What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Comedy Quaddafi

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

The Untamed (2016) - This is a stylish sci-fi horror from Mexico about an alien prescence pleasuring women. It was like a Latin-American take on Antichrist by Von Trier. I still haven't fully understood it.

Bodom (2016) - Finnish forresthorrorfilm with good gimmicks but it was more for the teen crowd than people like me. Its being remade from what I understand.

Dog Eat Dog (2016) - Paul Schraeder directs Cage and Dafoe (sp) in a film about criminals fucking stuff up. It was ok.

Manson (1973) - Manson docu from that era with scary interviews with his disciples and a lot of private footage from the family.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Kubo And The Two Strings - great animation and just a great kid friendly fantasy movie in general. An interesting original concept, the story reminds of old fables in the best way, some really cool monsters/visuals. Probably the best animated feature I saw this year.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ric

Post by ric »

assassin's creed 2016
everything about this movie is good except the most important things
1) the story is wack
2) the concepts that drive everything are wack and barely realized
3) the meshing of the game and the movie is sometimes dope and sometimes super dumb

this would've been sweeter if they started from the standpoint of building the world for an audience that isn't 'in the know'. it seems like they just said fuck you to the non video game playing and regular movie enjoying audience of the world. and in doing so they squandered a real opportunity to actually make a good movie.

the second most important thing that is lost is the mood and attitude and context of being an assassin is totally a huge part of what makes the fucking games (until the 3rd one when of course the mood is mostly lost and marginalized in the mire of pointless if sometimes enjoyable wilderness exploration) and the mood in this movie is the herky jerkiest shit I've seen since like predators with Adrien Brody (obv not a compliment)

it's almost like this movie is TRYING to climb the prometheus tree but there's no ridley Scott to save the day and the movie is too small to climb to the first limb
Spartan wrote:Fury (2014)
Can't believe it was made by the same guy who did Suicide Squad.
:lol: so you're saying it is good and has depth?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ric wrote:
Spartan wrote:Fury (2014)
Can't believe it was made by the same guy who did Suicide Squad.
:lol: so you're saying it is good and has depth?
You could say I was presently surprised.
Last edited by Spartan on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Don't Open Till Christmas (1984)
No matter how many times I watch this fucking train wreck of a film, I'm still drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

Silent Night (2012)
Not a very popular opinion, but I kind of prefer this over the notorious original. Malcolm McDowell's performance as the batshit sheriff alone kind of puts it in another league already, and it doesn't take forever for Santa's slay ride to begin.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Sleepless Night (2011) - Was curious since they remade it with Jaime Foxx, and it did get some good buzz when it first came out. Fun but nothing too crazy, too contrived even considering the premise, and more 'realistic' in action staging than I would've liked. Stuff like this is actually more suited to remakes than actual classics imo, there's nothing much to ruin and a lot to improve on.

Neon Demon - Loved it, it's pretty much exactly what I expected/hoped for. I'm all here for Refn creating self-contained mythologies that are all surface and artifice.

Keanu - Pretty meh. Didn't expect much from this but I do like some of K&P's sketch stuff so I was hoping it would be a good dumb timewaster, but it's not even satisfying as that.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
This film has a lot of heart. Sam Neill is really great in this as the old curmudgeon and the fat kid is nowhere near annoying as the trailers hinted at. Doesn't reach the same dizzy heights as What We Do in the Shadows did, but a good film regardless.

London Has Fallen (2016)
Gave this another viewing after seeing it on many critics' shit lists - those fuckers are too far up their own pretentious arses to appreciate a great action movie. The alley shootout alone was on some Who Dares Wins shit and made me shed a tear like Angela Bassett in the chopper.

Cell (2016)
Now this was legitimately shite.

ric

Post by ric »

Jackie 2017
Portman dominates the other actors do a great job. I don't know anything about her so I couldn't compare it to anything in that sense. really cool photography. the audience seems to have a lot to think about in this movie. interestingly darren aranofsky co produced it. makes sense. feels great. to translate that world to audiences nowadays (ie me) must have been tricky.

Fences 2016
really disappointed. I mean like really really disappointed. the fact that it's clearly a play and doesn't really lose those trappings isn't what's so ugh about it. obviously some really good acting. I mean obv. the story is fucking garbage though. august Wilson can suck it. this should've never gone to the cinema

Comedy Quaddafi

Holy Hell (2016) - Solid CNN-docu about the Buddhafield cult. The leader of this group is a complete creep.

Jeeg Robot (2016) - Anti-hero superherofilm from Italy. Did not quite live up to expectations after the festivalhype.

Blair Witch (2016) - At times Wingaard came really close to doing this film just right. But the ending wasn't very satisfying.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

How did you see Jeeg Robot, I've been curious

Comedy Quaddafi

Theres a torrent on urbanproxy
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

War On Everyone - a buddy cop comedy by the dude who did Calvary and The Guard. Pretty much the same formula Shane Black eats off, but done darker and sharper (ironically the characterization here is much broader than in Calvary and The Guard). Goes into some very offensive and fucked up territory that might turn people off, arguably without a strong plot justification for it, but overall I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Nice Guys was probably funnier, but I might prefer this one overall. It does some interesting things with this formula that Black has never touched.

ric

Post by ric »

Silence 2017
good shit all around. a worthwhile and affecting movie

Comedy Quaddafi

Le Mans (1971) - I respect this film but its not really for me.

The Final Terror (1983) - A lost Canadian survival horror like Rituals, although not as good. Still a lot better than many similar movies. The main focus is survival and slasher-elements are not really at the forefront. In that way this is closer to something like Deliverance. Highly recommended for people who like backwoods horror.
- MB

ric

Post by ric »

Passengers 2017?
eh. cool. mid level ceiling. at least they played music (figuratively) with the genres involved and didn't do anything particularly retarded. almost cried but not quite at one point. a good enough date movie as there is some juicy 'what if' subject matter

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Elle - goddamn what a great movie. Verhoeven hasn't been this openly and directly transgressive about sex and morals in polite society since maybe the 4th Man. selling it as rape revenge movie is pretty reductive, this is more like a modern Belle de Jour but without couching the kinky shit in romantic surrealism. all the praise Huppert is getting for this is well justified, but it's not all her either, the character she plays is also incredibly written. I'd gladly watch more movies about her.

Comedy Quaddafi

Memory of a Killer (2003) - Solid Belgian thriller done in US-style. Cops track a hitman who is out for revenge. Weird this was not remade since it was sold but it might still get made perhaps.

A Map for Saturday (2007) - A man quits his awesome job to travel around for a year and incidentally makes a documentary about it. It's not so much about traveling as it is about white backpacker culture which wasn't what I was looking for at all. Backpackers are pretentious dickheads and they make me want to not travel to Asia or anywhere ever.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Killer Elite (1975)
Far from a great Peckinpah movie, but a good time all the same. Found it really muddled and very self-indulgent, tbh. This weird juxtaposition of your quintessential seventies era paranoia thriller mixed with a ham-fisted ninja showdown kind of made it hard to take it too seriously. Still, the cast is really great, especially James Caan in the lead; dude could do no wrong for me during that time. One aspect which I found really refreshing was just how unorthodox this felt in comparison to your usual contemporary action flicks.

The Interview (2014)
Expected to hate this due to Rogen, but I found his straight-man routine a lot of more palatable compared to his usual schtick. It's far from great, but it's proof enough that the usual formula can work occasionally for Messrs Franco & Rogen.

Dead and Buried (1981)
Still a ridiculously underrated horror movie. Deserves a lot more recognition.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote: The Interview (2014)
Expected to hate this due to Rogen, but I found his straight-man routine a lot of more palatable compared to his usual schtick. It's far from great, but it's proof enough that the usual formula can work occasionally for Messrs Franco & Rogen.
I really liked the first part where they just do a loose a idiot/straight man routine about having a tabloid news show. it gets more forced and less funny when they actually go to Korea and have to follow the premise and make a real story out of if.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Arrival: watched the screener which prob took away from the awesome visuals. I liked what they tried to do here. But the cliched government reactions and the I know Mandarin randomly dragged it down a notch. Nice fun movie, but it speaks volumes that this slightly above average movie is being considered for best picture
Fantastic Beasts aka Boardwalk Harry Potter: Slightly more adult take on the HP series. I liked this one. They're really stepped up effects since the first series. Redmayne is great and really nails the awkward introvert well. I'm sucker for these movies but I did Farrell did really well here as well. The twist you can see coming but they still executed it well on both fronts.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Momentum (2015)
Olga Kurylenko is hot as hell, but she can't carry an action movie to save her life; even if it's some generic Olivier Megaton looking shite like this. Fortunately, James Purefoy channels several decades' worth of English charismatic psychopaths to keep the film interesting. Producers somehow managed to scrape enough cash to hire Morgan Freeman for the day to act old and stately in an old and stately office. Was surprised it ended with the potential for an obvious sequel, because there isn't anybody going to watch that shit.

Hell or High Water (2016)
Can definitely see how this made it onto a lot of people's end of year lists, even if I found it a little slow in places. Pine and Foster were really great, but Bridges' was the main highlight for me. The last thirty or so minutes are exceptional and end this movie on a very high note note.

The Rezort (2015)
This was basically Jurassic Park meets Dead Island. If only the rest of the film lived up to its dope concept. With the exception of Dougray Scott's alpha dog shit, none of the other characters were remotely interesting (even the bird off Casualty) and seemed like your usual cut and paste cannon fodder. Bizarrely, this film reminded me of Bruno Mattei's tropical, trash masterpiece Hell of the Living Dead, so I'll give it props for that.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Spartan wrote:Image

The Killer Elite (1975)
Far from a great Peckinpah movie, but a good time all the same. Found it really muddled and very self-indulgent, tbh. This weird juxtaposition of your quintessential seventies era paranoia thriller mixed with a ham-fisted ninja showdown kind of made it hard to take it too seriously. Still, the cast is really great, especially James Caan in the lead; dude could do no wrong for me during that time. One aspect which I found really refreshing was just how unorthodox this felt in comparison to your usual contemporary action flicks.
Feel the same this, its not good but its still kinda good.
Sam added a cocaine habit (thanks Caan!) to his already legendary alcohol addiction during the filming of this movie, so he was at peak crazy during production.
A lot of the crazy Peckinpah stories are from this period. Pretty sure he overdosed on coke on set and later dove into a swimming pool without realizing there wasn't any water in it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote: The last thirty or so minutes are exceptional and end this movie on a very high note note.
Yea that last scene is incredible. People made comparisons between this movie and No Country, which is think is a stretch except for that scene.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Girl With All the Gifts (2016)
Absolutely loved it. Mushroom zombies, I Am Legend and a hint of Village of the Damned thrown in for good measure. The kid in the lead role was really fucking good. Won't go too into depth, but this really separates itself with so many other genre orientated dealing with a post-apocalyptic event. It raises questions of ethics regarding human survival, beyond just shooting flesh-eating fungus people in the head. Well worth checking out.

Don't Breathe (2016)
The lesser of last year's two home invasion flicks centred around a disabled home owner. Fede Alvarez and Jane Levy team up once again after their meh Evil Dead remake - thankfully Levy has the good grace of covering up her blotchy thunder thighs this time around. Despite some solid scenes of suspense and tension, this doesn't match any of the adrenaline rushing levels achieved by Hush. A plot twist is telegraphed far too early, which left an important reveal feel somewhat underwhelming. Still, I still thought it was a solid time-waster, but other than the turkey baster scene, there's nothing really remarkable nor memorable about it.

ric

Post by ric »

drizzle wrote:
Spartan wrote: The last thirty or so minutes are exceptional and end this movie on a very high note note.
Yea that last scene is incredible. People made comparisons between this movie and No Country, which is think is a stretch except for that scene.
very good stuff. the build to it too is just great. on the hills etc.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Child 44 (2015)
This was released the very same year Hardy trolled Hollywood with his funny accents and weird voices, and he does not disappoint here either. For the most part, the film seems to forget the main focus of the movie being the hunt for a serial killer. Instead, it largely concentrates on how oppressive and dangerous the Soviet Union was for everyone living there. Phenomenal cast here, but it continually pisses me off seeing an amazing actor like Gary Oldman limiting himself with such smaller supporting roles. Overall, I thought this film was decent but it felt like a so-so period drama you'd expect from the BBC. I would recommend the similar themed Citizen X over this.

Blair Witch (2016)
Bloody Disgusting's close association with Adam Wingard and its coverage of this movie turned out to be a bit of a controversial topic amongst some horror heads. Beyond all that, the film was essentially a product of two very different halves: the first, being a largely ineffective and boring retread of the original flick; the second, is way more interesting and Wingard incorporates elements recognisable in other seminal found-footage flicks, including the likes of Grave Encounters to [REC]. Decent film, but I expected better from Wingard.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Hidden Figures-acting is superb. Great cast even Janelle Monae was good too. Pacing was a bit quick when you consider the love story they add in for filler. But maybe that was how it was done in the early 60's

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Judge Dredd - Yes the 90s one. You know, not for nothing, if this wasn't an unfaithful adaptation of a beloved cult character, it would probably have a much better rep than it does now. Schneider is an eyesore but he has a fairly small amount of screentime, and the casting of the other supporting roles balances him out. Assante makes for a pretty good scene-chewing villain; Diane Lane, Prachnow and Von Sydow deserve better but their effort definitely helps. It's dumb but not any dumber than any other mid-level 90s actioner. It doesn't look cheap, at least for the time. The action is pretty decent. In terms of look and feel and even story themes, it's not far from Demolition Man. Like with any dystopian scifi of the period, there are some obvious nods to Bladerunner. So I'm not full on saying underrated, and not claiming misunderstood, but I'm saying..... it's like thinking you had Aids but it turned out to be something you could clear up with a little penicillin

ric

Post by ric »

Gold 2017
actually pretty sweet which I did not expect. the photography is great in this almost the whole way through. I like McConaughey and the chick but I LOVED Edgar ramirez. not only the character but the performance. in a lot of ways he actually kind of makes the movie for me. cool story too though. great music.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

De Palma (2016)
Fascinating two hour doc of De Palma just sitting in a chair and talking about his movies. I could have happily watched this all day, because this shit was awesome. Only real gripe was the fact that we only got about five to ten minutes to cover each of his movies. There's still a tremendous level of insight offered, his anecdotal recollections were pure comedy. Obviously, Hitchcock gets mentioned a lot - along with the misogyny. Great doc, hopefully we get a similar one on Carpenter.