What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

jul

Post by jul »

born into brothels. for me, few movies are that visually captivating. 10/10

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

jul wrote:born into brothels. for me, few movies are that visually captivating. 10/10
yes. everyone should see this movie. see my berzerko thread i made here upon its initial theatirical release, to which no one responded!

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... n+brothels
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

I was about to watch this the other night, but decided not to. Don't worry though guys. I HAVE A DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

bizzlestiltskin

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

if anyone's interested i've seen a few movies in the past couple days:

28 days later: i rented this because i remember some people on here saying it was a pretty good horror movie. ehh. cool cinematography with the barren skylines and stuff but honestly this movie never really grabbed my attention like a good horror movie should. kinda cheesy "monsters" too. 6.5/10.

next friday: finally got to see the whole thing. cheesy plot but it's honestly funny throughout. this is one of those movies you can watch once a year and just laugh at the stupid shit. the mexican dude is hilarious. 8/10.

sleepers: damnit, i didn't know this was a fuckin 2 sided DVD so i pop it in on the 2nd side and end up watching the 2nd half of the movie. i'm like, woah, there wasn't much of a plot on this one, or character development. not to mention, it was only 1 hr 10 mins but the netflix case says 2 hr 28 mins long. i figured out i had watched the second half and only got about 1/2 thru the 1st half. anyway, this was a decent movie. not my favorite or anything, but de niro plays a priest in a moral dilemma, which is interesting. 7/10

mean streets: for as much praise scorcese gets around these parts i would think i would love all his movies. i thought goodfellas was awesomem but mean streets just never grabbed me. great acting by de niro and keitel, plus a cool soundtrack of old italian opera. this movie didn't seem epic enough. 7/10

shine:cool movie. interesting character progression and geoffrey rush did act very well in this movie. my parents loved it, though i can't quite say that, i did enjoy this movie. 8.5/10

one flew over the cuckoo's nest: badass movie. nicholson's awesome. super original plot and great dialogue. best movie i've seen in a while. 9.25/10.
"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

It's about time some agreed with me that Next Friday is a way better film than Mean Streets.

Mike Epps as DayDay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Robert DeNiro as Johnny Boy

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

cascarrabias wrote:It's about time some agreed with me that Next Friday is a way better film than Mean Streets.

Mike Epps as DayDay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Robert DeNiro as Johnny Boy
:lol:

Anyway last night I watched The Football Factory. Some scenes are hilarious (unintenionally) and really mock football hooligans. Is London really that small a city for so many coincidences? Same cabbie every time, the same footy fans who beat them up are at a random service station on the way to a game.

Danny Dyer plays himself and there are various caricatures of footy fans I've seen at grounds. I think it has some nice shots for a low budget film but the book is so much better and seems grounded in reality.

I kinda like the film though, just take it with a pinch of salt. 6/10

RacquetballGangsta

cascarrabias wrote:It's about time some agreed with me that Next Friday is a way better film than Mean Streets.
they both suck.
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

bizzlestiltskin

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

my ratings don't reflect the overall quality of the film, but rather my level of enjoyment from the film. rating a comedy is quite different than a drama.

and honestly, i don't really care, a lot of scorsese movies just aren't that fascinating to me. i'm not knocking him as a director, but maybe he's just not my style. the aviator was nice to look at, but i didn't really connect with that movie, either. maybe for the film student types he makes some good stuff, but the the everyday movie fan i don't think he is as revered.
"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Streetcar named Desire

Obviously a classic, I didn't expect to be much impressed by Brando but dude was magnetic on screen (no homo). Almost too much as I found myself sympathising with his character a lot more then I did with Blanche. Sure he was an asshole who destroyed her, but the seeds of her ruin started with her alcholism and slorish behavior way before. He could have helped her but frankly I didn't want her to get away with it all so...

Great film though, definitely something I want to see again, perhaps in play form as well.

Going to an informal film club meeting tonight to see some rare Japanese films, I'll tell y'all if there's anything worth hunting down.

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

DUNE: 1984 version

one of my favorite movies of all time. epic.

i think i'm gonna read the series all over again.

From the land of the UNBANNED

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Caught a couple so far today.

The Crow. This was the first time I'd seen this, I'd seen bits of it but wasnt too impressed. My opinion still hasnt really changed much, it was entertaining but I just wasnt that interested at the end of the day. I'd give it an average 5/10

The Island. Not bad, not great either. The movie seemed to drag on for ages although I could watch Scarlett Johansson all day long. If she wasnt involved I probably would not have been that interested I love Ewan McGregor but I couldnt figure out what accent he was trying to do.

Some good action scenes and it was slick to look at if you can get past all the product placement. 6/10

mud

Post by mud »

The General - 5/5
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

An Inn in Tokyo - Yasujiro Ozu

Ozu's last silent film, this one was really interesting in that it somehow manages to be picture perfect neo-realism, right down to the witty kids helping the out of work father. The thing is, it was done in 1935, 10 years before the end of WW2 and 10 years before the Italians even invented it. It's imposible that any Italian filmmakers would have seen this film, so its amazing to see how Ozu latched onto ideas that would form a whole movement 10 years earlier.

The film unfortunately suffers from being silent imo, as its dialogue (or intertitle) heavy and action light, something that translates much better in sound. Visually the film is really nice though even if the print has suffered over time. It's worth noting that Ozu was still moving the camera in this one which works pretty well since we're following a father and 2 songs on their search for work. Thematically, this is before Ozu found his later day style as well: the exploration of the poor class is significantly different than his treatment of the middle class.

All in all, if you like Ozu, this is a really enjoyable film that's high on return and low on boredom/cloyness. I recommend it.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:cloyness
i wish you people would stop making up words.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

2root2 wrote:
i wish you people would stop making up gang wars.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:
2root2 wrote:
i wish you people would stop making up gang wars.
:lol:

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

a little history: if any of you post on the non prophets forum, you might remember filthy rich as the british kid who flooded the place with MSpaint pictures of sage francis as a masturbating troll.

we're talking around 200 posts by him, and another few hundred by his cohorts before sage banned him and was able to clean up.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

FoJaR wrote:a little history: if any of you post on the non prophets forum, you might remember filthy rich as the british kid who flooded the place with MSpaint pictures of sage francis as a masturbating troll.

we're talking around 200 posts by him, and another few hundred by his cohorts before sage banned him and was able to clean up.
cool, what does this history lesson have to teach us?

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

that somehow that ended up in the wrong thread...

WTF.

RacquetballGangsta

sword of doom. 3/5
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

Henessee Williams

Post by Henessee Williams »

jjust saw B13....v. entertaining.
and Alien vs. Predator which i surprisingly thought was ill as fuck!
(^^i lied i watched that last week)

also saw the National Geographic 2 hour special Inside 911...this was extremely intense and definitely the most comprehensive review of the events leading up to 911 and post 911.

it will probably be on all week, i highly recommend it.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

A Clockwork Orange. Great direction but the script annoys me, especially when that warden in the prison is screeching about. Everytime I watch it he bugs the shit out of me. Good movie though which raises some excellent points.

8/10

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

National Treasure 4/10

I knew more or less what to expect, but I didn't find the "ride" all that fun. Basically I thought it was dull and the attempts at humor were terrible. The only good thing was that Diane Kruger looked pretty hot.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Dominion 3/10
Laboured, terrible script, terrible acting, terrible cgi.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Woody Allen - Crimes and Misdemeanors

Great movie but now I'm fucking depressed. Coming from a judeo-christrian aetheist-intellectual background, I could relate to a lot of the existentialism here, but the end certainly wasn't enough to satisfy me, which I guess is kind of the point to a film like this. Really good, really smart, but one hell of a downer for me anyways.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Terry Gilliam - The Brothers Grimm

I liked this movie! It was certainly more Jaberwocky than Brazil and it stands as a commercial concession, but had anyone made this film except Gilliam; critics would have walked in with a lot less pretensions and would have enjoyed themslves. Matt Damon and Heath Ledger had good chemistry and the sets were magnificent as usual in a Gilliam film, hell he even kept his "gold filter" for the daylight scenes! The film reminded me a little too much of Burton's Sleepy Hollow, but even if this is worn out territory, it's well done. Not what I'd call an important film by any stretch, but as far as a good slice of action-adventure its the best thing in theaters since Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Singin' in the Rain - 10/10

FUH-KING CUH-LASS-ICK

Havent watched it in a while, but I've seen it at least 30 times....
I love this movie to death. The best musical of all time as far as I'm concerned.
And genuinely funny. Donald O'Conner gives such a great performance for "Make Em Laugh"....a great performance throughout the entire movie, actually, but that's the absolute pinnacle.
The "Singin' in the Rain" part always gives me goosebumps and puts a huge grin on my face.
Gene Kelly is no Fred Astaire when it comes to dancing, but damned if he isnt the most charasmatic dude of all time.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Jaws 9/10

A classic. I did laugh out loud when I saw the shark a few times.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Deathwatch 5/10

Pretty lame to be honest, I was expecting a different move I think?

Constantine 6/10

I actually enjoyed this movie I guess. I didnt think I would but I found it strangley compelling.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Today I watched Pootie Tang, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, and Soylent Green.

Somehow I am able to complete sentences and type this.