Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

cascarrabias

Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me

Post by cascarrabias »

One of the best albums of the 90s. Sludgefeast is my favorite track.

What else of theirs is better, the equivalent or close?

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

The Lung is my favourite track off here.

Bug is probably the closest (I like it just as much), then the self titled, then maybe Green Mind.

For all those in London who missed the show at the Forum, they're playing another show in August...

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/line_ ... 8&view=515

They're basically playing this album from start to finish.

mud

Post by mud »

anyone wanna upload one of these dinosaur jr albums,the dudes are mentioned nearly everday in curb,i have to check them out.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

One of the best albums of the 90s
Late 80s, nigga
such a dope album though
it rocks incredibly hard with J. Mascis killin' the wah-wah guitaring fx but the harmonies and song-writing are just as good
it's pretty much perfect.

Co-sign what Yak B said about "bug" and "green mind" although i've not heard the debut.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:
One of the best albums of the 90s
Late 80s, nigga
Shit.

It sounds 90s though.
I Drive A Lexus wrote:it rocks incredibly hard with J. Mascis killin' the wah-wah guitaring fx
Yes. I love that messy distortion. And I got all excited when I heard the wah wah. You rarely, if ever, hear the wah wah pedal put to good use. Especially in the grunge genre. Or am I mistaken again?

Shit.

It sounds 90s though.
Yeah, it was definately ahead of it's time.
You rarely, if ever, hear the wah wah pedal put to good use. Especially in the grunge genre. Or am I mistaken again?
Depends on how you define grunge
if you mean horseshit like Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots then hell no
but if you mean early Mudhoney and some Nirvana or Soundgarden then yes and perhaps.

I'd say out of all the bands that've emulated Dinosaur Jr, none of them have really matched them in either rockin'-out or song-writin'
let alone infusing both elements together.

Breath Mint

Post by Breath Mint »

By far their best album. They just reissued this and few others from their catalogue this year, which are definitely worth checking out if you're a big fan. Modern Sonic Youth is heavily influenced by this stuff.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

You guys are the ones that got me interested in Dinosaur Jr., and they are quickly becoming one of my favorites. I have only listened to the first five tracks of Bug so far (in depth at least). I love the song "Let it Ride" the most out of these, but all are great. I plan to give both albums an extensive listen and probably will purchase a studio copy afterwards.

This is probably a good opportunity to thank Money Gripp, JBL, and Yak for putting me on to alot of shit that I now love. You guys are appreciated.

Modern Sonic Youth is heavily influenced by this stuff.
Other way around
Sonic Youth have been putting out music since 1980 and were a big influence on J Mascis and Lou Barlow breaking up their old hardcore band Deep Wound and doing somethin' a lil' different with Dinosaur Jr
and they wanted to be on and ended up getting signed to SST Records because all their favorite bands - Black Flag, Husker Du, Minutemen, Meat Puppets and, yep, Sonic Youth - were on there.

tpp

Post by tpp »

What a great album.

I'm definately gonna try and make it to that show in August even if it means driving back down to London and back up here for work the next day.

zizek

Post by zizek »

Sonic Youth's "Teenage Riot" is about what if J. Mascis were President,
hence the "It takes a teenage riot to get me out of bed" line.

Breath Mint

Post by Breath Mint »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:
Modern Sonic Youth is heavily influenced by this stuff.
Other way around
Sonic Youth have been putting out music since 1980 and were a big influence on J Mascis and Lou Barlow breaking up their old hardcore band Deep Wound and doing somethin' a lil' different with Dinosaur Jr
and they wanted to be on and ended up getting signed to SST Records because all their favorite bands - Black Flag, Husker Du, Minutemen, Meat Puppets and, yep, Sonic Youth - were on there.
There's no question that Sonic Youth were an influence on Dinosaur when they started. But the smoother, less chaotic post Jet Set releases of SY were largely a result of listening to Dinosaur Jr. Thurston made that very clear a number of times.

mud

Post by mud »

mud wrote:anyone wanna upload one of these dinosaur jr albums