Matisyahu ???

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

CRASH DDZ

Matisyahu ???

Post by CRASH DDZ »

dude is like the jewish version of reggae..

he basicly sings/raps/beat boxes in hip hop to jamaican styles.. but with a herbrew twist instead of his music being about jah it's about judism... or hasidic raggae...

he's gonna be in town (lou ky) tomorrow..

thinking abot going.. any oppinions on this dude or his shows ?

i' ballin' on a budget and blackalicious and zion are in cinci next sunday.. so i'm thinking one show or the other...

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

This guy is basically about to be jocked similarly to Eminem when he first came out, and I've heard live is the only way to go with his music.

Zion puts on a great show, and I've never heard Blackalicious live, but I'd imagine The Gift Of Gab can rock a crowd fairly well... so, it looks like you have a tough choice.

I'd choose Matisyahu, just because pretty soon you won't be able to go see him without having to deal with an enormous crowd and a hefty ticket price.

Zion will stay underground forever, and the same with Blackalicious.

Fuck it, go see both. I understand that you're broke, but come on, sell a few cds or something. You don't have to buy out the bar, just enjoy some music.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

yeah.. that's the ticket..

i may end up seeing both.. blackalicious will be in lexington sat.. but i can get in free to the cinci show..

so depending on dough come the 13th i'll be seeing blackalicious in cinci if at all possible.. i'm just trying to figure out if $ 30 for me and my boo is gonna be worth the maty/john show.. IF it doesn't sell out on me first anyways.. ( plus it's at another venue i slide into free alot... )

big fan of pigeon sings the blues c.d. and a couple other joints here and there...his track with Opio on op's solo is one of my faves off that too...... and i've heard the maty live c.d. so i'm imagining it's gonna be so much like the disc it ain't gonna matter if i miss it.. so it really comes down to i'm paying to see john...

El Keter

Re: Matisyahu ???

Post by El Keter »

CRASH DDZ wrote:instead of his music being about jah it's about judism...
Jah = The God of the Hebrew Bible and Judaism, hence HEBREW prophets in the Bible with names like EliJAH.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Matisyahu is MAD fucking dope. I made a thread about him in Curb about a month ago dude is awesome especially live. The album you list is absolutely brilliant from start to finish. He is a decent rapper but has the voice of an angel :arrow: and on the album he only raps for one song so its not a big thing he does. THe dude is amazing and I would say you should see him before that studio album blows him up big...

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

ugh...this is the last thing hip hop needed :naswtf:

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

If you want good white reggae you should listen to Gentleman instead. Dont believe the hype on this fucker.

PEACE

Kilgore786

Post by Kilgore786 »

^^^crackas are trippin and need to stop walkin on banana peels ith their laces untied.

his album is a banger front to back...

tell that motherfucker that some angry Muslim kid up the road from Colombine bumps his tracks on weekly basis (I listen to this album every Sunday when I'm making breakfast for my son).

He does a good job of sounding traditional without sounding boring or cliche and while his music celebrates his devotion to God it doesn't come off preachy.

not alot of people can pull this off, he does.

let the haters hate,this album is good.

Ipl

Post by Ipl »

yousendit?

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Not that this should make a difference, but I heard this guy did not grow up Jewish and converted later in life.

Part of what made this so amazing, to me, was him coming from such an insular society as hasidism and then becoming a dope reggae artist... but if he was just a regular white/jewish kid who was already into reggae it takes a little away from it.

Note: I don't really judge him solely on the merits of his music alone, cause I really don't like reggae.

Post by Guest »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:Not that this should make a difference, but I heard this guy did not grow up Jewish and converted later in life.

Part of what made this so amazing, to me, was him coming from such an insular society as hasidism and then becoming a dope reggae artist... but if he was just a regular white/jewish kid who was already into reggae it takes a little away from it.
the liner notes of that cd (which i read because my mom bought it) do say he did not grow up hasidic, but i think he did grow up jewish, if i remember right.

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

Ipl wrote:yousendit?

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

yt is at rhythm factory fri 18th for uk heads who wanna check some bluefoot reggae

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

I've seen Blackalicious live, and while they were great I wasn't blown away or anything. I would see Matisyahu if I were you. Check out a video of him live....

http://www.hasidicreggae.com/index.php? ... id=0&id=31

seems pretty dope.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

well i've been told my tickets and trip to Blackalicious are in the bag.. so imma prolly pay to see this one...

mainly to see pigeon john but i'm sure this Matisyahu guy will be good live too..

the beatbox segments off the live at stubb's c.d. were cool.. but not mind blowing either plus i'm sure the crowd is gonna be fulla art fags that like clean hobo said will tout this guy as the best thing to hit hip hop since the sp-1200... if they knew what an sp-1200 even is...

thanks for the discussion folks.. i'll tell you if it was dope or not..
( i'm pretty sure it'll be a great show...)

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

HERES A RE-POST OF MY RE-CAP FROM MY HOME BOARD IN LOUISVILLE...

Somebody pat Billy (promoter of the show) on the back.. he had headliners packed shoulder to shoulder with this show.. it was like that for the opening act even

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I'm getting this the fuck out of the hip hop forum.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

would it have mattered if i titled it pigeon john ?

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

No, because it would still be a thread about a non-hip hop artist who is embraced by Phish-loving hippies across the world.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

PIGEON JOHN ISN'T HIP HOP ?

my bad.. he had a dj.. he rapped.

boy do i feel dumb.