What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

jul

Post by jul »

prozac nation...id been waiting to see this movie for 3 years. it was disapointing. me and my friend discussed the size of chrisitnas nipples through the whole thing. did anyone else find them larger than normal?

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Good, fun movie. I liked it. I havent read the book, listened to the radioplay or watched the TV series so I can't comment on whether it holds up to the original subject matter but Mos Def and Sam Rockwell were cool. Very bizarre in parts but a good laugh.

7/10

Sin City

Awesome. First time I've watched this since the cinema and I had a blast, I know Rodriguez has his critics but this movie is pure genius. He and Frank Miller got the movie to a T and most shots were lifted straight from the comic books. Mickey Rourke was gully as fuck and Jessica Alba :ohsh:

9/10

Kill Bill Vol.2

Everyone who knows me knows I love these movies. Apart from a few wobbles here and there this is a top notch movie. Great story (revenge is always sweet), great cast and great soundtrack. Not a patch on Vol.1 but a satisfactory end to the story.

8/10

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

the constant gardener - 3/5. nice to look at..but i just didnt get it at all.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

RacquetballGangsta wrote:the constant gardener - 3/5. nice to look at..but i just didnt get it at all.
I loved City Of God but I'm not really interested in this movie. Would it be worth a watch? Performances good?

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Trancers
Jack Deth is a kind of cop/bounty hunter in the bleak Los Angeles of the future. He's become obssessed with chasing Whistler - an evil criminal who uses powerful hypnotic powers to convert people into zombie like creatures known as trancers. Whistler has managed to escape through time travel and is loose in 1980s L.A. but Deth is on his trail.
This movie was so horribly and cheaply made that I liked it. So funny in parts especially when Jack Deth scraps with Santa Claus. My mate lent me this saying it's one of his favourite movies...I will no longer take anything he says seriously. It was good for what it was plus Helen Hunt looked hot back in 1985. Apparantly it has a cult following and spawned 5 sequels!

6/10

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Old Boy-I dug it and can see how Nicholas Cage would work in the remake. It'll be interesting to see what changes the writers make.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Ocean's Twelve

So So.

5/10

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

I liked the Constant Gardener. it's not trying to be anything like the City of God but it's a nice "realistic thriller"

yesterday I saw...

Seijun Suzuki - Underworld Beauty

Nice classic gangster/Yakuza flick. Really well shot with an interesting plot. recommended to those with an interest in the oldschool.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Gus Van Sant - Drugstore Cowboy

Awesome drug movie. definitely liked this one better than Trainspotting. It's not reaching Requiem but at the same time its a lot more watchable than any of those and doesn't bombard you with fucking bad trips or shit like that.

Panama

Post by Panama »

Sankofa wrote:Old Boy-I dug it and can see how Nicholas Cage would work in the remake. It'll be interesting to see what changes the writers make.
what re-make???

no good

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

ehh... a remake would be a terrible idea..

I just got the Criterion Rushmore today and watched it...forgot how good this shit is, I hadn't seen it in such a long time.
Last edited by Vlad Analogue on Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

........what Criterion?

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Journey Into Fear - Norman Foster/Orson Welles

Credited to Norman Foster but overseen and half directed by Orson Welles after the Magnificent Ambersons as a b-project to finish his original RKO contract, it's a really cool WW2 political intrigue set in Turkey. At only 75 minutes its short, to the point and entertaining. Really Overlooked and a treat for Welles fans

Saturday Night, Sunday Morning - Karel Reisz

Really dope British "Angry man" film in which the protagonist works all day, drinks 10 pints a night, gets married women pregant and generally acts a fool and rebels against society. I never heard of any of these British films before and was really surprised at how ahead of their time this was. Rebel movies before there was such a thing.

Big Lurk

Post by Big Lurk »

I didn't watch a movie today.
soon jesus will come and we will all clap
and to the devil we say brap brap brap

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

Andvil wrote:........what Criterion?
You didn't know there was a Rushmore criterion?

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

DUDE HE EDITED HIS POST

I own the Criterion Rushmore....

I thought he was talking about a Criterion Oldboy, I was like :naswtf:

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

oh, and I watched Annie Hall last night for the first time

incredible movie
I really thought I wasnt going to laugh much....I just assumed that the jokes would be kinda outdated
but it ended up being really fucking funny
And a great story too I thought
I loved his joke/relationship anaologies

I admit, I havent seen many Woody Allen movies, but of the movies I have seen, this is EASILY my favorite

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

two days ago: house of flying daggers

yesterday: the machinist (for the second time)
Nets 2022

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

sorry andvil. Yesterday was Oldboy agian, and Eddie's RAW, today will be Criterion Youth of the Beast, and maybe Insomnia

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Land Of The Dead

7/10

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Vlad Analogue wrote:sorry andvil.
all good my man

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Last night...

The Jacket

Not bad. Just not very good. A bit of a soft ending to be honest and could have been darker. Brody was golden as usual and Keira Knightley put on a good American accent...better than I thought she would.

6/10

King Of New York

Can you believe I had never seen this movie until last night flicking through late night TV. Its weird I saw this in the HMV sale and thought about buying it earlier in the day. I thought it was class. Walken, Fishburne, Caruso and Snipes all were brilliant. One thing that pissed me off was that I fell asleep at the end and missed what happened. If someone wants to PM me what happened that would be ace.

8/10

Hopefully today I'll be seeing "A History Of Violence", "Brotherhood" and "Ong Bak".

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

I saw History of Violence friday and kinda wished it was weirder to I rented...

David Cronenberg - Dead Ringers

Now THAT was weird. Jeremy Irons' performance(s) were dope as fuck and the whole thing was creepy without being over the top. definitely appreciated. I'm probably gonna go on a Cronenberg binge and check out all his stuff soon.

varick pyr

Post by varick pyr »

rented Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. I knew it wouldnt live up to the book, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

Evil Dead Trilogy marathon today. I'm 10 minutes into Evil Dead II. then a Romero/Living Dead marathon later.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

Just got back from Corpse Bride.
You get no review.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

arlene wrote:Just got back from Corpse Bride.
You get no review.
Damn you're mean!

Anyway last night I watched Ong Bak. Fucking awesome fight scenes. I need it on DVD. 8/10

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Watched Sin City again. Still a 9/10.

Fuck the Rodriquez haters.

jul

Post by jul »

crash. best movie ive seen all year. cant belive there hasnt been more talk about it.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Shinya Tsukamoto - Snake of June

Fucked up. I can't totally explain the film but it's a mix of 60's Japanese New Wave and Takashi Miike style craziness all in one 77 minute package. Lots of psychological female torture and psycho-sexual commentary but low on point and explanation. All in all an interesting viewing that's got me interested in Tsukamoto and that I'd like to see again.

also, it should be noted that the film is beautifully shot.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Team America: World Police

9.5/10

I'm a huge Parker and Stone fan, so to me this movie is brilliant. Funny as hell, great dialogue, unique visual style. Their ability to parody is unprecedented. Also, as usual, the soundtrack is unbelievable.