Lady In The Water

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Lady In The Water

Post by Philaflava »

ehhh. M Night needs to stop fucking around with these creatures he unleashes towards the end of his movies.

I feel asleep twice during this shit. Not a great film. Should have seen Clerks 2 instead.
Last edited by Philaflava on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Yeah I don't think I'm ever seeing this.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Steady decline since Unbreakable. I'll wait until this hits cable.
Last edited by Psychosis on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

i'm excited to see it.

will be checking.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

I dont' see why M Night still has peeps checking for his flicks. He's been on a steady decline since Unbreakable. As for flicks playing in this area-Brick is going to get checked out. Forget some overhyped one trick pony set for the glue factory.

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

Brick is awesome.

This shit totally sucked. I actually like The Village, but this shit was useless. I can't believe he made himself a primary character in the movie, it's so self-indulgent. Including the whole 'movie critic' side story, it's heavy handed and fucking lame.

rakesh

Post by rakesh »

^^yup, this shit sucked and ive liked every movie hes done

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The Iron Sheik wrote:Brick is awesome.

This shit totally sucked. I actually like The Village, but this shit was useless. I can't believe he made himself a primary character in the movie, it's so self-indulgent. Including the whole 'movie critic' side story, it's heavy handed and fucking lame.
It's no secret that M. Night has an ego. He casts himself in role in every film of his and he is the headliner on every promo for his films.

Still seems like a nice dude though in interviews.

What's Brick?

John Quest 0-67

Post by John Quest 0-67 »

Why does homie have to have a big ego just because he puts himself in his own movies. Its like a producer that raps and owns his own label and so on and so on.... I thought the movie was not bad but i cant put my finger on what i would call it. I definitely love fantasy movies but this one has me scratching my head.
"I scream fire at a theater, black power at a klan rally" - Kyle David of (Five Deez)

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Man this guy had one good debut. He definetly started going down hill afterwards. I really dont feel the need to go see this. I keep hearing it's like Cocoon without the old folks and original idea. Ouch.

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

Philaflava wrote:

It's no secret that M. Night has an ego. He casts himself in role in every film of his and he is the headliner on every promo for his films.

What's Brick?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/

it's a modern film noir detective movie done in that style with terminology from that period, based in a modern high school. it stars the kid from third rock from the sun and he does a great job. it's funny and gripping, overall. will probably get some oscar looks IMO

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

The Iron Sheik wrote:
Philaflava wrote:

What's Brick?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/

it's a modern film noir detective movie done in that style with terminology from that period, based in a modern high school. it stars the kid from third rock from the sun and he does a great job. it's funny and gripping, overall. will probably get some oscar looks IMO
Brick is artistic masturbation... not funny or gripping... it's stupid, confusing, not based in any sense of realism, and melodramatic... and not even that well directed or written.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Also just came from Lady in the Water... I'm too tired to point out all the problems... but there were a lot.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I gotta agree... Brick tried way too hard, and came off like a music video to me.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

heard it was hot garbage
Nets 2022

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

John Quest 0-67 wrote:Why does homie have to have a big ego just because he puts himself in his own movies.
M Night compares himself to Michael Jordan and Bob Dylan. He does this in his book and in countless interviews. There are tons of references in his movies that suggest he is one of the biggest egomaniacs on Earth. I'm pretty sure he even squeezes in a Dylan song in LITW, right? A movie which I will never, ever, ever see.

Bottom line, dude is a huge faggot

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

zzz
Last edited by Sankofa on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I am happy that this guy is failing. Get a new schtick.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

The Iron Sheik wrote:I can't believe he made himself a primary character in the movie, it's so self-indulgent.
ummmmmmmmmmm, what? this has been done a couple of times successfully. it just didn't work now because m. night made a trashy film.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

nah, not of this magnitude

other movies, he's just been in there as like, the plumber or some dude who lives across the street

in Lady In The Water, he is quite possibly the most important character in the movie

Tariq's Dilemma

Post by Tariq's Dilemma »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
The Iron Sheik wrote:I can't believe he made himself a primary character in the movie, it's so self-indulgent.
ummmmmmmmmmm, what? this has been done a couple of times successfully. it just didn't work now because m. night made a trashy film.
But M Night always SUCKS in his cameo's.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

Andvil wrote:nah, not of this magnitude

other movies, he's just been in there as like, the plumber or some dude who lives across the street

in Lady In The Water, he is quite possibly the most important character in the movie
well, i meant it's been done successfully by other people. directing and main character in a movie. however, this was a strange turn for him because of the reasons you just mentioned.

whatever though, my biased brown faith in him is waning rapidly.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

He is a fool, I left the Village thinking "HOW COULD HE CAST HIMSELF AS A PARK RANGER...AN INDIAN PARK RANGER DOES NOT EXIST!!!!"

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Andvil wrote:nah, not of this magnitude

Yes, unless you saw the movie you can't possibly understand this comment. His character was soley responsible for saving/changing the situation.

That and that film critic dude was a bit obvious in his intentions, but I don't dislike M. Night at all. Actually, he seems like a cool guy with a bit of an ego.

zpt4

Post by zpt4 »

i dont want to see this movie. The village was a travesty and this one doesnt sound good at all. All the narf and scrunt talk makes me want to take a crap.

with signs, he tripped

with the village, he fell on his face

havent seen litw, but it sounds like hes drowning in the puddle of egomania he fell into.
"the member formely known only for a short while and only by himself as the proud lurker even though he wasnt"

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

checking this tonight.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Brick is tight. I think the director fucked Sherman's girl; cause he's dissing it a little too hard. I can see thinking it's overhyped, but in no way does it suck at all. Saying the writing's bad is laughable; I'd love to see the critics on here attempt to write dialogue that witty.

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

I'll be the one who says...I loved it. Sure dont want to argue about his ego though

dmwm

Post by dmwm »

i cant believe all the negativity towards this movie. wow i wish people would lighten up and just believe in a story for a 2 hour block. I thought it was great with pretty good story telling. I didn't really like Unbreakable, Signs, or the Village, but i think this movie redeems M. Night from at LEAST the village. The best part of this movie was piecing all the parts together, only to realize things late in the movie. I actually got one out of the three correct of the ACTUAL real players that were needed at the end of the movie. Felt proud.

btw, M. Night actually demanded that he be taken out of being credited for Signs. He didnt want the movie to start off with "From the creator of Unbreakable and Sixth Sense." I don't think its up to his powers to be credited for a movie or not.
ECXC
800: 2:02
1600: 4:45
3200: 10:44
5000: 17:06

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

SPOILERS

A couple random observations about this.

It should have been a cartoon. Giant eagles, scrunts, narfs, tartoogas. Doesn't work with live action.

How fucking conceited are you that you cast yourself as the person whose words CHANGE THE WORLD? In a script that you wrote? Unfuckingbelievable.

Also, here's a filmmaker that's been getting mediocre to really bad reviews since Unbreakable. So what does he do? He kills a movie critic in his movie. How immature is M. Night that he gets so upset he goes that far.

Pretty terrible.
He didnt want the movie to start off with "From the creator of Unbreakable and Sixth Sense."
But he sure doesn't mind his movies to end with "Written, Directed, and Produced by."