Buildin the Criterion collection...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Re: Buildin the Criterion collection...

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah. Well it runs til the 20th I believe.

Just picked up:
Naked
In the Mood for Love
The Game
Three Colors Trilogy

citizen

Post by citizen »

the game would be awesome on blu ray, it has an alternate ending on it, which sounds interesting

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

citizen wrote:the game would be awesome on blu ray, it has an alternate ending on it, which sounds interesting
So I watched this last night; the new transfer is awesome, I seriously forgot how great looking this movie is.
The "alternate" ending is beyond dumb though. I'm not even going to bother with spoiler tags because it's literally is just him walking out of the building. That's it.
The behind the scenes extras make up for it though, seeing how they filmed the fall was especially cool.

citizen

Post by citizen »

the alternate should have been something like michael douglas stabbing the bald actor guy and then throwing him off the roof and then all the people being like what were you doing it was just a game

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I agree I was expecting something way darker...his brother actually being dead or that he actually was being ripped off or he just straight up kills himself, the end.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

February Titles. Fucking OTWF and Sansho upgrade in the same month. Ballad of Narayama sounds interesting too.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

On the Waterfront's extras are mind-boggling too. 2 discs, 3 different aspect ratios, 3 documentaries. Sounds like they gave it the Night of the Hunter treatment.

•New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Alternate presentations of the restoration in two additional aspect ratios: 1.85:1 (widescreen) and 1.33:1 (full-screen)
•Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
•Commentary featuring authors Richard Schickel and Jeff Young
•Conversation between filmmaker Martin Scorsese and critic Kent Jones
•Elia Kazan: Outsider (1982), an hour-long documentary
•New documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with scholar Leo Braudy, critic David Thomson, and others
•New interview with actress Eva Marie Saint
•Interview with director Elia Kazan from 2001
•Contender, a 2001 documentary on the film’s most famous scene
•New interview with longshoreman Thomas Hanley, an actor in the film
•New interview with author James T. Fisher (On the Irish Waterfront) about the real-life people and places behind the film
•Visual essay on Leonard Bernstein’s score
•Visual essay on the aspect ratio
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Almereyda and reprints of Kazan’s 1952 ad in the New York Times defending his testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee, one of the 1948 New York Sun articles by Malcolm Johnson on which the film was based, and a 1953 Commonweal piece by screenwriter Budd Schulberg

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

criterion dropping bombs and shit. Amazing month, been a while since they've had one where I need every single release.
March titles:

Pretty sweet that we're getting blurays of the OG Blob and the Johnny Drama remake right around the same time next year.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Holy shit, "A Man Escaped"!! Absolutely one of the best prison break movies of all time. Shaping up to be an amazing 2013 for criterion.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

jamrage wrote:Holy shit, "A Man Escaped"!! Absolutely one of the best prison break movies of all time. Shaping up to be an amazing 2013 for criterion.
werd up.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Did I get a good deal on this? I never heard of this film.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Haven't seen it but any criterion is a steal for 2 bucks.

I don't know if anyone saw the NYE drawing they put out in the newsletter, but we are getting Cronenberg's Scanners this year, which is fucking awesome.
And that also means we'll be getting The Brood at some point too.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Patriotism is really good, and a great companion piece to Criterion's release of Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Patriotism is one of the cheaper Criterions cause it's a short film. I'm immensely fascinated by Yukio Mishima so maybe I'm on my own in liking it so much

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

:cheers:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

^^^yeah soo awesome....been hoping that the rumors of this one coming were true since MoC put it out in the UK.

rest of the month is pretty sweet too. Kobayashi box set came out of nowhere, never was even rumored to be coming as far as I know...but that shit looks incredible.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

May:

Glad to finally see some more westerns in the collection. Haven't seen Jubal but 3:10 is great.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:On the Waterfront's extras are mind-boggling too. 2 discs, 3 different aspect ratios, 3 documentaries. Sounds like they gave it the Night of the Hunter treatment.

•New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Alternate presentations of the restoration in two additional aspect ratios: 1.85:1 (widescreen) and 1.33:1 (full-screen)
•Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
•Commentary featuring authors Richard Schickel and Jeff Young
•Conversation between filmmaker Martin Scorsese and critic Kent Jones
•Elia Kazan: Outsider (1982), an hour-long documentary
•New documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with scholar Leo Braudy, critic David Thomson, and others
•New interview with actress Eva Marie Saint
•Interview with director Elia Kazan from 2001
•Contender, a 2001 documentary on the film’s most famous scene
•New interview with longshoreman Thomas Hanley, an actor in the film
•New interview with author James T. Fisher (On the Irish Waterfront) about the real-life people and places behind the film
•Visual essay on Leonard Bernstein’s score
•Visual essay on the aspect ratio
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Almereyda and reprints of Kazan’s 1952 ad in the New York Times defending his testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee, one of the 1948 New York Sun articles by Malcolm Johnson on which the film was based, and a 1953 Commonweal piece by screenwriter Budd Schulberg
Interesting piece on why this is being released with 3 different aspect ratios.

I'm pretty sure I've only seen the full screen version, but based on the comparisons they show in the video, that looks to be the proper one, though, each seems to have its own merit.

I will be picking this one up at the next 50% off sale.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

50% off sale for the next 24 hours on criterion's website. Just use the code FLASHY. www.criterion.com

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

:cheers:

just picked up Brazil, The Game & Umberto D.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Nice picks. I grabbed Ivan's Childhood, Au Revoir Les Enfants & Sansho the Bailiff

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

June. Another awesome month.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

All about Things To Come
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dear Criterion collectors,

We wanted to let you know that the following titles are going out of print effective March 31:

Army of Shadows
Le cercle rouge
Le doulos
Last Year at Marienbad
Léon Morin, Priest
Mafioso

We have limited stock on hand, and will be selling copies through the 31st, while supplies last. As in the past, we hope to relicense the films so that they can rejoin the collection sometime in the future.

Sincerely,
The Criterion Collection
Sad and surprising they couldn't keep the Melville's under contract (esp since Leon Morin just came out last year).
Hopefully they can get blurays of Le Samourai and Second Breath out before they suffer the same fate.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Eighteen of Satyajit Ray's films will soon be restored to iimprove their longevity

Ray's timeless classics will now be protected from the ravages of time. The Criterion Collection, which has restored some of the world's best-known classics and critically successful obscure movies like 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' (1928), M (1931), 'The Children of Paradise' (1945) apart from Chaplin films and works of Akira Kurosawa, is set to do a repeat with 18 of Satyajit Ray's movies.

Having bought the home video rights of The Apu Trilogy, Charulata, Mahanagar and Nayak among others, they are set to do "frame by frame" restoration before distributing them in the US and Canada. What's more, director Abbey Lustgartern is in town to film personal accounts shared by artistes who have worked with Ray, to go with each film.

Abbey, who has a couple of days shoot left in Kolkata, says, "Apart from restoration of the films, it's important to keep an account of the film's making. I am not just doing interviews with actors but also technicians and film historians. It's an honour doing a project on Satyajit Ray."
Location coordinator Abhra Bhattacharya, who is helping Abbey, says the only film whose restoration is complete so far is Jalsaghar. "From colour correction to scratch removal, the team working on this project is going all out to ensure that the films' longevity is improved. By April 2014, all other films will be restored. To increase the appeal of the films abroad, Abbey and team are documenting the personal experiences of the artistes. They came down after doing their research and started by doing Sharmila Tagore's interview in Delhi. The only key person, who is not being interviewed is Sandip Ray, who himself reasoned that he didn't have too many memories when the said movies were shot. But he has been kind enough to let the team shoot in his house and specially in Ray's room."

Among those interviewed is Ujjal Chakraborty, known for his illustrations in Sandesh — the magazine edited by Ray. "I spoke about how different or similar his illustrations are in comparison to the compositions in front of the camera. In an hour-long interview, I was also asked if the visual symbols in Aparajito are far greater in number than those in Pather Panchali and Apur Sansar," he says.

Madhabi Mukherjee, who has given a long interview, to be broken into three parts to go with three films, says, "A lot of Ray's artistes are not alive like Chhabi Biswas, so the team has spoken to film journalists. I am extremely grateful to Ray and it's out of this feeling, I share my experiences." The team is set to meet Soumitra Chatterjee next. Says the actor, "Though I am not aware of the project, Abbey has got in touch with me."
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... sandip-ray

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

About fucking time.

----------------------------------

Really wanted Le Doulos on Blu Ray. That's one of my favorites. Already have AoS and LCR

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Mignola cover art?

Dan

Post by Dan »

drizzle wrote:Image

Mignola cover art?
Spine #666.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

drizzle wrote:Image

Mignola cover art?
yup. did Cronos too.

Panama

Post by Panama »

Too dope

Is the Devil's backbone a good film? I've only heard great things

edit........

Oh shit the Ice Storm coming out too.....time to sell my dvd copy
Last edited by Panama on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

It is, def worth a rental at the very least. Works on its own merits and also lays down all the groundwork for Pan's Labyrinth, which has a lot of same ideas and themes as realized in a fuller way with a bigger budget.