Portishead back in the Studio..for real

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

blessingindisguise

Portishead back in the Studio..for real

Post by blessingindisguise »

from MOJO magazine Feb. 2006 issue:

"It's incredibly difficult to say what it is yet," says Portishead guitarist & co-producer Adrien Utley of his group's self-produced as-yet untitled third album. "It's just this mish-mash of bits & bobs... it's quite agonising, actually. I think we all want an end to this, quickly. Then there'll be no more grabbing from the ether."

Ever since release dates for their third album were mooted in the late '90s, the ether is where Portishead have dwelt. Exhausted after 1997's self-titled second album - nearly as warmly received as 1994's Mercury Prize-winning Dummy - they suspended operations in 1998. A variety of low-key collaborations followed, including vocalist Beth Gibbons' Out Of Season album with Rustin Man, and Utley's contributions to albums by Goldfrapp, Sparklehorse and Marianne Faithful.

Then, with the mid-90s trip-hop boom a far memory, the group reunited last February to play a benefit concert for victims of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami. Piecemeal recordings had been made over the years, but they began work in earnest in June 2005 in Utley & co-producer/drummer Geoff Barrow's studios in Bristol. Seven tracks have been completed, minus Gibbons' voice, which will be recorded in the early part of this year. Keyboard player Johnny Baggot, drummer Clive Deamer & bassist Jim Barr are also scheduled to play.

"It will be colder than the first two albums, but in a different way," reveals Barrow, who confirms the new album will be a turntable-free zone. "The warmth & the jazziness isn't so apparent, there's a bleaker quality... but, Beth has to come from a real place in her life, and she does like to touch people with what she does, so there will be warmth."

Both men understand the possible consequences of spending so much time away. "I don't expect the chart success we had to happen again," says Barrow, who is a fan of MF DOOM (MOJO didn't put it in all caps, "COME ON!"

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I heard about this a while ago. Hopefully, they'll put something out this year.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

erksortega

Re: Portishead back in the Studio..for real

Post by erksortega »

blessingindisguise wrote:last February to play a benefit concert for victims of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami.
that reminds me I still haven't listened to this. Massive Attack did the benifit too. Has anyone heard this yet?

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

Is MOJO mag any good?
Do they cover hip hop whatsoever? I checked out their website and it seemed to completely disregard hip hop, however I am interested in it otherwise.

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

i just picked up a mojo mag special edition titled "nirvana and the story of grunge," and i was really happy with it. pretty thorough too, covering other seattle bands, grunge era essential albums and all. the biggest gem for me was how it looked at the roots of the scene, going back to iggy pop, led zeppelin, husker du, and sonic youth, just to name a few.

it beat the hell out of any other music magazine i've seen lately, so if this one issue i read is any indication, its pretty well done.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

ardamus wrote:I heard about this a while ago. Hopefully, they'll put something out this year.
they won't... but lets hope anyways.

Out of Season is incredible

TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs
Location: "..I feel like a little white girl. I feel fat" - Bun B

Post by TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs »

Mojo is a decent rag. They have free cd's that are sometimes actually worth listening to.

Every year since 1997 i've read Portishead are "back in the studio and recording new material" and every year nothing ever emerges.

I won't hold my breath here.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

i swear to god if they get mf doom or madlib on the album, i ain't buying that shit.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

i hope they realize that to destroy the existence of middle of the road music, they have to put something out themselves so people have another option.

wack musicians work so much harder than geniuses. it's tragic.

(what am I doing online? I have work to do myself!!)

:megaman:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;