Buildin the Criterion collection...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Dan

Post by Dan »

I went today. Had my Buzz text message and a $5 off $50 coupon ready to show on my phone. Lady at the counter had never heard of Buzz, so she had to call a manager, who also was unfamiliar with it. I asked if I could use it for each Blu-ray and was told no, said i could only use it once. Then I asked if I could make separate purchases and got denied again. So, rang up the total and I showed my $5 off $50 coupon and was told that it was a fake code on the coupon and not valid.
Spent more than I had hoped, but still got each Criterion 60% off MSRP with my membership.

Picked up:

The 400 Blows
Chunking Express
The Gold Rush
Harold and Maude
The Naked Kiss
Shallow Grave
Shock Corridor
Something Wild
Tokyo Drifter

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

That sucks man. Nice selections though. I've never tried to get a cashier to ring up each bluray individually to use the buzz code. I just pop in, buy one with the code and then come back later and do it again when there's a different cashier working. Although now I've done it so many times I've hit the same cashier twice, but still no problems using it. Should mention my office is literally a block from my B&N so its really easy for me to make lots of trips.

Added Letter Never Sent, The Gold Rush and Army of Shadows (upgrade) to my haul since my last post.

Tommy Bunz

Re: Buildin the Criterion collection...

Post by Tommy Bunz »

November 6
Rashomon

November 13
Trilogy of Life

Weekend

November 20
Heaven's Gate

Eclipse Series 37: When Horror Came to Shochiku

That eclipse set looks fucking amazing

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

oh man, buying that eclipse set for goke alone. i was really pissed when i missed it at the latest asian fest. look at thsi shti

http://www.filmlinc.com/films/on-sale/g ... -from-hell
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Panama

Post by Panama »

In for Rashomon

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Any news on the "On the Waterfront" Criterion release?
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

the trilogy of life cover is TRILL!

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

today's newsletter clue. I'm stumped, no one on the criterion forums has figured it out yet either

:icedit: current C forum guess is the Qatsi trilogy (caught C's). Has to be it, been rumored forever

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

:rockout:
Hey Jon,

Is there any chance you guys will be releasing any more of Hitchcock's public domain catalogue, specifically the original The Man Who Knew Too Much? I have been knocked flat by your Blu-rays of both The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

---

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your email. I'm glad you've enjoyed our recent Hitchcock Blu-ray releases!

We license all of our films - even the ones that might be considered public domain - directly from the original production companies or their successors and representatives. By paying royalties to the owners of the films, we can obtain access to the original and best materials available and use those materials for our releases.

We'd love to have more Hitchcock films and I'm happy to say that we'll be releasing THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH next year and it looks great.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and thank you
for supporting Criterion.

Best,

Jon Mulvaney

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

$13.98 on Amazon right now. Great deal, great fucking movies.
http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Samuel-Ar ... pse+series

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Image

$13.98 on Amazon right now. Great deal, great fucking movies.
http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Samuel-Ar ... pse+series
I've always been hesitant to buy any Eclipse series set since they're DVD only. Is there a reason why these don't get the Blu-ray treatment?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

There's probably a better explanation on Criterion's site but the eclipse series was made so they could release the lesser-known titles they had in their catalogue in cheap, affordable editions.
They can release them at a lower price point because they aren't spending money on expensive remasters or special features, and most of the titles probably wouldn't sell well if released by themselves (and a lot of these sets are to specifically shine light on an artist's work that isn't well-known in the mainstream). I doubt any of these films will ever be released in blu-ray.

And this set is really a no-brainer at this price, Jesse James is a quality western, Baron of Arizona is one of Vincent Price's best roles and Steel Helmet is the movie that really put Fuller on the map.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:There's probably a better explanation on Criterion's site but the eclipse series was made so they could release the lesser-known titles they had in their catalogue in cheap, affordable editions.
They can release them at a lower price point because they aren't spending money on expensive remasters or special features, and most of the titles probably wouldn't sell well if released by themselves (and a lot of these sets are to specifically shine light on an artist's work that isn't well-known in the mainstream). I doubt any of these films will ever be released in blu-ray.

And this set is really a no-brainer at this price, Jesse James is a quality western, Baron of Arizona is one of Vincent Price's best roles and Steel Helmet is the movie that really put Fuller on the map.
Thanks for the explanation. Wish I would've known this back in July. I would've picked up that Robert Downey, Sr. set.

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

that sam fuller set is dope as fuck. I was a mite hesitant about the whole eclipse thing as well but if it lets folks see shit like a gun is my passport or I shot jesse james then it cant be anything other than a good thing
Hemingway Novel Model

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

December.

Funny that this gets announced today. Was literally looking at the old dvd of this just the other day but didn't want to spend out-of-print prices.

Following is another one of those titles that has been rumored for years now, seems like the only serious rumor that surfaced at the same time that hasn't come true yet is Thief. Really wish they would put it fucking out already.
Can't wait to see Brazil in hi-def.

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

fuck yeah brazil, my favorite movie

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Good to see Following get a Criterion release. Good film.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

50% off sale ONE DAY ONLY over at criterion.com

Dan

Post by Dan »

50% off sale going on right now at www.criterion.com. Sale ends at noon edt tomorrow.

Use code FLASH.

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs
:fail:

Dan

Post by Dan »

Just a heads up, but Chunking Express is now out of print. Can't get it from the sale, but you can still find it other places while it's still affordable.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Only wanted to get The Game since the next B&N sale is not that far off and I still have a big backlog of criterions to watch.
Fucker is already sold out at 8 this morning.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Ended up upgrading my copies of 8 1/2, Naked Kiss and Branded to Kill.

new newsletter hint

bad pun for badlands?
sure hope so

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Ended up upgrading my copies of 8 1/2, Naked Kiss and Branded to Kill.

new newsletter hint

bad pun for badlands?
sure hope so

Silence of the Lambs?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Silence is already out on blu though and I'd be surprised if they'd be able to get the rights back to it.
Only reason they put it out before was because they had it on laserdisc and it was one of the first dvd titles released before the format was really profitable.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Tommy Bunz wrote: Can't wait to see Brazil in hi-def.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Pina will be Criterions first 3D release ever (it also will have the 2D version).
Pretty excited for the Hitchcock & Tarkovsky.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

News from some producer meeting in Columbus:
Wexler Center rundown: Les Miserables and The Jungle Book will eventually make the jump from Eclipse set to CC mainline. "Life and Death of Col.Blimp" AND "Richard III" are going Blu in 2013. Unclear if Le Samourai going Blu. No forthcoming Andrei R. Blu. Schlesinger's "Darling" will NOT be coming. NO more Passolini. 2013 releases: Shoah, Badlands, Devil's Backbone (mid-'13). Also "some" Ray in 2013 but NOT Apu Trilogy. And "On the Waterfront" will have 3 aspect ratios on its 2013 release.

Also Criterion news from Wex.Center pannel discussion tonight: WarnerBrothers deal reached but not clear on what besides Malick's "Badlands" and one "Pre-code" title.
fuck yeah devil's backbone

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

B&N 50% off sale started today.

Criterion just announced their 4th Charlie Chaplin release via the newsletter, Monsier Verdoux.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Tommy Bunz wrote:B&N 50% off sale started today.

Criterion just announced their 4th Charlie Chaplin release via the newsletter, Monsier Verdoux.

is this the annual all month long sale?