Andvil's DVD Picks for January 24th

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Andvil

Andvil's DVD Picks for January 24th

Post by Andvil »

Andvil's DVD Picks for January 24th, 2006

There is a bunch of stuff being released today, but nothing much worth mentioning.
Maybe like 8 or 9 titles.

Repo Man: Collector's Edition (1984)
dir. Alex Cox

It's about motherfucking time this movie got the special treatment.
Well, at least I hope it did. Those "Special Edition" DVDs can be misleading, but this one looks like it has some decent stuff on it.
I'm not really sure what extras any of the previous releases had.
But at $13, there's no way I'm not buying this.

Amazon.com's essential video review:
A volatile, toxic potion of satire and nihilism, road movie and science fiction, violence and comedy, the unclassifiable sensibility of Alex Cox's Repo Man is the model and inspiration for a potent strain of post-punk American comedy that includes not only Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction), but also early Coen brothers (Raising Arizona, in particular), Men in Black, and even (in a weird way) The X-Files. Otto, a baby-face punk played by Emilio Estevez, becomes an apprentice to Bud (Harry Dean Stanton), a coke-snorting, veteran repo-man-of-honor prowling the streets of a Los Angeles wasteland populated by hoods, wackos, burnouts, conspiracy theorists, and aliens of every stripe. It may seem chaotic at first glance, but there's a "latticework of coincidence" (as Tracey Walter puts it) underlying everything. Repo Man is a key American movie of the 1980s--just as Taxi Driver, Nashville, and Chinatown are key American movies of the '70s. With a scorching soundtrack that features Iggy Pop, Fear, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, and Suicidal Tendencies.
  • DVD Features:
    Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
    Commentary by: Writer/Director Alex Cox, Executive Producer Michael Nesmith, Casting Director Victoria Thomas, Actors Sy Richardson, Zander Schloss and Del ZamoraDolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
    Up Close with Harry Dean Stanton
    Repossessed
    The Missing Scenes

Flightplan (2005)
dir. Robert Schwentke

Possibly the worst DVD cover I have ever seen.
As much as I'd love to stick my dick in Jodi Foster's mouth, that's just stupid.
Can't really remember any of the reviews this movie got. I think Ebert liked it.
I just wanted to point out how dumb the cover was.

Amazon.com's review:
Like a lot of stylishly persuasive thrillers, Flightplan is more fun to watch than it is to think about. There's much to admire in this hermetically sealed mystery, in which a propulsion engineer and grieving widow (Jodie Foster) takes her 6-year-old daughter (and a coffin containing her husband's body) on a transatlantic flight aboard a brand-new jumbo jet she helped design, and faces a mother's worst nightmare when her daughter (Marlene Lawston) goes missing. But how can that be? Is she delusional? Are the flight crew, the captain (Sean Bean) and a seemingly sympathetic sky marshal (Peter Sarsgaard) playing out some kind of conspiratorial abduction? In making his first English-language feature, German director Robert Schwentke milks the mother's dilemma for all it's worth, and Foster's intense yet subtly nuanced performance (which builds on a fair amount of post-9/11 paranoia) encompasses all the shifting emotions required to grab and hold your attention. Alas, this upgraded riff on Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes (not to mention Otto Preminger's Bunny Lake is Missing) is ultimately too preposterous to hold itself together. Flightplan gives us a dazzling tour of the jumbo jet's high-tech innards, and its suspense is intelligently maintained all the way through to a cathartic conclusion, but the plot-heavy mechanics break down under scrutiny. Your best bet is to fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the thrills on a purely emotional level -- a strategy that worked equally well with Panic Room, Foster's previous thriller about a mother and daughter in peril.
  • DVD Features:
    Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Unknown Format), Spanish (Unknown Format), English (DTS 5.1)
    Commentary by: Filmmaker
    The In-Flight Movie: The Making of Flightplan" featurette
    Cabin Pressure: Designing the Aalto E-474 featurette

The Aristocrats (2005)
dir. Paul Provenza & Penn Jillette

The pink will probably turn some people off....and why is there a dog on the cover??
Actually this cover might be a worse cover than Flightplan.
This movie is worth watching, though.
I didn't think it was the funniest movie of the year, and I sure as hell didn't laugh til it hurt, but it was funny.
When seeing this in the theater, I think about half the people in the theater walked out.
There was even a sign at the front of the theater that said "IF YOU WALK OUT AFTER 20 MINUTES INTO THE MOVIE, THERE IS NO REFUND"

Amazon.com's review:
Released without a rating and billed as "the most vile, disgusting, and vulgar" film of all time, The Aristocrats is also funny enough to qualify as a minor comedy classic. We say "minor" only because hearing the same foul joke told by 100 celebrated comedians is inevitably exhausting, even though the shaggy-dog gag (a vintage in-joke among comedians, allowing outrageously obscene improvisation, and always ending with the same titular punchline) is also a fascinating litmus test for each comedian's irreverent style. As codirectors and show-biz insiders, veteran comedians Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette (from the comedy duo Penn & Teller) corralled an unprecedented parade of stand-up celebrities (George Carlin, Robin Williams, Drew Carey, Whoopi Goldberg, Sarah Silverman, the South Park kids and many, many more), each telling "the dirtiest joke of all time" in their own inimitable fashion. The sheer volume of vaudevillian vulgarity takes on a life of its own, more fascinating than funny, until Gilbert Gottfried (at a celebrity roast for Hugh Hefner, shortly after the terrorist attacks of 9/11/01) tells what is unanimously hailed as the definitive version of the joke. It's a matter of context, style, and bawdy bravado, and for better or worse, The Aristocrats will endure as a testament to a joke so bad--so uproariously bad--that no comedian worthy of the profession can resist the temptation to tell it.

No DVD Features listed.

Oliver Twist (2005)
dir. Roman Polanski

Considering that this was a Roman Polanski movie, I figured it would've been talked about more, but I really never heard much about it.
Surely it's worth watching though. It's a classic story. Probably would've been pretty hard to fuck up.

Amazon.com's review:
If Charles Dickens were alive to see Roman Polanski's faithful adaptation of Oliver Twist, he'd probably give it his stamp of approval. David Lean's celebrated 1948 version of the Dickens classic and Carol Reed's Oscar

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thumbsucker (2005)
dir. Mike Mills

Is that Mike Mills from R.E.M.? I heard years ago he was getting into film. Also, if Vaughns in this I will be watching. Thanks.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i can't believe I bought the regular Repo Man like 2 weeks ago, i suck
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Philaflava wrote:Thumbsucker (2005)
dir. Mike Mills

Is that Mike Mills from R.E.M.? I heard years ago he was getting into film. Also, if Vaughns in this I will be watching. Thanks.
ha, I didn't catch that...

but no, it's not him.
that'd be cool if it was though

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

im coppin the virgin spring for sure....

i really wanna see polanski's olive twist tho
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I can't believe Andvil left off the only dvd I'm going to buy.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Oops, didn't mean to be cryptic, here it is: Image

There's also a david spade one tomorrow too, but whatever.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

StormShadow wrote:I can't believe Andvil left off the only dvd I'm going to buy.
sorry dude, here you go

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I put cum under your toilet seat.

Guun

Post by Guun »

Philaflava wrote:Thumbsucker (2005)
dir. Mike Mills

just watched this last night.. i thought it was a dope coming of age type story.. basically about a depressed teen who still sucks his thum and everyone has a different idea on how to fix it.. i thought it was good.. probably one of the better movies i've watched lately.