Worst Band Member Replacements

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

cascarrabias

Worst Band Member Replacements

Post by cascarrabias »

Chris Cornell for RATM or whatever.

Jerry Only for the Misfits.

Dio for Ozzy in Black Sabbath *shudder*.

Anyone for Randy Rhodes in Ozzy Osbourne.

Anyone in Guns and Roses that wasn't there at the start.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Jason Newstead for Cliff Burton in Metallica.

Granted, they didnt really have a choice

hmm. I'm sure I'll think of more later. I'm drawing blanks.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Dave Navarro for RHCP, in the end, didn't pan out in the way it should have.

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

SYMantiks wrote:Dave Navarro for RHCP, in the end, didn't pan out in the way it should have.
not nearly as bad as the above mentioned. they still made some pretty great music together.

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

dead kennedys - jeff penalty or whoeverthefuck replaced jello biafra

From the land of the UNBANNED

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

Gary Cherone for Sammy Hagar for David Lee Roth.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

Billy Corgan replacing his Pumpkins crew with those Zwan hippies.

SYM

Post by SYM »

well that in that case, spicolli,
Kid B wrote:Gary Cherone for Sammy Hagar for David Lee Roth.
there's the definitive answer for this thread's query. JACKPOT!

"IGOTITMADE IGOTITMADE RIGHTNOW! HEY! I'M HOT FOR TEACHER. Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night. Remember, before you leave, I need money. Desperately."

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

I've got it bad, so bad.

SYM

Post by SYM »

David Lee Roth is, among other famous D&D characters, a drunk Lv. 50, I'll remind you.

sneed

Post by sneed »

Steve Augeri for Steve Perry (journey) sounds EXACTLY like Steve Perry but looks like Kenny G

that dude who replaced Wes in Limp Bizkit

John Carabi for Vince Neil in Motley Crue

That no name who replaced Scott Weiland in STP when they changed their name to "Talk Show"

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Re: Worst Band Member Replacements

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

cascarrabias wrote:Dio for Ozzy in Black Sabbath *shudder*.
RONNIE JAMES DIO wrote:I've had a long and checkered musical career, singing in great rock bands like Rainbow and Dio, but I have to say my favourite experience came from the time I replaced Ozzy Osbourne as singer of Black Sabbath.

Personally, I feel that Black Sabbath had shot its bolt by the time I joined. Their last successful record was quite a few years previous and Ozzy's problems were becoming well documented. Ozzy hated me for it but it wasn't like I went out to steal his job. I had been planning to record a song with Tony Iommi for months previous to Ozzy's departure.

Just prior to joining the band, I had a meeting with Tony and he said, "Can I play something for you?" and he played me a riff. I said, "Give me five minutes," came back with some lyrics, and that song ended up being "Children of the Sea."

The next thing I knew, Tony told me: "I don't want to play with Ozzy any more, Ronnie, I want to play with you."

We went on to make the classic Heaven And Hell record, which put the band back on the map both commercially and artistically.

Of course, this made Ozzy think I was a little bastard, and soon Geezer left the band as well. He had personal problems at the time. They're all very unusual people, but Geezer was especially not happy because it was traumatic for him for Ozzy to be gone.

We played our first show to a coliseum of 102,000 people and I have to say it went well. Of course, there were a few one-fingered salutes from the Ozzy faithful, but I didn't let that bother me. Even though I have more vocal talent than Ozzy, he was still a musical icon.

Soon after this, Bill Ward left the band on the eve of a gig in Denver, saying he couldn't face flying any more. Now, 26 member changes later, Black Sabbath are more famous and successful than they've ever been.

Thing is, I don't envy them at all. It's not like when I see a Ferrari driving past I think: "I hope that bastard crashes into a tree and dies." I think: "Cool, I'd like to end up owning a car like that someday."

RONNIE JAMES DIO

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

RONNIE JAMES DIO wrote:The next thing I knew, Tony told me: "I don't want to play with Ozzy any more, Ronnie, I want to play with you."
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Brian Johnson for Bon Scott in AC/DC (i mean, he's alright but he's no Bon Scott, is he.?).

James Williamson moving from bass to guitar on "raw power" relegating the god Ron Asheton, always the most important Stooge, from guitar to bass, so Williamson and Iggy could indulge their Mick and Keef fantasy.

The guy who replaced Damo Suzuki in Can after he bounced.

James Brown's lame session musician band after The J.B's and Bootsy Collins left.

Peter Cortner replacing Dave Smalley in Dag Nasty after "can i say?".

That guy they've currently got on bass to replace Nick Oliveri in Q.O.T.S.A.

That recent reincarnation of The Doors with that clown from The Cult trying to play the part of Jim Morrison.

I don't agree with those who think Henry Rollins replacing Keith Morris/ Chavo/Dez Cadena in Black Flag was the worst thing that happened to the group
i'd point to "damaged", "my war" and "slip it in" as evidence to back that up.
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

zizek

Post by zizek »

Worst Replacement Ever: Doug Yule taking over for Lou Reed in the Velvet Underground. Close motherfucking thread.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Trey Spruance/Dean Mentia/Jon Hudson replacing Jim Martin in Faith No More was a tragic mistake.

Funny enough, Mike Patton replacing Chuck Mosley is probably one of the best replacements ever.

Paul Bostaph is a great drummer, but trying to replace Dave Lombardo in Slayer is pretty much impossible. Good thing they fixed that shit.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:James Williamson moving from bass to guitar on "raw power" relegating the god Ron Asheton, always the most important Stooge, from guitar to bass, so Williamson and Iggy could indulge their Mick and Keef fantasy.
This is so true. Ron Asheton is one of the most underappreciated individuals in rock history. Some say HE was the founding father of punk rock. Hmm...

Dids

Post by Dids »

I know nothing of rock for the most part, but it seemed like the Hagar for Roth move changed Van Halen from a bad but fun band into a bad band that took them selves too seriously and made music for old people.

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Trey Spruance/Dean Mentia/Jon Hudson replacing Jim Martin in Faith No More was a tragic mistake.
I don't know about that really.

They still went onto make some great songs without him and Martin (I believe) was opposed to much of what was recorded for Angel Dust (argubly their best album) and the direction Patton was taking the band. Martin's abscence was missed, but not devestating.

If FNM had tried to keep going without Patton, now that would have been a tragic mistake.

But agreed that Patton was leaps and bounds above Mosley (although it is amusing to hear him on "Introduce Yourself" because I swear he's shitfaced on most songs).

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Zezik closed thread but Hagar/ Roth was up htere for me too.

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

cascarrabias wrote:Chris Cornell for RATM or whatever.
man WTF you dont like the band but you are being an asshole

how the fuck is audioslave even close to being the same type of band as rage

you just actin bitter, if you dont like audioslave fuck it, they arent tryin to be rage get over it

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

Kid B wrote:Gary Cherone for Sammy Hagar for David Lee Roth.
WINNER IS YOU

zizek

Post by zizek »

blessingindisguise wrote:Zezik closed thread but Hagar/ Roth was up htere for me too.
It's always weird when a band switches singers. In VH's case, Eddie obviously wanted to take the band in a more pussy adult contemporary direction. "Jump" was a song he'd been trying to get Roth to do for years,
but Roth thought synthesizers were gay. When they finally did it & it became their biggest hit, it was inevitable that the next album would be full of synthesizer crap. Roth knew this & left. Hagar was not a bad choice as a replacement, but as the new guy he had to sing whatever Eddie wanted him to. The follow-ups to 1984 were going to suck no matter who sang on them. Therfefore, Hagar for Roth is moot.