Greatest Spaghetti Western's EVER...List...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

darkwingduck

Greatest Spaghetti Western's EVER...List...?

Post by darkwingduck »

O.K. I must admit, when I first made the "Samurai Greatest Ever List" Thread, I wasn't as thourough with Samurai flics as I am now...thanks to making that particular thread(Shout out to Drizzle, and StormShadow)...I have come along way in my appreciation for Chambara...Heres to that threads longevity...!!!

So now I want to get the same results with this particular style of film...Now I know the Leone movies...and they are FUGGIN ILL. I love em. Iv'e been lookin around and stumbled upon this jem...interested in checking this movie out...and many other Spaghetti Westerns...

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Django's dope, cop it. The Great Silence is fucking ill, great Kinski performance and possibly the most depressing third act of any movie ever. GREAT movie. I just watched 100 Rifles recently, which is American (stars Jim Brown, Burt Reynolds, and a smoking hot Raquel Welch), but it's pretty Spaghetti and is dope as hell.

I watched Sartana recently too, and that is quite good. I got that courtesy of Wild East, who I will now happily plug because they're awesome: http://wildeast.net/catalog1.html.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Django is indeed the shit, as is sartana and MOST DEF Grand Silencio - this is actually much more than just a western. Wild East gets mad love, i own like half their shit. They put out some great obscure and not so obscure

To start, a good rule is get anything with Lee Van Cliff, you can't miss with those. The best one of his would prob be the Big Gundown, xploited cinema sells the most complete version of it for fairly cheap and no region coding, that might be something to look into. Wild east actually has a damn solid double feature dvd for him, you might want to check that also

Some others to check out:

personal fave, Klaus playing a good guy priest :naswtf:, some other great actors here in general, not your standart 'guy rides into plot' scenario either

Milian does an excellet job as a knife throwing bandit, tone of the movie is a bit on the lighter side in general

this is generally referred to as the 'existential' and 'psychadelic' western, which really means they used some cool camera tricks

Milian again acts his ass off as the bad guy. This is kindof contravercial in the sence that there no clear hero really, and its very unusual plotwise. I'm a big fan, it's really different from what your standart spaghetti is all about. Notorious for being gory

retardedly dark in tone and very noticibly influenced by giallo (super stylized euro horror)

solid trilogy, 1 and 3 starring Lee van cliff and 2 starring yul brynner. 1&2 are excellent, 3 is ok. Generally pretty light in tone and action packed. The boxset came out recently for mad cheap, and it's very well put together

not technically a spaghetti since it's made in mexico, but tons of fun regardless. Dir by mexican legendary exploitation auteur Rene Cordoba who had a taste for trying different genres - this is his take on the SW. Not the greatest by any means, but very entertaining, fairly by the numbers so all the elements you look for are here, and easy to find since it was released on dvd recently.

this is just off the dome, i'll check what i have at home and prob add one or two more
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

whats up with this list...? would you agree with it?

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index. ... p_20_Films

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Link isn't working for me.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

worked for me, so i'll put it in here so certain lameasses can comment also

01. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (468 points)
02. Once Upon a Time in the West (395 points)
03. For a Few Dollars More (390 points)
04. A Fistful of Dollars (269 points)
05. The Great Silence (262 points)
06. The Big Gundown (175 points)
07. Django (159 points)
08. The Mercenary (123 points)
09. Companeros (118 points)
10. Death Rides a Horse (105 points)
11. A Bullet for the General (94 points)
12. A Fistful of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker! (88 points)
13. Face to Face (80 points)
14. My Name is Nobody (64 points)
15. Django, Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (47 points)
16. Sabata (42 points)
17. Cemetery without Crosses (40 points)
18. Keoma (37 points)
19. Day of Anger (35 points)
20. Run, Man, Run (33 points)

very decent list, although some of those are very hard to get a hold of

I've seen 17 and i'll easily recomment 16 of those. Not a big fan of Django kill at all, shit's brokeback spaghetti. Seriously the most homoerotic thing i've ever seen in my life

Seems to be missing some Sartana, and a little pro-Lee Van Cliff, which is not a bad thing. I'd trade one of the van cliffs on there for Four of the Apocalypse though

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Personally I wouldn't have Death Rides a Horse so high. But then, I've seen less of these than Drizzle. Think I've seen like 10 of those. Own maybe another three.

Seems like an alright list though.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Thread is all kinds of awesome.

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

drizzle wrote:17. Cemetery without Crosses (40 points)
obscure as hell but a great find if you can manage it
Hemingway Novel Model

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Funky Butler wrote:
drizzle wrote:17. Cemetery without Crosses (40 points)
obscure as hell but a great find if you can manage it
this is the only one on the list i've never heard of, def gonna look it up

darkwing, it occurs to me that there's an easier way for you to get aquainted with some of the essential shit, just get the Once Upon a Time in italy boxset - it's actually very easy to find, i see it all the time:

3 of the ones on that list are in this, plus one that i thought should be on the list. For some reason they're a bitch to find individually but the boxset is in every best buy

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Yeah, I bought that Once Upon a Time in Italy set recently myself. DDD was having a hotfire controlled burn of a deal and I bought that and got a Herzog boxset free. Anyway, anybody seen A Reason to Live, A Reason to Die? Telly Savalas and Coburn. It's Wild East's newest release. Looks awesome. Dirty Dozen during the civil war? Fuck yeah.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

I just watched this flick...def not better than Fistful of Dollars...I dont see why this was in the top five from that list...anyone fucking with this flick...?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

darkwingduck wrote:Image

I just watched this flick...def not better than Fistful of Dollars...I dont see why this was in the top five from that list...anyone fucking with this flick...?
Arguibly teh best one out of all of them, i'm always torn between this (a better movie) and GBU(more entertaining). I can see how you'd be turned off by it though, it's a slow burner which a big turn around from the dollars trilogy. I'd say watch it again down the line after you've checked some other stuff, you'll probably appreciate it more. It's really on a whole another level from everything on that list.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
drizzle wrote:Arguibly teh best one out of all of them, i'm always torn between this (a better movie) and GBU(more entertaining). I can see how you'd be turned off by it though, it's a slow burner which a big turn around from the dollars trilogy. I'd say watch it again down the line after you've checked some other stuff, you'll probably appreciate it more. It's really on a whole another level from everything on that list.
after a few days of thinking about this movie, it has kind of grown on me. Def. a movie to re:visit in a month or so. It looks beautiful and the twisting plots between characters reminds me of some really good samurai flics...

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

...In the West is dope dope dope. Gotta be a top five at the least.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

StormShadow wrote:...In the West is dope dope dope. Gotta be a top five at the least.
stormdogggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!

you in ireland yet?

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Yeah, been here a couple days now, got my internet working late last night.

No more torrents for me, dog :cry: :cry: :cry: They got some kinda bullshit that put an end to my fun.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

StormShadow wrote:Yeah, been here a couple days now, got my internet working late last night.

No more torrents for me, dog :cry: :cry: :cry: They got some kinda bullshit that put an end to my fun.
gay

on the bright side, now you can get it on all the reg2 action that doesn't even make it here, all those HK Legends titles for instance. One thing i noticed while in europe - they have all the stuff on dvd that we pray would come out here, and yet some how don't have any of the discount low quality garbage that we get.

i hope you're having fun man

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Haha, I actually already went out and bought two HK Legends already.

I got Bullet in the Head 2 disc, and Twinkle Twinkle My Lucky Stars (never seen any of the Lucky Stars, figured I'd try it, not knowing any better I bought part 3, doh). Planning on buying The Killer, Project A two disc, Armor of God two disc, Wheels on Meals two disc, and replacing my copies of Tiger on Beat and Dragons Forever.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i want the dragons forever one BAD

get legend of the fighter too if you don't have it yet

the wheels on meals and the whole batch of lucky stars ones is kind of hit or miss, a lot of broad slapstick and not very badass. When they do their thing though, its pretty amazing

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I don't even think I've heard of Legend of the Fighter. I'll have to check that out for sure.

Masters of Cinema's Shoeshine comes out Monday :rockout: :rockout:

Oh yeah, bought this too:

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

I have $50 to spend on Amazon that Im trying to spend all on westerns. I'm already coppin Proposition and Django. If ya'll had to reccomned one or two of these for someone who enjoyed the two previously mentioned movies, but isn't really knowledgable on spaghetti westerns, which ones would you suggest?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

it think with proposition and django, you're gonna have enough left over for 1 more

do you have any idea what that person already has?

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I think he means for himself.

Well first things first man, go to Target and buy Once Upon a Time in the West for a mere 7.50. Then, I dunno, assuming you haven't seen it, buy Good the Bad and the Ugly from Amazon. Or, if you've seen that, cop The Great Silence.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^^^that's about right

what i was going for is that if you only buy one, buy Teh Good Teh bad and The Ugly in the big white box

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Ah yeah, forgot to mention, but yes, get the special edition big white box version. It's the only way to ride.

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

Thanks guys. I will take your advice. I could probably get both Great Silence and GBU if I get them used Django is only about $11

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

StormShadow wrote:The Great Silence is fucking ill, great Kinski performance and possibly the most depressing third act of any movie ever. GREAT movie.
Just watched this...and yes, this movie is ILLmatic. The end scene is what I expect to see but never do. This fim delivers. Dope rec. Thanks. Now im gonna start picking off more of these flics off...

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Man I still feel kind of lucky to have seen the Great Silence. I'd never heard of it before and I just kind of stumbled across the dvd one day. I knew I liked Klaus Kinski and I knew I liked the like six italian westerns I'd seen, but I wasn't exactly a spaghetti fan at that point. So yeah, totally just bought it on a whim, took it home and loved it. Very glad I did.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

haven't watched that one in a while but yeah, that's the shit right there. possibly the best non-leone SW out there