Biggest Oscar Snub

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Biggest Oscar Snub

Q'Orianka Kilcher for Best Actress
No votes
"A History of Violence" for Best Picture
12%
"Grizzly Man" for Best Documentary
33%
Viggo Mortenson for Best Actor
9%
Roger Deakins for Best Cinematography ("Jarhead")
3%
"The New World" for Best Picture
No votes
Ed Harris for Best Supporting Actor
No votes
"Kung Fu Hustle" for Best Foreign Film
18%
"40 Year Old Virgin" for Best Original Screenplay
6%
Steve Carell for Best Actor
15%
Stephen Chow for Best Director
3%
Terrence Malick for Best Director
No votes

Total votes: 33

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Biggest Oscar Snub

Post by Icesickle »

The Oscars are bullshit - that's a given.

However, I think this year's batch of nominations made me go :naswtf: more than any other year that I can remember.

No "Grizzly Man" for best doc, one of the best performances by a child actress ever doesn't get recognized (Kilcher in "The New World"), "A History of Violence" gets shut out except for a nomination the third or fourth best performance in the film, Stephen Chow and "Kung Fu Hustle" come up empty, and a fresh, crowd pleasing comedy like the "40 Year Old Virgin" doesn't get any nominations for screenplay or best actor.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

I voted for Grizzly man.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

This list is bigger bullshit then the Oscars. No mention of Segal for Today You Die automatically means its a bad list.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

write in: "Whoop That Trick" - best original song from a film
Moolah wrote:
Smithee wrote:I'd like to personally thank Andrew Bogut.
:cheers:

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

why? "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp" got nominated, isnt that just as good?
(not in terms of quality of song, but in terms of getting a nomination, if that makes sense)

and LOL @ Best Original Screenplay for 40 Year Old Virgin

the answer is Grizzly Man

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Ha. This is like a summary of the stuff that you jocked to no end this year...

Kung Fu Hustle should have gotten a nod.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Andvil wrote:why? "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp" got nominated, isnt that just as good?
(not in terms of quality of song, but in terms of getting a nomination, if that makes sense)
no, actually it doesn't.

(& btw i wasn't serious)
Moolah wrote:

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

blastmaster wrote:Ha. This is like a summary of the stuff that you jocked to no end this year...

Kung Fu Hustle should have gotten a nod.
Ehh...partially true. Nearly everyone on here raved about Kung Fu Hustle, 40 Year Old Virgin, Grizzly Man, and History of Violence. A lot of folks in here - yourself and Funk Docta included - were anticipating New World.

I really don't see how New World didn't get a nomination when Thin Red Line got one...it's a much more accessible movie than Thin Red Line and Malick's style matches the story more than it did in TRL.

And Andvil, I don't get your bold, extra large font LOL for 40 Year Old Virgin original screenplay. Granted it wasn't the biggest slight, but it had some really well written, original characters and situations for a mainstream comedy.

My list of snubs, in order of fucked upness:

1)Kilcher - One of the biggest snubs ever. I really can't think of any explanation how such a young kid would get snubbed for a performance where she outshines two actors that are twice her age. A little bit of 'cism? Discomfort over the age difference between her and Farell? I dunno...

2)Grizzly Man - Doesn't make any sense at all... Maybe left-wingers mistakenly thought it was an anti-environmentalist film, that's the only thing I can think of.

3)A History of Violence - I guess the Academy likes to be beaten over the head and can't appreciate a political daring film that's also artistically daring. I thought it was a shoe-in with the universal critical acclaim it received.

And I put Deakins in there for that scene where the platoon is lost in the oilfields alone. That was like "Inferno" come to life - his cinematography was the best thing in the film.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

^ im watchin my bootleg versio of american violence tonight.....probly bbm tomorrow (no homo)
Moolah wrote:

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Icesickle wrote:2)Grizzly Man - Doesn't make any sense at all... Maybe left-wingers mistakenly thought it was an anti-environmentalist film, that's the only thing I can think of.

i personally think it's more a shame that mad hot ballroom or rock school didn't get nods. i thought grizzly man was good but you guys overrate the shit out of it.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Icesickle wrote:
I really don't see how New World didn't get a nomination when Thin Red Line got one...it's a much more accessible movie than Thin Red Line and Malick's style matches the story more than it did in TRL.
Which version of New World should she have been nominated for? If Malick did not go back and recut the movie every other week it probably would have been nominated.
My list of snubs, in order of fucked upness:

1)Kilcher - One of the biggest snubs ever. I really can't think of any explanation how such a young kid would get snubbed for a performance where she outshines two actors that are twice her age. A little bit of 'cism? Discomfort over the age difference between her and Farell? I dunno...
Here is the most likely one. Not enough members of the Academy saw the movie. I dont know what the stuidos budget was in the Trades but that also makes a huge different for a film like this. Oh and like i said the 15 different edits dont help the chances.
2)Grizzly Man - Doesn't make any sense at all... Maybe left-wingers mistakenly thought it was an anti-environmentalist film, that's the only thing I can think of.
Herzog has a history of shitting on the Academy which does not help. The documentary category has some fucked up rules also so there is a good chance that it violated some bullshit rule.
3)A History of Violence - I guess the Academy likes to be beaten over the head and can't appreciate a political daring film that's also artistically daring. I thought it was a shoe-in with the universal critical acclaim it received.
Or maybe just maybe they saw a shitty comic book movie when they see it.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

intuition wrote:
Icesickle wrote:2)Grizzly Man - Doesn't make any sense at all... Maybe left-wingers mistakenly thought it was an anti-environmentalist film, that's the only thing I can think of.

i personally think it's more a shame that mad hot ballroom or rock school didn't get nods. i thought grizzly man was good but you guys overrate the shit out of it.
You are tripping out of your mind.

Anyway, I voted for History of Violence and Grizzly Man would be my second choice. The rest of the choices are irrelevant.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

voted for Viggo.

Kung Fu Hustle is a better film than pretty much anything nominated but I don't expect the Academy to be that forward looking so it's not much of a disapointed. Not to mention The Weinsteins hate Stephen Chow now.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Yeah, but Sony put out Hustle and the Weinsteins were a total non-factor this year, so I don't think they had anything to do with it.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

grizzly man is absolutely brilliant...

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

I voted for Roger Deakin's awesome cinematography in the under rated "Jarhead". The burning oil scene is worth it alone.

zizek

Post by zizek »

I think Grizzly Man was ruled out on some moronic technicality, like it was shown on Foreign TV or something.
When we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.