Question about charging fees for production work

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Piff Tannen

Question about charging fees for production work

Post by Piff Tannen »

sup guys, like many of you, im working to try to get into the production industry. im still building my experience and stuff like that, but ive lined up a project. im gonna be working with a guy who wants to make a commercial advertising his recording studio. im going to be shooting and editing the spot, its 30 seconds and relatively simple. however, when it comes to fees, im not sure what would be fair to charge. he said a bunch of others that were contacting him were charging an arm and a leg, but i dont know what he sees as an arm and a leg.

for someone in my position, how much would be fair to charge? either flat, or per hour?

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I would recommend calling a cable provider.

Ever see those absolutely terrible TV commercials on cable for some shit local business? Like a local restaurant or some carpet store or something? Well chances are those crap commercials were made by a cable company. Cable companies have a package where they send a cameraman to a business, shoot unprepared random crap for like two hours, then edit the piece of shit and the business will have a commercial in like 24 hours. As you would assume, this costs next to nothing. But the business more concerned with airtime and exposure, not the quality of the commercial.

If I were you, I'd recommend contacting a cable provider and ask how much they charge for making a low budget commercial (and at the same time ask how much it would cost to get the commercial on the air. You're client would want to know that anyway). So then, you take that figure and say to your client "you could get a piece of shit commercial for X amount of dollars. However, pay me a little bit more than that and it'll be much gooder."

Or you could just ask him what he considers an arm and a leg and charge less than that.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

you right, you right. thanks for the advice homies. he told me what he wants as the commercial, so im gonna try to do a dope job. if i do, ill show yall when its done