What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

did u just diss robocop
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Dan wrote:Then again, Criterion have also released Armageddon, The Rock, and Robocop.
woah, woah, woah, woah

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

drizzle wrote:did u just diss robocop
:cheers:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dissing The Rock and Cronos ain't cool either.

Maybe if Robocop had a dance number with Gene Kelly then Dan would've liked it.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Dissing The Rock and Cronos ain't cool either.
true
I'm not a huuuge fan of The Rock but I enjoy it
and Cronos is real good

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Dissing The Rock and Cronos ain't cool either.

Maybe if Robocop had a dance number with Gene Kelly then Dan would've liked it.

:rofl:

Dan wrote: The reveal of the killer and his reasons were really dumb
On point, felt like i was watching a soap opera or something. Ehren Kruger's script was very weak, kind of got my hopes up for the fourth film as Craven & Williamson are reunited again. Will be watching it over the weekend. Scream is a ridiculously important film for horror movie historians, wannabe critics and amateur bloggers whether they want to admit it or not.

Dan

Post by Dan »

LilLeftBrain wrote:^expected to see that you'd watched Down to the Bone the next time you posted in this thread.
I did last week, I guess you missed it.
drizzle wrote:did u just diss robocop
I love Robocop, but I just found it odd that Criterion would release it. When I think of Criterion, I think more of art-house/foreign/obscure type titles.
Tommy Bunz wrote:Maybe if Robocop had a dance number with Gene Kelly then Dan would've liked it.
I just got wood.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Micmacs (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2009) - Everything about this was well done and yet it didnג€™t resonate with me for some reason. It has everything youג€™d expect from a Jeunet film, its funny and quirky and has a great visual style, but its missing that extra something that made you really connect with the characters from his other French-language films. Still very good and Iג€™ll probably like it more on repeat viewings.

Jonah Hex (Jimmy Hayward, 2010) ג€“ Such a shame that they made this PG-13 instead of a hard R cause there is a good premise for a film here (western about a bounty hunter who can talk to the dead). The movie is just plagued by bad decisions, from its hard rock guitar riff score to its bright and shiny cinematography. They shouldג€™ve forgot it was a comic book property altogether. Not a waste of time but not something I will revisit anytime soon. Megan Fox is still the wifey though.

Night of the Demon (Jacques Tourneur, 1957) ג€“ Really awesome horror story about a reporter trying to discredit an occult leader only to find out heג€™s in way over his head when he is cursed to die. Really awesome effects for its time (the demon looks particularly convincing) and suspenseful as fuck.

Red Cliff (John Woo, 2008-2009) ג€“ Both parts of the international version, all 5 hours of it. At first I wasnג€™t sure what to think as its way too John Woo-ey for a historical epic about Han dynasty China in the beginning (it honestly is like watching the Dynasty Warriors video games) but once it settles in and you start to get to know the excellent cast of characters I was completely hooked. There is some very convincing rapport between the cast and some clever and impressive battle sequencesג€¦this is easily the best thing Woo has done in a long time. Itג€™s a shame though that they couldnג€™t squeeze out a few extra million for CGI, cause there are quite a few times it looks pretty awful.

Hard Rain (Mikael Salomon, 1998) ג€“ Speaking of John Woo, he was actually originally set to direct this but then bailed to go do Face/Off. Hard Rain doesnג€™t get near the respect it deserves, one of the more original and exciting action movies of the 90ג€™s and the flooded town set is an amazing technical achievement. The plots a little ridiculous but who cares when you have jetski chases in highschool hallways and Morgan Freeman as a villain. Really bummed that the bluray doesnג€™t have a making of doc, would be fascinating (they literally built an entire town inside of a watertight airplane hanger and then flooded it).

I Spit On Your Grave (Meir Zarchi, 1978) ג€“ After the rape scene I was wondering what all the hype was about because it was much tamer than I was expecting. Didnג€™t realize there was lots more raping to come. Brutal film but put together much better than I expected. For an exploitation film this is shot and edited pretty well and the lead actress puts a lot into the role. Serious lol @ the director marrying her after they finished the movie, that mustג€™ve been some on-set romance.

Also watched:
Alien 3 (Finchers restored workprint, better movie than its given credit for)
Hang ג€˜Em High (a good but minor Eastwood western)
The 12 Chairs (one of my least favorite Mel Brooks films, lead character annoys me too much)
Kiss of the Vampire (Solid Hammer horror)
Cop-Out (not terrible but Kevin Smith does too much handholding with the humor)
Congo (book is better but this is better than I remembered, fun movie, horrible volcano effects though)
Tenebrae (really great Argento giallo, even though I guessed the killer immediately)

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah i agree on micmacs, it has all the right elements but just didnt connect with me for some reason.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I think its mostly due to too many ideas and characters crammed into one film so nothing really gets fleshed out the way it deserved. Neither weapons manufacturer is villainized enough or memorable as a character, the merry band of carnies are all just kindof there, the romance between him and the bendy girl just happens for no real reason (I thought Calculator was the romantic interest for half the movie).

The reason Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, City of Lost Children were all so great was because of the bond developed between two characters, here thats just an afterthought to a bunch of great set-pieces and visual gags.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

:meh:
moved by duck muscles

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

These are the movies from the Copenhagen festival, which I have managed to catch so far.

Incendies (2011) - Sure to be a favorite amongst both critics and audiences. Epic tale of a woman who goes to Palestine in search of her father. Parallel to us seeing her mother's struggles back in Palestine. Brilliant movie with one of the most shocking endings I recall seeing. Completely stayed with me for the whole day and will for many years.

The Third Part of the Night (1971) - Debut feature from Zulawski shown in good looking 35 mm. The middle dragged a bit after an intense start. Very surreal tale of a man who attempts to cope with his grief, by feeding lice and injecting them with diseased blood for a company. Can't say I enjoyed it that much, but it had good things going for it.

The Day of Ants In the Sky (2010) - A tale of an assassin's company and a newly initiated woman. Then her subsequent mission. Fairly slow execution for this cool premise. I thought it was okay but the first half hour was much better than anything else, where it becomes more of a methodical drama.

Karate-Robo Zaborgar (2011) - The maker of Machine Girl made this overgeared and completely crazy movie. A man and his asskicking robot-motorcycle is fighting an evil cyborg group of villains. Everyone seemed to love it and it's not hard to see why. Never a dull moment and the director had a sizeable budget to execute his vision. Highly recommended movie, imagine the old Batman show meeting Transformers and Robocop with a touch of the trademark Japanese weirdness.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Scream 4 (2011) (because SCRE4M looks stupid written this way)
A heavily flawed but entertaining attempt to relaunch a franchise that should have ended back in 1996. There's some smart criticism about today's horror movies and remakes here (ג€œYou forgot the first rule of a remake ג€“ donג€™t fuck with the original!ג€)and lots of geek ridden movie references to keep me happy, but I still found this film to drag quite a bit in some places making me itch for another kill to liven shit up despite the kill count being in the teens. The original surviving cast seemed to look very tired throughout the film, making matters worse, they were often side-lined for much of the film's running time and the new players weren't nearly as interesting, with the exception of Hayden Panetierre who despite sporting a bull dyke hair-do was pretty great as closet horror movie expert. At times I felt like I was sitting through a chick flick with teen bitches talking about needless shit and over annoying ringtones which incidentally must have been sponsored by Apple - nearly every motherfucker had an iPhone. The whole "meta" theme was handled well in the opening and closing acts of the film, I'm guessing Kevin Williamson is the guy to thank for that as he knew when to stop with that shit just before it would have gotten annoying. Hard to go into real detail without unleashing plenty of spoilers and half a dozen red herrings. There's still the whole lound sound for an unwarranted jump scare but much less this time around. A pretty good effort despite the laborious middle act from Wes Craven made all the more entertaining after the abomination that was My Soul To Take and the disappointing Scream 3. Not sure if it's better than Scream 2, might have to give it another watch at a later date before I pass judgement.

Recommended for fans of that bitch in A Kid's sig, her rack was very hypnotic on the big screen.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Ebola Syndrome (1996)
Utterly demented and disturbingly funny Cat III starring Bun Man himself, Anthony Wong as a (slightly retarded) homicidal rapist cook and all round douchebag that becomes an ebola virus carrier. It's obviously intended to shock the viewer with massive dollops of misogyny, sleaze, cannibalism, OTT violence, poor food hygiene and sprinkles of racism and animal cruelty (frogs and chickens). Bizarrely, this movie moved at a fast pace and kept me entertained with some truly jaw dropping scenes particularly the big finale. Will put you off dining at Chinese restaurants for a while but highly recommended.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Here's what I watched this week:

Scre4m (2011) - The long hiatus between films got me interested in seeing this opening day. I was really hoping that they wouldג€™ve moved away from the movie within a movie theme, but nope, itג€™s still there.
I do think itג€™s great that after these years, they were able to bring back all the main characters, Sidney, Gale, and Dewey. Speaking of Dewey, he got fucked up pretty bad in part 1, comes back in part 2 noticeably disabled and then gets fucked up even more in that film. In part 3 he seems even less disabled, and now in the 4th itג€™s hardly even noticeable. I guess we are to believe heג€™s been going through extensive physical therapy all of these years.
The killer and motives are a little easier to guess in this one. Iג€™m not saying I knew right away, but I did at least know it was
a female, since early on someone mentioned a ג€˜Ghost Faceג€™ voice app.
Not giving anything away, but the killers acting was pretty terrible at the end.
It was fun to revisit Woodsboro, but really unnecessary. Nothing will ever compare to the greatness of the original Scream. If they do ever decide to make a 5cream (Iג€™m guessing thatג€™s how the title will look), it will take another long hiatus to get me interested in the franchise again.

Django (1966) - This was an awesome western! I thought the dubbed voices would be distracting, but they really werenג€™t...except when a character laughs, dubbed laughter always makes me laugh.
The casket opening was one of the greatest things on film I have ever witnessed. That buildup was great.

Sukiyaki Western Django (2007) - I have owned this on DVD for years, but never watched it because I had never seen the original Django. I felt that I really wouldnג€™t get any references, if there were any. So now that I saw the original, I finally could watch my DVD.
Iג€™m glad I waited cause there were quite a few references that wouldג€™ve easily gone right over my head.
I liked Quentin Tarantinoג€™s role in the beginning of the film, but then when he showed up again, I wasnג€™t as impressed.

The Wild One (1953) - Sort of based on true events, 2 rival motorcycle gangs show up in a small town. The locals arenג€™t happy and the town sheriff feels inferior, so the people take matters into their own hands.
Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin each play the respective leaders of the gangs. Hard to top that.

Les yeux sans visage aka Eyes Without a Face (1960) - A plastic surgeon who caused severe facial damage to his daughter as a result of a car accident, tries to make things right by kidnapping beautiful women so he can surgically remove their faces and build a new face for his daughter.
Pretty shocking that they actually showed a face removal scene. For its time, that seems like a big deal.

Easy A (2010) - I stopped myself a few times last year from actually seeing this in the theater. Iג€™ve always been a sucker for high school comedies and this looked kinda good.
Iג€™m glad I didnג€™t. The premise was good about a girl helping out losers by lying about having sex with them, but then she realizes morals are important, so she has to be truthful. I forgot in a movie like this, things would need to get preachy.
There were a few laughs. The best scenes were those involving the parents, Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Inglorious Basterds is on Showtime. Started watching it after the Portland/Dallas game. You guys know a lot more about movies than I do, but when I watch this movie (and Tarantino's others) I can't help but feel he is just showing off. He's a great director and he knows it more than anyone.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Dan wrote:
Scre4m (2011) - The long hiatus between films got me interested in seeing this opening day. I was really hoping that they wouldג€™ve moved away from the movie within a movie theme, but nope, itג€™s still there.
Those were the strongest elements of the film and what made the opening and closing acts so enjoyable. I loved that "meta shit" and Craven knew when to quit it before it went annoying. I'm guessing the middle act was a victim to continuous rewrites as it was the weakest part of the film.
Dan wrote:The killer and motives are a little easier to guess in this one. Iג€™m not saying I knew right away, but I did at least know it was
a female, since early on someone mentioned a ג€˜Ghost Faceג€™ voice app.
Not giving anything away, but the killers acting was pretty terrible at the end.
My thoughts on that.
While making everyone appear shallow and vapid, the intentional lack of real character info and oddball peculiarities eg, Trevor being another obvious possibility in the Billy Loomis style mold, kept the red herrings flying in and had me second guessing throughout. My only gripe was Charlie the movie geek and his motives which make little sense in retrospect but the whole spin on the original Scream's opening scene and his final words to Kirby really stood out the most and almost made him sympathetic in a wholly pathetic way of course.

It was obvious that a female could be a possible killer since Deputy Hicks was deliberately made to be a possibility with her eccentricities but yeah it kind of led up to Jill before the big reveal. She was intentionally annoying and a made to look like a poor man's Sidney Prescott. Her motives made far more sense in the context of today's celeb obsessed bubble-gum society. I actually found that far more interesting than the likes of Roman's abandoned child rant from Scream 3. Of all the slashers I've watched, Jill's obsessive transition from killer to final girl might not be totally original but it's the best example yet and that was largely due to her performance so I disagree with you about her acting. She's definitely the best Ghostface since Billy & Stu.

Comedy Quaddafi

Sleeping Sickness (2011) - German movie which takes place in Africa. It's about two aid-workers and their differences, seperately. It's extremely restrained, managing to bring an ominous atmosphere to the table without ever using it for anything. Could be a big hit for a lot of Euro-snobs.

Black Bread (2010) - Villaronga did this Spanish drama, of sorts, which takes place in a small village during the civil war. The opening setpiece is completely thrilling, one of the best immediate beginnings to a movie which I remember seeing. Unfortunately there's not much else of that sort. It does have a good story however, good acting as well, altogether an enjoyable film.

Finisterrae (2010) - Two ghosts have to travel through a forest to become living beings. Completely crazy and understated deadpan humor, I couldn't believe what I was watching. I would say it is like a creepy children's matinee but it is made for adults. While it could seem pretentious, the directors seem to also make fun of themselves as well. Great movie to watch after a spliff.

Tucker Dale Vs Evil (2011) - Extremely funny horrorspoof seen from the rural people's POV. Not much else to say. Make sure to watch it if you like horror comedies. Crowd was really in to it.

Cold Fish (2011) - Interesting genre blend, serialkiller movie full of dark humor, some business, lots of overgeared drama and some nasty gore action. It's about two fish-trader who start working together, one is a mousy emasculated male - with a wife who has the best tits I've ever seen on Asian woman - the other is an outgoing and, as you gradually find out, a completely crazy and dangerous man. The 140 minutes passed before I could even blink. I'm still of working on an interpretation, it can be viewed as pure entertainment, but there is definitely something there. We in the crowd were laughing at the end which is strange because the end is shocking to say the least, the last 30 minutes are quite extreme in tradition of other Japanese movies like Audition. You know it's coming but you wouldn't really expect what you finally end up getting. Early contendor for "movie of the year."

Kidnapped (2010) - It would be hard to place it right next to other entries in modern Euro-extremism, but it's definitely in that company in terms of mood and it's unapolegetic revelling in repellent nastiness. Think Funny Games without condescending meta-fuckery. What is very interesting to me is how it effortlessly blends what appears to be a standard home-invasion thrillerfare only to take it further to full-on adrenalin-kicking angry horror. A remarkable feat is the intelligent use of split-screen which never comes of as gimmicky, I've never seen this device used as well to build to the scares. There are plenty of excellently timed jump-scares in the first half. In particular an opening scene which introduces us to what were in for, without showing us, very clever way to open it. The ending is as clever, it plays with the audience's expectations from a genremovie, turning frequently used plot-devices on their head. The crowd left in complete shock I was happy and energized from seeing a movie that does everything right, which took quite a lot of guts from the director. Some people asked "what's the point?" if they have to ask they will never get it. It's true that there is no compassion for the characters, they're being played with like when a little kid burns ants with a microscope. But that is very much in the spirit of the story it is based on, there were robberies in Spain where the robbers first removed an eye of the people being burglarized and told them "give us your creditcards and codes or we will take the other eye."
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/complet ... _failures/

complete history of my sexual failures on sundance channel.

The film was part of the "World Cinema Documentary Competition" at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.

not too shabby. seems a bit staged.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Need to see three of those movies that CQ watched.

Here's what I watched over the last week or so. Too lazy to write in more detail.

Bikini Girls On Ice - Underwhelming in the T&A department and it's pretty bloodless too. Very formulaic and runs out of steam well before it's short running time.

Madman - Finally checked out the flawed Code Red print of this film that's had emo horror geeks on the verge of slitting their wrists. Fun film but the jacuzzi scene still bothers me with the awkward man ass shot.

Dagon - Stuart Gordon on the Lovecraft tip again. Underrated film and underrated director, better than Castle Freak. Reminds me a bit of the Resident Evil 4 game.

Time Bandits - Still one of the greatest kids' films I've ever seen. Quotables for years. My favorite Gilliam fim for sure.

Fight Club - An absolute classic. Blows me away each time I catch this movie on TV and I never get tired of it.

American Nightmare - Debbie Rochon queen of all fuckable slosh pots goes ape shit in this micro-budget style slasher. Cured my insomnia.

Leprechaun 3 - Other than the last one which I've still not seen, this is the best one in the entire franchise for me. Never even realized Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2's Stretch was even in this movie until now, I feel completely retarded. Very funny film blessed with Tammie, one of the hottest failed actresses around. A shame Brian Trenchard Smith followed this movie up with the incredibly shambolic Leprechaun 4: In Space.

Dance Of The Dead - Obviously borrows heavily from Return Of The Living Dead. Starts off pretty weak but gets better by the end although it does finish too abruptly.

Happy Hell Night - Early appearance by Sam Rockwell (two minutes in total) in this supernatural slasher. It possesses some great gothic atmosphere particularly the mental asylum and mausoleum scenes but once the frat party kicks off it all goes down the toilet. The antagonist, while creepy tries too hard with the Freddy one-liners.

Planet Of The Apes - The original sci-fi classic and not Tim Burton's abortion. Completely love this movie and it's in my personal top ten movies of all time.

Happy Birthday To Me - Never seen this movie with it's original soundtrack, this might be pretty geeky but it makes for notable improvement with better atmosphere. Hardly a big deal compared to a butchered print of My Bloody Valentine and the unrated version but enough for me to sit-up and notice. It still amazes me that it's was directed by the J. Lee Thompson responsible for classics like Ice Cold In Alex, Cape Fear & The Guns Of Navarone with works like this and his Bronson head-lined movies.

The Quick & The Dead - Sam Raimi's love letter to the westerns of yesteryear. Love the fuck out of this film, it's pretty cartoonish laced with some truly larger than life gunslingers which appeals to me greatly. Great cast in this, Hackman kills it as the villainous Herod and Sharon Stone even finds time to get her titties out. Deserves more props.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

The Deadly Spawn (Douglas McKeown,1983) ג€“ Hilarious low budget B movie horror about a meteor that crashes on earth and is carrying an alien species which reproduces extremely fast and quickly terrorizes a small town. The aliens start off as a small worm-like creature (rather similar to those of Night of the Creeps) but grow much larger, almost like above ground Tremors but with arms. The creature effects are astounding and really the main reason to watch this, the design almost gives them a personality, like the aliens are just there to fuck shit up, eat people and have a good time. Watching them go ballistic on a vegetarian party for old ladies was a real delight and the movie doesnג€™t care about saving characters that you would normally expect to survive.

BMX Bandits (Brian Trenchard-Smith, 1983) ג€“ Aussie kid flick about a group of bmx kids who find a hidden cache of special walkie-talkies, only to find out that the walkies are wired to intercept police-frequencys and belong to a group of bank robbers who need them for their next heist. The movie is basically one long chase scene with lots of car wrecks, bicycle stunts and kids banding together to fight back against some particulary clumsy and eccentric goons. This was a lot of fun to relive as an adult. This was the film debut of a 16 year-old Nicole Kidman.

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (1980) - Hadnג€™t seen this since I was a kid so I have no idea what Donner actually changed here or whether this is actually a better version than the original, but the general consensus is that it is better and that Richard Lester (who replaced Donner during the original filming) was a hack. Overall though, this is an average superhero movie; Reeves makes for a believable Superman but plays Clark Kent to be a severely dopey bumbling pansy. The villains are rather silly but its Gene Hackman and Terence Stamp so its still a good time. I did enjoy the scenes of Lois Lane trying to trick Clark into admitting heג€™s Superman, first by jumping out of the window of a skyscraper and eventually even pulling a gun on him.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (David Lynch, 1992) ג€“ The first time I watched this I was really disappointed with this; not because it wasnג€™t a good film but because I was unable to judge it on its own merits because it wasnג€™t what I wanted it to be. I wanted 2 more hours of the tv show. This isnג€™t that at all. By focusing this as solely Lauraג€™s story of her last days, it loses all the small town charm and sentimentality that helped balance out all the crazy dark shit on the show. This is essentially a horror film, a 2 hour nightmare of the physical and emotional horrors that Laura had to endure as she came to understand who her assailant was and the depths of the evil that had become her world. In this aspect the movie is extremely convincing and has some of the most striking imagery that Lynch has ever filmed. The assault in the train car and the orgy scene at the Bang Bang Bar stick out especially.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

funny thing about fire walk with me, took me about a dozen viewing to realize it too (especially since i saw the movie before the show) - the most random and incomprehensible moments, specifically the David Bowie scene + random unrecognizable Heather Graham cameo + the creamed corn thing + seemingly pointless shots of static and wires and telegraph poles - all go some ways to 'explaining' the black lodge and actually connect to the end of the tv series as a kind of moebius strip narrative

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Deadly Spawn is a really fun film, loved how it felt like a fifties sci-fi b-movie but with OTT eighties gore. The old ladies' party scene is some truly hilarious shit.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

expected a lot to begin with as this is a Gosha joint, but was still blown away - this is one of the better chambara movies i've seen in a looong time, especially as far as reg1 releases go. the story is nothing too special, fairly standard genre faire, but the focus here is on action and general badassery and in that regard it's pretty amazing. the general atmosphere and pulp tone is similar to LW&C and Zatoichi series, and ninjas fall by the dozen every 10 mins or so at least. plus the whole thing looks like a Rembrandt painting. Highly recommended

Kinda like a more straight forward version of Kind Hearts and Coronets, with a meta gimmick of having some insanely famous people do random cameos in unrecognizable makeup. Definitely a lesser Huston joint in the overall scheme of things, but I dig stuffy Anglophile murder mysteries so it did the trick on a rainy saturday. Even with its faults (plot holes and sloppy b-plots and the pointless cameos) its still Huston directing George C Scott as lead and Kirk Douglass as teh villain.

Somehow i've never seen this before, glad I finally caugh up, good shit all around.

Comedy Quaddafi

Death Kappa (2010) - The director was asked to do an epic monstermovie with little to no money and he accepted the challenge. The result is Death Kappa, a kappa is a turtle-parrot-something monster who is friendly and likes cucumbers. The special effects are hilariously bad and the whole movie is really cheesy. Pretty entertaining I think.

Tetsuo The Bullet-Man (2010) - Not sure what to say, I have never seen anything likes this. Rapid-fast 1000 image per second editing, industrial score by NIN, a paperthin story and actors deliberately acting out their character in strange ways. Being very drunk and high I thought this was a pretty big experience but I wouldn't bother if you can't catch it in a cinema. Even then I wouldn't know who to recommend it to. Not a good film but a decent experiment.

Son of Babylon (2010) - Quite hypnotic arabic roadmovie about some kurds in Iraq lookin for a lost son/father. Fairly depressing in a way but it doesn't really force emotions on you. Cool look at present day Iraq.

Viva Riva (2011) - Gangstermovie taking place in Congo. It is fairly upbeat and therefore falls a bit short when it tries to sincerely speak on social issues. Otherwise it's a fun flick and a pleasant break from the atrocious Guy Ritchie-isms which this genre is pestered by. Enough violence and sleaze to entertain you and an okay, if all too familiar story, supported by decent but formularic characters. These Congolese gangsters are seriously well-dressed.

Essential Killing (2010) - Somewhat like the Fugitive but the pplot is less ambitious, we follow Vincent Gallo, who plays the terrorist, trying to survive in the Siberian forests after being captured and getting away. There's barely any dialog but the movie is beautifully filmed and there are plenty of cool setpieces.

We Are What We Are (2010) - Very solid genre-blend of family drama and horror. The story is a bit underdeveloped however, and ends too suddenly. It's rare that I say this but I wished the movie was much longer for us to really get to know the family. Everything works out pretty well so it's a bit of a shame. Nitpicking aside I think this is a brave film and a really good way to give some credence to the horrorgenre which is often lacking good ideas and solid characters like in this movie. A Mexican family is torn by the death of the man in the house and they have to pick a leader, which is all the more important because these people happen to be cannibals. Te cannibal part is a bit underdeveloped just like the drama bit. Near miss from being a modern classic IMO. Watch it.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lol i saw death kappa completely by accident last year, the scene in the nazi lab in death kappa is amazing, if the whole movie was like that it would'be been a lowbudget masterpiece. they lost me when the plot randomly switched in the last 3rd of the movie though.

Comedy Quaddafi

Yeah the kappa just disappears for about 20 minutes but the showdown at the very end is good though.

The scene where that girl's music is playing and it makes the kappa all giddy and dancey was my favorite part. Also the way it snack on those cucumbers *nom nom nom nom*
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

Anyone else seen Tetsuo Bulletman?
- MB

None

Post by None »

Spartan wrote:Scream 4 (2011) (because SCRE4M looks stupid written this way)
I was entertained throughout even though the middle dragged like a motherfucker. However, Westboro has the worst cops in history and David Arquette was god awful in this.

Comedy Quaddafi

Trollhunter (2010) - Solid and inoffensive monstercomedy from Norway. It uses the mythology of trolls well and exploits every opportunity to make you laugh and at the same time keep the story going. I like that this is a good movie I could watch with my kids without making them dumb or gay, if I had any, there aren't many of that kind as far as I can tell. Can't imagine who would dislike this.

Tony (2010) - A short little portrait of what the life of a serialkiller from London might look like. It's fairly haunting to know that there are many people who live like Tony, of course not many become serialkillers, but some might. Tony is a complete misfit, can't make friends, keep a job, can't do anything really... other than watching 80's actionmovies and killin those who get a little too close. Not a movie with a lot of suspense or gore, not really a horrormovie as such. Could be likened to Henry POASK but I think that comparison is slightly off, the mood is somewhat similar though and so is the way it is filmed.

Illegal (2011) - A drama from Belgium about the holding centres for people seeking asylum. That's a really nauseating premise as I hate when directors try to exploit people's pain for their personal gain. Luckily it's done with euro-tact and the result is a very intelligent film that does affect your emotions without banging you over the head with the devices and overexposing dialog for the idiots in the back. Is sure to spark controversy and raise this ongoing debate in Europe (but not really because no one will watch it) but I am glad that it shows the real enemy is bureaucracy rather than the easy-bought conclusion that Europeans are evil and racist. We have to help people, can't help everyone, so we weed out the applicants in a manner that certainly does seem rather inhumane - how to solve this? No clue, nor does the movie offer suggestions, it just lets you know that things are pretty bad as they are. Watching this gives me the same feeling as watching a subdued horrormovie. The story is told well with respect for the subject-matter, acting is excellent and it does look quite good draped in haunting blue colors. I voted for this for the audience award and I hope it wins.

Hobo With A Shotgun (2011) - There you have it, a perfect movie. This is like a steak compared to the canned ham North-America usually serves for us. It reminds me more of rebellious 80's movies than most of the grindhouse movies I've seen. The tone is similar to Robocop, Deadbeat at Dawn, Vigilante and Ms. 45. Jesse Eisner made the best of his budget, rather than squander money to make a big-budget movie look cheap. This is why it's by leaps and bounds the best of the grindhouse revisionist movies, it doesn't try too hard to tell us that it's an awesome no-nonsense movie, it shows us. It is shot in almost overwhelming blue and red colors and sometimes makes me think of Suspiria, the way it is shot will definitely turn off some people as it isn't bright and clean-looking. What amazes me is how it manages to be very angry and funny at the same time, why choose when you can have both? The characters are all memorable and sometimes even original. It's a movie with a soul which makes me hope not too many directors jump on board to cheapen this wonderful little niche.

Reign of Assassins (2010) - There's a good movie somewhere there but it sort of got lost in an eagerness to pander to stupid westerners (I think). Lots of cool fighting scenes in this movie and a classic martial-arts plot, the setting and everything is used well to draw us in to this period in Chinese history. Too bad that it gets a bit too cute and silly and as a result it's a bit dishonest and sterile. You do get the feeling you've been watching classic kung-fu but wrapped it in a shiny and stinky Hollywood-package. John Woo co-directed it and Michelle Yeoh's character is named Drizzle.

13 Assassins (2011) - One of the best samurai movies I've seen and one of the best Miike movies I've seen (haven't seen that much of either.) The first hour is classic samurai-drama sprinkled with Miike-moments of shock and dark humor. The second half is all-out action. I like both parts equally, this is the real deal. Amazing movie.
- MB