The Stooges - Fun House

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

mud

The Stooges - Fun House

Post by mud »

Heard this for the first time last night,great album,i'm gonna have to check out the s/t and raw power too.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

It's the shit
one of the best albums ever made, i think.

You could talk about how it has everything the bands who try to emulate The Stooges just didn't understand
how it perfectly synthesized funk and jazz into bluesy garage rock
how, although Iggy is a great frontman, the Asheton brothers (Ron on guitar, Scott on drums) were the real heart of The Stooges
how the album gets progressively derranged as it goes on when the saxophone is introduced before the "l.a blues" meltdown at the end
how it's the best album in the world to fuck to
but you're too busy rockin' out to the dirtiest, most savage rock album i've ever heard.

I'd say go for the first album before "raw power"
it's similar to "funhouse", just with the guitars more fuzzed out and with less emphasis on the pounding rhythm section
you have classic tracks like "1969", "i wanna be your dog", "no fun" and "little doll"
although it has a blip with the 10 minute Morrison-influenced(not in a good way, either) "we will fall" in the middle
but i even sorta like that these days.

"Raw power" is a weird one
it's very good but definately an acquired taste
it sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom on a dictophone and was a step backwards to basic Stones-meets-Sonics garage rock
Iggy relegated Ron Asheton to bass duties so he could indulge in his Stones fantasies with former bass player James Williamson thus it lacks the wild Asheton guitar work of the other two albums
and it doesn't quite work for me the way the other Stooges albums do although the title track, "search and destroy", "shake appeal" and "death trip" are all classic Stooges
definately give that one a listen before you buy it.

mud

Post by mud »

"the stooges" is very good too,not as good as fun house though,that last track is terrible.

Breath Mint

Post by Breath Mint »

Definitely one of the best albums of all time.

zizek

Post by zizek »

A convincing case can be made for this being the best rock album ever.

It definitely provoked the best review ever, Lester Bangs' two part Creem review, available in "Pychotic Reactions..."

All of punk rock was trying to get at this and mostly failing.

The_Kernel

Post by The_Kernel »

it's one of those albums that you like more each time you listen to it. Intangible dopeness for sure

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Great album definitly worth copping.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

I just got into this album a little while ago and I love it, although I'm not even all that into punk music. it just straight up rocks.

I_Drive_A_Lexus broke it all down nicely.

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

never heard it, or really checke dout The Stooges. I'm going to have to look for this now. I've been wanting to check them out for a while but lack of funds has got me down.

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

See now I like Raw Power better. Shake Appeal is my shit. I saw the Stooges last year with Mike Watt on bass. Iggy still rips shit.