What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Will peep that one next.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Highly recommend The Big Risk as well as far as classic French noir goes. Sort of like the exact opposite of a Melville film

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

yeah, like geometrically oppositite in philosophical outlook, completely deflates the underworld mythology
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Incredible film. Lasted nearly three hours and didn't seem it at all. So many layers to it. It's just dropped so don't really wanna spoil it by discussing too much. See this.

For anyone who caught Mother (Bong Joon Ho 2010) this is comparable and probably better.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

wait...whats this 2nd Breathe movie?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

le deuxieme souffle. criterion put it out on dvd a few years ago.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Here's what I watched this week:

Broadcast News (1987) - I knew this was going to be a drama, but I had no idea it was also going to be really funny as well. The humor mostly comes from Albert Brooks and he was great in this.
Very good film about local news anchors. Great blend of drama and comedy. There was one comedic scene that seemed out of place. A woman is racing against the clock as sheג€™s dodging obstacles throughout the office to get a tape in a machine on time to air.

What About Bob? (1991) - I was 17 when this came out, and even though I liked Bill Murray, I had no interest in see a PG rated film. I was under the impression that PG meant family friendly with really dumb, safe jokes.
As an adult my tastes in films has matured, so I decided to see what I missed.
This was very funny. It wasnג€™t nearly as safe as I thought it would be.

Le chagrin et la piti

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Suicide Club (2002) - The movie which would put Sono on the map during the wave of popularity j-horror had in the early 00's. It's nothing like what you would expect however, there's no girl-ghost or tangible villain. Kids are commiting suicides as if it is the trendy things to do and no one is sure why. Japan has been plagued by suicides and this movie deals with that in a round-about way which might seem offensive but I don't think that's the case. Pop culture and alienation between generations seems to be the problem but, and this is the movie's weakness, there's not enough time to properly explain in depth what's going on, so all of the ideas are kinda crammed in to a neat marketable, gory package - Noriko's Dinner Table is probably the movie he wanted this movie to be. Still very much worth a look.

Replacement Killers (1998) - Suffers a bit from a thin and cheesy script but there should be more than enough to satisfy any action-fan with modest expectations.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Tommy Bunz wrote:le deuxieme souffle. criterion put it out on dvd a few years ago.
oh yeah. i got that. just dont read french so i didnt know. was thinking that woo made a movie where he closely emulated da gawd...

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

battle beyond the stars - as far as cheesy lowbudget starwars knockoffs go, this is pretty top notch. the space stuff actually looks pretty decent too, they obv sunk most of the budget into those effects while skimming heavily of the set and costume funds

man who knew too much (34 version) - young chubby skunk haired peter lorre stealing every shot he's in.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Faster (2010)
Thriller that concentrates more on the themes of revenge & forgiveness rather than out and out action. Quite slow paced. The bored British assassin was really lame but both Thornton and The Rock were more than decent.

Monsters (2010)
Don't understand the trend to make a monster flick and then concentrate on anything but the monster like Cloverfield for example. Monsters was a better film however. Decent sci-fi flick and while the male lead was particularly douchey, he didn't annoy me enough to spoil the movie. Good film and really well done on such a cheap budget.

Comedy Quaddafi

Outlaw (2010) - Yet another Korean revenge movie, one which has managed to offend a few people. Some revenge movies are serious and some are meant to be plain fun, it's hard to tell what the purpose was here, that might be what prompted the rage of some film-bloggers. During the first hour misery is heaped on the protagonist to a rather extreme and almost cartoonish degree, then guy can't catch a break. Then he goes in to Punisher-mode, seemingly, yet his plan is slightly more sophisticated than what you would expect. The movie should have focused on either being an ultra-violent crimedrama or a superhero-esque revenge movie, you're left a bit confused and unconvinced.
"This movie doesn't represent real people or situations" says the disclaimer at the end, and believe me, that's quite reassuring.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

[quote="Spartan"]Faster (2010)
Thriller that concentrates more on the themes of revenge & forgiveness rather than out and out action. Quite slow paced. The bored British assassin was really lame but both Thornton and The Rock were more than decent.
[quote]

yeah this subplot heavily undermined the movie, it felt like half baked idea for a whole different movie that randomly got tacked onto this one

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

stained my brain pretty good. loved the two girls. swept me somewhere far away and sad.

cool to watch, but too mucky and showy for it's own good imo. I guessed the end section too which didn't help. still, watching orson welles is like watching god so whatever. the main story was pretty fascinating but the the jedi mind trick deal he was going for didn't get pulled off so at the end i just kind of felt like "well, nice try".
the boy is the father to the man

hustler

Post by hustler »

watched INSIDIOUS last night. it was alright. the first twenty minutes had some serious pacing issues but the later half was filled with thrills and chills and also a few good laughs.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

hustler

Post by hustler »

Dan wrote:
The Fountain (2006) - I hated this. I mean really hated this. Apparently Iג€™m in the minority since I read tons of praise for it on IMDB. I donג€™t care, I was not impressed.
couldnt agree more. hated this movie with a passion. one of the worst ive seen.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

last night i watched the entire second season of Sons of Anarchy in one sitting without breaks. Put it in around dinner time and didn't stop til it was time to get ready for work this morning. Sooo fucking tired right now.
Great show.

Comedy Quaddafi

Haunters (2010) - A thriller about a man who can control people within his field of vision, except for one guy who decided to fight him. Classic good vs evil story. It has a lot of really cool scenes where the villain is excercising his mass mind-control powers.

Big Tits Zombie (2010) - The movie is a bit crap and that's ok, but there's not nearly enough tits in it.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lion in winter - who could've known all the way back when they made me watch this in 9th grade history class that is was just a medieval version of Arrested Development. the older me, being gay for historical dramas and stagey acting clinics, and with the added bonus of the AD parallels, enjoyed the shit out this

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You really need to watch Ironclad.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

already bought it, just didn't get around to it yet. i was actually planning on doing a medieval double feature where the talky first entry would be balanced out by the actiony second entry, but then lion in winter ran too long and i wasn't up to watching a second 2hr movie

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

fast forward the entire romantic subplot and you won't have any complaints.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

rango - dead ass, best new movie i've seen in a while. i've heard good things but this surpassed any expectations i've had by far. shit's like jodorowsky making a cartoon homage to leone and chinatown, and somehow it still manages to hit all those points and still be funny and genuinly warm.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Here's what I watched this week:

Where the Wild Things Are (2009) - It takes a lot to get me to watch a movie geared toward children. To this day I still have never even seen a Pixar film. I donג€™t even watch animated TV shows. Oddly enough, I have no problem watching old episodes of Scooby Doo or Looney Tunes, but youג€™ll never catch me watching Family Guy or anything on Adult Swim.
I decided to give this one a chance since it was directed by Spike Jonze. I had never read the book, so I was completely unfamiliar with the story.
I thought it was awfully dark for a childrenג€™s story, which kinda surprised me. The story was enjoyable and the puppets looked great.
Iג€™m not about to change my feelings on movies aimed at children, but this was a huge step for me. If anything, it might get me to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox sooner. I know thatג€™s not a kids movie, but it is animated. Even though Iג€™ve loved every Wes Anderson film Iג€™ve seen, Iג€™ve always held off on giving that one a chance.

Intolerable Cruelty (2003) - A Coenג€™s brothers film that seemed to be geared toward the masses. It wasnג€™t as quirky as youג€™d expect. The comedy was pretty much all straight forward.
I really liked the pre-credit intro, but then after that I wasnג€™t as impressed.

Hobo with a Shotgun (2011) - Over the weekend I traded in 50+ DVDs. I got over $100 in store credit. So as Iג€™m browsing the Blu-ray section, I see this film. Just days earlier it was made available for streaming on Netflix and I immediately added it to my queue, but hadnג€™t watched it yet. Since Netflix lacks surround sound, I decided to get this on Blu because it just seemed like the type that would be much better in 5.1. Plus, the disc is loaded with special features.
I couldnג€™t help but compare this to Machete since theyג€™re both based on trailers seen in Grindhouse.
It certainly captured the look of a bad 70s B-film and the violence was over the top, which was to be expected. Rutger Hauer was terrific in this.
This was a lot of fun to watch.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

fuck mr fox

watch rango if you want something really good that's nominally for kids but should probably never be shown to actual kids

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Nah Fantastic Mr. Fox is excellent.
Haven't seen Rango yet to compare the two but no need badgering the fox.

Speaking of kids movies, I watched How To Train Your Dragon recently and jesus fuck that movie is fun. Best animated Dreamworks movie easily.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote: no need badgering the fox.
llolololol nice

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Your Highness (2011)
Surprised by the amount of filth talk and gore in this D&D/Fantasy comedy. Really enjoyable parody of movies like Krull. I could have done with about twenty more minutes of quest gags as the finale was over pretty quick but this movie was a lot of fun. Portman was fucking awesome in this.

Nightmare (1981)
Definitely a creepy and nasty slasher from yesteryear. Already posted my thoughts on this in the past. Good film but it's hardly the classic some people make it out to be.

Comedy Quaddafi

Thirst (2009) - Been neglecting this a bit for silly reasons. It's an interesting vamp-movie and the priest-angle is a great spin on the usual tale. The ascetic lifestyle of the priest is slowly disintegrated with a little help from a woman, and that was cool to watch. On the other hand, I think this film is slightly wanky, with a little too much visual posturing which seems to be there in favor of allowing us to really sink in to the characters. Maybe it's just me but the artsiness struck me as a bit overcooked and labored at times. It's a dope vampire movie though so I'm not gonna piss against the wind just for the sake of it, sometimes I just felt very distanced from everything that was going on.
- MB