What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I like David Thomson's idea that Hardy should have dressed up in drag to play ma' Kray too since her character was the best thing about the 1990 version.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's impossible not to laugh by Hardy's performance in Legend:

alpha

Post by alpha »

Image Peter Weller as the voice of Batman. Solid animation. 100% faithful to the source material. If you enjoyed the graphic novel from back in the day you'll really enjoy this. 2 parts @ about 75 mins each.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Klovn Forever (2015) - The first Klovn movie earned this Danish comedian-duo some international acclaim after delivering a solid tv-show for many seasons. The second film sees Casper move to LA and Frank visiting him to help save their friendship. The film is not as funny as the first one which is maybe a modern comedy classic but its still worth seeing if you enjoyed the first one or have seen their tv-show.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The World's End (2013) - Weakest entry in the Cornetto Trilogy. Pegg reverts back to his annoying man-child routine. There's a cool sci-fi premise here, but it's mostly pushed to the background as Pegg and Wright focus on appeasing to thirtysomethings with early nineties nostalgia and regurgitated old gags from past endeavours.

Spectre (2015) - I think Mendes finally realised just how stuffy and overtly serious the franchise had become and thought, "fuck it, let's go bonkers in this motherfucker ". Final result is a mostly disjointed and uneven offering, but I preferred it over the overrated Skyfall.

House of Mortal Sin (1976) - Finally completed my personal Pete Walker checklist and it's easily one of his best movies. About as great as House of Whipcord and slightly below Frightmare. Loved it!

Eat (2014) - Wasted potential and utterly underwhelming.

Frank (2014) - Kind of avoided this since I thought this was Frank Sidebottom for hipsters based on the clips. End result was an intensely dark surreal comedy. Despite wearing a papier mâché head for most of the film, Fassbender killed it. Also impressed by both Domhnall Gleeson's and Maggie Gyllenhaal's performances too. Worth checking out.

The Death of “Superman Lives”: What Happened? (2015) - Watched this fascinating documentary about the aborted film and came away thinking Nic Cage was the least terrible thing about the project. Producer Jon Peters is the devil incarnate. Crazy how some of the elements, like the giant spider, eventually wound up in Wild Wild West.

The Last Witch Hunter (2015) If only the rest of the film kept with the spectacular Middle Ages setting. Instead, we got some Men in Black and Hell Boy mash-up for world building and an obvious attempt to tap into the popular Young Adult market. The film runs flat fairly early on and never fully recovers.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I just watched The Last Witch Hunter too, kept wondering why I wasn't enjoying it more than I was. The cast is great and it looks pretty cool for the most part but it just never really amounted to anything that I could give a shit about. It's a prime example of what I hate the most about a lot of modern action films though in that the action is filmed way too close and its edited in such a choppy way that its hard to make sense of what's going on and even when something legitimately cool happens on screen you don't even have a chance to properly take it in and enjoy it. That opening battle in main witch bitch's tree fort is a prime example of this. Whole shit rips off Blade really bad too.

Jon Peters in that Superman Lives doc is douchiest of douche bags. But its cool to see that the movie might not have been nearly as terrible as the infamous leaked photos made it seem.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Lockout - Speaking of Bmovies I expected to like more, this was just aight. Not bad but not really as amusing and cool as it thinks it is, tries a little too hard maybe. IDK if i'm getting old or what but the difference between cool assholes as played by guys like Willis and Kurt Russell and the modern versions they inspired is starting to look like the difference between a dude who really has game and some idiot PUA doing magic tricks at the bar. Pierce is clearly having a blast but the lines they give him are just shitty. The insane Scottish villain was dope though, and the action not too shabby. Wouldn't consider it a wasted rental but there are better Carpenter homages out there.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

The Keep - FUCKING FINALLY I SAW THIS (35mm in the theater, no pan&scan streams outchea). I can def see why you guys compared it to Dune, it whiffs and succeeds simultaneously in the same ways. Not hard to understand why Mann disowned it too, especially if you read how much of the intended version was not finished because the effects guy died half way through, and the studio refused to pay for reshoots, etc.... I'm guessing Mann envisioned his OG 210minute cut as a cross between Solaris, the Golem legend, and WW2 drama, glued together with some sfx and his usual stylistic flourishes. That's a mighty coke dream but tbh I don't think it would have worked. There's tons of stuff in here that's hugely cheesy that has nothing to do with reshoots or studio cuts, it's just Mann struggling outside of his creative comfort zone. The 97min cut I saw, even though clearly half-baked with horrible editing and continuity, does the trick well enough as stylish but shlocky fantasy horror that's both a work of an obviously talented director and a piece of so-bad-it's-good kitsch.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

Black Mass - snoozefest. What a fucking waste of screen talent. Wasn't surprised when I saw Scott Cooper directed it because Out of the Furnace was exactly the same. Two thumbs down.

American Ultra - a lot better than I was expecting. Max Landis is aight. 6/10

The Visit - low budget horror. The only type of movie Shamyalan should be allowed to do. Above average, despite the scuttling efforts of having some white kid rapping. C+

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Jeruzalem (2015) - Judgment Day summed up in a long ass advertisement for Google Glass. Poor execution of an interesting concept. Awful, awful film.

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013) - Jarmusch's slow and melancholic Anne Rice style vampiric wankfest. Hardly terrible, but I found it pretty boring and mediocre.

Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) - Would be lying if I said that I totally understood it, but it was a great viewing experience. Beautiful and surreal sci-fi horror. Definitely demands repeated viewings.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Ride Along 2: about the same as the first one quality wise. Only with a better setting in Miami. Cube playing tough guy cops is super played out. Worth a watch if you liked the first or are a Kevin Hart fan.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

that daft punk documentary was pretty cool

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

three stars is damn harsh on the tennenbaums. like her creek 237 far more than you did as well.
jan was like
moved by duck muscles

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Wes Anderson is Criterion's Steve Madden. The Royal Tenenbaums was a mostly mediocre affair to me at least; its only memorable highlight for me was Gene Hackman briefly recreating the chase scene from The French Connection in a go cart.

Her was impossible for me to take seriously.

Good to know I'm not the only one around here who wasn't impressed by Tangerine, though.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

mediocre is a good description for most wes anderson movies. highly overrated, imo.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence (2015) - Worst of the lot and I wasn't a fan of the previous films either. Career lows for Eric Roberts, Tiny Lister and ass to mouth veteran Bree Olson.

The Salvation (2014) - Bork revenge tale inspired by Leone's westerns; right down to cinematic wide shots and a Morricone sounding score. Mad Mads Mikelsen as the film's protagonist and Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the ruthless main villain. Eva Green was dope, despite not saying a fucking word. Hated the shitty CGI effects, but it didn't put me off enjoying this entertaining western. Got a huge buzz seeing Cantona in this:

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

finally watched the sting (1973). i know it made a ton of money and won many oscars but i thought it was stupid.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Still haven't seen The Witch.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dude 2 stars for Boxer From Shantung, really? I love that movie, one of my favorite Chang Cheh joints

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Not a big fan of that era of martial arts flicks, tbh.

Late seventies/early eighties was way more entertaining,

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

marmarmarwaslike
nothing too terribly engrossing, but mostly decent enough

currently watching 'trophy kids' and fuuuuuuuuck these people
moved by duck muscles

Comedy Quaddafi

3x new Euro-masterpieces:

Dheepan (2016) - Jacques Audiard returns with a film about a Tamil Tiger migrating to a Parisian suburb, working as a caretaker and getting in to trouble with the local gang and his makeshift family. This film has been praised for the acting and deliberate pace, but many critics hate the shocking and violent ending. I didn't have a problem with it and thought it made perfect sense in the context. This is Audiard's best film since Un Prophete and it might also be a better film in it's own way.

Victoria (2016) - A 2hour+ film shot in one take. This is one of the most intense films you will ever see, if you are willing to suspend disbelief a little bit. A Spanish girl in Berlin hangs out with some local boys and get in to huge trouble. I really cant emphasize enough how intense this film is because of the filming and realtime plot. At some points I was gasping for breath and really felt the panic of the characters for myself. Make every effort you can to see this film.

Suburra (2016) - This is a modern Italian mobclassic that sits nicely next to the Gomorra tv-series. The major drawback is how ambitious the plot is relative to the runningtime. Apparently Netflix has ordered a tv-show to be made using the setting and characters of the film. Normally I would avoid something like that but the series is being filmed in Italian by the same team who made the film, so everything points towards the series being worth anticipating. Meanwhile this is a really enjoyable movie.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Rabbi Jihadovich

Post by Rabbi Jihadovich »

^^ Victoria and Suburra are both streaming on netflix. Thanks pal!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Yeah Suburra is great, very nice application of a flashier/more stylized American approach to gangster movies to a very Italo-centric plot.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

watched SEVEN 5. Really dope Showtime documentary about michael dowd a crooked cop from the 75th precinct in east new york brooklyn.

def. check that out if you can.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

where did you watch that, I've been meaning to check it out

Comedy Quaddafi

Bone Tomahawk (2015) - I quite uenjoyed this film and I'm also excited that it was even made to begin with. It takes balls to give a green director a sizeable budget and a crazy story to work with. Really would have liked more exposition on the troglodytes rather than spending much of the duration setting up the men's mission. The last hour is still a lot of fun though - eventhough some of the kills at the end are rather anticlimatic.

Rabid Dogs (2016) - A cross-euro French remake of Bava's cult polizzoto thriller. Sadly it doesn't really add much to the original and the best part for new viewers will probably be the twist at the end which I already knew about. Still a goodlooking and accomplished film.

Road Games (2016) - I wouldn't say this was plain bad but it really didn't impress me. Two hitch-hikers get in to trouble in the French countryside and then the twist at the end is clumsily set up as they try to defend themselves. Not sure how this received almost unanimously moderately positive feedback from festivals. It's like an even dumber version of High Tension without all of the gorgeous setpieces.
- MB

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

drizzle wrote:where did you watch that, I've been meaning to check it out
amazon prime with a subscription to showtime.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

cold mountain (2003)

i love this movie. call it a western, a southern, whatever. beautiful cinematography, great story and strong acting. what struck me on this viewing was the awesome cast doing awesome stuff. peep this:

young cillian murphy
emily deschanel

the dude james rebhorn

jude law (butt)
nicole kidman (butt, nipples, merkin)
reverend philip semore hoffman (butt)
young jenna malone as young ferry girl who prostitutes herself to jude law and philip semore hoffman
young lucas black death scene
giovanni ribisi pimping his family out
pre-8 mile taryn manning getting pimped out by giovanni ribisi
jack white from the white stripes acting and playing music and shit
reverand donald sutherland
natalie portman taking a break from shooting shitty star wars one shot rifle killing cillain murphy
fat guy ethan suplee
um ray winstone villain
um young charlie hunnam ALBINO villain
um brendan gleeson actual fiddle master playing the shit out of fiddles and bad father redemption stuff
renee zellwegger great performance wins oscar