What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ric

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by ric »

@bunz
The last of us references being about 50% of the reason I didn't want to see this one initially because even the synopsis screams last of us movie and I've already beat last of us a couple times and that shield on her face was gorking me out so I'm like.... Eh..... But then dudes said it was good so now I'm like ehhh.... Maybe

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Its actually a rip-off in the best way though. If the actual Last of Us movie comes out nearly as good I would be shocked.
Watch it. There are enough unique elements added to it that it becomes it's own thing. I think you'd enjoy it.

ric

Post by ric »

girl with all the gifts 2016
best zombie movie since 28 days later. very last of us-y. like ridiculously last of us-y. as noted there are differenes and they are substantial in their own way. not a huge deal though. anyway its cool. good movie. worth seeing. good recommendation. some of the character rationale and premises are like whatever but in general a very solid foundation to precede filming. acting was pretty good all around here. even the little girl is robotic in a good way.

spirited away 2001
never seen this. pretty damn good. now i see what all the hype is about. didnt like how basically they just discard/shed and add to the relationships in the film to move the story forward. like the mask ghost. hes quiet and ok. then hes big and gonna dominate then hes small and all of the sudden cool again. and its like....huh? really? now he sews? i mean come on mang.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I, Tonya - really liked the movie, then watched the 30 for 30 about Tonya Harding for the first time and liked that a little more. The documentary footage and interviews just hit you harder, and it makes a more concise argument for Harding as somebody who got a rough break in life but is also likely guilty of being involved in the assault. But the movie is very worth watching too, it really plays up the absurdity and idiocy of the plan and the people involved, which the doc doesn't really go into that much. It might be worth watching just for Allison Janney as the mom, she's incredible.

Good Time - finally got around to it and it blew my mind, easily top 3 of the year immediately. It's incredible how it manages to keep the tension going for the entire running time. Props to Necro for managing to squeeze in an N-bomb into his 75 seconds of screen time.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

The Martian (2015) - I feel spasm of violent hatred when I think about how shit this film is. Matt Damon is human-shaped statue of vomit and seeing him wank in a CGI-desert for 3 hours waiting for something interesting to happen is like having a terrible nightmare only to awaken and realize you're inside a coffin being buried alive. This is the worst film ever made by a respectable director and everyone involved with it, including the people who like this film, should be fed to starving and horny komodo dragons.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) - I guess I just don't like Algorithmus or whatever. His gimmick of having characters that behave and speak in a detached and deadpan way manages to impress a lot of people for some reason but it doesn't do anything for me.

The Big Racket (1976) - Awesome Italian madness which is both Deathwish and Dirty Harry at the same time.

The Wolf of Wall Street (2012) - I skipped this until now thinking it would be full of uninteresting biopic-style storytelling rise&fall-cliches and cringey voice-overs. My prejudices were absolutely correct but I loved every minute of this bloated mess in spite of it. Leo pretending (?) to be on drugs and acting like a dick is the best comedy-stuff I have seen in a long time.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Bright (2017)
Great concept, but I don't think its execution was particularly well done. Based on this and Suicide Squad, I actually think Ayer struggles with handling more fantastical material, and Will Smith's performance felt neutered here. Imagine Guillermo del Toro doing this, though!

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (aka Night Warning) (1982)
Really odd slasher obscurity from the golden era. For the most part, this felt like I was watching some after school special, but with a head-in-a-jar and strong incestuous tones intertwined. Susan Tyrell plays the batshit mom from hell with a lot of zeal, but the biggest surprise is cult actor Bo Svenson almost becoming a minor villain as a totally bonkers homophobic cop.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (2013)
So fucking good. Wasn't sure how this would translate from TV to film, but this turned out to be a superbly funny comedy. Steve Coogan killed it.

Also finished watching Peaky Blinders (season 4), the glorious return of League of Gentlemen and about half-way through Black Mirror (season four). Altogether, this has been some quality TV.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I think Ayers just struggles, period. Legitimately don't get how he keeps landing big directing jobs. He's made six terrible-to-mediocre movies and one good movie (Fury).

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Shape Of Water - loved a lot a about this, Del Toro's completely straight-faced approach to the core love story and his obvious affection and compassion for the 'good' characters really makes this work. It's also a surprisingly subversive photo-negative take on 50s Americana, showing it as a shiny false front masking something toxic underneath (not the most original idea but always welcome.) But it feels clunky and obvious at times too, especially in the first half. Pan's Labyrinth felt like a more elegant and polished take on a dark fairy-tale. Maybe Del Toro is not entirely comfortable with the American setting, everything looks cool but it's not the gothic style you would expect from him, feels more Coen-ish instead (specifically Hudsucker Proxy.) TBH based on the hype I expected a little more from it, not at all mad with what it is tho.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Fair assessment. It may be his least fantastical tale to an extent. I loved it from the jump but I've seemed to appreciate it more as I think about it over time and how well all the pieces fit together. I think it needed another ten minutes of story to develop the relationship between the creature and Elisa and the second half is definitely a lot stronger. Legit think Sally Hawkins should win the oscar in a role where she doesn't speak. Guillermo says he casts people by their eyes and you can really see that in this; her expressions got my eyes welling up a bit a couple times. Richard Jenkins and Michael Shannon both flex really hard AF in this too. Ending reminded me a lot of the ending of Pans Labyrinth.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I think it needed another ten minutes of story to develop the relationship between the creature and Elisa
yea this stood out for me as well, the movie just kinda rushes between 'they meet' and 'they fall in love' without doing much to connect the two. they could've done more to develop the creature itself too, he really only has a personality in as much as he reacts and responds to Elisa (maybe the idea is that he's just an object of her fantasy and that's enough to draw her to him)

you're right to say this is one of his least fantastic stories, the supernatural element might even be a little under-baked here. is he just some lost species, is he something more, is she something more, it's all kinda vague. the symbolism of him being a classic film monster feels more significant than any underlying mythology that would explain all that. still, the beginning/ending framing device and how it actually ends really invites the comparisons to Pan's Labyrith.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Atomic Blonde (2017)
Another girl power action flick and about thirty minutes too long. Theron and MacAvoy have little to work on here and for me at least, the real stars of the film were the setting and location. For what's essentially an action movie there's a long wait to get to the action scenes, and the stairway / hallway scene is the only memorable bit. Instead, there's this dreary, derivative, cold war spy tale that drags the film down. The classic pop soundtrack is largely hit and miss and it ultimately reminded me of Suicide Squad. Kind of ironic how music videos were how upcoming film makers started out and now it's almost become vice versa.

Dunkirk (2017)
I like Nolan, even though I find him a little overrated. My biggest issue with his films, is there's way too much unnecessary exposition and we end up with epic running times to explain shit. Not the case here. A fairly lean movie which focuses on the evacuation through the eyes of truth be told, very minor characters. This is a stunning looking and well crafted film, with some very intense scenes peppered throughout. Could have done with more Branagh, though.

Good Time (2017)
It's an ugly, grimy NY movie and definitely not for everyone, but I found this really funny and very entertaining. Kind of how I imagine what a Troma movie would be like if it went the Oscar bait route. Even though he's a totally unconvincing Greek dude, Robert Patterson is really dope in this. Loved the way this film felt like a successive series of mini-adventures for his character.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Spartan wrote:Good Time (2017)
It's an ugly, grimy NY movie and definitely not for everyone, but I found this really funny and very entertaining. Kind of how I imagine what a Troma movie would be like if it went the Oscar bait route. Even though he's a totally unconvincing Greek dude, Robert Patterson is really dope in this. Loved the way this film felt like a successive series of mini-adventures for his character.
How amazing is Necro, though?

:bow:

Great film.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Florida Project - incredible impressionistic slowburn drama. Broader, more polished and more approachable to the average viewer than Tangerine, but still has that film's 'in the moment' urgency and immersive approach to its setting and characters. This and Good Time are probably my 2 favorite serious movies for 2017.

Lady Bird - solid teen coming of age dramedy but didn't doesn't do much beyond that imo.

Unknown (2011) - catching up on Neeson's previous collaborations with Collet-Serra since The Commuter is getting good reviews focused around their history of churning out solid product together. This was a good time, I guessed the twist 15 mins in and it could've use a bit more of the 'special set of skills' side of Neeson, but it's a very watchable Neo-Hitchcock-ian thriller overall.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

anybody ever see blow out? worth a peep? brian de palma film from 81...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yea it's good

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Y@k Bollox wrote:
Spartan wrote:Good Time (2017)
How amazing is Necro, though?

:bow:

Great film.
Was impressed by both his acting prowess and his expanding waistline.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

gusty wingers wrote:anybody ever see blow out? worth a peep? brian de palma film from 81...
Super cool and weird movie. There is a decent De Palma doc on Amazon Prime right now FYI.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The De Palma doc is really great.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Anyone see “mom and dad” ?

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

Miike’s Blade of The Immortal is on Netflix. I thought it was dope.

Im curious about Yakuza Apocalypse, anyone seen it?

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Fair assessment. It may be his least fantastical tale to an extent. I loved it from the jump but I've seemed to appreciate it more as I think about it over time and how well all the pieces fit together. I think it needed another ten minutes of story to develop the relationship between the creature and Elisa and the second half is definitely a lot stronger. Legit think Sally Hawkins should win the oscar in a role where she doesn't speak. Guillermo says he casts people by their eyes and you can really see that in this; her expressions got my eyes welling up a bit a couple times. Richard Jenkins and Michael Shannon both flex really hard AF in this too. Ending reminded me a lot of the ending of Pans Labyrinth.
Michael Shannon is the best actor in the history of earth.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Radio Raheem wrote:Miike’s Blade of The Immortal is on Netflix. I thought it was dope.

Im curious about Yakuza Apocalypse, anyone seen it?
Am I missing something? Why don’t I see blade of the immortal on Netflix???

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

I thought so but I may have streamed it elsewhere, it was a week ago

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Radio Raheem wrote:I thought so but I may have streamed it elsewhere, it was a week ago
What’s up, Raheem!?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Pretty awesome piece of early exploitation about Vincent Price going undercover in Chinatown to rescue kidnapped women being sold as slaves. Racist as hell of course, and pretty cheap and occasionally nonsensical too, but the phantasmagorical staging really makes it. Crazy overloaded use of noirish shadows, Chinatown envisioned as a convoluted labyrinth connected by secret passages, an incredible half-silent sequence where Price is high and has to escape attackers across rooftops, etc. I'm curious if it had any influence on Big Trouble In Little China, there are some interesting similarities between the two.

Godzilla: Planet OF Monsters - some really great animation in this and I like the space opera angle, but it's pretty so-so overall. The story implies some interesting possibilities in the beginning but never follows up on them. The end sest up for an interesting sequel with more payoff but the way they do it makes most of the movie you just watched feel kinda pointless. Shame, I was really looking forward to it.

alpha

Post by alpha »

the godzilla thing is supposed to be a trilogy. It was pretty shitty overall. hopefully the next is better.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

it's fucking bizarre that they tease
Mechagodzilla
almost immediately as the obvious climax of this movie then pull back like NOPE THAT'S PROBABLY GONNA BE THE NEXT ONE

also, the dragons and the running things were cool but I was hoping the planet of monsters would involve some of the kaiju shown in the opening montage or something like that

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Act of Vengeance (2017)
Love vigilante movies, but this was pretty dire. Only positive I can say about Antonio Banderas in this was how much I liked his jacket. Ridiculous movie.

It (2017)
Trailers for this were surprisingly promising and the film lived up to its potential. Bathroom scene alone was on some vintage Wes Craven shit, which was really dope. Glad the new guy didn't try and replicate Tim Curry's iconic performance from the mini-series. Definitely one of my faves from last year. Looking forward to chapter two.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Sideways (2004) - It's painful to sit through these guys working out their midlife crisis but the dialogue, acting and the few jokes make it somewhat tolerable. The whiney guy is just infuriating to watch. Films like this reminds me that it's almost always best to steer clear of films with no guns, knives or bombs. This is the archetypal "good film" for boring and basic people with really bad taste in movies and pretensions of the contrary.

Toni Erdmann (2016) - Dull and fascinating at the same time. Some absolutely cracking scenes of surreal comedy are on display as well topshelf acting. In some ways, however, this is the kind of film that's more fun to think about and remember than actually watching. Not for everyone but also very difficult to forget.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Candyman - Haven't seen this in so long it might as well be my first time watching it. Absolutely incredible, deserves even more cult status than it already has. Glad I got to see in on the big screen, there's some really cool camera work in this that was apparently pretty groundbreaking for the time.