What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ChaMerZ

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by ChaMerZ »

ZiekeFons wrote:nightcrawler 2014:
Really dope flick, acting was good. Liked the un-human feel to it, in some way it reminds me of life now with everyone being buried in their phones internet lifes tv and bullshit.
Just watched it right now on my brother's recommendation. I'm baffled how you were able to connect this to technology (i.e. internet, media, etc). What I got from this was that it demonstrates perfectly the type of psychotic behavior that american society places on a pedestal. I am well acquainted with a few lou blooms, albeit none as extreme.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

only worthwhile moment was a zombeaver purposefully electrocuting himself to light the cabin up
hello ladies: the movie was much like hello ladies: the show, fun enough but fully forgettable
hits -- david cross joint had a promising first half before plummeting in to shit
it follows -- wasn't blown away upon the watch but here two weeks later and having not watched again still thinking about it and p sure i love it
moved by duck muscles

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Hard to be a God | 2013

Completely bonkers three-hour epic. Beautiful black and white cinematography, despite all the mud, shit and donkey cocks. Evoked a real sense of Terry Gilliam's earlier films in terms of the medieval style and on-screen clutter. I liked it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

oh shit another person who's seen this, welcome

counting this as 2015 bc that's when it was released here and it's a lock for my top 5 of the year
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Rabbi Jihadovich

Post by Rabbi Jihadovich »

Spartan wrote:Hard to be a God | 2013

Completely bonkers three-hour epic. Beautiful black and white cinematography, despite all the mud, shit and donkey cocks. Evoked a real sense of Terry Gilliam's earlier films in terms of the medieval style and on-screen clutter. I liked it, but it's definitely not for everyone.
This is currently streaming on Netflix. Gonna watch first chance i get.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

RUBBLE KINGS.

Basically the REAL LIFE story of THE WARRIORS! Funded by kickstarter a few years back, I finally got my digital download and watched it immediately. A documentary about early street gangs in NYC and how they managed to come to truce, thus giving birth to Hip-hop. Mainly B-Boying and Djing battles replacing gun and knife battles. Not as much actual footage I was hoping for, but tons of interviews with surviving members.

king beef

Post by king beef »

Whiplash, pretty decent film.

ric

Post by ric »

just saw district 9 for the first time. pretty good.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

7 days in hell was pert damn hilarious
moved by duck muscles

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

watched 'The Usual Suspects'. Kevin Spacey was nice in it, but I didn't like it too much ... bleh ...
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

just when i thought you couldn't get any dumber

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Been ages since I've seen it, I remember it being better (probably had a less judgmental eye back then, it might've been my first or second Melville ever). The shitty model work usually gets the brunt of the criticism here, but that's actually not that big of a problem imo. There's literally 20 secs of that total, tops. The real problem is that the characters are really flat and undercooked, in both writing and acting, even by minimalist French noir standards. Delon is phoning it in, Crenna tries but isn't given much to do and his character is never really properly established, Denueve has nothing to do at all. Worst of all, the relationship between the 3 is barely sketched in, and that's supposed to be the emotional hinge of the movie. It's really a shame because the underlying idea of a cop who chooses to be a cop over friendship and love (this part is really unclear) is a really novel twist for Melville, considering how much of his work is based around themes of friendship, loyalty and male bonding. With a better script this may have been one of his best. Still, it's not a total wash - the cinematography is phenomenally gorgeous and stylish, the opening heist is one of Melville's top set pieces, and at the end of the day it does add up to a passable genre exercise. It just doesn't measure up to the standard of the talent involved.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Tommy Bunz wrote:just when i thought you couldn't get any dumber
the writing was horrible. i predicted how the plot was going to go instantly. waste of time watching that movie.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

lol i feel like rewatching the movie just to note down all the shitty / corny one-liners.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

You shouldn't bother sharing your opinions on movies, or even watching them in the first place.

Dan

Post by Dan »

ChaMerZ just nominated himself for the 2015 CYE Dirt Dirt Award.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

He's been a clear frontrunner all year.
He might have done Dirt enough Dirt to win the title even if mindbender wasn't banned from this forum.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I like how he's in software and doesn't know how to use google.

Anyway, watched ted 2 last night. Not terrible pretty funny in parts. Kind of like a long family guy episode.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

alpha wrote:I like how he's in software and doesn't know how to use google.

Anyway, watched ted 2 last night. Not terrible pretty funny in parts. Kind of like a long family guy episode.
it comes with the territory bruh. the god William Gibson couldn't program to save his life. Google has nothing to do with this discussion though, you just came in for a cheap shot.

tommy bunz is just a fukk boi who automatically disagress with everything i say. i said i didn't like it. move on with your life. i don't need to write a dissertation on it.

alpha

Post by alpha »

No you generally have the shittiest opinions in this sub forum. You're gonna win dirt dirt by a landslide. If 99/100 think a movie is great and you agree with the one person who thinks it sucks, you probably have shitty taste in movies.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I guess you guys didn't read the last couple of pages from the Mad Max thread.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

ANYWAY....

back on topic

Enjoyed the shit out of this, maybe more than any other feature Wain has done since Wet Hot. But I do get why it got mixed reactions, the humor here is very specific and very committed to its quirks in a way that narrows its appeal, and even with that in mind there are jokes that straight up whiff. What I don't get is how anybody could've possibly taken this at face value as a rom-com and missed the fact that it was a parody, there are Naked Gun levels of slapstick happening in every other scene.

Sidenote, Christopher Meloni has the funniest side gag in this by far and between that and his stuff in Wet Hot I REALLY want Wain to do a movie with Meloni as a lead.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah i thought it was pretty good too. You'd have to be a chamerz-level retard to not get that its a full-on parody though.
Agree that it whiffs on jokes as much as it connects, but Rudd & Poehler are strong enough leads to hold it all together. Great supporting cast as well, its like every NY-based comedic actor has a small role somewhere.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:You'd have to be a chamerz-level retard to not get that its a full-on parody though.
Dude I thought it was like 1 or 2 dumb takes I saw on here and twitter or something, but even the Netflix description has this as a 'semi-spoof' and there are critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes talking about how this upholds conventions while spoofing them.... really baffling

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah that's ridiculous. You'd have to be completely unfamiliar with David Wain's work to even think that.

Agreed about Meloni, him explaining changing costumes into Mr. Taking A Shower Guy got the hardest laugh of the whole movie.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Spartan wrote:I guess you guys didn't read the last couple of pages from the Mad Max thread.
:arrow:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ChaMerZ wrote:
Spartan wrote:I guess you guys didn't read the last couple of pages from the Mad Max thread.
:arrow:
You'll figure it out eventually.

Anyway, since July has been too hectic a month to watch as many films as I would like, here's all the the shit I watched in June. Mostly rewatches:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

you didn't like Shadow Of a Doubt?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Not a fan.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Tommy Bunz wrote:hardest laugh of the whole movie.
moved by duck muscles