What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ChaMerZ

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by ChaMerZ »

hahaha 'He Came ... She Came ... They Both Came ...'
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

hated that bar scene, hate repetition jokes
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

that's crazy talk, that's perverse!
moved by duck muscles

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

So-so Brit corrupt copper crime flick. Stephen Graham is great as always. Nothing you've not seen before but entertaining enough.

6/10.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Slow West

Eeehhhh, not sure what to make of this film. Not a lot happens, and it's very short, but it looks cool. Kind of like a Cormac McCarthy story meets Coen Brothers meets Wes Anderson or something. I am digging this new trend of digital releases coming at the same time as theatre releases now that I can't go to the cinema anymore.

6/10
Last edited by Y@k Bollocks on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes: 10/10
BILLY WILDER slam dunks this Sherlock Holmes. This movie was super entertaining. The pace, the twists I never saw coming. The final boss is EPIC in scale. Without giving anything up, its on that Holmes vs BIGFOOT steez. I love all the locations I this and the acting is first class by all. Dah Gawd, Christopher LEE plays Moriarty.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I have marathoned all 9 seasons of The Office in the past 2 months or so.
I stopped watching part of the way through the first season when it aired because I didn't think it was as good as the UK version and it was before they figured out the balance of the Michael Scott character between asshole and lovable buffoon.
Decided to give it another chance because of how much I love Parks & Rec and Brooklyn 9-9, really glad I did. Great show.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Post by ChewbaccaUncircumcised »

Slow paced, heavy on the plot, sparse on the action. Nice cinematography, 6/10.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

^I really liked that one, took me a while to get into but I thought it really paid off at the end.

Haven't seen this in years, but it's obviously an amazing kung fu flick. One of the best for sure, and still hugely entertaining. 9 outta 10

A very unlikeable American girl (Saoirse Ronan) gets sent to England on the eve of a world war. What follows is too little time spent on a love story that is the backbone of the whole film. Because of that, you don't really give a shit about any of the characters or their dilemmas. Ronan does her best, but most of the rest of the cast really lets her down, and it's not particularly well written. 5 outta 10

Michel Gondry at his best. Amazing use of practical effects that really help carry the story along. It's a cousin of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", in that it's about a relationship, but it goes in a completely different direction. Duris and Tautou have a fantastic chemistry. Apparently this was one of those movies that was considered unfilmable based on the source material. I loved it, but apparently I was in the minority as it only has a 6.5 on IMDB. 8 outta 10.

One of the few John Huston movies I hadn't seen until recently. Keach is an alcoholic former professional boxer that's down on his luck, and Bridges is a young amateur that gets turned onto the idea of going pro after an encounter with Keach. This is a mostly dialogue driven movie that's really dark, but really well acted by all involved. Susan Tyrrell is absolutely brilliant here as a crazy alcoholic mess of a woman that gets with Keach. 7 outta 10

Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Hopper is absolutely terrible and has the charisma of a turd. Dorff and Mazar have never been prettier, but they are no help here. The only thing that saves the film is that the bad guy has to start his penis like a lawnmower. 2 outta 10.

A really stunning - and the final - film from Robert Bresson. A relatively minor crime perpetuated by some children starts a domino effect that leads to the complete destruction of one man. It's a film that takes the viewer a while to figure out who the "protagonist" is. The truth is though, that there really isn't a good guy, almost everyone in this film is guilty of something, and that makes it really fascinating. It's a spartan film for the most part with no music, and only the extreme lingering of shots at the end of almost every scene being as close to excess as we get. Almost all of the actors were non professional, and it definitely shows at times, but it's never bad enough to pull you out of the movie. Every Bresson film I've seen has been extremely fulfilling and left me with something to ponder after I've watched it. You really can't ask for more than that from a director. 8 outta 10.
Last edited by jamrage on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Not sure why I'd slept on this film. I'd not even heard of it til a friend recommended it to me. Pretty difficult viewing.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Always glad to hear about someone else watching Come And See. It's a goddamn masterpiece and deserves a much higher profile.
Possibly the most nightmarish vision of war ever put to film.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Always glad to hear about someone else watching Come And See. It's a goddamn masterpiece and deserves a much higher profile.
Possibly the most nightmarish vision of war ever put to film.
Yeah! I'm not film nut by any stretch, but I like to think I know about most of the 'must see' war films. This never seems to come up.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

If you want to see another amazing & underappreciated WWII masterpiece that's nihilistic as fuck I'd highly recommend Stalingrad (the 1993 one, not the newer movie with the same name).

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Yeah, that's a great slit your wrists double feature.

"Come and See" is a super bleak film, but its power is undeniable. It's something every film buff should see, but it's not something you want to watch a ton of times.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Went to a free preview screening of this yesterday.
It's an entirely predictable thriller, basically just Owen Wilson and fam running from the evil foreigners who are trying to kill them for 90 minutes, but its entertaining enough with a couple of fun moments. Pierce Brosnan is best part about this but he's terribly underused, playing a British secret agent who loves booze drugs and hookers and shows up at the most convenient times to save the day. Lake Bell surprised me here in a serious role but Owen Wilson still can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.
the plot is paperthin, the non-descript asian terrorists' motives are only briefly and poorly explained halfway through the movie by Brosnan, and is so terribly written I was half expecting the words EXPOSITION to start flashing up on the screen in big letters. Would serve as an excellent fear-mongering tool if we ever get in a war with an Asian country.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

j. edgar (2011) - dicaprio did a great job. i learned a lot about the creation of the fbi i did not know. too long. 6/10

the skeleton key (2005) - they could have done so much more with the louisiana plantation home swampy setting. more of a drama than a horror movie. the term "hoodoo" is not scary. 4/10

braveheart (1995) - apparently was voted the least historically accurate movie of all time. great battle scenes, lots of violence. sophia marceau as the french princess is hot. brendon gleeson, brian cox and james cosmo the dude from GOT are great. gibson does a great job acting crazed and amped up in battle. the childhood scene where the girl gives him a thistle at his father's grave drew a tear. 7/10

in a world... (2013) - sleeper romantic comedy worth all the praise it received. very funny and different. bell is very funny and a unique leading lady. rob courdry was actually really touching, as was demitri martin. some fun, unexpected cameos, too. 8/10

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

The Wolfpack [2015]

Really enjoyed this. Documentary about a bunch of brothers with a very messed up family situation who basically exist inside their flat in the Lower East Side watching films and reenacting scenes from them.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Unfriended | 2014
Shite supernatural film which deals with the consequences of what happens after a broad tops herself because she shat her keks.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Absolutely fucking loved this.
Really great doc about the father of base jumping, Carl Boenish.
Amazingly, he and his wife documented all of their jumps on film from the very start so there's just tons of amazing vintage footage of them jumping off everything high enough that they could find.
Awe inspiring shit and there's a real natural narrative that carries it to the end. Makes me want to jump out of an airplane again so bad.
Exceptional music choices as well.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Visit | 2015

Weak film by Shamalamadingdong. You can see the twist coming very early on. I did quite like the elderly couple though, at least they didn't rap.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Timbuktu (2014) - An understated film about the jihadi invasion of Timbuktu. It's very compassionate and warm despite the subject matter. Really it's a film about the people of Mali more than anything else. I don't love this movie as much as most critics but it's def worth seeing.

Tag (2015) - Sion Sono is bombarding festivals with films this year and this is probably the weirdest one of them. A schoolgirl is on the run from a wind that kills people before she becomes someone else. I didn't like the preachy ending but otherwise it was very fun and had some great poetic/strange moments.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Turbo Kid | 2015

Second hipster movie to surprise me in a good way this year and spiritual successor to Hobo With A Shotgun.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dude that looks awesome is it on netflix?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Don't think so.

Film was basically Mad Max meets BMX Bandits. This dude was fucking awesome in it:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

turns out it's on my company's secret movie/tv show rips upload server. thanks for the heads up dude

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

It follows - loved the premise, love the style, love the writer/director wearing his influences openly but the movie doesn't feel like an homage to or a 'take' on anything ... and yet... idk something about the end of it just didn't gel for me. The QT thing about the mythology is a def a good point, but also I just wasn't crazy about how they resolved the relationships that were wound up through the film (specifically the main girl and the nerd boy).

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Cooties | 2014

Can't even remember the last time I saw a killer kids movie as enjoyable as this. Takes a short dip in the middle, but other than that it's hilarious fun.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

That movie came up on the site where I download most of my movies and I completely disregarded it because of how gay the poster looked. Couldn't even tell it was a horror movie. (the image was a lot smaller than this one though)

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's been a weak year for horror flicks overall, but as splatter comedies go, Cooties is surprisingly well worth watching (along with Deathgasm while you're at it).

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

DETHGASM!!
moved by duck muscles