Movies that slipped under the radar...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

BayAreaHustla408

Post by BayAreaHustla408 »

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

you guys just beefed up my netflix list like woah. thanks.

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

BayAreaHustla408 wrote:Image
I GOT SOME BEERS LETS DRINK 'EM!!!!!!!!....................That one's not beer"
I just showed my neighbors "The Way of The Gun" because they had never even HEARD of it.

If it is indeed slept on, thats a crime.

charlie sheen's microwave

Post by charlie sheen's microwave »

Sankofa wrote:
Box of Moonlight-Another DiCillo flick, this being the earliest Sam Rockwell movie I've seen. Keep in mind, this was before his oddball/hipster schtick got tired. John Turturro comes through with yet another dope performance as a 9-5er whose life is about to change. Note the similiarities between parts of this movie and a national advertising campaign. This movie is notable (as is Living In Oblivion) for having Catherine Keener in a role other than Cruella deVille.

This is my kind of thread, thanks for starting it.
Good call, I love that movie.

Add The Spanish Prisoner to this list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120176/

David Mamet flick starring Steve Martin in a "serious" role. Great film...

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Narc-Ray Liotta is a LION in this movie as crooked cop Henry Oak, his character introduction scene involves him holding an icebag to his head while stuffing a pool ball into a sock, a large biker guy gets taken past him in cuffs and Oak has at him. Jason Patric as the straight guy is dope. Extra points for Busta Rhymes getting the cinema beat down of his life. This is a gritty movie.

The Salton Sea-This movie impressed me so much I went and checked imdb for director DJ Caruso's next movie only to end up going to see the atrocious flick with Ethan Hawke and Angelina Jolie. I recently re-checked imdb for any updates on the screenwriter and he's done nothing outside of Murder by Numbers (yeah, I can't be bothered figuring out which numbers equal each letter) and The Salton Sea. Vincent D'Onofrio eating up scenery with his fake nose having meth dealer, Val Kilmer as an addict, Peter Sarsgaard (first time I saw him in a flick and thought "damn, this dude stole the show), Doug Hutchison (speaking of actors who had some buzz-Green Mile's spoiled brat guard-who disappeared) doing the sleazy cop bit to perfection, Anthony LaPaglia as his crooked cop partner, everyman Luis Guzman as an abusive hood, Glen Plummer with a badass speargun and Deborah (strange nose) Kara Unger as someone in the mix with bonus points for Adam Goldberg and BD Wong.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Haven't seen Narc, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Salton Sea'. That was probably the best role and performance I'd seen from Kilmer in a long ass time, and it's probably gonna be a long time before he tops it.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

nevermind

MaskedTerror # 2

Post by MaskedTerror # 2 »

It is probably talked about here a good amount, but Shallow Grave is one of my favorite flicks. First Danny Boyl film.

And I still think the Wanderers falls into this category.

Masked Terror # 2- The Violent One

"The pleasure was yours"

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

And I still think the Wanderers falls into this category.
It does indeed.

I'll second Narc.
which reminds me, what about this..?

I keep meaning to rent it but always forget
i never hear anyone talk about it
and i can't recall anyone posting about it on here.

Is it because it's managed to slip through the cracks
or because it stinks..?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Sankofa wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
Hasenfefer wrote:Image
Great movie, great pick.
Indeed, just don't make my mistake by checking out I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead is my shit. I was gonna nominate that. :sad:

Also

You can't write off Francie Brady, apple-cheeked hero of The Butcher Boy, as a bad seed and have done with him. In Irish director Neil Jordan's often-surreal fairy tales, bad seeds grow the fruit of subversive knowledge: A master of blending the everyday with the truly mad and wonderfully weird, Jordan loves to encourage charismatic anarchists--driven by amoral energy and imagination--to attack the status quo with extreme prejudice. Exuberant Francie (Eamonn Owens, making a splendid debut) is a thorn in the side of rural Irish repression and hypocrisy. Better to call this smart, too-sensitive brat an ambulatory Rorschach, an uncensored billboard of his disapproving society's uglier truths and fears. A nonstop standup comedian ("And the Francie Brady Not a Bad Bastard Anymore Award goes to--Great God, I think it's Francie Brady!"), he projects fantasies of '60s cold war paranoia (atomic warfare leaves his village a graveyard of charred pigs), American "cowboys and Indians" pop culture, and Catholic Madonna worship (Sinead O'Connor appears as an earthy Virgin Mary). But Francie's rich fantasy life is no match for reality's "slings and arrows": His abusive da (Stephen Rea) pickles himself in drink, his fragile mother edges closer to suicide, "blood brother" Joe turns Judas, and a punitive stint at a Catholic reformatory ends with our Gaelic Holden Caulfield tricked out in girlish bonnet and ruffles, plaything of an addled old priest (Milo O'Shea). No wonder Francie's ultimately driven to exorcize his own Wicked Witch of the West. (He sees Mrs. Nugent (Fiona Shaw), self-righteous pillar of a callous community, as the cause of his cursed life.) Laced with tragedy and hilarity, great beauty and horror, Jordan's adaptation of the Patrick McCabe bestseller mutates the adventures of Francie Brady--psychotic killer, performance artist, and purest innocent--into a sort of saint's life. --Kathleen Murphy

The cast in this movie is fucking ridiculous... You can't ask for much more than Gary Oldman and Sean Penn in a movie together:

Sean Penn, Ed Harris, Gary Oldman, Robin Wright, John Turturro, and John C. Reilly.

Overshadowed by GoodFellas when it was released in 1990, State of Grace gradually emerged as one of the best New York gangster films of its decade. It was also the first to feature the Irish American mob known as the Westies. Here, their territory west of Times Square is being gentrified by an unwelcome infusion of yuppie cash, squeezing them into a reluctant alliance with Mafia kingpins. Frankie (Ed Harris) is the boss; little brother Jackie (Gary Oldman) is his volatile muscle; their friend Terry (Sean Penn) has returned from an extended absence, harboring a dangerous secret while rekindling his love for Frankie and Jackie's sister Kathleen (Robin Wright, Penn's future wife). Giving one of his scariest, most violent performances, Oldman offers stark, brutal contrast to Harris's pent-up fury, while Penn breathes life into his character's standard-issue dilemma. A former prot

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Icesickle wrote: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead is my shit. I was gonna nominate that. :sad:
Don't mind me, I thought Sexy Beast sucked.

I'd like to put in a shout out for Dirty, Pretty Things-that movie really resonated with me.
Last edited by Sankofa on Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:what about this..?

It's the reason I've waited to sign up for my 2 week free Blockbuster copying Netflix trial. Top of the queue.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Sankofa wrote:I'd like to put in a shout out for Dirty, Pretty Things-that movie really resonated with me.
Alright, this is getting damn redundant, but... I love this movie as well. I remember the script being nominated for an Oscar or something.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Icesickle wrote:Image
I'd forgotten about this movie, I saw it a couple years back. Dope stuff and ruthless.

bent

Re: Movies that slipped under the radar...

Post by bent »

Cleanhobo wrote: 'Chopper' is another movie that nobody I know has a clue about, yet I've seen it talked about on here a few times. This movie is hilarious but I'm not gonna write a synopsis or anything, since I have a feeling more of you've seen this than I'd expect.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Re: Movies that slipped under the radar...

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

bent wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote: 'Chopper' is another movie that nobody I know has a clue about, yet I've seen it talked about on here a few times. This movie is hilarious but I'm not gonna write a synopsis or anything, since I have a feeling more of you've seen this than I'd expect.
I mean, who wouldn't find that hilarious?