any comic book fans here?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

citizen

any comic book fans here?

Post by citizen »

share what stuff your into, how consistently you buy stuff

right now the dc infinite crisis and the return of jason todd as red hood is keeping me interested, was excited for the frank miller/jim lee as batman team up but the series is really slow

boogie shoes

Post by boogie shoes »

anything jack kirby did

the reissues like kamandi and the ff marvel masterpiece books are great.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I don't buy them but I love to go to a book store some times and just read the collected volumes and the graphic novels.

Generally feeling:

Anything from Allan Moore
Anything from Grant Morrison, especially invisibles
Anything from Frank Miller
Most things from Gaiman, although his 'artsier' projects don't grab me as much.
Anything from Garth Ennis, "The Pro" actually might be one of my favorite books ever
Hellblazer in earlier versions, the later ones where he's in America brawling with Rednecks are hit or miss for me
Anything from Warren Ellis, the trifecta of 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan and Planetary is unfucwitable.
Alejandro Jorodowsky has been writing some really cool short graphic novels, kinda warped extremely violent Sci-fi fantasies that are actually remeniscent of his films
The Judge Dredd related books they've been putting out lately

Damn, on second thought I guess I like a lot of comic books
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

My dad worked for comic books back in the 1980's, I used to get every DC/Marvel/Epic title for free.

Never really cared for any of them except for Batman. And Swamp Thing, when Alan Moore wrote it. Those issues were seriously brilliant.

Nowadays, I'll fuck with anything Alan Moore, and probably Batman graphic novels. I did pick up a Superman comic about a year ago, and it was fucking terrible, the artwork looked totally stale and the coloring was some weird computer shit that just looked off.

TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs
Location: "..I feel like a little white girl. I feel fat" - Bun B

Post by TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs »

On the first Danzig video compilation Glenn said he jacked the whole bushy chops look from Wolverine from The X-Men.

MD

Re: any comic book fans here?

Post by MD »

citizen wrote:right now the dc infinite crisis and the return of jason todd as red hood is keeping me interested
This is exactly what I'm buying right now. I haven't read regularly in like ten years, but when I found out Jason Todd was back I had to get the issues. Shit is crazy. From there, I got sucked into Infinite Crisis and that shit is fucking wild too, especially the last issue with Superboy on PCP ripping motherfuckers' arms off.

Lid

Post by Lid »

graphic novels are my steez. but some comics i buy..
anything drawn by lenlil Yu.
invincibles
kyle baker stuff

bostaff skillz

Post by bostaff skillz »

i was just gonna start a new topic, but since everyone is already in here. can someone school me right quick on green latern. if it needs its own topic just say so and ill start one up but if not thatd be great.

citizen

Post by citizen »

i like your name bostaff skills, i think it might have been funnier if it was bo staffskillz

GMoney

Post by GMoney »

Mannnnnnnnn too much of my bank gets spent on this shit and now all this Infinite Crisis shit is kicking off my weekly stack is getting even bigger. Can't wait for 52 and the one year later titles though.

Legion of super heroes
Teen Titans
Walking Dead
Green Arrow
Ultimates
Runaways
x-Factor
Avengers
JLA
JSA
and of course Crisis

...I think theres more but writing it down like this has made me realise that maybe I need to calm this shit down a bit!

bostaff skillz wrote:i was just gonna start a new topic, but since everyone is already in here. can someone school me right quick on green latern. if it needs its own topic just say so and ill start one up but if not thatd be great.

Whats your question man?

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate Hulk
The New Avengers
Marvel Knights

Spawn

Superman
Justice League of America

* Not really reading a lot of them because stroylines become confusing and hard to follow. As someone mentioned before this Infinate Crisis is crazy and the Evolve or Die epic with Spider-Man is really reinventing the character.

bostaff skillz

Post by bostaff skillz »

citizen wrote:i like your name bostaff skills, i think it might have been funnier if it was bo staffskillz
damn. ya that would have been better.

and my question was if someone could give me a quick run down on green lantern. i know about the ring deal but i just never read anything on them to really understand them.

GMoney

Post by GMoney »

bostaff skillz wrote:and my question was if someone could give me a quick run down on green lantern. i know about the ring deal but i just never read anything on them to really understand them.

Sorry this is so long...

The Corps is an organization of 7200 Green Lanterns (the old Corps had 3600) who are chosen by the ring for being able to overcome great fear, with two assigned to sectors of space that require the protection of more than one Green Lantern(Earth, home to Hal Jordan and John Stewart, is in Sector 2814). Heavily-populated Sectors like 2814, can have several Lanterns. While the primary Lanterns of Sector 2814 are Hal Jordan and John Stewart, there is also Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner who call Earth home, but are stationed on OA, first as teachers, and then specially assigned to cases that are too difficult for the average GL.
Each member had a great deal of autonomy as to their methods in their jurisdiction, subject to review by the Guardians if they felt the Green Lantern in question has abused his/her assigned authority. Also, the individual Lanterns were responsible for arranging their replacements if they were near retirement or death. If the Lantern died before that obligation was met, the ring would find and seek another to be trained on its own. In rare circumstances, Guardians would personally go out into the field to recruit a replacement.
Each Green Lantern in the original corps upon recruitment would receive a power ring, a power battery shaped like a lantern with which the ring is recharged and a uniform. The default uniform design for humanoids was a green section covering the torso and shoulders, black arms and leggings, green boots, white gloves, green domino mask and a chest symbol of a stylized Green Lantern icon on a white circle. Lanterns were allowed to customize their uniforms as long as the color scheme and the symbol were present. Lanterns were also allowed the option of a secret identity as a security measure and it is implied that the Corps were instructed to honor that choice by taking care not to expose them. Training in the use of the ring was optional and appropriate facilities and personnel were available on Oa upon request. In addition, a senior Lantern can be assigned to coach a recruit in the field in their sector.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

i used to buy comics religiously. kinda stopped for a few months ago. thinking about going back into it.

used to read x-men religiously. not anymore. all the x-men comics are wack to me. seriously x-men and batman were my favorite comics. nowadays (or last time i was actively purchasing), they were horendous.

i used to read amazing spiderman and ultimate spiderman. does anyone know if spectacular spiderman is any good? i bought one issue and then stopped cause i stopped buying altogether.

also, batman.

also anything frank miller writes.

The Hulk.

used to read deadpool.

anything jim lee draws.

i used to read others as well but off the top of my head, i don't remember.

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I was a comic geek in high school, and I've been sucked back in. I've been going to BORDERS or BARNES AND NOBLE and running through all the graphic novels.

Infinite Crisis is CRAZY!!! I've been going back and reading a lot of the DC storylines from last year leading up to IC. The OMAC PROJECT was ill (Ted Kord RIP) as was IDENTITY CRISIS. DAY OF VENGENCE was pretty good. I'm really digging the DC Universe as of late with the return of Hal Jordan among other things. The way DC's writers are using the wealth of characters (corny ones and all) in today's context is really good.

I'm not digging the Frank Miller/Jim Lee series that much...which sucks cause I am a big fan of both. The Superman title in the vein is dope, I'm a huge fan of Frank Quietly's art. The latest incarnations of the Outsiders and Teen Titans are pretty dope books.

The only Marvel comics I'm keeping up on are The Ultimates and The New Avengers.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

anything MIKE MIGNOLA does is pure greatness...His batman stories are so SICK. HELLBOY is genious.

Im still looking to finish reading AKIRA...I got like every last novel except like the last 3 installments EPIC came out with back in the early 90s. If anyone knows where I may be able to figure out which ones Im missing and where I can pick them up would be appriciated...

Funny thing, Im reading a comic about Understanding Comics by SCOTT MCLOUD...Its really opening my eyes on the language of SEQUENTIAL ART a.k.a. Comics...

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Mike (NJJ)

bostaff skillz

Post by bostaff skillz »

GMoney wrote:
bostaff skillz wrote:and my question was if someone could give me a quick run down on green lantern. i know about the ring deal but i just never read anything on them to really understand them.

Sorry this is so long...

The Corps is an organization of 7200 Green Lanterns (the old Corps had 3600) who are chosen by the ring for being able to overcome great fear, with two assigned to sectors of space that require the protection of more than one Green Lantern(Earth, home to Hal Jordan and John Stewart, is in Sector 2814). Heavily-populated Sectors like 2814, can have several Lanterns. While the primary Lanterns of Sector 2814 are Hal Jordan and John Stewart, there is also Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner who call Earth home, but are stationed on OA, first as teachers, and then specially assigned to cases that are too difficult for the average GL.
Each member had a great deal of autonomy as to their methods in their jurisdiction, subject to review by the Guardians if they felt the Green Lantern in question has abused his/her assigned authority. Also, the individual Lanterns were responsible for arranging their replacements if they were near retirement or death. If the Lantern died before that obligation was met, the ring would find and seek another to be trained on its own. In rare circumstances, Guardians would personally go out into the field to recruit a replacement.
Each Green Lantern in the original corps upon recruitment would receive a power ring, a power battery shaped like a lantern with which the ring is recharged and a uniform. The default uniform design for humanoids was a green section covering the torso and shoulders, black arms and leggings, green boots, white gloves, green domino mask and a chest symbol of a stylized Green Lantern icon on a white circle. Lanterns were allowed to customize their uniforms as long as the color scheme and the symbol were present. Lanterns were also allowed the option of a secret identity as a security measure and it is implied that the Corps were instructed to honor that choice by taking care not to expose them. Training in the use of the ring was optional and appropriate facilities and personnel were available on Oa upon request. In addition, a senior Lantern can be assigned to coach a recruit in the field in their sector.
thanks for putting so much effort into this. i think i need to start reading these.

GMoney

Post by GMoney »

...No worries

lf your for checking it out DC has just finished a Green Lantern Corps mini series which will lead into a new Green Lantern Corps ongoing in a few months, it's written by Dave Gibbons who drew Watchmen, although i've never read any of his work, if he writes like he draws it's gonna be a winner!

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

i used to read hella comics but that kinda ended when i got caught with someone stealing (we used to steal hella comics too)

glad to see people keeping hope alive

Kalel, with a name like that, you BETTER read comics! :lol:

i read
Batman (had all the special series: Death in the Family, Year One, Killing Joke, etc.)
X-Men (the entire universe)
Spiderman (most of the series... especially in Todd McFarlane's early days)
Daredevil was THE SHIT (in the Kingpin/Bullseye/Elektra days)
I read Faust (anyone remember that sick shit? it was amazing. blood and sex galore)
I read some Image comics (are they still around?)
a few DC titles (Sandman was ill)
but mostly Marvel Comics

comics rule and are the future of Hollywood
peace to y'all
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;