Wilco and The Roots Live

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Wilco and The Roots Live

Post by Icesickle »

Saw their show at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland Sunday...good, good stuff. Definatly check it out if they come to your town.

The Roots did their usual jam session/cover thing; I didn't recognize the girl they had with them but whoever she was her voice was incredible. She covered Seed 2.0 and did this Aretha Franklin-esque vocal bellowing shit that was pretty impressive.

Wilco played nearly 3 hours, and layed it all on the line. They mostly played songs from their last 3 albums (A Ghost is Born an YHF especially) and closed off their set with "Spiders," a 9 minute epic that is incredible live. You could tell playing these stadium shows is a "Lose Yourself" moment for Jeff Tweedy; and out of all the bands, Wilco most rightly deserves the shine they're now going...and they're are a perfect band for a stadium show. The biggest sign of how much a band respects their audience is if they come out for an encore, and--when they do--what they play. Wilco's notorious for playing 2 encores, and they played 4 songs in the first and 5 songs in the second. It was dissapointing that only about 1/3 of the crowd new "Monday" and "Outasite," the 2 songs that led off their second encore, cause they should of brought the house down instead of just engendering agreeing nods.

Sankofa

Re: Wilco and The Roots Live

Post by Sankofa »

Icesickle wrote:I didn't recognize the girl they had with them but whoever she was her voice was incredible. She covered Seed 2.0 and did this Aretha Franklin-esque vocal bellowing shit that was pretty impressive.
Jaguar?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Re: Wilco and The Roots Live

Post by Icesickle »

Sankofa wrote:[quote="Icesickle"I didn't recognize the girl they had with them but whoever she was her voice was incredible. She covered Seed 2.0 and did this Aretha Franklin-esque vocal bellowing shit that was pretty impressive.
Jaguar?[/quote]

Jaguar was on Unplugged with Jay-Z right?

Well, if that was her, she must've lost 75 pounds cause that girl looked nothing like her.

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

that sounds like a dope show. big ups to :wutang: ilco. "YHF" is classic...
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

still waiting to see wilco live
missed my chance at the 930 in dc
fuck..fuck..fuck
still one of the top 5 bands around these days
outta site outta mind would made me flip my lid
moved by duck muscles

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

Motherfucka I'm jealous

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

I saw Wilco in Virginia last year with the Fiery Furnaces and it was on another plane of dope. They elicit emotional responses from me that I don't get from a lot of other bands.