Kinji Fukasaku appreciation thread-Sympathy for the Underdog

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Kinji Fukasaku appreciation thread-Sympathy for the Underdog

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Anyone see this movie/DVD?

Kinji Fukasaku (who recently passed away in the middle of Battle Royal 2 sadly)'s first Yakuza movie from 1971 before he went on to do a series of them with "The Yakuza Papers" series in the 70's.

It's a real cool Gangster movie in that it takes all the stylistic stuff Godard did in the 60's and puts it back into a genre film. IE: shaky camera, jazz music, freeze frames, intertitles etc plus plenty of Yakuza violence and nicely edited fights. I picked it up on a whim and while there's nothing extraordinary about the story it's really well shot/made and definitely worth seeing at least once.
Last edited by Funk Docta Bombay on Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I bought it to watch when I went to college, but then I forgot and left it in California because I'm an idiot.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I have this. Fukusaku is one of the most consistent directors ever to me, I own a ton of his shit (including this one) and every single one is above average at least.

If you like Sympathy for the Underdog and Yakuza papers check out his other Yakuza movies with Bunta Sagawa (sp?).

He did a lot of other shit, pretty much in every genre. Probably deserves his own thread.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

drizzle wrote:Probably deserves his own thread.
Pretty sure he's gotten one before, but go ahead and do what needs to done if you feel like it.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

^went ahead and changed the thread title to make it all inclusive.

I haven't seen any of his other films (other than this and Battle Royale). I'm gonna check to see if I can cop the Yakuza Papers ASAP

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Everybody need to see this, it's possibly his best movie.

Amazing.

Dope.

I'll let somebody else do the Yakuza Papers, and his other movies which are available in the US.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Here's a few that are easy to find, before I go meet my man for perishable combustibles. These are some of his collabs with Sonny Chiba, who was his main actor to use along with Bunta Sagawa. I'm gonna comment on them a bit tomorrow if nobody beats me to it.

Yaguy Conspiracy - Chiba is Jubei Yaguy but he's just a part of a large cast of great actors. The story has a lot of historical basis, centering on the successesion within the Shogunate. A great mix of political intrigue, character drama and ninja/samurai action, plus you find out how Jubei lost his eye. The production values are impecable. The story is well written, there is several plot threads that play out and intersect to tie up to a satisfying and believable ending. This movie actually started a tv series centered around Yaguy family history.
This is probably my fave Fukusaku, I love how all the elements come together so well in this.

Samurai Reincarnation - don't even bother with this unless you have the restored, remastered, full version with japanese dub and english subs - pretty much the specific dvd I posted is the only way to go for an American release. All other versions are terrible quality and are missing most of the middle of the movie.
This is much more action oriented than Yaguy conspiracy. The serious historical drama is not here, it's replaced with a supernatural revenge angle and plenty of awesome swordfights.
The money shot is the end - the fight between Sonny Chiba reprising the role of Jubei and Tomabisuro Wakayama as his father. Wakayama is best known for being Ogammi Itto in Shogun Assasin and the Lone wolf and cub series. He was the brother of Shintaro Katsu, the original Zatoichi, and appears in a few Zatoichi titles as well as the Wicked Priest series. He's a big guy, but moves incredibly, I think he was a judo champ before getting in the movies. The speed with which he draws his sword must me seen to be believed.
This is highly recommended for fans of chambara, the action oriented side of samarai cinema. If you liked ninja scroll this would be up your alley also.

Last edited by drizzle on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I doubt I'll ever get around to watching all his movies, but I will say, if someone had to see just one of his movies, I'd suggest Graveyard of Honor.
Love Battle Royale. Fall Guy is very good too.
and Cops vs. Thugs is good.
Yakuza Papers are fucking great.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Hmm, Triple Cross looks dope.

And I either forgot or didn't know that he directed Doberman Deka.