The Post A Track Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Hasenfefer

The Post A Track Thread

Post by Hasenfefer »

ok, the purpose of this thread will be to expose our fellow posters to new music...and when i say new, i don't mean just released...more like bands/artists that aren't very popular but you enjoy...or even obscure tracks from well known artists.

the one rule i'd like everyone to try to follow is to leave feedback about a previously posted track before posting one of your own. i'll kick it off...

artist: do make say think
genre: instrumental rock
track: horns of a rabbit

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1T82 ... 1P5AGE84H4

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

dope! I love this kind of instrumental rock. It reminds me of bands like Maserati and the Mercury Program. I love how this track progresses, and the strings that come in towards the end really pull the track together. Do they have an album out that's worth picking up?

Here's my submission:

artist: Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
genre: jazz/bluegrass
track: Lochs Of Dread (the live version)
album: Live Art
year: 1996

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05QE ... RTX453L0NY

The_Kernel

Post by The_Kernel »

The Flecktones track was cool. I liked how they interwove that one central groove throughout the track doing different takes on it. Sounded like they had tons of different instruments, but it might just sound like it to me since they used different genres too.

Artist: Richard Hell and The Voidoids
Genre: Pre-Punk maybe?
Track: Walking on the Water
Album: Time

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2EM4 ... 3WSMUW6904

Steezel Weezel

Post by Steezel Weezel »

the tracks have been all right, guess i dug the "do make say think" the most...

negativland
"bite back"
style: sound collage, experimental, anti-pepsi
conflict
"the guilt and the glory"
style: early 80s british punk, anti-everything
the lassie foundation
"kisses as bounties"
style: sunshine/psychedelic pop + shoegaze
albert ayler
"spirits"
style: haunted/haunting free jazz
phil ranelin
"time is running out (extended version)"
style: free funk
skeletons
"this is my dreams come true"
style: fake pop music, or something
buffy sainte-marie
"god is alive, magic is afoot"
style: folk music with mindfuck vocals
the slits
"spend, spend, spend"
style: punk, heavy reggae influence
james chance & the contortions
"contort yourself"
style: free funk, usually gets tagged with the essentially meaningless "no-wave" label
bark psychosis
"big shot"
style: i think this is the first band ever described as "post-rock"; moody, ambient sound
blonde redhead
"oh james"
styles: noisy, noisy rock
i'm done.
Last edited by Steezel Weezel on Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

The Red Scare wrote:Do they have an album out that's worth picking up?
they have a few actually, i'll post one here over the weekend.

bela fleck...pretty cool, nice instrumentation towards the middle. went over nice with my bowl.

richard hell...ehhh, not really feeling this that much. just not my thing.

negativland...ha, this is dope. i love collage type tracks like this.

conflict...ahhhhh, the good ol' 80s. i giggle everytime i hear an english person say cattle.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

negativland- hell yeah man, this is really cool!! I love shit like this

conflict- not my type of music at all...can't get into it. nice political message though

the lassie foundation- again, not really my thing. the melody doesn't do much for me and I kept waiting for drums to drop...i guess ive been listening to too much hip hop

---
Song- Le Constat
Artist- Darkman - K-Rime
Genre- Algerian Hip Hop (in French)

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0YGJ ... TXSXWB45GN

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

Steezel Weezel wrote:artist: albert ayler
track: spirits
i didnt like this track. kinda boring really.

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3PSF ... 13NLIX6CJK

filthy rich - generic summer track
british hiphop.

From the land of the UNBANNED

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Good thread idea
and cats have been killin' it thus far.

Richard Hell, James Chance and Negativland are dope, but i already know that
Conflict are decent
good looks on that Bark Psychosis song
been wanting to hear these guys for a minute
sounds very Talk Talk.

I'll get back to some of the other songs and post a couple of songs up myself a little later
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

FoJaR wrote:
Steezel Weezel wrote:artist: albert ayler
track: spirits
i didnt like this track. kinda boring really.

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3PSF ... 13NLIX6CJK

filthy rich - generic summer track
british hiphop.
this was a nice chill track, feeling the laid back beat.

The flow was pretty cool, and the accent really didn't throw me off that bad, this is actually the first international hiphop song that Ive ever heard other then that joint w/ Red and Meth

Here is one for you guys, Im not expecting anyone to really enjoy this but this is my fav band at the moment, I guess you could consider then anything you want really

Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Song: Bat Country
Genre: Alternative/Kick Ass Rock Music

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=26HW ... 3ITHJPP8X7

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I've just listened to the first song in the thread and it's decent
if the Beasties had ever signed a post-rock band to Grand Royal this is what they would've sounded like, i imagine.

I saw Blonde Redhead live years ago supporting The Make Up and the fam and i all agreed they were influenced by Sonic Youth or Unwound
this, the first studio track i've ever heard by them, confirms that
decent again.

Alright, here's 2 songs by The Sonics
a mid 60's bombastic garage-rock & roll proto-punk band from Seattle
heavily influenced by Little Richard and Link Wray and a band that would later influence everyone from The Stooges right up to Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

The Sonics-he's waitin'.
The Sonics-cinderella.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

The A7X shit was pretty cool. I've heard some of their stuff before and liked it. Aren't they usually more metal? This was on a more uptempo Alice In Chains tip.

Here's a track from my latest find, Early Man. It's the first cut off their album Closing In that will be out on Matador in October.

Just two dudes- guitar, drums and vox. Apparently they grew up all religious in Ohio, discovered metal and moved to NY to rock.

Shit sounds like early Metallica/vintage Sabbath, but has a cool, lo-fi immediacy to it that you rarely find in metal.
I'm torn between posting up the whole album so more people can hear how dope these guys are and not wanting to start sabotaging a cool band two months before their first album comes out. We'll see.

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:The A7X shit was pretty cool. I've heard some of their stuff before and liked it. Aren't they usually more metal? This was on a more uptempo Alice In Chains tip.

Here's a track from my latest find, Early Man. It's the first cut off their album Closing In that will be out on Matador in October.

Just two dudes- guitar, drums and vox. Apparently they grew up all religious in Ohio, discovered metal and moved to NY to rock.

Shit sounds like early Metallica/vintage Sabbath, but has a cool, lo-fi immediacy to it that you rarely find in metal.
I'm torn between posting up the whole album so more people can hear how dope these guys are and not wanting to start sabotaging a cool band two months before their first album comes out. We'll see.
Actually their first two albums were more metal, alot of their die hard fans are hating on the latest effort because it has alot more singing, they are heavily compared to GNR with the new album but I like it alot

Im gonna go listen to the track you just posted and come back

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:The A7X shit was pretty cool. I've heard some of their stuff before and liked it. Aren't they usually more metal? This was on a more uptempo Alice In Chains tip.

wow man this shit rocks, amazing its only two people as well but I like this, the vocals are different too which is cool. I hear you about posting the album its like you want to help out

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

avenged sevenfold....haha, nice track to listen to 5 minutes after i woke up. this is pretty cool, they remind me of someone but i can't think of who.

filthy rich...beats pretty chill. i'm usually not a big fan of british emcees, i just can't get past the accent, but this guys isn't that bad at all. cool track.

the sonics - hes waiting...i've actually sampled the sonics before, so i'm familiar with some of their music. raw, grimey, makes me want to elbow someone in the temple.
Apparently they grew up all religious in Ohio, discovered metal and moved to NY to rock.
hah, awesome. checking now, they can rock! the singer reminds me of a more gritty and almost punkish getty lee.

here's a little something from the other half, a semi-obscure san fran garage-punk band from the 60s.

the other half - mr. pharmacist

Code: Select all

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=03XB526MX27NK23T3LA7ALB9TX
here's a track from the monks, another 60s band made up of US GIs serving in germany who used to jam together.

the monks - i hate you

Code: Select all

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2F3988MAWASFH1HHJJVS8AAJQ9

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

I like that horns of a rabbit track, laid back and relaxing. I'd love to make a whole cd of instrumental tracks similar to that one, sit back and chill to it.

The sonics - he's waitin' I really enjoyed, I'd love to hear more stuff like this.

I didn't like the Avenged Sevenfold track. Sounded uninspired and kind of generic to me. Lead singer has a good voice, though.

Artist: The Gun Club
Album: Fire of Love
Genre: I dunno, bluegrassy-rock maybe?
Track: Ghost on the Highway

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Quite a big fan of Smog. Here's the standout from his latest LP "A River Aint Too Much To Love" and its called "The Well"

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Those Sonics tracks are great. All the UK heads should know that track of theirs, 'Have Love Will Travel' - as its being used on a TV ad, but i've just forgotten which one...

MT - could you reup your link? You've piqued my interest...

Heres mine...

Comanechi - Rude
I think this band are going to become quite popular...

http://www.comanechi.com/

Saw them a few weeks ago at a festival a friends girlfriend puts on. And they were very good.
Just a two piece - another one where the drummer sings, as pioneered first, I beleive, by Dwane Wayne.
Anyway - i reckon they're going to do well. The drumming/singing girl is hot, too.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I may get slated for this but I can't stop playing it for some weird reason.
The Tornados - Telstar (1962). My ma used to love this record.

Masked Terror #1

Y@k Bollocks wrote:MT - could you reup your link? You've piqued my interest...
Just tried the existing one. Was still working for me.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote:MT - could you reup your link? You've piqued my interest...
Just tried the existing one. Was still working for me.
Yeah, so it is. Sorry - i was being stupid.

This is dope.

Masked Terror #1

Y@k Bollocks wrote:This is dope.
Yeah, these guys are pretty much my favorite new discovery. Been listening to them a lot lately. I'm sure I'll post the album up at some point in the future.

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

a little history: if any of you post on the non prophets forum, you might remember filthy rich as the british kid who flooded the place with MSpaint pictures of sage francis as a masturbating troll.

we're talking around 200 posts by him, and another few hundred by his cohorts before sage banned him and was able to clean up.

From the land of the UNBANNED

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

A little commercial this but how about the new single from Franz Ferdinand?

"Do You Want To?"
Feel free to banish me for my commercialness.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

I'm new to this thread and don't know what to try, so I think I'll just sift through and cherry pick.

Has, that Do Make Say Think track is nice, especially the second movement. Reminds me of Mogwai and Explosions In The Sky but faster paced (which is a good thing to me). They have any albums out? Will have to look.

Couldn't get into that Bella Fleck song. It's pretty cool - I just may not be in the mood for that style right now.

That Skeletons song made me smile. The whole "gaassss maaasssk" refrain was awesome.

Now for my song: this is slightly old, but still awesome. Just heard this album for the first time the other day because I'm always fiending for instrumentals and am a bit behind.

Artist: Caribou
Song: "Pelican Narrows"
Album: The Milk of Human Kindness
Style: Kids call it folktronica, I think of it as electronic music with hip-hop leanings

TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs
Location: "..I feel like a little white girl. I feel fat" - Bun B

Post by TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs »

i've actually sampled the sonics before, so i'm familiar with some of their music
Post that shit.

The "mr pharmacist" song is absolutely ill.

The song M.T # 1 posted is pretty cool
i see what you mean with the more lo-fi approach.

Gun Club song is, obviously, classic.

I'll check the Yak B song a little later.

Here's two excellent less-known songs by two pretty well known groups..

Love-7 and 7 is. (1967; from "da capo")
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band-hot head. (1980; from "doc at the radar station")

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs wrote:
i've actually sampled the sonics before, so i'm familiar with some of their music
Post that shit.

The "mr pharmacist" song is absolutely ill.

The song M.T # 1 posted is pretty cool
i see what you mean with the more lo-fi approach.

Gun Club song is, obviously, classic.

I'll check the Yak B song a little later.

Here's two excellent less-known songs by two pretty well known groups..

Love-7 and 7 is. (1967; from "da capo")
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band-hot head. (1980; from "doc at the radar station")
Dumbest alias ever.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

lameaim...do make say think has like 4 albums out, i have 2 of them. their sound really ranges from harder uptempo shit like that joint i posted to more experimental loose type shit.

that caribou track you posted was pretty dope...i don't know how anyone could call it 'folktronica' though, sound pretty hip-hop to me.

i'll look for that sonics track i made.

this 7 and 7 track is cool...i'm a sucker for that snare roll drum pattern. oh man, that change up was unexpected but dope at the end.

hot head...i know i have a capt beefheart record laying around somewhere...for some reason, this reminds me of the talking heads. maybe i'm tripping. it was ok.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Hasenfefer wrote:lameaim...do make say think has like 4 albums out, i have 2 of them. their sound really ranges from harder uptempo shit like that joint i posted to more experimental loose type shit.

that caribou track you posted was pretty dope...i don't know how anyone could call it 'folktronica' though, sound pretty hip-hop to me.
I don't really see how the name could apply either, it all just electonic music (a lot of which sounds like hiphop) to me... but I'm definitely feeling the fuck out of that last album.

Will have to look for the Do Make Say Think albums later on this week. Thanks for the heads up.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

nICE THREAD, i WILL ADD TO THIS

Lame Aim, I would suggest copping DO make's album called Goodbye Enemy Airship, I upped it in MP3X, but no one ever peeped it, very bluesy.

Has, Caribou is formerly Manitoba (Dan Snaith), check for his intial release under that moniker called Up in Flames.

I will be getting bark Psychosis' Hex in the mail soon, should I just up the whole thing? I think I have some random tracks lying around by them

TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs
Location: "..I feel like a little white girl. I feel fat" - Bun B

Post by TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs »

^ Yeah, up that shit.

We should try and make this thread huge like the mp3 thread in T.R.O.Y
some more songs :

Muddy Waters-tom cat.
Muddy Waters-i just wanna make love to you (psychedelic version).
Both of these are from the psychedelic blooz "electric mud" album that his label got him to record to try and cash in on the success of Hendrix that i've mentioned a bunch of times on here
"tom cat" was sampled by Cypress Hill on "ultraviolet dreams".