What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

gusty wingers

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by gusty wingers »

damn nvm guess i won't be watching it
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/the-house-that-jack-built" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently its out on VOD and in select US theaters tomorrow.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Curzon Home Cinema are streaming it. I assume other places are too. I found it a bit of a slog to be honest. Way too long.

Been a decent year for films. Any of you guys see Possum? By Matthew Holness who did Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Worth a look.

Can't really get to the cinema as much now I have a kid (apart from shite like Wreck-It Ralph 2) but managed to catch a few things at London Film Festival.

Lords of Chaos was a lot of fun.

Dogman was really good too.

But I'm generally about a year behind the curve these days and just catch things on digital, which I'm cool with tbh.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Multicultural London's multitasking Y@k Bollox.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Couple more years until he can queue outside Supreme for me.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Possum has been on my radar for a while.

Caught A Dark Song again recently. Such an underrated film.

ric

Post by ric »

Once Upon a Deadpool 2018
Didnt watch the trailers so I didn't know I was getting screwed going into this. The new stuff is funny but I expected another movie all together.

Mary Queen of Scots 2018
Loved this shit. The aesthetic is great but takes second stage to the writing and acting. The writing is phenomenal. The acting is wonderful. Robbie >>>>>> The other chick >>>>>>>. The support >>>>>>> best overall cast I've seen this year? Yeah possibly. Very high on this movie. Very compelling. Manages some very difficult tasks.

Best overall movie of the year? Maybe. It's in that discussion for me.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Custody (2018) - This critically appraised drama has great acting and compelling characters and goes to genre territory in the end which I really enjoyed.

Halloween (2018) - Had some OK scenes but the film is as pointless as you'd assume.

Pick of the Litter (2018) - This documentary is about how guide dogs for the blind are trained as you follow them from puppy to certified.

The World Is Yours (2018) - The previous and only other film from the same director had Vincent Cassell attempting to start a ginger revolution, and it had a memorable scene where he spits whiskey out on a girls breasts and sets them on fire, this film is much better and really entertaining throughout with heavy Tarantino inspiration. Another quality film released by Netflix.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - Was never a fan of Scandi noir but since it's Fincher I gave it a chance anyway and enjoyed it more or less. There is however not much action or suspense before the third act which isn't ideal for a 2h40m film.

Shutter Island (2010) - I thought this was a technically perfect film but it wasn't very engaging.

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) - This is a real gem of screenwriting from Mamet with a cracking cast of charismatic Pacino, creepy Kevin Spacey, desperate Ed Harris and a showstealing performance from pathetic and sleazy Jack Lemmon, and last but not least a memorable cameo from Alec Baldwin.

The Quiet Earth (1985) - Waking up to discover that you're the only man alive is a real winning premise. This weird Kiwi scifi is worth a watch for fans of 80's cult.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Breadwinner (2018)
Been a while since I've watched an animated feature as immersive as this. This should have gotten a lot more recognition, imo.

Gutland (2018)
Surreal noir which I found a real struggle to get through. Reminded me of Calvaire to a degree, but nowhere near as good.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
Of the Yorgos Lanthimos movies I've watched so far, this was easily my fave. Probably because the darkly comic humour came off as genuinely funny to me.

New Year's Evil (1980)
Golden age slasher with a retarded premise. What it lacked in originality, it made up for in mean-spiritism. Couldn't tell if the killer's mask was based on Richard Nixon or if it was a highly offensive asian caricature.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Tony (2009)
"I was watching Gary Busey in Hider in the House. It's a good film, have you seen it?" One of those movies I put off watching for a long while for whatever reason. Really regret doing that now, since this low budget debut feature from Gerard Johnson was superb. Other than it being filmed on my old manor and centred around a socially awkward, action-movie obsessive and serial killer, this nailed the type of dark comedy that appeals to me.

Hyena (2014)
Figured I would check out Johnson's follow-up film and this turned out to be another winner. A brutally savage and utterly compelling crime thriller with another blinding performance by Peter Ferdinando. Highly recommended viewing.

EDIT: Tony has been uploaded onto YouTube.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I loved Hyena. The Albanians are a proper lot.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

They didn't fuck about.

ric

Post by ric »

Aquaman 2019
Despite it being an adventurous kind of nonsense hodgepodge enough of it is super dope I enjoyed it partly because they were unashamed of what they were doing. Some cool and some weak action shit. I was literally predicting every couple words out of people's mouths though. since the beginning. As dope as I am not sure how I feel about that though.

Spiderverse 2019
After aquaman probably seemed better than it was. Overall pretty sweet though. Some wacky story telling. Some cool animation. Nothing to run out and see because zomg marvel universe.

ric

Post by ric »

Bohemian Rhapsody 2019
Damn good. Not the gawd movie people think. Good biopic.

Glass 2019
Kinda cool. Mostly forgetful. Didn't see Split. Kinda glad I didn't. That character is ultimately groan worthy. SLJackson dope. But the choices. Meh.

ric

Post by ric »

The Green Book 2019
Mortenson and Ali are great together. If you want to see a good movie see this. Obv preachy. Get over it. You go into it with that expectation. The art here is in the telling of the story and the acting of the story. Also cool wardrobe. And music.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

watched gran torino for the first time in a while, very much enjoyed it

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Arena (1974)
Entertaining Spartacus style exploitation from back in the day. Crazy seeing Pam Grier and Roselba Neri in the same movie; it's like worlds colliding. Funny thing about this movie is how it was obviously made for male gratification and it's kind of seen as a pro-feminist in some circles.

Velvet Buzzsaw (2019)
Loved Nightcrawler but I found this underwhelming overall. Enjoyed all the satire and Gyllenhall's perfromance, but the horror mystery felt very flat and low-level Blumhouse in style. Pacing was a big issue, too. It dragged a lot.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

What are everybody's favorite western flicks?? currently watching the wild bunch 1969, peckinpah classic

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

My fave western is For A Few Dollars More, gusty.

The Night Eats the World (2018)
Slightly more cerebral take on your usual zombie movie schlock. It's certainly a better attempt at The Last Man on Earth than say I Am Legend. Anders Danielsen Lie was very dope in 22 July and he's equally as good in this. Wouldn't say I was blown away by it or anything, but it's easily the best zombie flick since The Girl With All the Gifts.

Climax (2018)
Knowing this was a Gaspar Noé movie, I went in with some caution. This turned out to be pretty entertaining, though. Did not expect this to be so funny. Watching a bunch of extroverted dancing tossers get off their tits on acid and spiral into primal mode was unexpectedly enjopyable; even at its most hellish moments. Supposedly a true story.

The Wanderers (1979)
Erland van Lidth was only in four movies before he kicked the bucket and they were all superb. Been decades since I last watched this and I had completely forgotten how creepy the Ducky Boys were. This is the best Indiana Jones' baby mama ever looked, too.

ric

Post by ric »

Fistful of Dollars is my favorite western. Just above For a Few Dollars More.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Amazon has had some good movies lately, here's a few I checked out-

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot- Really enjoyed this one. I didn't know anything about John Callahan, but Phoenix was great as usual as was Jonah Hill. Sometimes Van Sant movies are a bit too slow for me, but this held my attention throughout, the right mix of comedy/drama.

You Were Never Really Here- another acclaimed Joaquin Phoenix film, but I didn't like it as much as the previous one. The plot doesn't make a lot of sense and it seems at times that it doesn't know what kind of movie it wants to be. Maybe because there's so many over the top revenge films these days that it seemed kind of tame compared, and it didn't have a strong enough plot to make up for it.

The Lost Arcade- A doc about the Chinatown Fair arcade. Was the last true arcade of it's kind in NY, pretty fascinating how the home gaming industry has destroyed the arcade industry, especially in America (I guess arcades are still doing well in Japan). I've been watching countless videos about 90's arcade games on youtube recently, so this one was right up my alley. Having my own basement arcade is definitely on the bucket list.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

gusty wingers wrote:What are everybody's favorite western flicks?? currently watching the wild bunch 1969, peckinpah classic
a lot of the classic westerns i couldn't get into for some reason, wild bunch, butch cassidy, those eastwood flicks, etc. here is my top five favorite westerns.

1. dances with wolves
2. unforgiven
3. the original high noon
4. true grit (coens)
5. open range

honorable mention: 3:10 to yuma, hostiles, django, bone tomahawk

ric

Post by ric »

Alita Battle Angel 2019
Cameron Rodrigues collaboration. Thought it was gonna be bad. Was mediocre at best. Some dumb shit in here some great shit in here. Mostly medium shit. Cool aesthetic? I guess. Some of it really works some of it really fucking doesn't. No prob. Did I cry? Yeah at a couple points. I swelled up at the end of the movie. That's a thing.

Beastly Swagger

Post by Beastly Swagger »

Apollo 18 was absolutely lunar themed feces.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Climax - didn't love it as much as some of you guys did. Actually thought the best part was the music and dancing

Apollo 11 (documentary) - fascinating look at the moon landing told from the inside perspective of mission control. Actually works really well as a companion to First Man

They Shall Not Grow Old (documentary) - the footage they restored is mind-blowing. I thought the narrow scope and focus of the narrative really helped me to connect with what these guys went through. There is no way I would ever have the balls to run across an open field with German machine guns and artillery shooting at me

Fighting With My Family - way better than it had any right to be

Destroyer - alcoholic LA cop Nicole Kidman takes on a bank-robbing cult. A little slow in parts, but pretty solid

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Thank you guys for the western suggestions

recent watches

get out: watched this to familiarize myself before Us comes out. fun popcorn fluff, not a bad film to be watched as a horror movie, might watch it once more with my roommate and then i'll be done with it.

house that jack built: loved it, exactly what i wanted it to be with a trippy ending, next i will be watching europa.

the favourite: about an hour in, have it paused for now, funny, definitely more of a chick flick

the gambler 1974: classic james caan flick, been a while since i watched this one

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

admiral wrote:They Shall Not Grow Old (documentary) - the footage they restored is mind-blowing. I thought the narrow scope and focus of the narrative really helped me to connect with what these guys went through. There is no way I would ever have the balls to run across an open field with German machine guns and artillery shooting at me
Yeah, that was so good. Something as simple as them slowing the footage down so it wasn't that sped up stuff we're so used to seeing just made it feel incredibly real. Like Buskwick Bill says, fuck a war.

admiral wrote:Destroyer - alcoholic LA cop Nicole Kidman takes on a bank-robbing cult. A little slow in parts, but pretty solid
I had really high hopes for this but thought the same. Solid, but lacking something.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

unclebengi wrote:You Were Never Really Here- another acclaimed Joaquin Phoenix film, but I didn't like it as much as the previous one. The plot doesn't make a lot of sense and it seems at times that it doesn't know what kind of movie it wants to be. Maybe because there's so many over the top revenge films these days that it seemed kind of tame compared, and it didn't have a strong enough plot to make up for it.
Yes. 'Tame' is exactly what I thought about this. Maybe I've been desensitised, but it promised some real brutality and didn't deliver.

Had a similar feeling after watching Shoplifters and comparing it to Loveless which I'd watched recently. Just not on the same level.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

watched high noon today, really enjoyable movie, great to put on in the background

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Good Westerns not mentioned yet (I don't think):

Tombstone
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Proposition
The Searchers
Rio Bravo
Open Range
Dead Man