Cremaster Cycle...!

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

darkwingduck

Cremaster Cycle...!

Post by darkwingduck »

I seen this show at the Guggenheim when it was here in the city. Its really too hard to explain. MATTHEW BARNEY (Bjorks Hubby) made a series of very surreal films. All together, I think its about 8 hours worth of just crazyness. Barney uses more than 100 sculptures he created and feaetured them in these films. One that stands out is a woman with see thru prosthetic legs and high heels!!!

Shit is real crazy. I recommend you peep it! features Murphy's Law and Agnostic Front in a punk band battle...!

I just stumbled on it at amazon. Gonna order it.

Last edited by darkwingduck on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I've seen that "most important artist of his generation" quote before. Stupid. How could the most important artist of his generation be acknowledged by almost no one and his work seen by even less?

I've seen 3 and 1 and 4 I think. It's visually amazing but dumb. These movies are exactly what people who don't watch art movies think art movies are.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I went to the full Cremaster Cycle showing in KY....

theyre really amazing to see on the big screen, but once youve seen it once, it'd be damn near impossible to watch again. It's so long and pointless. I mean, there's a point, but like cas said, it's dumb

that DVD is just a very small portion of #3. Only half an hour.
Not worth buying at all.

Wait until the entire collection gets released on DVD. You know it will be

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Andvil wrote:Wait until the entire collection gets released on DVD. You know it will be
Yeah, I think Im gonna wait. I just read up on it on amazon. Its just a teaser of the whole thing.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

http://www.palmpictures.com/videos/thec ... cycle.html

apparently Palm Pictures is releasing the box set.
Which is good, cause Palm does good work.

Probably wont be out for a while though

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Hey Andvil. Where in KY did you see these? Louisville?

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

yeah, at the University of Louisville

Sankofa

Re: Cremaster Cycle...!

Post by Sankofa »

darkwingduck wrote:One that stands out is a woman with see thru prosthetic legs and high heels!!!
Are they full of beer?

sneed

Post by sneed »

just saw a trailer for this, and I was blown away, fuck when is this coming out on dvd in the 5 part series?

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

cascarrabias wrote:I
I've seen 3 and 1 and 4 I think. It's visually amazing but dumb. These movies are exactly what people who don't watch art movies think art movies are.

procure uno

Post by procure uno »

i saw the entire cycle of U of L too. (go to school there)

visually the work is good, but as i overheard one kid puzzling outside inbetween reels, "why the fuck is any of this relevant?"

i saw the cremaster website awhile ago on which barney gives a synopsis of each movie, saying whats symbolic of what and all that. i couldnt see how any of it related for the life of me.

still, some cool imagery was the zombie horses and the rodeo execution.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Cremaster Cycle...!

Post by drizzle »

Sankofa wrote:
darkwingduck wrote:One that stands out is a woman with see thru prosthetic legs and high heels!!!
Are they full of beer?
you know this is a real chick right?

This shit is interesting and he does have some great ideas, but generally it's weird just for the sake of weird. That said, i'd probably cop the set when it came out, but I would never recommed it to somebody just to check out. This shit is strictly for people who have a specific intrest in cinema and/or surrealism.

On a side note, not surprisingly, this is a lot easier to follow on acid if you can stand looking at it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo