uk slags, what is breaks exactly?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

cuntface

uk slags, what is breaks exactly?

Post by cuntface »

i was always sort of under the impression that breaks was like uk garage but for those who didn't want leave shoreditch and risk getting lashed at a garage dance and with no vocals. as far as i can tell though garage has more or less died out now but (apparently) breaks is still goin strong. this makes me think i was wrong in my assessment. someone inform me.

also while we on the subject of defunct or near dead genres do people still make big beat? cos every so often i might look at londonnet to see if there is anything on there worth reaching and they have a big beat category. i never liked or even met anyone who liked big beat but i thought that long went the way of click suits and moschino off keys

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Re: uk slags, what is breaks exactly?

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

cuntface wrote:also while we on the subject of defunct or near dead genres do people still make big beat? cos every so often i might look at londonnet to see if there is anything on there worth reaching and they have a big beat category. i never liked or even met anyone who liked big beat but i thought that long went the way of click suits and moschino off keys
Haha - Click Suits were dope.

I met a guy fairly recently who is still into Big Beat - he always goes on about the night Norman Cook and someone else had a 'DJ face-off' in the Astoria and they performed in a boxing ring. But yeah, I don't think anyone makes it anymore.

He's also quite into Acid Jazz.

Oh, and I don't know what Breaks is. I always presumed it was like Garage. The only place I see that has Breaks evenings is Cargo so it may well be a Shoreditch only phenominon.

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

isn't breaks just like funk & soul breaks etc? where they play the same ultimate breaks and beats and james brown records in trucker hats and front on their 'knowledge'?

I went to a breaks night in Bristol that was like that

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

see i thought 'breaks' meant jbs and whatnot too. a few years ago we painted this hoxton pimps party and this guy (who funnily enough lived across the road from me) was there spinning breaks, i was waiting around for him to actually get to the breaks but it turned out that garage-y music he played was breaks.

combine hoxton pimps with the fact that i'm going to a breaks label launch party in shoreditch tonight and i think bollocks is right about it being a shoreditch thing

barknee

Post by barknee »

naw, there are plenty of breaks nights up here in manchester.

from what i know, breaks seems like soft drum 'n' bass for people scared of dirty synths. fast breakbeats, organ samples, that kind of thing... kind of like house crossed with drum. yet more boring as shit dance music for kids popping es like they were paracetamol, basically.
ImageImageImage

the brow

Post by the brow »

I understand "breaks" to mean funk/jazz/soul/disco breakbeats. Basically the foundation of the majority of dance music.

EDIT: I'm from the US. WTF is a slag.

TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs
Location: "..I feel like a little white girl. I feel fat" - Bun B

Post by TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs »

I understand "breaks" to mean funk/jazz/soul/disco breakbeats. Basically the foundation of the majority of dance music.
Yeah, that's what breaks means, although i guess it could also refer to any type of U.K music with a sampled break-beat like old U.K rap, cut & paste tracks like "beats and pieces" by Coldcut, "pump up the volume" by M.A.R.R.S and "beat dis" by Bomb Da Bass, the entirity of jungle/drum & bass and big-beat.

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

unibrowski wrote:I understand "breaks" to mean funk/jazz/soul/disco breakbeats. Basically the foundation of the majority of dance music.

EDIT: I'm from the US. WTF is a slag.
a slag is a skettle. a boopsie is also a skettle but a boopsie is something technically distinct from a slag.

De Seven Free

Post by De Seven Free »

unibrowski wrote:I'm from the US. WTF is a slag.
A slapper; a ho.

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

take down that explanation bredrin

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

A slag's a munter you plonker

TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs
Location: "..I feel like a little white girl. I feel fat" - Bun B

Post by TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs »

the brow

Post by the brow »

Sounds real horrorshow, droogies.

J-Murda

Post by J-Murda »

barknee wrote:naw, there are plenty of breaks nights up here in manchester.
Do you go to Manchester University?
"Down South on vacation just this year a couple different people asked if I was Arab or Hispanic and I've got pulled away from security lines at airports the last two times I flied." - Icesickle

barknee

Post by barknee »

J-Murda wrote:
barknee wrote:naw, there are plenty of breaks nights up here in manchester.
Do you go to Manchester University?
yes indeed. only for another 6 months, though. don't tell me there's another fellow kingstonite up here...
ImageImageImage

J-Murda

Post by J-Murda »

Nah, I'm at another university. Also finishing in June.
"Down South on vacation just this year a couple different people asked if I was Arab or Hispanic and I've got pulled away from security lines at airports the last two times I flied." - Icesickle

datura

Post by datura »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaks

'Breakbeat (sometimes breakbeats or breaks) is a term used to describe a collection of sub-genres of electronic music, usually characterized by the use of a non-straighted 4/4 drum pattern (as opposed to the steady beat of house or trance). These rhythms may be characterised by their use of syncopation and polyrhythms, which are prominent in all music of African origin, including much Afro-American music'

Garage is still made, it's just not got the profile it had a few years back as it has been superceded by Grime and there is also a growing momentum behind Dubstep.
"If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac"

tpp

Post by tpp »

J-Murda wrote:Nah, I'm at another university. Also finishing in June.
where did you go to school J-Murda?

J-Murda

Post by J-Murda »

tpp wrote:
Roflcopter. Even if I told you the name, you wouldn't know it. It was a very small private school. I had a scholarship.

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

J-Murda wrote:Roflcopter. Even if I told you the name, you wouldn't know it. It was a very small private school. I had a scholarship.
Lol lol lol. :arrow:
I was unaware of this.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

cuntface wrote:shoreditch . . . click suits . . . moschino off keys
cuntface wrote:hoxton pimps
barknee wrote:paracetamol
De Seven Free wrote:slapper
Ever feel like Brits are just fucking with you?

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

Lol. Those aren't even all British slang though. Shoreditch and Hoxton are areas of London, Moschino is an Italian designer brand, and Paracetamol is a painkiller, which, as it is sold in Jamaica, I'd presume they have it in America also.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

tpp

Post by tpp »

J-Murda wrote:
tpp wrote:
Roflcopter. Even if I told you the name, you wouldn't know it. It was a very small private school. I had a scholarship.
TRY ME

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

De Seven Free wrote:
unibrowski wrote:I'm from the US. WTF is a slag.
A slapper; a ho.
But, a slag can also be a 'sllaaaaaaggggg'. As in 'you torched my boozer, you slllaaaaagggggg'

GMoney

Post by GMoney »

Yeah I remember I couldn't afford Click so I had a Paco suit, which is only a good look if you think that denim and cord should be mixed together!

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

GMoney wrote:
Yeah I remember I couldn't afford Click so I had a Paco suit, which is only a good look if you think that denim and cord should be mixed together!
Man, when i was a young, Click suits were the seal of thoroughness. I couldnt afford any of that shit, strictly Blue Bolt cords straight outta Mash....

Thun

Post by Thun »

Can someone please transcribe the boom-bap pattern and explain what it means to "buck someone"? THX