What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: The Girl Next Door is similar and also based on a Ketchum-novel, watch that instead, it's much better.
Really hated this movie.. I read a review online saying they'd much rather watch Serbian Film repeatedly then ever watch this movie again. It was definitely well done, but I don't like how I felt after watching it at all..same thing that's held me back from watching Serbian Film in its entirety. Martyrs seriously fucked with me for like 3 days. It was interesting to read the wiki on the real story behind the movie though, but I looked away a few times at the end. I was pretty angry at the director, lol.
Last edited by Sucka Ducka on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That movie caught my attention when I saw that heckler going all emotional video during a screening of The Woman. Want to check it out largely because of the hype, not expecting much however.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ It is quite hyped and have gotten some rave reviews. Maybe I'm just a dick but I don't think it's worth all that attention. The US horrorsites show solidarity with their indiescene so I guess that has something to do with it.

HJT: Girl Next Door is awfully depressing, especially when you read about the case and learn that what actually happened is way worse than what they show in the movie (it's surprisingly tame visually). I can understand how it's too much for some people but at least the director treated the subject with respect and stuck to his guns and that's admirable IMO. Powerful movie that will ruin your day, week, year.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Agreed. I can handle it to a degree, I just don't like the psychological effects for the next few days after movies like that - the idea of desensitizing myself further to shit like that kinda scares me a bit. I think the thing that fucks with me the most is anything involving children (strange cause I really don't even like kids and have no plans of having them).

Comedy Quaddafi

If it fucks with your head like that you are not desensitizing yourself. You're experiencing very strong emotions. I look at it in a completely opposite way, it shakes the indifference and jaded feelings right out of you, sensitizing and humanizing you, perhaps even.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

why would you want to desensitise yourself in the first place?

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I'm not saying I want to desensitize myself, quite the contrary. I'm not saying these kind of movies have desensitized me... I'm just sayin' I remember when I was shocked by a lot of shit on the internet - now a lot of stuff doesn't phase me. I'm saying after watching tons of ultra-violence, surely at some point shit like that wouldn't bother me either... and I'd prefer that to not be the case. I prefer to avoid the overly depressing shit these days, I guess.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

amer - at home on my huge ass new tv, with the lights off >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

really can't get over how good this shit is. more effective as a horror movie the second time around, the first time i was just drooling over the vizualz
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Attack The Block - (6/10) - It was entertaining movie. I don't know if I would ever watch it again, but it was a fun movie.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Dagon 7/10 pretty fucking sweet, definitely not your usual horror movie, and since I am a Lovecraft fan, I enjoyed it. I would have probably banged the half squid evil mermaid princess chick though.

Gonna watch Amer or Inside next.

Comedy Quaddafi

Dark Souls (2011) - Norwegian horror that sort of manages to get some momentum going after the disappointing Cold Prey III. This is a weird hybrid of genres but it works best when it's in slashermode. A killer with a drill is attacking people who later turn into vegetables vomiting black goo. A father tries tries to crack the case and we follow him for the most part. There's one too many loose ends and the story is a bit strange and not entirely satisfying, there are some great suspenseful scenes however so the movie is worthwhile enough.
- MB

Dan

Post by Dan »

Here's what I watched this week (The Owned Edition):

Last week I made a thread about DVD/Blu-ray collectors. In it, I mentioned that out of the 80+ Blu-rays that I own, I have only watched 2 of them. So, with that, I decided that this week I will put the Netflix and DVR to the side and only watch DVDs and Blu-rays that I own and have never seen before.

13 Assassins (2010) - Iג€™ve watched a lot of samurai movies from the 1940s and 50s, so to see one made in this millennium intrigued me. As violent as those old ones were, it was weird at first to see an even more violent version.
By now, everyone pretty much has heard about the near full hour final battle scene. Just incredible to see, without a boring moment.

A Clockwork Orange (1971) - Finally got around to seeing this Kubrick classic.
Definitely one I need to see again to fully grasp. I liked it, so watching it again wonג€™t be a chore.

Three the Hard Way (1974) - I was always a big fan of blaxploitation films, but my only exposure to them was picking out random VHS titles from various video stores. I have this one on DVD because it came in 2-disc set with 3 other blaxploitation films, including my all-time favorite, Black Belt Jones.
With this one, you pretty much have the top 3 blaxploitation stars of the time, Jim Brown, Fred Williamson, and Black Belt Jones himself, Jim Kelly.
The plot is great and absurd. A very wealthy white man hires a scientist to develop a serum to wipe out the black population. The plan is to dump it into the water supply, but like sickle cell anemia, the serum will have no effects on white people.
The acting is terrible, but thatג€™s what also makes these movies so much fun.

Brick (2005) - Modern day noir involving high school students. The story was good, but I think it wouldג€™ve been better if the characters werenג€™t in high school. They just werenג€™t very believable. Seeing a student known as ג€˜The Pinג€™ always wearing the long black robe and walking with a cane and dealing drugs out of his basement seemed silly.

Thumbsucker (2004) - Found this DVD really cheap and only bought it because of the cast. Didnג€™t know anything else about it.
Basically a high school senior still sucks his thumb, though itג€™s done in private, his dad catches him and tries to break the habit.
Meanwhile, we learn his parents seem mentally ill, and heג€™s just the typical quirky kid trying to fit in where he can.
I did laugh at the end where in the end credits it thanked the website, www.thumbsuckingadults.com . Had no idea this was an affliction or something people actually enjoyed doing. I decided to check out the site and it turns out the site is so old, it hadnג€™t even been updated to recognize this filmג€™s release.

Talk Radio (1988) - As a longtime fan of talk radio, somehow I just never got around to ever watching this. I guess the premise of watching talk radio bored me, which would explain why I never watched Howard Stern when his show was on E!
Watching this reminded me so much of a guy I used to listen to here in Tampa named Bob Lassiter. Bob had a similar type show where heג€™d just take random calls on any subject, some were serious, while others were just people acting like crazy characters. Bob would rip on all of them and it was always a treat to listen to. Bob didnג€™t have the same demise as the character in this film, but he did end up passing 5 years ago. Thereג€™s a website with many of his airchecks, so you can hear what Iג€™m talking about with the comparisons, http://boblassiter.blogspot.com

In Cold Blood (1967) - Based on a true story. Two ex-convicts are tipped off about a wealthy farmer. Turns out he is wealthy, but only in his bank account, as the only cash in his house is $43.00. Sadly, a family of 4 were murdered anyway.
Having seen the 2005 film Capote, I knew the story of how everything went down.
This was still a very good film. The music was excellent, scored by Quincy Jones.
Last edited by Dan on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Dan wrote: Three the Hard Way (1974) - I was always a big fan of blaxploitation films, but my only exposure to them was picking out random VHS titles from various video stores. I have this one on DVD because it came in 2-disc set with 3 other blaxploitation films, including my all-time favorite, Black Belt Jones.
you nailed the version, that's the only proper wide screen print in circulation. love that movie so so damn much

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Dead (2010)
Oh man! This is how zombie movies were meant to be - serious, bleak and slow. The Ford brothers did an excellent job of recapturing the vibe of George Romero's original Dead trilogy and there were some obvious influences from Fulci's tropical horror, Zombie Flesh Eaters. While the making of this film was a real horror story in itself, the end result paid off as setting the film on the African continent made this film shine. The savannah plains and the remote villages/outposts had a post-apocalyptic edge to them from start to finish. The film looked absolutely stunning and suitably desolate. Essentially a road movie with zombies, there was a lot of effort invested in both characters to make you care about them. Their hunger and exhaustion was well realised, every stop was a potential zombie gankfest and was a much higher priority than the over the top gore you come to expect (there's still some pretty gory and violent scenes for the gore-hounds). The final few minutes didn't sit too comfortably with me as it felt a little corny for my liking, but then again, considering everything that precedes it, it's pretty difficult to end it on any high note. Overall, this was a really excellent zombie film and one that paid homage to the old school classics while maintaining it's own uniqueness. Top film.

Comedy Quaddafi

I wasn't sure what to think of the ending either but it works.

The Piano Teacher (2001) - Haneke's films tend to obsess over guilt and violence and this is no different. While it's not as clever as Cach
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

Betty Blue (1986) - Beatrice Dalle of Inside fame has the starring role in this movie abouta young, hysterical and impulse woman. She hooks up with a guy called Zorg and they do what French people do, fuck, drink wine and eat roasts from the oven. Her numerous freakouts are great to watch and her continual state of nakedness is pleasant to watch. The opening sexscene is hands down the best moviesex I've seen. The director's cut is a bit too long and although I enjoyed the movie I didn't take anything that meaningful from it. A lot of other people really love the movie though. Then there's Ebert who hates it because there's too much nudity. It's a cool movie for a slow Sunday for sure, a bit Henry Miller-like if you will.
- MB

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Captain America 8/10 - I actually liked this. Comic book movies have been shit lately, but I enjoyed this one a lot. Kind of got me pumped to see the avengers movie. I guess I should watch Thor even though I heard it was pretty shitty.

Horrible Bosses 6/10 - It was ok. The first and third of the movie was good. The middle part was ehhh.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Hickey & Boggs - another semi-essential semi-lost 70's neo-noir, with Walter Hill scripting. The movie is actually more his than anyone else's despite Robert Culp getting the credit, any self respecting Hill fan should be able to recognize that within 5 mins. It's not perfect, the middle act drags on too long and could easily loose about 20 mins and 2 plot developments. The most interesting thing about this is how Hill merges 'death of traditional noir' elements (predating both Chinatown and The Long Goodbye) with laying groundwork for his 80s action movie stretch. So the result is a nihalistic 70s thriller with set pieces that feel a good 8-10 years ahead of the curve. Plus, Bill Cosby shooting people with a huge magnum.

After Hours - how come nobody ever mentions that this is maybe the least Scorsese-ish of all his movies. It feels like a riff on Coen Brothers and maybe Lynch, but Marty doesn't have quite the same knack for creating memorable oddballs.

Dog Soldiers - total riot, i'm kicking myself for knowing about this pretty much since it came out but never giving it a chance until now. A shining example of how to make awesome shit on a non-existing budget. This and Outpost together would make for the illest double feature.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Stake Land (2010)
Second road movie horror flick of the week and just as good, if not a little better than The Dead. Really enjoyed this movie about a bunch of folk in a post-apocalyptic America overrun by vampires heading to New Eden (Canada). The film is brutally nihilistic from the start and just when you think things are getting a little too comfortable for our characters, events take a turn for the worst. Despite the vampires, this had evoked much of the vibe I got from reading The Walking Dead with far more authenticity than the TV series. The characters were really strong, particularly Mister who was a real bad-ass. The film also had Danielle Harris who actually delivered a really good performance and didn't just coast on her scream queen status like in some of her other recent films. There was an element of Stephen King's The Stand in here too, with the religious nuts and that whole Americana aspect to it. It does get a little cheesy and predictable in certain scenes especially near the film's finale but it didn't ruin it for me. As vampire or post-apocalypse themed movies go (there have been a couple of post apocalyptic vampire movies lately seems like it's in vogue), this was pretty fucking sweet.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

I watched The Shining a few days ago. Kubrick is hit or miss with me. Some of his stuff is boring as fuck.

The Shining was the shit. Great movie. I don't know why i've never seen it until now.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Final Exam (1981)
Considering this film was made in perhaps the greatest year in horror and of course the apex of the slasher trend, the majority of Final Exam's running time is laboriously dull and boring. It's set in a North Carolina college campus with some utterly uninteresting and annoying collective of college students (the effeminate and most likely gay nerd is perhaps the only memorable character that might be considered an exception) but it's the non-mask wearing killer being the biggest disappointment in the film as he looks so fucking ordinary and has no direct or indirect association to the film's characters nor the college. The film opens with a done to death clich

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

watched this two nights ago...

Vincent Price plays a Shakespeare actor who goes on a murder spree of a group of critics who panned his plays, mimicking murders in Shakespeare's plays. Read on IMDB after that this was VP's personal favorite film of his career. It was awesome.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Agreed. Price kills it in Theater of Blood. Really love that film.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Bitch Slap (Rick Jacobson, 2009) - On paper this looks like a homerun but ultimately was definitely lower-tier on the exploitation revival scale. 3 gorgeous leads and not one of them gets naked, some really awful cgi and not enough humor or violence to make up for it.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Niels Arden Oplev, 2009) - Wanted to get this out of the way before Fincher's remake came out, I enjoyed this a lot although I'm surprised it got as much attention as it did. Got both the sequels on blu for $4 each from Blockbuster, will probably get around to them soon.

Sleeping Beauty (Clyde Geronimi, 1959) - Mentioned this elsewhere but this is a demo-quality bluray. The art style and colors really shine in the format, its outstanding really and its one of the better disney classics, especially as far as their princess stories go.

The Others (Alejandro Amenabar, 2001) - Seems like this has fallen between the cracks a bit, I know the majority of people who have seen it are fans but this is probably the best American ghost story in a long time and matches up well with the classics of the genre like The Innoncents. Suprised how well it held up to a repeat viewing despite knowing the ending. Very well directed, filmed beautifully in natural light and Kidman is really really excellent and carries the movie.

Jason X (James Isaac, 2001) - Had to rewind the beginning of the movie because the first ten minutes I spent scratching my head wondering what the fuck David Cronenberg was doing in a shitty Jason sequel. I don't really mean shitty in a bad way, i mean, it has zero plot or character development or anything that would qualify something as a good movie, but its entertaining and bringing back the sleeping bag kill was pretty sweet. Basically someone said "it would be pretty cool to put Jason in outer space" and was completely satisfied that the idea itself was good enough to carry the movie.

Reno 911!: Miami (Robert Ben Garant, 2007) - Underrated. Seen it before but much funnier than its given credit for.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1997) - Hadn't watched since seeing it in theaters. Basically a lot of really great scenes sandwiched in between a bunch of face-palm moments. Goldblum's black daughter taking out a velociraptor with her gymnastic moves has to be one of the most cringe-inducing things ever filmed. Never realized before how much this is a blatant remake of King Kong/the real Lost World novel.

Leon Morin, Priest (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1961) - Really interesting character study of a young good-looking priest in war time who is basically tormenting the young women of the town while attempting to give them guidance. Its never really clear what his intentions are but the movie is brimming with just below the surface sexuality. Funny how anti-Melville this is, everything is so subtle, anyone who thinks Melville was mostly style and flash should watch this.

Mimic (Guillermo Del Toro, 1997) - Del Toro's first english language film, which is an above average horror about genetically mutated bugs evolving at an extreme rate and learning how to mimic human beings. Not one of Del Toro's strongest efforts, the studio meddled more than he wanted them to but the director's cut was better than the original, very stylistic visually and Rob Bottin's work on the bugs is pretty awesome.

The A-Team (Joe Carnahan, 2010) - Better than it has any right to be, a lot of fun and I'm actually looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture (Bo Arne Vibenius, 1974) - I enjoyed this, though admittedly not near as much as I thought I was going to. Christina Lindberg is really gorgeous and watching her transition from mute rape-victim/prostitute to a trained killer bent on revenge was cool but the movie is surprisingly slow and spacey and I was ready for it to end before it actually did. And yeah I bought the version with the real sex scenes.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (David Yates, 2010) - I don't really give a shit about this series or read the books or whatever but I have to admit these movies keep getting better, at this point they've completely ditched the lighter childish tone of the early movies and are actually really dark. Hermione makes me feel hella Jaz-y.

Hitch-Hike (Pasquale Festa Campanile, 1977) - Decided to bump this one to the top of the queue when David Hess died. Unfortunately the dvd annoyingly didn't have the original language track just the english dub. Still this is a pretty great gem of an exploitation film about a couple who unknowingly picks up a sadistic mental paitent and bank robber on the run and soon become victim to his madness. Watching Nero slowly turn from an asshole husband to the very man he was trying to protect his wife from was chilling and Hess is the perfect madman.

A Boy and His Dog (L.Q. Jones, 1975) - This was an awesome and rather hysterical tale of a young man and his dog (who he can talk to telepathically) in post world war 4 america who spent most of their time scavenging for food in the desert and trying to find girls so Don Johnson can get some stank on his hang-low. The final act, when they get tricked into entering an underground compound by a lunatic cult is completely silly but the ending completely redeems everything, even though I could see it coming immediately. Funniest ending ever.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Here's what I watched this week:

American Juggalo (2011) - This has been brought up several times over the last few weeks on The Ron & Fez Show. I never planned on watching it because I was never a fan of the Insane Clown Posse.
Decided to give it a chance when Ron had the director, Sean Dunne stop by for an interview. Turns out, Sean isnג€™t a fan of ICP either, he just wanted to make a documentary on their fans at the latest ג€œGathering of the Juggalos,ג€ filmed this past August.
Juggalos are a strange group of fans, but one thing I do admire is how theyג€™re all about family when together. Not saying Iג€™d want to be friends/family with any of them, but I do respect their fandom. I wish I could say all their female fans are ugly, but toward the very end in a montage, 2 gorgeous juggalettes are on screen for a few seconds. Probably the only 2.
One thing I learned from this was that Juggalos like to yell ג€œWhoop Whoop!ג€ This bothered me because Iג€™ll never be able to enjoy Kam again.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/14SCFplN5vQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/14SCFplN5vQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

You can watch the documentary for free at www.americanjuggalo.com
Itג€™s only 24 minutes and actually worth watching, fan or not.

The Long Goodbye (1973) - Watched this because it was directed by Robert Altman, not really knowing itג€™s about a detective character named Philip Marlowe, who had several film depictions in the 1940s, most famously played by Humphrey Bogart in a film called The Big Sleep, which I hadnג€™t seen before.
In this, Marlowe is played by Elliott Gould. Not knowing the back story, I still found this to be very good. It was done in a really cool style, too. It takes place in the modern day 70s, but everything about Marlowe is 1940s, from the way he talks, dresses, acts, and even his car.

The Big Sleep (1946) - Well, look what I found on my DVR. Had I known, I wouldג€™ve flip-flopped and watched this first. Then again, after watching this, maybe I wouldnג€™t have.
Bogart plays a detective attempting to solve one crime, but then it seems each crime leads to a domino effect which means more and more to uncover. Got confusing at times. It was alright, but I much preferred Gouldג€™s.

House on Haunted Hill (1959) - My mom came over a couple of weeks ago and asks me if I have any classics. I tell her I have Casablanca. She says ג€œno, do you have House on Haunted Hill?ג€ I never knew my mom to be fan of scary movies, but I had to tell her that I didnג€™t have it, nor had I ever seen it.
She tells me that she had been talking to her friend on Facebook about Million Dollar Movie. Growing up in NY there was a channel she watched when she was a kid which featured different movies. This one apparently stuck in her head and she wanted to revisit it.
A few days after her visit I see a tweet from @TCM that says ג€œThere is no way out!ג€ Spend the night in HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (ג€™59), 9:30pm ET & HOUSE OF WAX (ג€™53), 12:30am!
I wanted to surprise my mom, so rather than telling her myself, I call her with a bullshit story and tell her my guide on my DVR is broken and need to know whatג€™s on TCM at 9:30 tonight. When she saw what was on she sounded surprised and thanked me for remembering. She then set her DVR for it and I told her I set mine as well. Then she says, ג€œI thought yours was broken?ג€
Vincent Price plays a wealthy man who rents out a known haunted house. He has chosen 5 random people to spend the night in the house with him. If they stay the entire night, heג€™ll pay each person $10,000.
There was one legitimate scare in the movie, but after watching it and thinking back on the whole thing, many things just didnג€™t make any sense. Still it was fun to watch.
Havenג€™t talked to my mom since it aired so donג€™t know if it still lived up to her feelings on it.

Brazil (1985) - This was quite surreal. I donג€™t even know how to explain it. Iג€™m just happy that I finally was able to see it.

Oh, God! (1977) - George Burns was a legendary entertainer, but I had never seen this film until this past week.
I expected it to be funnier. Probably not going to bother with the sequels.

Ship of Fools (1965) - Set in 1933, a cruise ship sailing from Veracruz to Germany shows several different characters lives and how they acted at that time. Only the viewer knows what lies ahead for them as weג€™re all well aware of the coming world war, as well as Hitlerג€™s reign.
It was long. The best parts involved Lee Marvin, who played a baseball player forced out of the game because he couldnג€™t hit.

Comedy Quaddafi

Wilderness (2006) - British suspense-horror about juvy delinquents who are sent to an island to "build character." Of course someone wants to kill them. The story is a bit hammy, and it would have worked perfectly fine without the villains motivation. There are some good scenes which look good and have appropriate suspense. It's not a great film however. I don't mind a lack of originality but it should honestly be delivered a tad more convincingly than this.
- MB

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dan I'm surprised you didn't like the Big Sleep. Michael Winner remade it in the 70's and Robert Mitchum plays Marlowe, pretty good.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Dan I'm surprised you didn't like the Big Sleep. Michael Winner remade it in the 70's and Robert Mitchum plays Marlowe, pretty good.
I didn't hate it. I think just watching a modern day telling of it first kinda swayed my opinion. Probably would've appreciated it much more had I seen it first.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Dan wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Dan I'm surprised you didn't like the Big Sleep. Michael Winner remade it in the 70's and Robert Mitchum plays Marlowe, pretty good.
I didn't hate it. I think just watching a modern day telling of it first kinda swayed my opinion. Probably would've appreciated it much more had I seen it first.
you're 100% right about it being confusing though, even the screenwriter admitted later on that the last hour almost makes no sense. the movie is all about acting and dialogue

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

zero effect - Brilliant but socially retarded weirdo shut in detective (Bill Pullman) and his unflappable on the job but exasperated underneath middle man (Stiller) investigate a blackmail case. Fairly well received when it was released in the late 90s but pretty much forgotten since then. It deserves more recognition, it's not perfect but it's one of the most original takes on the detective genre I can think of. Being familiar with Sherlock Holmes stories helps a lot, especially Scandal in Bohemia as the movie is very much inspired by the Holmes/Watson and Holmes/Irene Adler relationships

Lon Chaney+Todd Browning >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A man and a woman rip off a bundle of jewels, double crossing an evil as usual Lon Chaney who's trying to double cross them, then hide out till the heat blows over and eventually fall in love and decide to go straight (naturally having to duke it out with Chaney in the end). Aside from being an ill slice of early pulp, it's very interesting as an example of a crime thriller made before noir took over and became the norm for about 40 years. Very little stylization, but plot and story construction feel incredibly modern; aside from the obligatory moralistic ending it doesn't really feel that dated.