What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Just watched Crash 7/10

Good performances and great script but just wasnt as good as I expected it to be. Seemed to be too clever for its own good.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

Surviving Chrismas = 5.7 out of 10

Tolerable Affleck flick with an enjoyable premise yet vacuous characters. Seems like a lot of the movie is missing, characters just appear, bump heads and go away. My girlfriend rented it because she HAAAAAD to see a Christmas movie. Why? who knows. Affleck has a huge ass on his face.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:Affleck has a huge ass on his face.
A J-Lo sized ass?

lolorolglafaf GOLDEN STRING PHRO 1 :sylvester: :doom: :rickjames: :megaman:
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Frank Zappa's 200 Hotels - Weird for the sake of weird. Occasionally funny joke. 2.5/5

Tod Browning's Freaks - It's a soap opera set in a real RELE freak show. The first half isn't good at all. But from the wedding after party on... Whoa nelly. Great stuff. 4/5

Boogie Nights - This was at least the third time I've seen it. A bit too long but really, really good. That scene with Alfred Molina and the chinese kid throwing fire crackers is top notch. 4.5/5

Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey - The first third is amazing. The last 2/3 is a bunch of talking heads. And they're almost all really old people. The Brian Wilson part left me speechless. 3.5/5

Lester Maddox

Post by Lester Maddox »

Call Northside 777 (7/10) - Jimmy Stewart as a Chicago reporter trying to get a man off death row. Good cast playing generic characters in well-written scenes. The parts are actually better than the whole as the film is a little TOO straightforward for a "did he-or-didn't he" mystery, but still good if you're a noir fan.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Jim Jarmusch - Broken Flowers

Jarmusch is my favorite American director period end of story. Thus I loved this movie. I mean there's nothing else to say other then I found it brilliant. I'll post a review later.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I watched Brazil and Lost in La Mancha yesterday and they are both really really good..

Brazil 5/5 first time I had seen this, really great gilliam is the man..

La Mancha 4/5 Just because I think the filmmakers were just shooting bonus features for the DVD and got REALLY REALLY lucky.... still a great doc...

Lester Maddox

Post by Lester Maddox »

Night of the Creeps - 3/10
Day of the Dead - 5/10

Both movies I haven't watched since the late 80s. Night of the Creeps is terrible, but funny without meaning to be. I've hated on Day of the Dead for many years, thinking it was a severe letdown after Night and Dawn...but it has grown on me some. Still the weakest of the original three.

The Cars That Ate Paris - 6.5/10

Peter Weir's first full-length movie...I think. Bizarre story about a guy who, after being involved in a car accident, gets "trapped" in a small quirky town called Paris. Wasn't really feeling the story that much plus there was some symbolism there I couldn't grasp on the first viewing. Watchable. Weir's talents as a director are apparent even in this early film.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Seabiscuit (4/10)
What a waste of my time, I could have done without the inspirational music as well.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Hollywood Hong Kong - Fruit Chan

Hollywood Hong Kong is a film that I

Skeptic

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by Skeptic »

Jizzy wrote: Layer Cake 6/10

Starts off really slick but just gets silly.
watched this on homechoice yesterday

I agree - starts of well promising but all that bollocks at the end with two of them being coppers was stupid

concurred, 6/10

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Continental Divide (4/10)
I really wanted to like this, but it was garbage for the most part. The city stuff was ok, but the rest was plain terrible.

I think I'll watch The Verdict later.

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

Hiroshima Mon Amour - 2.75/5

started off interestingly.but um....ugh....i dunno.it looked very good..nice photography of Hiroshima...but honestly....i dont get whats so great about this movie..resnais should've stuck to strict documentaries...again, i think its one thats worth seeing, at least for the photography and the clips of hiroshima post-nuclear disaster in the beginning.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

The Forgotten (5/10) - The ending was disappointing. The premise and buildup were interesting I was just left underwhelmed. It wasn't very scary at all.

Monster (9/10) - 2nd viewing, still love this movie. One of the best performances ever.

Spider-Man 2 (8/10) - 2nd viewing, enjoyed it almost as much as the first. The scenes, particularly the dialogue, between Dunst and Maguire seemed a little cheesier this time.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

RacquetballGangsta wrote:Hiroshima Mon Amour - 2.75/5

started off interestingly.but um....ugh....i dunno.it looked very good..nice photography of Hiroshima...but honestly....i dont get whats so great about this movie..resnais should've stuck to strict documentaries...again, i think its one thats worth seeing, at least for the photography and the clips of hiroshima post-nuclear disaster in the beginning.
2.75? I don't think it's the masterpiece most people consider it but hmm... I'd probably give it a 4

And Spiderman 2 sucks. Worst dialogue ever. They never act. They just say "I'm sad" or "I miss you." Or how about when that Osborn kid comes outside after the lab accident and says "I'm ruined!" Just dumb. But the action is amazing, isn't it? Action - 5/5. Any scene without action - 1/5

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Circle of Iron (aka The Silent Flute)

The box promissed a movie starring David Carradine, Christopher Lee and Eli Walach as based on a story by Bruce Lee. Instead I got some random American mix between Harisson Ford and Ashton Kutcher playing Conan the barbarian with random fights/involvement from Carradine and about 10 minutes of the other 2. I knew it was too good to be true.

Still, it was an enjoyable low-budget Conan-era fantasy film. Bruce Lee was probably spinning in his grave as the script, originally meant to highlight Zen Boudhism, is reduced to hillarious cliches as said by white people, but its fun in a so-bad-its-good sense. Liking fantasy must have been really tough in the 70's. I mean you can't really diss someone who liked the LOTR movies but I can seriously see someone who actually LIKED this back then getting beat up after school.

on the plus side, the locations are beautiful and there's something fun about this kind of fantasy flick. like arena rock it died at the end of the decade (mostly when Star Wars made big budgets available for this kind of movie).

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

The Verdict (7/10)
Could have maybe spent less time telling us how much of a drunk Newman was, but still enjoyable. Mamet has done better though.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Slap Shot (7/10)
As good as I remember it. I only bought this because of Cas' sig.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Christine - ** Half-hearted King adap that could really use a remake. Kelly Preston looks DE-LICIOUS in it though...

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

2root2 wrote:Slap Shot (7/10)
I think this is the single most watched movie in Canadian history :ohcanada:

RacquetballGangsta

Buena Vista Social Club - 4/5

ibrahim ferrer was hella dope. r.i.p.
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:
2root2 wrote:Slap Shot (7/10)
I think this is the single most watched movie in Canadian history :ohcanada:
and so it should be, my country is stuck with either braveheart or brigadoon (or whiskey galore if you know your shit).

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

In Good Company: *** Cute premise, with corporate restructuring given a human face, but quite long. Quaid (QUUAAAAAIIIIDDDEEE) definitely looks the part, all rugged daddy-like with shock of grey hair and rusty vocal tone, but his mannerisms are quite overdone (a little subtlety please?) No subtleties with Topher either, who spazzez throughout. Scarlett Johanssen remains wifey-material, looking almost approachable until she glams up. Glaringly obvious metaphors (dented Porsche, frequent product placements) are fun a little bit.

I had to go to bed before it ended...

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Gozu - Takashi Miike

David Lynch (the CLEAR inspiration here) times Takashi Miike= I'm not going to sleep tonight. That was some weird fucked up shit even for Miike, but its also really well shot for him, got cool pacing and kepts me interested the whole way through. I don't know what the themes are suposed to be, or even what the hell is going on but it was cool.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Last night I watched Collateral. I really do like that flick, Mann is supreme at making LA look cool. The acting, cinematogrpahy, script and soundtrack make it an 8/10.

It would have got a 9 if it werent for the let down of an ending.

royal

Post by royal »

Lost Highway 6/10

A weird David Lynch film that can probably be interpreted many different ways. I like to think of it as a mixture of symbolism and dream sequences. I might have given this film a higher rating if I had a better looking copy of the film. This is easily the worst looking dvd I've ever viewed. It was so full screen only (so it's often hard to tell if I'm looking at a bad shot or bad reformatting) and the picture quality was equal to a bad vhs dub. If this one gets a remastered special edition, I will definitely check it out again.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Miss Congeniality 2: **1/4

A seemingly unneccessary sequel stars a facially restructured, perky-with-an-edge Bullock, looking very 40. I never saw the original but aparently this bitch has become an instantly recognizable celeb after her paegent show heroics: how many real authority agents become celebs for the good things they do? I mean I would recognize Mark Fuhrman, but not cuz he was a great cop. Yeah, and Regina King regresses greatly, dyking up for her "tough-girl" sidekick role. She was kind of a dime in Jerry Maguire, what happened? At least she doesn't get killed in the end. This movie was a little funny. I see these movies so you don't have to.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Kissing Jessica Stein 7/10

It's a light comedy about a woman exploring the possibility of entering into a lesbian relationship. The movie has quirky characters, decent dialogue and good performances. The ending was a little disappointing.
Last edited by Psychosis on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Psychosis Again wrote:Kissing Jessica Stein 7/10

It's a light comedy about a woman exploring the possibly of entering into a lesbian relationship. The movie has quirky characters, decent dialogue and good performances. The ending was a little disappointing.
I liked this movie a lot.

RacquetballGangsta

L'Eclisse - 3.5/5

antonioni is boring, honestly. i think the only reason i remember l'avventura so fondly is cuz of the fine ass women.
www.stonesthrow.com/vex