What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by drizzle »

The Void - a neat triangulation of the intersection between Assault On Precinct 13, Hellraiser and the broad strokes of Lovecraft lore. It doesn't have anything new to add to/comment on these sources, but combining them under one roof is a pretty cool idea. I enjoyed it a lot, but about a third of the people in the theater weren't feeling it to the point of heckling. In all fairness there are some valid reasons to nitpick, the creators overextend themselves in the end and things do get a bit goofy, but considering the movies that inspired it this shouldn't be a dealbreaker imo. Maybe the marketing oversells the 'cosmic horror' elements, there are a few great moments of that but most of the fun is in the slimy tentacles and blood geysers spouting when those tentacles get hacked at. The reviews are on my side here anyway so suck it NYU hipsters.

Tresspass - this has a really good 'minor movie from a great director that's aging really well' feel to it. A lesser writer/director would've wrote the white dudes as sympathetic heroes and the gang members as clear cut villains, but here everybody is flawed and has bad plans/makes bad decisions. The innocent homeless dude is really the only truly sympathetic character. Also, gotta love how much running time is devoted to a crisis of leadership within the gang.

Passenger 57 - Haven't seen this in decades, so glad BAM ran it as part of a Snipes retrospective. Total nostalgia trip of course, but viewed through a critical eye it's objectively great at the stuff that makes late 80s/early 90s action movies work.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle wrote:The Void - a neat triangulation of the intersection between Assault On Precinct 13, Hellraiser and the broad strokes of Lovecraft lore. It doesn't have anything new to add to/comment on these sources, but combining them under one roof is a pretty cool idea. I enjoyed it a lot, but about a third of the people in the theater weren't feeling it to the point of heckling. In all fairness there are some valid reasons to nitpick, the creators overextend themselves in the end and things do get a bit goofy, but considering the movies that inspired it this shouldn't be a dealbreaker imo. Maybe the marketing oversells the 'cosmic horror' elements, there are a few great moments of that but most of the fun is in the slimy tentacles and blood geysers spouting when those tentacles get hacked at. The reviews are on my side here anyway so suck it NYU hipsters.
Enjoyed this a lot, too. I do think some of the criticisms like the writing being the weakest part was a fairly valid criticism. It would have greatly benefitted from a streamlined script - making it feel less convoluted, imo. On the whole though, we got one of the better recent attempts at Lovecraftian horror and a refreshing alternative from the usual mainstream horror hogging the spotlight. Glad I'm not the only one who spotted Hellraiser and Assault on Precinct 13 amongst its obvious influences. Also, that tribute to Fulci's The Beyond was amazingly well done. I'll cop this movie on blu-ray.

ric

Post by ric »

Zookeepers Wife 2017
Sort of interesting take on events that are constantly being rehashed. You know what it is. You know how it'll end once things pick up. A waste of time? Not necessarily. Bruhl is a bitch but he's at his best here (doesn't say much) Chastaine is fine as fuck and gives it a nice whirl here. Her husband gives a pretty inspired performance. A good movie to watch while spending time going back movies that you missed from 2017.

Gifted 2017
I cried a lot during this movie. I don't know how to say what I feel about this movie. Maybe I don't know my own feelings yet. I'm crying as I write this. Strange. I'm gonna get it when it comes out. But it's not like it's some particularly impactful movie. Or maybe it is. It's an honest attempt at dealing with the subject matter. It's shot in such a pedestrian way...the sets were great and the use of environment. The constant switching of focus is interesting though. I don't know. I can't really think straight about this one. I like Chris Evans. I like the little girl. The writing wasn't even particularly good. It's good in some ways and pedestrian as fuck in other ways. But when this hits shelves I'm gonna buy it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote:
drizzle wrote:The Void - a neat triangulation of the intersection between Assault On Precinct 13, Hellraiser and the broad strokes of Lovecraft lore. It doesn't have anything new to add to/comment on these sources, but combining them under one roof is a pretty cool idea. I enjoyed it a lot, but about a third of the people in the theater weren't feeling it to the point of heckling. In all fairness there are some valid reasons to nitpick, the creators overextend themselves in the end and things do get a bit goofy, but considering the movies that inspired it this shouldn't be a dealbreaker imo. Maybe the marketing oversells the 'cosmic horror' elements, there are a few great moments of that but most of the fun is in the slimy tentacles and blood geysers spouting when those tentacles get hacked at. The reviews are on my side here anyway so suck it NYU hipsters.
Enjoyed this a lot, too. I do think some of the criticisms like the writing being the weakest part was a fairly valid criticism. It would have greatly benefitted from a streamlined script - making it feel less convoluted, imo. On the whole though, we got one of the better recent attempts at Lovecraftian horror and a refreshing alternative from the usual mainstream horror hogging the spotlight. Glad I'm not the only one who spotted Hellraiser and Assault on Precinct 13 amongst its obvious influences. Also, that tribute to Fulci's The Beyond was amazingly well done. I'll cop this movie on blu-ray.

Oh yea they could definitely use some streamlining, some better developed characters too. I still don't understand what the drifter's deal was. I was kinda annoyed how none of the twists are really set up properly, for example some flash of the
doctor
twist should've been evident in the interaction with the junkie, and they could've easily had some throwaway misdirection line about the
father of the baby
. Without setup it felt like they're just kinda making shit up as the movie progresses. But still, not really a deal-breaker for me.

ric

Post by ric »

Kubo and the Two Strings
pretty dope really. plain simple concepts with dope animation that is well adorned if that makes sense. like truly using the animation etc to craft feelings that work with the themes. God that's the worst sentence I've written in a long time. um.. just cool shit. good voice acting.

ric

Post by ric »

Gangs of New York 2002/2003
you know... Im glad I got this DVD for 4.99+tax. it's not that great. I'm surprised it was nominated for so much shit. I mean I get a lot of that shit. I get it. but like.... eh. a solid movie. a very good movie as a whole. but all the hype it was getting? nah. this was my first viewing. I refused to watch it when it first came out. I was convinced the pianist was the movie of the year that year. then you also had Bourne #1 etc. so... I'm like... this was pretty dope but not like DOPE. Daniel day Lewis dominates tho. that much is true. Leo does good. Cameron Diaz does good. Liam dominates. gleeson is dope. but there's some shit in here that I'm just like meh about. especially the ending. the story goes kinda wack sometimes. the ending is like stfu. seriously. like freal. not satisfying. not at all.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Barb Wire - had a feeling that this was one of those shitty 90s things that aged into some good kitsch value I was right. Pam Anderson is obviously a terrible terrible actress, but a 'gun-toting stripper' role fits her well and the other people involved in this go a decent way towards making this watchable and fun. For some reason the whole thing is conceived as a post-apocalyptic Casablanca with Pam, and ends up accidentally prophetic in a way similar to the Purge movies (Washington right wingers are neo-Nazis, etc). The action is not great and the plotting is often nonsensical, but the stuff lifted directly from Casablanca works better than it has any reason to and parts of the movie are very stylish in that garish 90s MTV kind of way. There are also a couple of good character actors in supporting roles too, Udo Kier predictably classes things up. So it's definitely not a good movie, but maybe something that deserves the kind of re-appraisal trashy 70s/80s gems got in the mid-00s.

Matrix Revolutions - Haven't seen this since the theater when it was first released, had a feeling it's unjustly maligned but actually it totally deserves the hate. There are a few good action sequences you can count as a mitigating circumstance, but this also has the Zion rave and The Architect (I thought both were in the 3rd) and those are just the worst. And the whole thing is just really silly in too many ways, at some point it just becomes impossible to take seriously.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Blumhouse double.

Split (2017)
Easily Shamalamadingdong's best film since The Village (fuck you, I liked it!). James McAvoy really killed it in this and Anya Taylor Joy might be one of the best new rising stars right now.

Viral (2016)
Definitely aimed at retarded teens, but this turned out much better than I expected. Nothing will ever reach the dumb extreme that is Ebola Syndrome, but this sure takes a stab it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Alien 3 Special Edition/Assembly cut - never seen this version, it's a bit of a mess but I appreciate the ambition and the vision. As a moody piece of world building it's pretty cool. I love the idea of these prisoners as dystopian religious hermits, and the environment is very well designed to compliment it (the original idea of this being an actual monastery planet would've been even better). Unsatisfying as far as the actual alien stuff goes though, and the pacing/rhythm of this version is way off.

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle
the rhythm in the alien 3 ensemble is way off but it makes me feel like I'm glad somebody cut a lot of that shit out. some of it should stay and be expanded on and some of it should go. It seems like they were really at the end of their idea fountain but if only they had some fresh water shit could've been even sweeter. failure isnt such a terrible thing though. after all the regular movie is actually pretty sweet considering what it is.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I recently sprang for a new 65" 4K LG 3D tv after finding out that they weren't going to make 3D tvs anymore. Best purchase I've made in a long time.
I've pretty much just been binge-watching 3D movies nonstop.

Toy Story 1, 2 & 3: Amazing how primitive the first Toy Story looks now, and yet at the same time it still looks pretty great. They did an awesome job post-converting these to 3D.

Dial M For Murder 3D
House of Wax 3D: Basically the whole reason I wanted a 3D tv was to finally get to watch the older classics in their original 3D form for the first time. House of Wax alone almost justified the purchase. The axe throw actually made me twitch. Have Creature From the Black Lagoon, Gog, Man In The Dark & Jaws 3 on the shelf to be watched soon.

Priest: There aren't a ton of R-rated 3d movies so I watched this just for the fuck of it. I was under the impression that this was a terrible movie but fuck it I kind of loved it. It's like a vampire Mad Max/Dark City mashup and has some solid action sequences.

Resident Evil: Retribution
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - Rewatched Retribution as a refresher for the new one, its probably one of the better movies in the series. Didn't really care for The Final Chapter that much. They screwed the audience big time by starting this one years after Retribution, which ended with that awesome scene of the White House surrounded by millions of zombies. Such a cop out. On the plus side, this is the first movie in the series where Anderson's MTV Music Video version of the apocalypse actually looks like the apocalypse. But other than the slightly clever but kinda obvious plot twist in the end, the plot sucks for the same reason as Suicide Squad; its basically just a group of people fighting from point A to B to C in a straight line without anything of consequence happening along the way. Also has one of the worst examples of bullshit modern editing of action sequences when Alice fights some creature in a lab and it literally cuts to a different shot every other second so you have no idea what the fuck is going on. Fuck that shit.

Avatar: Loved this the first time in 3D in theaters but got kinda jaded by hype backlash watching it in 2D at home in the years afterwards. Seeing it in 3D again was amazing, it's still the best 3D ever by a large margin. Also I forgot how finely crafted this thing is from a blockbuster movie perspective...sure its a bit conventional by design and the story is obviously pieced together from a bunch of well-known sources but Cameron's a lot like Tarentino...sure you know he's stealing shit but he's great at putting it into a entertaining package. The whole third act is seriously one of the most fun action sequences ever; I've put it on for multiple people as a demo to show them the tv and every single one of them ended up glued to their seat watching it til the end.

Gravity: So good seeing in 3D again. Hard to believe this was a post-conversion. Rewound and watched the space station explosions multiple times.

Angry Birds - Good 3D, not a good movie but there's enough surprisingly dirty jokes buried throughout that I didn't mind it at all.

Monsters Vs Aliens: The best homage to monster movies since Monster Squad, as far as kids movies go.

GI Joe Retaliation: Way better than the first one and underrated as a legitimately good action film. Would love a 3rd one.

Life of Pi - One of the best movies of the past decade, so glad it held up to my memories. This is one of those magical movies that reminds you of the true power of the medium. Also this has one of the best dvd/blu-ray special features I've ever scene: a detailed, special effects breakdown of all of the layers and processes of the special effects that went into filming the ship wreck scene, all sequenced together to show you how each scene was built, and the entire thing is in 3D. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the film-making process.

Other 3D movies in my binge-watch:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Men In Black 3
Underworld: Awakening (every 3d movie should have Kate Beckinsale kicking people in skin-tight leather)
Pacific Rim (like Avatar, needed to see it in 3D again to really remember why I loved it in the theater so much, so fucking great)
The Lion King
Drive Angry
Wreck-It Ralph
A Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (never really cared for Spongebob but I kindof enjoyed this)

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

D'Ardennen / The Ardennes 2015

Really dope Belgian crime/drama movie. It's about 2 brothers who have a criminal past together. One of them got caught during this, and the film picks up when he is just released from prison after doing 4 years of time. A time where a lot of shit has changed..

Was surprised by how good this movie was. Great acting, nice shots and settings and imo a really good story with surprising twists.
A solid 8

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Free Fire - Mostly enjoyed this but not sure how others will react to it (I think I was the only one with a generally positive take on High Rise). There is one big flaw in this that kept bugging me - 90% of this movie is people crawling to places and shooting from behind things, but it's kinda hard to tell who is crawling where and shooting at what. Wheatley doesn't really have the chops to show the complex spatial relationships he creates here. Then again, the movie is more about the people doing the shooting and the consequences of getting shot than the actual gunfights, and in that regard there's a lot of good. The ante is upped successfully several times through a combo of logical consequences and good deus-ex machina mcguffins, and the characters/actors are uniformly funny. Sharlto Copley absolutely kills it, he was my favorite character and this is probably the best I've seen from him yet. Armie Hammer surprisingly comes in close second, dude might be underrated.

ric

Post by ric »

Lost City of Z 2017
actually pretty goddamned dope.
this one really resonates with me emotionally. really good storytelling here. really good acting here to give you just the right tone both delivering their lines and performing the emotional/physical aspects. great sets. beautiful lighting and photography.
the use of formal interaction as part of the culture of the world (which definitely has some truth to it) sets up this really interesting tone both emotionally viscerally and works as a guide rail to tell the story and give you all your cues and at the same time the formality and the acting helps to draw you in. subtle shifts of formal vs informal and other kinds of behaviors and disciplines help to make this movie resonate

theres only one really minor part to the story that I'm like eh to as I think it over writing this and it's minor as fuck.

anyway really enjoyed this. recommend it. thumbs up.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Ant-Man: rewatched last night. Ages pretty well so far. Stoll does the villain thing well. Mike Pena steals the show in comic relief. The whole thing with the ants is pretty retarded tho

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Funny rant about the epidemic of bad remakes that have plagued Hollywood in recent years.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i really enjoyed snowden (2016). oliver stone, of course, inserts his strong political views but as a filmmaker he is still a master. the politics do not take away from the story, as it contains many elements of a traditional spy thriller/drama along with the inherent paranoia of whistleblower/big brother type films. somewhat reminiscent of mann's the insider (1999) but with more of an emphasis on the military angle, less on the courtroom. one of JGL's best performances, some really cool supporting actors/cameos, great acting overall. also creepy sound design that hints at electronic surveillance with subtle effects that are a little too familiar. 8/10

ric

Post by ric »

sleight 2017
saw this because I felt like seeing a movie. not good. there is some surprisingly good stuff here. but like 90+% is total garbage. everything from the dialogue to the concepts at every level. the physical look is mostly good. you could say that much. but this was terrible in most every other way. they had sort of an interesting concept with the magic thing. but they fucked it up. just like everything else. it's not even that this movie tried to do too much (although you could say that). it's that the foundation is mostly fucking garbage. it's not even fair to judge these actors on the merits of their performance because what they're being asked to do is so fucking bad.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Revisited this early 90's gem of an action film last night
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Stake Land II: The Stakelander (2016)

Was a bit apprehensive about this, since Jim Mickle wasn't back in the director's helm, but this turned out to be a decent follow-up. It's not without it's flaws, however: my biggest gripe being Martin just isn't as interesting, despite being a bit of a badass, and the feral girl was a bit of a waste of space. Still, there's a lot that I did like, ranging from the vengeful Vampire Mother, The Brotherhood and the whole vampire post-apocalypse vibe, but most of all Mister manifesting into this Max Rockatansky style legend.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Age Of Shadows - Korean spy/action flick, set in the 20s, got some good reviews when it came out last year. Slick, well made entertainment but the plot didn't move me too much.

Split - as M. Night Shamalamadingdong's return to form..... :sole: It's def his best in some time, a lot of fun shit happens in the first 2/3rd and Mcavoy does a pretty great job at juggling the different personalities. But in the end Shamalam just trips over himself as usual with a dramatically deflated 'huh what? umm I guess' ending. Ironically the obligatory twist becomes a funny commentary on the current state of commercial cinema.
2000 twist - this seemingly good guy was actually a bad guy all along. 2017 twist - this movie is actually part of a franchise we are definitely going to try to spin further in 2019.

ric

Post by ric »

King Arthur 2017 or whatever they're calling it
was actually pretty sweet.
yours and my favorite bit character actor makes a noteworthy appearance. guy Ritchie directing. you know what that means. lots of cutting and zooming and rotating etc. there was one sequence where I was seriously getting dizzy. an interesting way to do king Arthur. the main guy is sweet but the script and style helps him here. possibly a sequel to...
include some dudes who were left out
not your stock Arthurian shit. so just go in knowing that and you'll be ok. dope performances from bedevere and the witch

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Good to hear, sad to hear the movie flopped so bad

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Get Out (2017) - I'm generally nauseated by US-style "let's talk about race"-stuff but I have to give a pass to this guy who made the first black angst horrorfilm (I think?). There's something ironic about white hipster journalists overhyping it though... maybe that could be the plot for the sequel?

The Void (2016) - Fulci-style splatter with a lot of heart and guts. A slightly more coherent script could have been great but maybe next time.

The Devil's Candy (2016) - The Loved One's was a demented joyride but this was a dull carcrash with a few good moments. A hippie family buys a haunted house and is stalked by a fat schizo-pedo in a tracksuit.

The Survivalist (2015) - Neat, British post-apoc thriller. Does what its supposed to on a minimal budget and does it better than many movies that cost a lot more.

Shottas (2002) - Never saw this before for some reason but I enjoyed it a lot for what it was.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

ric wrote:Lost City of Z 2017
actually pretty goddamned dope.
this one really resonates with me emotionally. really good storytelling here. really good acting here to give you just the right tone both delivering their lines and performing the emotional/physical aspects. great sets. beautiful lighting and photography.
the use of formal interaction as part of the culture of the world (which definitely has some truth to it) sets up this really interesting tone both emotionally viscerally and works as a guide rail to tell the story and give you all your cues and at the same time the formality and the acting helps to draw you in. subtle shifts of formal vs informal and other kinds of behaviors and disciplines help to make this movie resonate

theres only one really minor part to the story that I'm like eh to as I think it over writing this and it's minor as fuck.

anyway really enjoyed this. recommend it. thumbs up.
i thoroughly enjoyed it as well, but have noticed many negative and mediocre reviews. lots of people commenting on hunnam being uncharismatic as a lead but i thought he did well.

ric

Post by ric »

@jeffresh in re lost city of z
yeah shit was dope. I'm not surprised it got medium or bad reviews. critics nowadays are retarded. Dude does really well and makes some really good choices for the lead character and as far as I remember most all the acting in this is really really well done. the kid maybe is off but that's minor really even if it's true. there's obviously different moods and a certain kind of spell they're going for and they achieve it in my opinion through and through

ric

Post by ric »

wonder woman 2017
shit is kinda dope. lacks the mega blockbuster feel. Danny Huston >>>> dominates his parameters which are a little too limited and cliche in my opinion but it's always enjoyable watching him work. there are some really dope shots and sequences here as well as some milquetoasty shots and sequences. of course the music is good but it's not like blow your balls off good which is disappointing because I was expecting my balls to get blown off by the music. overall the movie lacks total mastery but still looks feels and sounds pretty good. but it's a little disappointing because even like batman superman has a bunch of masterful moments amping up the energy. and wonder woman has so much potential to amp you up but it doesn't when it could often enough. they went a whole nother route with some of this stuff. the route worked for a lot of purposes but doesn't make me feel fucking crazy fucking amped for the future of the character. even though there's a bunch of sweet sweet shit. wonder woman actress does well and the dude interest does well and the brit dude does pretty well with what he's doing. not sure that's really the look though but whatever.

also they fucked with the wonder woman movie lore and character continuity in ways that kinda suck. some of this is the writing some of this is direction and some of this is broad stroke architecture. still a good stand alone movie for what it is. I like the movie and I'll purchase the movie probably but it could've been better. it's a little disappointing but not terribly disappointing and I enjoyed myself even though I went in to the movie wanting to give myself over to the spell they were weaving. this wasn't a movie where it grabbed me 100% from its own amazing merit. the amazons are dope. the way they do the villain is cool but just doesn't flow with what batman and superman have laid out for the way the world feels. the toxic drugs are kinda dumb.

also... the very ending. something happens because something else happens. stfu. so silly and dumb. just edit that out and the movie gets better.

to sum: cool shit but underwhelming and safe and then some shits like eh. I like it overall but we'll see if that sentiment continues.

ric

Post by ric »

Paris Can Wait 2017
Tuesday is movie day. ok. so. saw the American zoetroppe card at the beginning and was immediately thinking Oh shit maybe I've stumbled into something sweet here... nah. a bunch of muddled home and garden moments later saw that Eleanor Coppola wrote produced and directed this. ugh. shit was so confusing until that moment. I will say though that it inspired in me a feeling of sensuality. that's the only real take away in this movie. there's some sensual stuff going on not that it's necessarily totally effective.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Get Me Roger Stone (2017) - This documentary is a lot of fun and gives you the interesting story about the most infamous guy in American politics. Some of the anti-Trump talkingheads are a bit annoying but other than that this is topquality infotainment.

Pyromaniac (2016) - Skjoldbjærg is perhaps Norway's topdirector with films such as Insomnia and the underseen Nokas in his resume. I feel like the world needed a proper film about firebugs and this is it. Very disturbing in its own right but perhaps a bit too understated for my taste.

The Hateful Eight (2015) - This kept me interested in where the story would go throughout with lots of cool scenes and suspense. Not quite as good as Django but better than IB in my estimation, to put it in context of the most recent QT films.

Woman in the Dunes (1964) - A classic of Japanese cinema. Teshigahara directing Kobo Abe novels is a perfect match. The Face of Another was equally genius and its hard to choose between the two. This one is very highly recommended not least because its really weird but completely accesible at the same time, once you settle in to the mood of the film you will be glued to the screen keeping an eye on every little detail.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Rabbi Jihadovich

Post by Rabbi Jihadovich »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
Woman in the Dunes (1964) - A classic of Japanese cinema. Teshigahara directing Kobo Abe novels is a perfect match. The Face of Another was equally genius and its hard to choose between the two. This one is very highly recommended not least because its really weird but completely accesible at the same time, once you settle in to the mood of the film you will be glued to the screen keeping an eye on every little detail.
Both the book and the movie made me feel very itchy and uncomfortable.