Greatest SAMURAI flicks EVER...LIST...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Re: Greatest SAMURAI flicks EVER...LIST...?

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Animeigo having a summer sale, their Shogun Assassin, Lone Wolf & Cub, and Sleepy Eyes of Death Sets are all $29.99.
Also SA and LW&C are apparently going out of print later this year so get while you can.

http://www.animeigo.com/

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

^^^ nice work T bunz. thanks for the heads up.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

fuuuuk i need this but i'm a little too broke to splurge right now, any idea how long this shit will go on?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Unsure, but normally Animiego sales run for a long time. Wouldn't be surprised if it stays up until their stock runs out.

I only picked up the first Sleepy Eyes set but I'm really looking forward to finally watching them.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i still never got any of them cause they were expensive. 80$ per set, i was waiting for a sale like this for years now

i need to upgrade my lw&c too, my set is all old bootleg dvds

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

this was a surprisingly good one, up there with Miike's 13 Samurai remake as far as quality modern chambara

i never got into the anime, but this adaptation was much more up my alley. virtually no comic relief but there's still a slightly cartoonish feel retained to keep a pulpy tone, a good plot that echoes back some classic 70s conventions, excellent fight choreography combining japanese swordplay and judo with HK-style choreography - good times all around

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote:i still never got any of them cause they were expensive. 80$ per set, i was waiting for a sale like this for years now

i need to upgrade my lw&c too, my set is all old bootleg dvds

Just watched the first SEoD over the weekend. Pretty good, a bit underwhelmed though to be honest, probably because of watching too many Zatoichi movies.
Raizo just ain't the swordsman that Katsu is, and the ninjas here are really bad, they should have hired some Chinese for the Kung Fu segments. Plus I don't like seeing the hero fall for some hoe.
I still enjoyed it but my expectations were too high. I have a feeling the series will get better as I make my way through them. Didn't seem like they had the character completely figured out yet.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

drizzle wrote:this was a surprisingly good one, up there with Miike's 13 Samurai remake as far as quality modern chambara

i never got into the anime, but this adaptation was much more up my alley. virtually no comic relief but there's still a slightly cartoonish feel retained to keep a pulpy tone, a good plot that echoes back some classic 70s conventions, excellent fight choreography combining japanese swordplay and judo with HK-style choreography - good times all around

Peeped this on your rec. Enjoyed it, but I needed more blood. Fun flik tho

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

ok, why is this movie being sold for 4K on amazon right now? animego doesnt have it listed as one of theirs, yet it clearly looks like their release.

review are right down my alley. NEED THIS ONE!!!

anybody watch?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

we were just talking about this one in one of the sticky threads, maybe the 'let's discuss..' one. it's probably out of print, hence the cost and no aneimigo listing. both this one and its sequel are excellent, classic 70s chambara

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

finally grabbed this as i see its starting to sell out everywhere...one of drizzle's essential samurai picks.

Most anticipated dvd purchase this year will most certainly be the Criterion ZATOICHI complete set.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

You really can't go wrong with Lone Wolf and Cub. I love them all, but I have a soft spot in my heart for White Heaven in Hell. Something about ski ninjas does it for me.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Animeigo having a summer sale, their Shogun Assassin, Lone Wolf & Cub, and Sleepy Eyes of Death Sets are all $29.99.
Also SA and LW&C are apparently going out of print later this year so get while you can.

http://www.animeigo.com/
The Musashi Miyamoto & Shinobi No Mono sets are on sale now too.
Need to find some spending money.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

recently got the zatoichi set. watched 19 episdoes. holding off on 20 as its ZATOCICHI vs YOJIMBO. I wanted to brush up on my Yojimbo so I watched Yojimbo/Sanjiro. Realized that I never actually watched SANJIRO...holy shit.

Will watch episode 20 then follow that up with INCIDENT AT BLOOD PASS (the last mifune yojimbo movie).

After I finish the zatoichi series, I think im gonna finally watch all the Lone Wolf flics.

Im in full blown Samurai movie mode right now.

Been drinking sake and eating rice balls and Oden while watching...

ITS A LIFE STYLE MAN!

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Zatoichi Vs Yojimbo and Incident at Blood Pass are fucking great.
I finished watching all the Ichi movies last year. Its amazing how consistently awesome they are.
I'm starting to work my way through the TV series now. Wish someone like Criterion would reissue them on blu-ray.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

2 years later I'm still working through the Zatoichi box, just slow dripping it. Blew through the Lone Wolf in 2 days though, and felt like an idiot, felt like finally getting to fuck the girl you wanted for years and nutting in seconds.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I'm starting to work my way through the TV series now. Wish someone like Criterion would reissue them on blu-ray.
so the criterion set is the movie collection? I thought thos were the tv series...?

you mean to tell me theres more zatoichi? with Katsu?

TBH tho, im more of a fan of zatoichi then I am of Yojimbo character.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Criterion put out the original run of 25 movies. There's a 26th movie from 1989 thats not part of the set.
There are about 100 Zatoichi television episodes. They're about an hour long each and Katsu is in them. Tokyo Shock released a bunch of sets on dvd way back