Andvil's DVD Picks for January 31st

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Andvil

Andvil's DVD Picks for January 31st

Post by Andvil »

Andvil's DVD Picks for January 31st, 2006

Hmm, today is kinda strange...only really one or two big releases, and a bunch of lesser known underground stuff.
Don't know how many people are gonna be interested in these, but what the hell.
Here goes.

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (2005)
dir. Tim Burton & Mike Johnson

I'll start off by saying I haven't seen alot of today's releases.
I want to get that out of the way cause I feel like I say that all the time.
But anyway, I'm recommending this cause I'm a big fan of Nightmare Before Christmas, and there aren't many movies that provide a more unique experience than these.
Tim Burton can be very very hit or miss. I'm hoping for a hit here.

Amazon.com's review:
Who else but Tim Burton could make Corpse Bride, a necrophiliac's delight that's fun for the whole family? Returning to the richly imaginative realm of stop-motion animation (after previous successes with The Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach), Burton, with codirector Mike Johnson, invites us to visit the dour, ashen, and drearily Victorian mansions of the living, where young Victor Van Dort (voiced by Johnny Depp) is bequeathed to wed the lovely Victoria (Emily Watson). But the wedding rehearsal goes sour and, in the kind of Goth-eerie forest that only exists in Burton-land, Victor suddenly finds himself accidentally married to the Corpse Bride (Helena Bonham Carter), a blue-tinted, half-skeletal beauty (how pleasantly full-bosomed she remains!) with a loquacious maggot installed behind one prone-to-popping eyeball. This being a Burton creation, the underworld of the dead is a lively and colorful place indeed, and Danny Elfman's songs and score make it even livelier, presenting Victor with quite a dilemma: Should he return above-ground to Victoria, or remain devoted to his corpse bride? At a brisk 76 minutes, Burton's graveyard whimsy (loosely based on a 19th century Russian folktale) never wears out its welcome, and the voice casting (which includes Tracey Ullman and Albert Finney) is superbly matched the film's gloriously amusing character design, guaranteed to yield a wealth of gruesome toys and action figures for many Halloweens to come.
  • DVD Features:
    Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1 EX), English (Dolby Digital 5.1), Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 5.1)
    Inside the Two Worlds
    Danny Elfman Interprets the Two Worlds
    The Animators: The Breath of Life
    Tim Burton: Dark vs. Light
    Voices from the Underworld
    Making Puppets Tick
    The Voices Behind the Voice
    The Corpse-Bride pre-production galleries
    Theatrical trailer
    Music-only track

Dune (Extended Edition) (1984)
dir. David Lynch

Seems like this has been released a bunch of times.
David Lynch is the king of "hit or miss", and I know many people that love this movie.
This extended cut is roughly 40 minutes longer than the OG....no clue if that's a good or a bad thing.

Plot Synopsis:
In the far future, a duke and his family are sent by the Emperor to a sand world from which comes a spice that is essential for interstellar travel. The move is designed to destroy the duke and his family, but his son escapes and seeks revenge as he uses the world's ecology as one of his weapons.
  • DVD Features:
    Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
    Feature 1: Original Theatrical Version - 2 Hours 17 Minutes
    Feature 2: Extended Version Version - 2 Hours 57 Minutes
    Deleted Scenes with Introduction by Raffaella De Laurentiis
    Designing Dune
    Special Effects
    Models & Miniatures
    Wardrobe Design
    Photograph Gallery
    Production Notes

Bubble (2006)
dir. Steven Soderbergh

Hey, wasn't this just in theaters?? LOLLRZ LOLRZ LOLOLOLBAGACKLE
Soderbergh is more miss than hit in my opinion, but this movie intrigues me, and not only because of it's wacky release schedule.
Ebert called it a masterpiece.
:killacam:

Plot Outline:
Residents of a small town in Ohio puzzle out the details of a murder which took place at the local toy factory.

No DVD Features listed.

The Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection (1969)
dir. Gerry Chiniquy, Arthur Davis

I probably watched these more as a kid than I did the live-action movies.
No clue why, cause I've always liked the movies better.

Product Description:
The Pink Panther is - paws down - the world's grooviest cartoon star. In 1964, this pink-inked feline slinked onto the opening credits of Blake Edwards' caper film by the same name and threatened to steal the entire show. Sleek, sophisticated and witty, the animation, produced by Friz Freleng and David H. DePatie, was a stylish departure from its contemporaries

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Damn, those are not the No Shame dvds I thought were coming out. I know nothing about the ones you posted, but No Shame has a good track record

I am all about the Virgins from Hell, gonna get that tonight if I can

End of august, Dune and Corpsbride all look at least rentable as hell

Also, the Miike box is worth a pick up if you don't have those yet, that trilogy is a very good mix of crazy shock Miike that everybody loves and the low-key gangster drama Miike nobody's heard of.

thread's appreciated as always my man
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Ok so those pictures of "Let Me Die A Woman" are fucking horrifying.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

drizzle wrote:Damn, those are not the No Shame dvds I thought were coming out. I know nothing about the ones you posted, but No Shame has a good track record
on the links you sent me, all the release dates were for the end of March/early April

thread needs CPR

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Andvil wrote:
drizzle wrote:Damn, those are not the No Shame dvds I thought were coming out. I know nothing about the ones you posted, but No Shame has a good track record
on the links you sent me, all the release dates were for the end of March/early April

thread needs CPR
fuck that, i want it now

thread MUST NOT DIE
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Also released:

LIVE FREAKY, DIE FREAKY

Because we love you, here is the Canadian premiere of John Roecker