Greatest SAMURAI flicks EVER...LIST...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

darkwingduck

Greatest SAMURAI flicks EVER...LIST...?

Post by darkwingduck »

I would like to know some titles...

go!

edit: oh and Cas, don't give me that Samurai's are gay shit. You know fluckin ninjas don't get shine! :grin:

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Seven Samurai
Sanjuro
Yojimbo
Hidden Fortress
Twilight Samurai
Lone Wolf and Cub Series
Shogun Assasin
Ran
Samurai Trilogy
Zatoichi
Azumi
Last Samurai (Not the Tom Cruise one)
Rashomon
Samurai Wolf
Sword of Doom
Throne of Blood

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

This seems like a lot of work. I'll add a couple more though.

Hanzo the Razor
Samurai Banners
Sleepy Eyes of Death series
Incident at Blood Pass (little known fourth Yojimbo movie, I say little known because most people don't seem to have heard about it despite a domestic dvd release)
Abare Goemon (haven't actually seen this, but it sounds pretty awesome. Think you can buy it from superhappyfun)
Red Lion I guess
The Samurai Trilogy seems an obvious one
Harakiri
Kagemusha
(Edit) Roningai's a good recent one
(Edit) Just because I'm not sure if Random Sample is referring to the Kitano remake or the Katsu originals, definately watch a bunch of the original Zatoichis. Technically not samurai movies, but definately chambara.

You know, any criterion ones that haven't been listed yet (like the upcoming boxset of 60's swordplay classics) are great too. I don't know, there's a lot of these out there.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

StormShadow wrote: the upcoming boxset of 60's swordplay classics

:ohsh: this sounds :ohsh:

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

darkwingduck wrote:
StormShadow wrote: the upcoming boxset of 60's swordplay classics

:ohsh: this sounds :ohsh:

And in case you weren't aware, the other two criterion samurai boxsets:

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I cant wait to get that Rebel Samurai set.

And I hate the fact that the DVDs come out the bottom of the box of that Kurosawa set.
And the box is weak too. Love the art, but it's flimsy.

PiThief

Post by PiThief »

Kurosawa should own this thread.

Jorel

Post by Jorel »

definately pick up SANJURO, (which is said to be the prequel to "Yojimbo")

if you're into reading, pick up "Musashi" by Eji Yoshikawa.

There is also a 3 part Musashi trilogy starring Toshiro Mifune. But the book is of course much better.

cynosure

Post by cynosure »

Jorel wrote:definately pick up SANJURO, (which is said to be the prequel to "Yojimbo")

its a nice companion piece, i guess. but its definitely skippable. if anything is a definite pick up, its Yojimbo.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

cynosure wrote:
Jorel wrote:definately pick up SANJURO, (which is said to be the prequel to "Yojimbo")

its a nice companion piece, i guess. but its definitely skippable. if anything is a definite pick up, its Yojimbo.
And I was under the impression that it was a sequel to Yojimbo, and that there was no doubt about that.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

7 samurai

Jorel

Post by Jorel »

cynosure wrote:

:ohsh:

skippable? Hell Nahhhh.

Sanjuro >>>> Yojimbo

StormShadow wrote:
cynosure wrote:

And I was under the impression that it was a sequel to Yojimbo, and that there was no doubt about that.
sanjuro fits as a prequel since feudalism isn

four_see

Post by four_see »

Honestly, youre the first person I've heard voice the opinion that Sanjuro is better than Yojimbo.

I found the plot of Sanjuro to be a little disjointed and ultimately not as interesting.

Yojimbo on the other hand, is Mifune just using his aggressive style to completely regulate the town of gamblers. I was under the impression that Sanjuro was made after Yojimbo so I always thought it was a sequel but it could have been set before I guess.

Whats the name of the Kurosawa flick with Toshiro Mifune set in the 1930s? I think its about gangsters...I was meaning to check it out a while ago but I forgot the title

Anyways, word to Kurosawa. He's the gold standard

Jorel

Post by Jorel »

four_see wrote:Honestly, youre the first person I've heard voice the opinion that Sanjuro is better than Yojimbo.

I found the plot of Sanjuro to be a little disjointed and ultimately not as interesting.

Yojimbo on the other hand, is Mifune just using his aggressive style to completely regulate the town of gamblers. I was under the impression that Sanjuro was made after Yojimbo so I always thought it was a sequel but it could have been set before I guess.

Whats the name of the Kurosawa flick with Toshiro Mifune set in the 1930s? I think its about gangsters...I was meaning to check it out a while ago but I forgot the title

it's all opinion.

I dig the agressiveness of yojimbo just as much as anyone else. i think the contrast between sanjuro's passive/pleasent and at times comedic position, and Yojimbo's agressive/kill everyone demeanor compliment each other brilliantly.

i found sanjuro to be more charming where as, mifune's character dissenchants illusions of what's real, and what's not to his fool-hardy company which in turn builds his legendary stature. Best example of this is at the end where everyone is shockingly awaken to the true nature and fate of what lies ahead for the path of a samurai. (the dramatic tension and contrast that kurosawa captured in that moment for me was :ohsh: genius)

in Yojimbo, he played the savage roll of cleaning a town of scum. Plain and simple, If you like raw blood shed, and tactical/rambo like nature of mifune then yojimbo is the movie to see.

but yeah, i ain't trying to knock anyone's opinion, since both are extremely dope films. Though i do think sanjuro should not be "Skipped"

but yeah, in the end it's all subjective.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

StormShadow wrote:(Edit) Just because I'm not sure if Random Sample is referring to the Kitano remake or the Katsu originals, definately watch a bunch of the original Zatoichis. Technically not samurai movies, but definately chambara.
Yeah, I wasn't a real fan of the new one. had some cool shit, but it was pretty weak. I enjoy the originals more. I forgot to put that when I listed it.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

four_see wrote:Honestly, youre the first person I've heard voice the opinion that Sanjuro is better than Yojimbo.

Drunken Angel probably. Think it's post war though, not 30's.

As for Sanjuro, I vastly prefer Yojimbo. Hell, I even prefer the other movies to Sanjuro (those being Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo and Incident at Blood Pass). I really do think it's a sequel, but alas, my copy is back in California so I can't go straight to the source. The criterion website just says it's a companion piece.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

can I say...I LOVE THIS THREAD...you guys are awesome...

Just added a shit load of these to my wishlist...

what the dill with LES SAMURAI...? Looks like some ol french samurai shiizzz...?

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Le Samourai is coming out on the 25th, and it should be purchased immediately

I'm too lazy to make suggestions
All the ones made already are very good
that DVD thread really takes it out of me (yes orgasm)

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Andvil wrote:Le Samourai should be purchased immediately
And give me one good reason why I should while I sit back and eat my Freedom toast and my wife does her freedom manicure?

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

CAUSE ITS A FRENCH DUDE IN A SUIT AND A FEDORA WHO IS A BADASS

and it's directed by Jean-Pierre Melville

maybe this will help

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

oh shit...added to wish list...

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

hey stormy which Zatoichi would you recommend to a first time viewer? Should I start with 1 and go from there?

Req

Post by Req »

:sad:

if only there were some YSI links up in this bitch
F.U. MOOLAH

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

and check out : http://www.dvdplanet.com/main.asp if anybody hasn't already.

I get all my Criterions there (except box sets) for 20-25 bucks. Best place for Criterions that I've come across.

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

zatoichi vs. yojimbo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Samurai Ressurection - The old one with Sonny Chiba, not the new remakes

Shogung's Samurai aka Yaguy Conspiracy - don't know if this was mentioned anywhere in here, also with Chiba - more drama and story oriented but Chiba still slices left and right

Hatokiri aka Tenchu - staring Shintaro Katsu (Zatoichi) - it's actually a direct prequel to Miike's IZO

IZO - I like this one as a fan of Miike and surreal and violent shit in general, but it's out there and kind of hard to recoment. Look for it if you're in the mood for something beyond weird, I'm talking like Cremaster or Holy Mountain weird

Also, mad props to whoever recommended Le Samourai - without that movie there would be no John Woo period, and no Leon, Ghostdog, or most other modern 'hitman' movies.

[/quote]

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Fuk'n A wrote:hey stormy which Zatoichi would you recommend to a first time viewer? Should I start with 1 and go from there?
Oh hey, sorry man. I don't know how I missed this last week, my bad. You know, Rakesh suggested Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, and honestly that's not a bad place to start with assuming that you have seen and enjoyed at least one Yojimbo movie.

It doesn't matter what order you see them in, so that's not an issue. I don't know, it depends on what kind of viewer you are I guess. The first couple are less violent and black and white, so if you want some color and some violence go with something from the middle of the series. I've only seen like 10 of them, and I pretty much liked them all. The movies do tend to blend together however, seeing as they all have near identical plotlines. I really like them though, I just really fall under their spell for some reason.

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

Appreciate the info. I just ordered 1, 12, and Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo. Can't wait.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Fuk'n A wrote:Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo
Id like to know if this ones worth coppin.

Is Mifune in this...?

And just a general question. I heard Toshiro Mifune went on to Hollywood...? Is this true?

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

Yea, Mifune is in it.

and

=