What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

I finally got around to watching American Gangster and it sucked dick.

None

Post by None »

Barton Fink
The Usual Suspects

Loved both.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Lust, Caution - Top 3 for last year and top 10 for the decade. Not kidding. Ang Lee's best movie. Tense. Gorgeous. Tragic. Subtle. If it didn't have such a stupid title it would have done better. 4 out of 4. A+. Superb. Highly recommend (when you're in the mood for a period piece in WW2 China).

hustler

Post by hustler »

cascarrabias wrote:Lust, Caution - Top 3 for last year and top 10 for the decade. Not kidding. Ang Lee's best movie. Tense. Gorgeous. Tragic. Subtle. If it didn't have such a stupid title it would have done better. 4 out of 4. A+. Superb. Highly recommend (when you're in the mood for a period piece in WW2 China).
wow, i cant even count the number of times ive thought to myself how much im in the mood for a period piece in world war china and not been able to do anything about it. (the reason i can't count it is because the number of times thats happened is 0.)

watched SAW V. ive seen em all, love the series, this one is the weakest out of them but being a fan i still enjoyed it. 3/5. if your not a particular fan of that series or genre then stay away, its gona be a 2/5 or lower for you.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

cascarrabias wrote:Lust, Caution - Top 3 for last year and top 10 for the decade. Not kidding. Ang Lee's best movie. Tense. Gorgeous. Tragic. Subtle. If it didn't have such a stupid title it would have done better. 4 out of 4. A+. Superb. Highly recommend (when you're in the mood for a period piece in WW2 China).
I liked it, you're probably right about it being Ang Lee's best, but it was looooooooong

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

I've never had a great deal of faith in the Australian film industry, despite hailing from the country all my life. There have been a few classics in Mad Max, Gallipoli and the like, but in most cases it's been a case of everyone drinks while the business sinks. However, in between the few gaps of the phalanx of fail that clog up our industry, there are a few gems ג€“ Rolf de Heer is one of them. De Heer, who moved to Australia from the Netherlands when he was eight, is responsible for some of Australia's more subversive pictures, most famously 1993's Bad Boy Bubby, which received international acclaim and was picked up by US cult film distributor Blue Underground. De Heer is ever willing to explore unchartered territory and, in 2003 on a pittance, he helmed Alexandra's Project, a powerful but flawed character study into the 'politics of marriage'.

Alexandra's Project is, on face value, a feminist tract, the wholehearted endorsement of cruel and unusual punishment to an imperfect man ג€“ hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. That's if you can buy into the whole 'years married, nothing said' business in what seemed to be far from an abusive household. Look into it deeper, and you can see Alexandra for the sick, reprehensible human being she is ג€“ there's no payoff here, no sympathy for the devil. Who's the villain? It's anyone's guess. You come out hating Steve and hating Alexandra, and de Heer does such a good job wobbling the moral compass that the whole thing seems unremittingly bleak and hopeless.

Alexandra's Project is a very good movie by a director who can be recognised as one of the very few saving graces of the Australian film industry. De Heer's nuanced direction is sensational, and the performances are top-notch throughout. De Heer said his film, which he joked was 'indescribable', was a story of 'the politics of marriage', but it's so much more than that ג€“ Alexandra's Project is a character study of a truly repulsive human being wreaking a revenge worse than death, and the ending will resound particularly loudly to certain viewers. That said, Alexandra's Project has its flaws, particularly in the pacing ג€“ it's not that de Heer's script is poor but there are times it's inadequate, and the terrific impetus many of the scenes have can be lost in a few unnecessary minutes.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

hustler wrote:wow, i cant even count the number of times ive thought to myself how much im in the mood for a period piece in world war china and not been able to do anything about it. (the reason i can't count it is because the number of times thats happened is 0.)
Word.
Andvil wrote:I liked it, you're probably right about it being Ang Lee's best, but it was looooooooong
It had so much going on I thought it was just right.

I know I'm alone on this.

Icesickle is to Dead Man as Cas is to Lust, Caution

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Dead Man didn't do much for me, not sure why.

Rambo (new one) 6/10

Not as bad as people say it is, John and his fight for justice/sanity is done very subtle and I liked that a lot. A worthy ending to the saga.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Indiana Jones and a bag of crystal dildoes and Cage Kennylz on a motorcycle - goddamn does this suck bad on a small screen. The faults were easier to overlook in the theater, at home this is just painfully bad.

Shaft's Big Score - kinda better than the original in some ways, it seems Parks had more money this time. Slick, well shot, more confidently directed than Shaft, and just a bit experimental and New Wavy in sets and editing. The nightclub fight and the insane 20 min car/boat/helicopter finale are really sweet

Crimes of Passion - A really nice piece of classy sexploitation about a hooker and an insane street preacher that stalks her, mixed with a really really bad lifetime movie of the week about a married couple not connecting sexually. Anthony Perkings is awesomely ott as the priest, Kathleen Turner surprisingly good as the hooker. Ken Russell sure does love drugs and dildos.

Hudsucker Proxy - raptor jesus > the hula hoop kid >>>>>>> regular jesus
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Cas. Can you explain why you think Lust, Caution is a top 10 film of the decade but at the same time you refuse to see a movie like Rachel Getting Married, ever? Is seeing emo films only kosher if the films are foreign?

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Icesickle wrote:Cas. Can you explain why you think Lust, Caution is a top 10 film of the decade but at the same time you refuse to see a movie like Rachel Getting Married, ever? Is seeing emo films only kosher if the girls are getting railed by BIG COCKS?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

in cas' defence, lust caution is nominally a spy movie as well as a romantic drama

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

it's nominally a spy movie but mostably just kinda boring

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

eXistenZ- so bad I vowed to never watch another Cronenberg. And thats not saying much, because I generally find him so douchey and predictable that I'm always one more movie away from casting off his entire catalog forever...that said...this was the film. Fuck him and fuck his movies. Finally!

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia- all the artsy fucks who want to illustrate their creative vision need to pursue other routes than film in order to do so because Peckinpah mastered the movies with this one. Its to the extent that all current and future filmmaking privileges should be revoked retroactive to 1974, and all other entries previous to the release date of said film need to be deleted from the book as well. This should be the only movie in existence ever, Al.

PEACE

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

drizzle wrote:Indiana Jones and a bag of crystal dildoes and Cage Kennylz on a motorcycle - goddamn does this suck bad on a small screen. The faults were easier to overlook in the theater, at home this is just painfully bad.
huh...? whuh...?

just watched iron man again...may have to watch it again.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Explaining anything to you Ice is pointless. You don't have exquisite taste like peanut butter.

But in your defense I have not seen Rachel Getting Married. So I can only say it looks lame.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Oh. And Lust, Caution is farrrrrrr from an emo movie.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

grizzly man - years later, still can't get over the straight-from-twin peaks coroner scene. and all the other stuff about dreams and escapist symbolism and all that. but mostly the coroner. and the grizzly fight when that one grizzly shits all over the place.

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

drizzle wrote:grizzly man - years later, still can't get over the straight-from-twin peaks coroner scene.
:rofl:
seriously. did they shoot it to be that weird on fuckin purpose? the look in dude's eyes is....soul-shaking
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

RacquetballGangsta

The Decline of The American Empire
pretty good movie. precursor to The Barbarian Invasions. i enjoyed the french canadian intellectual talk about sex and its rammifications in the modern world, however nerdy u may think that is, but it did go on a bit too long. one of the chicks was kinda hot so that helped. recommended if u like talky, witty movies about relationships. reminds one of smiles of summer night, rules of the game, and a few woody allen movies.
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

RacquetballGangsta

Tommy Bunz wrote: Arabesque - Sophia Loren might have been the hottest woman ever.
say word.

boondocks saints sucked to me tho. it was hilarious, because it was sooo bad.
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Nosferatu - the opening shot of the mummified bodies is so :ohsh: on the big screen. Isabella Adjani is underrated as far as 70s movie hotties go

Tropic Thunder - not great but mostly funny as hell. may improve with repeat viewing like zoolander did

Hell Ride - a promising concept ruined by the fact that larry bishop looks more like a panfluit player at the renessaince fair than a bad ass biker

citizen

Post by citizen »

dark city-been wanting to watch this for awhile. really enjoyed it. def recommend it if you enjoy sci fi stuffs. wanna see the directors cut

ANUBIS5

Post by ANUBIS5 »

I'm watching the new X-Files flick right now and it kind of sucks.

Yeah, it definitely sucks.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

The Herzog Nosferatu is underrated.

Psycho Beach Party - Such a great premise. Bad execution. They should have hired someone who knew how to make a movie. Amateur hour.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

(the enigma of) kaspar hauser - werner herzog (1974)
it's the perfect illustration of the loss of human innocence, natural reason and dreams with the tragedy of, supposed, civilized existence.

spasmo - umberto lenzi (1974)
quite possibly the weirdest 'giallo' movie I've ever seen. surprising lack of blood and sex. it does have a vaguely hypnotizing effect to it though.

fuzz - richard colla (1972)
found it mildly amusing, the brynner stuff is the only reason I didnt take this as a badfilm, actually, this film is almost worth watching just to see how the makers dealt with the problem of raquel welch refusing to appear in the same shot with burt reynolds for pretty much all of their scenes together.

RacquetballGangsta

finally saw The Lives of Others
still dont know what to think, on the whole, tho it definitely kept me engaged. maybe a bit unbelievable
great performance by the lead actor tho...r.i.p.

also saw Changeling. dont ask why
what a fuckin pointless movie
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

RacquetballGangsta wrote:finally saw The Lives of Others
still dont know what to think, on the whole, tho it definitely kept me engaged. maybe a bit unbelievable
great performance by the lead actor tho...r.i.p.
thats reality man. I liked it a lot. actually, this will be the first movie that I'll prezent in front of a crowd this tuesday. wish me luck :grin:

in search of a midnight kiss - alexholdridge / 2007
this was a really nice surprize, didn't expect anything that good from a low-budget. b&w, very good acting, a 50% american / 50% asian chick that destroyed my life, very very funny - I missed that kind of humor because these fucking romanians don't have it, good cinematography aswell, people should watch this. you'll not be disappointed.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Rented this last night...

Weird ass flick. Rented for Stephen Rea. Mena Suvari shows the titties and has cornrows.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

One Wonderful Sunday - Really good Kurosawa flick. No Seven Samurai but solid. A bit slow.