Buildin the Criterion collection...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I just watched

Pretty stunning. I'd have to reach to find something negative to say about it. Perfectly paced. I am a sucker for minimalism, so the restraint in the dialogue/interaction did alot for me. The open landscapes had the effect on me of "breathing" for the movie, and was greatly effective in this way. Turned it off feeling more satisfied with a movie than I've felt in a while.

Which movies of the past 5 years or so do you guys feel are deserving of eventual criterion treatment? One that hops to mind is "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".
the boy is the father to the man

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah Revanche is on some really low-key basic humanity shit and is really great.

I'd rather Criterion focus on releasing movies that aren't already readily available in the states. Assassination is great but already has a fine release, although minus all the bells and whistles. (Dominick and Pitt have a new movie together coming out next year btw).

Something like Chan-wook Park's I'm A Cyborg But That's OK fits the bill (Great film by a well-known director without an American release).

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

Love Cyborg. My favorite CWP movie besides Mr. Vengeance, which rattled me. Cyborg is a good choice, though. Quirk factor helps. Imagination is flying at the cover possibilities.

I don't consider what DVDS have been released where in my choosing because to me criterion is sort of a hall of fame club, with undefined yet expected aesthetic criteria. Or something. Plus, I don't know what movies have been released where.

Another that springs to mind is Children of Men, although it is a bit hollow. I think alot of movies deserve to be in over it, but it just seems like a movie that would fit in well with their catalogue.

Didn't know that about Pitt and that director. Instantly near the top of the brain queue.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Revanche is great! It's one of those few subtitled films that doesn't show the English translation of the title. After watching it, you don't even need to Google what 'revanche' translates to, it just becomes so obvious.

I remember catching this film on the day before it was to expire from Instant Netflix. So glad I did. Soon after watching it, I ended up buying it on Blu-ray.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I guessed what it meant early on, but I never noticed that they didn't subtitle it. I sorted the hulu criterion releases by year of release so that was how I caught it, and was quite surprised. If I ever get a blu ray player it would be near the top of my buy list.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Monte Hellman interview about his new movie coming out but in it he mentions that he's working with Criterion to put out new editions of both his Jack Nicholson westerns, The Shooting and Ride In The Whirlwind. Probably not coming out til 2012 but I'm pumped.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/mov ... 1629f397b6

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Also, apparently they are putting out a new release of Gojira/Godzilla KotM

http://augustragone.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... zilla.html

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

considering montie's gawdlike icon status i wouldn't be surprsied if his new one went straight to criterion too
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

If it's any good, they will. He's like 80 and has been out of the game for a long time but I'm optimistic. They should go after the rights for more of his old catalogue, almost all of it needs proper releases or what has been released is OOP. Ride With the Whirlwind and Cockfighter both are like $50 for a used copy.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

cockfighter is one the most fucked up movies i have seen

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

perfectprism wrote:cockfighter is one the most fucked up movies i have seen
? that's a strange assessment, it's mostly a love story

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I don't know, seeing those roosters tear each other apart really messed with me for some reason

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I find roosters and chickens really unsettling anyways, I just never realized it until I read the Herzog quote about it

for reference: "Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity. It is a kind of bottomless stupidity, a fiendish stupidity. They are the most horrifying, cannibalistic and nightmarish creatures in the world."

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh yeah i guess if you have a thing against chickens than it woudl be kinda fucked

as far as the herzog quote, keep in mind this is the same guy who said antarctica was tainted by the evils of yoga classes. i love him to death, but ...

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Herzog's rant on the vileness of nature in the Burden of Dreams doc is pretty much the greatest fucking thing ever.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I really want to watch that doc, but I need to watch Fitzcarraldo first..when Herzog speaks I listen

I tried finding that yoga quote but all I could find is him saying in response to someone asking him about spirituality: ג€œI do not do yoga, for example,ג€ he said. ג€œI find it an abomination.ג€ :lol:

whad he say about antarctica? I can't figure out how he can shift from absolute brilliance to absolute craziness i.e. the albino alligators in forgotten

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Some speculation on the criterioncast blog that we might be eventually getting a Hideo Gosha eclipse set.
Janus is showing Three Outlaw Samurai and Bandits Vs. Samurai Squadron at an upcoming film festival and they already have the rights to Death Shadows and Hunter in the Dark.
Would be cool as hell, been a while since they released any chanbara

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Some speculation on the criterioncast blog that we might be eventually getting a Hideo Gosha eclipse set.
Janus is showing Three Outlaw Samurai and Bandits Vs. Samurai Squadron at an upcoming film festival and they already have the rights to Death Shadows and Hunter in the Dark.
Would be cool as hell, been a while since they released any chanbara
:jiz:

prism the yoga quote is from encounters at the edge of the world

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

FB75K promo code on criterion.com. 50% off all instock dvds and blu rays for about the next 46000 seconds.

picked up Leon Morin, Priest and The Music Room on blu ray

have never seen either
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

awww shit, suzuki on bluray yall. Both of them badly needed remastered too, good news.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

wow those suzuki covers are something else

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

They fit the style of the movies pretty well, imo. Like them much better than the revised Fuller covers.

Was just thinking, if you look at what they've remastered/rereleased in the past couple years, the only titles they still have the rights to that they haven't redone in the first 30 spine numbers are A Night To Remember, Summertime, Picnic at Hanging Rock and the Samurai Trilogy.
Picnic is almost a guarantee considering its already gotten a blu in the UK, but I will nut all over myself if they would redo the Samurai Trilogy.

Read somewhere else that next year is the 100 year anniversary of the Titanic sinking, probably highly likely they will redo A Night To Remember around the same time.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Fuck yeah. RUSHMORE gets the BR Criterion release...

JANUARY release...

so whats good with this Dr. Moreau movie. worth copping? super dope cover!!!

Dan

Post by Dan »

Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale starts November 1-21.

I was really looking forward to picking up new releases 12 Angry Men and Rushmore, but they don't come out until the 22nd, the day after the sale ends.

Oh well, still plan on taking advantage of the sale, just don't know what I'm picking up yet.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I wish the Suzuki's were coming out in time for the sale as well.

Don't really plan on splurging this time around, I've mostly caught up with their bluray releases of stuff I need to have right this moment, which almost assuredly means i'll walk into a store and end up buying a ton of shit anyways. I'm definitely going to finally get Blow Out, maybe Black Moon, Kuroneko and 3 Women too.
Still a bunch of the dvd releases I want but I'm hoping they keep getting around to rereleasing everything on blu and I'm not trying to double dip on shit.

Panama

Post by Panama »

I'm going in hard on this sell

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

getting copped. this shit is hilarious!!!

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Dan wrote:Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale starts November 1-21.

I was really looking forward to picking up new releases 12 Angry Men and Rushmore, but they don't come out until the 22nd, the day after the sale ends.

Oh well, still plan on taking advantage of the sale, just don't know what I'm picking up yet.
See if you can pre-purchase them at the sale price. Ask at least, sometimes you can do shit like that.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

already have my list for 50% off sale... couple double dips, couple blind purchases...

whats up with this list?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Not too familiar with the Four Feathers, but the first 3 you listed are all must-owns for me and Island of Lost Souls is the first film version of the Dr. Moreau story and I've heard nothing but good things. Pretty sure its the first Bela Lugosi appearance in the collection as well.