Euro-crime thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote:Better snap up those Blue Underground releases soon. Company is ceasing to exist within a year's time.
yup, luckily according to da gawd Lustig anchor bay has some kinda claim on BU materials. BU was an excellent company, but they shot themselves in the foot i think by huge gaps in releasing. No Shame (rip eurocrime) is folded under as well I think, or about to. Possibly same for Panick House (rip naked chicks swordfighting in slow motion).

All these boutique dvd places were noble causes but fucked from teh start - the demographic to support them is just not there, especially now that the dvd market is becoming oversaturated. Older fans are waaaay too picky, and are liable to reject a dvd or even a whole company based on the slightest technical imperfections. The younger fanbase for cult cinema is unfortunately small and barely growing, if at all. Most of these places don't have the budget to distribute or promote their stuff properly either, which obviously doesn't help in attracting new attention. Shame really.

BTW, the shit above is the reason why i'm likely to buy something like SS Girls, but often rent/rip things like Bicycle Thief
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

bringing this back for a little euro-war action

Maghretti is a solid second-string Italian cult director, dabbling in all sorts of stuff but mostly known for the gorefest Cannibal Apocalypse and a string of surprisingly good 80's lowbudget commando/mercenary flicks. Here he comes up with an entertaining Vietnam action fest.

Like a lot of good exploitation, the premise for this one is ripped off wholy from better more famous movies, in this case Apocalypse Now and Deer Hunter. The fun starts with a burned out Willard-like army captain relaxing in a brothel, when a close friend decides to blow his own brains out for reasons that are explained later on. Soon after the Captain is sent into the VC territory on a vague mission to destroy a radio tower transmitting anti-american propaganda on a US Army wave-length. On his jungle adventure he meets up with a friendly GI Bro, mows down hundreds of charlies with nothing but a 45 and runs into an outpost of crazed americans lost behind enemy lines. All this climaxes with a grim (albeit nonsensical) surprise ending, which I totally called way ahead but didn't mind at all.

The main draw here is the action, which is plentiful and exteremely well staged, and some nice suitably gross gore. Cult staple David Warbeck plays the Captain as a likable gruff badass, and does a pretty good job with it (Warbeck actually ALMOST had a legitimate career, he played Sean's friend in the flashbacks in Duck You Sucker and was allegedly in contention to be the 3rd Bond). Marghretti succeeds in creating some nice scenes of tension and 'nam craziness, so even the quieter parts don't drag too much.

The only problem I had with it really was a lack of the main villain, there needed to be somebody to focus your hate on while you're rooting for Warbeck.

Overall, not too shabby and much better than your run of the mill Apocalypse Now ripoff from teh same time period. Nothing to run immediately to the store for unless you're euro crazy like myself, but if you see it for cheap or for rental somewhere it's well worth checking out.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

So I was in Best Buy looking for those 4-5 buck specials and I came upon that Grindhouse Experience box set that has 20 Grindhouse movies for $24. I saw one title and knew I had to have it.

That title was "Violent Professionals".

I'd heard you cats rave about the film, and I'd been trying to find it on dvd forever so I was pretty pleased. Watched it tonight. Terrible transfer. The sound is awful, terrible dubbing, the picture even flickers in spots. LOVED IT. A lot of badassery to be found starting with that massacre on the train and who doesn't like it when children get killed? A decent plot considering, tons of car chases, beatings, and shootouts = the goodness. Great film, glad I finally found it. I'd be interested in owning a copy on its own that has the sound and alla that cleaned up. Does it exist?

This pack also has "Frank and Tony", "Confessions of a Police Captain", "Raw Force" and a bunch of other kungfu/blaxploitation/horror movies.

A complete success as far as I'm concerned.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

jam you can a better (not difinitive but the best out currently) version of violent professionals on amazon for like $10, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Violent-Professio ... 083&sr=8-1

if you liked it, def check out the rest of the stuff in the thread

I've been looking at that set for a while now, i supposed i'll just end up getting it. the only reason i haven't so far is I know the quality is gonna be crap, but for that cheap i suppose i shouldn't complain

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I feel silly complaining about the low quality on a grindhouse collection, but dang it that's how I feel

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

What the heck, speaking of wildeast, might as well mention these here too

Coming soon

double dose of kinski war movies

awesome

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

stormy that last one is what you've been waiting for pretty much since i started posting here

Kinski and Harrison in the same movie, holy shit that's fantastic. Too bad it's not a godfrey ho ninja movie, how amazing would that be.

interesting that they're putting out peplum now too, wonder what happened to their polizei line

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Enzo G. Castellari is the GOAT!!!!

holy shit. just watched THE BIG RACKET. Between that and STREET LAW, im offically looking out for all his movies.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

glad this thread came back, I totally forgot about those wildeasts! Going to have to make an order

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

BACK UP IN THAT ASS WITH THE RESURRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so glad to bring this thread back, especially with good reason, love this shit

anyway, this was supposed to come out like 2 years ago, then it was cancelled, and now it should be on the shelves Jan 29th.

Don't have a copy yet, but here's a review for the DVD. Long read, so I highlighted the important parts:

RICCO THE MEAN MACHINE (1973)
Director: Tulio Demicheli
Dark Sky Films/MPI

The second son of legendary Hollywood tough guy Robert Mitchum, Christopher Mitchum launched his acting career in the 1960s, appearing in several John Wayne westerns and no-budget efforts like BIGFOOT (1970). Traveling to Europe to star in THE SUMMERTIME KILLER, a violent revenge flick, proved to be a great career move, and Mitchum landed consistent work in largely Spanish-produced exploitation programmers. His 1973 vehicle, RICCO (aka MEAN MACHINE) is actually a Spanish/Italian co-production mimicking the formula of recent U.S. action/crime flicks, namely DIRTY HARRY and THE GODFATHER.

Tall, blonde and youthful Ricco (Chris Mitchum) is released from prison after two years, only to learn that his father has been murdered by mob boss Don Vito (Arthur Kennedy). If that wasnג€™t bad enough, the Don has also coveted Riccoג€™s beautiful girlfriend Rosa (Malisa Longo), so naturally, he goes on a quest to find her whereabouts, punching out and karate chopping a number of thugs in the process. Ricco also befriends the red-haired lovely, Scilla (Barbara Bouchet), the niece of a counterfeiter. When Ricco and Scilla heist a bag of money belonging to the Don, itג€™s all-out revenge time by the head of the mafia and Ricco lashes back as a one-man mean machine.

A prime example of the Euro crime thriller, RICCO is also dissimilar then some of the others of its type, perhaps far less classy yet far for more sleazy.First off, it doesnג€™t spend time with police involvement, but rather just the interactions between killers, small time hoods and other assorted delinquents and the gorgeous dames that follow them around. Although the plot appears pedestrian as a whole and some scenes seem to drag on too long, RICCO is something of a Euro trash classic, a big bowl of grindhouse gumbo with all the succulent ingredients tossed in. Itג€™s a piece of cinema that would coax Quentin Tarentino to corner someone at a party and defend its merits for an hour or so, and it probably influenced his own filmic visions at one point or another.

At the forefront is the gratuitous nature of the film, which comes in the form of scattered but plentiful scenes of ultra violence. During the opening, a character is shot point blank in the forehead, resulting in a gaping fracture which runs down to his gushing eyeball. A number of shootouts, head beatings and clumsy karate are in a cruelty catalogue topped off by some poor guy having his genitals sliced off and shoved in his mouth, after which he is thrown into a tank of acid and presumably turned into soap (this outrageous and infamous scene is completely intact in this uncut presentation).

Barbara Bouchet and Malisa Longo, both Euro starlets with numerous and more than impressive credits, make for the sweetest eye candy any film good ask for, and both display a fair amount of nudity. Proving that the film never takes itself too seriously, Bouchet is introduced walking down the busy Rome streets in tight bright pants and an open blouse, and the close-ups on these luscious areas proves it. Bouchetג€™s best scene though is when she strips down to a pair of panties on a dark, foggy road, exotically dancing on the hood of a car to distract the enemy.

The fair and very thin Mitchum sometimes looks awkward and disinterested at times, but somehow he is acceptable as Ricco, though hardly the ג€œmean machineג€ that the advertising art made him out to be. If you thought Arthur Kennedy played a prick in LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE, wait until you seem him here as the coldblooded Don Vito! Kennedyג€™s grey locks are dyed dark brown, and if that wasnג€™t enough to raise the camp level, his thick Irish accent is augmented with an unconvincing Italian inflection! RICCO also features a number of familiar character actors thrown into the mix, including Victor Israel (HORROR EXPRESS), Eduardo Fajardo (LISA AND THE DEVIL), Luis Induni (seen in a number of Paul Naschy Spanish horrors) and Antonio Mayans (aka Robert Foster), soon to be a lead actor for director Jess Franco. Itג€™s worth mentioning that when Film Ventures re-released the film in the U.S. in 1979, the advertising featured a woman caked in fumes, with her face half toasted and a skull hand reaching up to her breast! This was a desperate attempt to pass it off as a horror film.

Dark Skyג€™s DVD of RICCO THE MEAN MACHINE looks quite good, in a 1.78:1 widescreen anamorphic transfer. Colors look bright, and the overall picture is sharp with only a few minor soft spots. There is very little in terms of grain or print blemishes. The English mono sound is also adequate, with Nando De Lucaג€™s lively score and the dialog playing through clearly. Optional English subtitles are also included.

The featurette ג€œMitchum the Mean Machineג€ is an excellent, enthusiastic 18-minute interview with Christopher Mitchum. The very likable Mitchum talks about his initial reluctance to enter the acting field, his first uneventful "extra" gig as dead guy, and that he made $500 a week starring in BIGFOOT (1970). He goes on to discuss working with John Wayne and Howard Hawks, and on to Spain where he stayed for some years, starring in action films like RICCO, which is addressed here to good length. Also included is an Italian language trailer (with English subtitles) for the film under the giallo-sounding title, ג€œSome Guy with a Strange Face is Looking For You to Kill You.ג€ Try saying that three times in a row.

this sounds right up my alley

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

hey sweet!

I never stopped checking for Ricco, nice to see that it's finally actually going to be released

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

StormShadow wrote:hey sweet!

I never stopped checking for Ricco, nice to see that it's finally actually going to be released

end of this month is booming with good reg1 exploitation - this, there's a few pinky violence joints coming from media blasters, a bunch of really good new Rarescope titles and Image is allegedly bringing the shaw line back

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I just ordered Human Skin Lanterns from a UK label (Momentum, they use the Celestial prints like Image)

uh

no story there really

hey keep me up on the stuff coming at the end of the month if andvil doesn't have them in his roundups

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

human lanterns is the shit, really cool mix of horror and wuxia. Not that much fighting though, a lot of it is atmosphere and lo lieh getting gangster.

If you like that one, check out Tsui Hark's Butterfly Murders too

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Wild East hooks it up with an obscure Castellari SW and Blue Underground is re-releasing two titles on Mar 25th which were previously out on Anchor Bay but are now OOP. As I already have both of these (i'm pretty sure I wrote up both of them in this thread somewhere), BU can suck a dick. If you don't have them, def check these out, Violent City especially

Charles Bronson is the shit, Sollima directed the classics Revolver and Big Gundown, Kojak is the bad guy, and the movie is obviously inspired by Point Blank in style and some plot points. Very highly recommended.

Fun and nasty, Helmut Berger kills it as a vicious psycho (up there with Millian in Almost Human actually). Not as essential as Violent City, but definitely worth a look. It's got Richard Harrison, that's always a big plus as well.

Now this one I haven't even heard of before, Wild East did an excellent job digging this up. The title alone is fucking awesome

The movie itself is very fast paced and generally light in tone, closer to Sabata or Sartana than Django or Grand Silencio. The plot is simple and doesn't really make sense in some parts, but that's fixed with nearly non-stop action and a short running time. If you're looking for trademark Castellari, this isn't quite it - it seems to be from earlier in his career before he really came into his own style. Still, it's fun as hell and definitely satisfies for a quick SW fix.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Not to be a dick but I have to say I was actually kind of disappointed in Violent City. Music wasn't great, Telly Savalas is hardly in it, Jill Ireland is terrible like usual and Bronson doesn't have enough to do. The only highpoint for me was the very end of the movie when Bronson takes his revenge, the use of sound in the elevator scene I thought was fantastic.

Beast With a Gun I didn't even know had ever been released by blue underground, I'll probably check it out

and hey Drizzle what do you know about a western called Today It's Me, Tomorrow It's You?

I recorded it onto my dvr and the most interesting thing about it to me from what I saw on the IMDB page is that Tatsuya Nakadai plays a bad guy in it

I figure that alone makes it worthwhile as a curiousity

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I seem to remember Nakadai playing a mexican bandit and being pretty good at it, but the rest of the movie being pretty average. I did see a really shitty pan and scan copy though, so there might have been an actual good movie happening in the roughly 65% of the screen that I was missing

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I imagine mine'll be pan and scan too

I attempted to watch a pan and scan of Snake in the Monkey's Shadow last night but didn't get more than 10 minutes into it because it totally fucked up the fight scenes (or, scene, that I watched)

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

it's really weird to me that i used to watch pan/scan vhs all the time and never really minded them, but now every time i dig out an old tape of something rare that i haven't seen in a while i'm tempted to just turn it off in discust. dvds spoiled us like crazy

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

well it's just, I know there's an alternative now

I got so much shit to watch that like, why waste my time on an inferior version of a movie that's supposed to be good? if there IS no way to watch the thing in widescreen then fine

but when I go back home and do movie months with my boys, 90 percent of what we watch is pan and scan cuz we're just getting shitty movies five for five at Old Town Video

also some pan and scan is better than others

snake in monkey's shadow was REALLY bad and very distracting

I mean I didn't turn it off right away, I was going to give it the ol college try but the shit was foul

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

A new SW DVD just popped up from an unusual source (ie not from BU or Wild East)

Don't be fooled by Burt Reynolds or the MGM tag, this has an impressive euro pedigree. Produced by da gawd Dino Delaurentis (in Italy and Spain I think), directed by Sergio "the OTHER Sergio" Corbucci (Grand Silencio, Django), and written by Fernando DiLeo (Il Boss, Manhunt, Milan Caliber 9).

I've never seen it, but its cheap as hell and the bandida chick on the cover looks badass, so I grabbed it on spec.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

whoa sweet

They're playing that on tv over here in a couple days and I figure I'll watch it

I assume it'll be good and I assume I'll buy that dvd when I'm home in a couple months

what I've heard of the soundtrack was ill

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

drizzle wrote:Image
seen this. and yes, its a pretty good watch.

and...um, yeah, don't we have a spaget western thread somewhere...?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Watched Navajo Joe over the weekend, got exactly what I wanted from it. A type of movie that gladly sacrifices logic and nuance in favor of brawlin', shootin' and chasin'. Corbucci doesn't fuck around for a second, the tone is set from the opening moments as a woman is scalped before the credits even roll (pretty gruesome stuff for 1966), and from there it's just Indian Burt Reynolds slicing through dozens of bandits like butter. No weighty moral anguish or ambiguity, a bare minimum of a love story, nothing here except pure asswhooping. Considering how cheap the DVD is, if you're a fan of this kind of thing it's well worth buying

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

drizzle mentioned this one a few pages back. sounds good. any idea where i might find this?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Netflix might have it, or amazon, shouldn't be too hard to track down. Easily in my top 5 70s action movies, but I grew up with it so I might be a bit biased. Keep in mind, it's not quite as break neck wild as the italian ones, part of the appeal is that Belmondo pretty much outsmarts everybody as well as beats the shit out of them.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

yeah. amazon got used ones for lilke $40. I stumbled on this one too. its got the dope bobby digital cover...

also selling used for $40 and up.

I figured as soon as I find out about these flicks, I should swoop up on em before they go bye-bye. based on that, i grabbed MILAN CALIBRE 9, and KILL THEM ALL & COME BACK ALONE. enzo! yeah baby!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I like Le Magnifique, but keep in mind that it's much more of a comedy than anything else. It's got kind of a pink pantheresque euro-slapstick vibe, Belmondo basically making fun of himself. Any movie which makes jokes out of Jaqueline Bissette getting gang raped is ok in my book

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

darkwingduck wrote: i grabbed MILAN CALIBRE 9, and KILL THEM ALL & COME BACK ALONE. enzo! yeah baby!
which Milan Calibre 9 did you get? Are you doing Region 2's now darkwing?

MC9 is def one of my favorites of these euro crimes, although admittedly I haven't seen as many as big driz

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

that whole Di Leo trilogy is illmatic, such a good investment for those reg2s. The movies get better every time I watch them, was just watching Il Boss the other night in fact. The rocket launcher beginning is so :rockout: