Greatest Spaghetti Western's EVER...List...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

YESYESYES

there's actually a lot of good grindhouse things ocming up in the next few monts i think
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

drizzle wrote:there's actually a lot of good grindhouse things ocming up in the next few monts i think
please direct me towards some information regarding these GH releases and dates pahlease thank you.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

There are a ton of GH related releases scheduled this year, dw.

Don't really want to derail this lovely thread by talking about them here but check the last few pages of the Potential Movie Purchases/ Viewings sticky to get a brief idea.

Incidentally I can't find the old grindhouse movies thread from a few years back, might be time for a new one.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

not a bad idea at all

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ready when you are, drizz. :megaman:

ric

Post by ric »

Once Upon a Time in the West is possibly the most overrated movie of all time.

no mystique. no tension. no code. no reason to give a shit. the sets and props look/feel like garbage. the acting is a snooze. movie seemed to me like leone trying to recycle and americanize whats really good, and he loses the punch in the process.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:rofl:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have opinions.

Can't wait to pick up the new OUATITW bluray.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

20th June UK release.

Any good?
Last edited by Spartan on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

holey shit how have i never heard of it witha that cast

jesuse the reviews for this are off the charts. seems like a must buy

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Would cop off that poster art alone.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Trailer looks good.

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6Nyq8UnKUg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6Nyq8UnKUg?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I'll probably cop. Hopefully the picture quality is good. Bought the big gun down a while back and it was unwatchable.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Been tempted by this one for a while now...only $7 on amazon right now...supposedly the films are pretty average though

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the only good proper complete version of Big Gundown is that fanmade cut that went around the nets a few years ago.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Image
GETTING!!!
drizzle wrote:the only good proper complete version of Big Gundown is that fanmade cut that went around the nets a few years ago.
yeah, got my copy from that dvdexploitation site before it went bunk.

any and all SG westerns are getting copped on BR.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I hate myself for not grabbing a lot of the early Wild East dvd's when they were still in print, fucking things are going for so much money on amazon it makes me sick to my stomach. For some reason I have a hard time spending $20 on a dvd release, even though they are mostly great prints of pretty rare films. Funny cause I'll blow retarded amounts of money on Criterions whenever they get in the same price range. Would love to own Matalo and Gentleman Killer.'

Anyways, upcoming release seems like a must buy

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

if ur ever in ny kims is stocked pretty well with wild east swag

totally forgot face to face was a reg2, i keep wondering why it's not out yet :fail:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Spartan wrote:Looks like there's a new book for me to check out.
http://www.fabpress.com/vsearch.php?CO=FAB105

THE EURO-WESTERN BEYOND LEONE

The success of Sergio Leone's 'Dollars' trilogy in the '60s sparked a gold rush, as a legion of European film-makers - many of them sharing the get-rich-quick mentality of Leone's mercenary anti-heroes - followed the master's lead to create some of the wildest Westerns ever made.

Cynical and stylish, bloody and baroque, Euro-westerns replaced straight-shooting sheriffs and courageous cowboys with amoral adventurers, whose murderous methods would shock the heroes of Hollywood Westerns. These films became box-office sensations around the world, and their influence can still be felt today.

Any Gun Can Play puts the phenomenon into perspective, exploring the films' wider reaches, their recurrent themes, characters, quirks and motifs. It examines Euro-westerns in relation to their American ancestors and the mechanics of the Italian popular film industry, and spotlights the unsung actors, directors and other artists who subverted the 'code' of the Western and dragged it into the modern age.

Based on years of research backed up by interviews with many of the genre's leading lights, including actors Franco Nero, Giuliano Gemma and Gianni Garko, writer Sergio Donati, and directors Sergio Sollima and Giuliano Carnimeo, Any Gun Can Play will satisfy both connoisseurs and the curious.

Complete with a foreword by Euro-Western legend Franco Nero, this stunningly illustrated reference guide takes aim at the lingering notion that the genre has little to offer beyond the 'Dollars' films and a fistful of others, exposing the full, vibrant history of the Euro-western.

CONTENTS:

FOREWORD
By Euro-western legend Franco Nero, star of Django, A Professional Gun and Keoma, among others.

INTRODUCTION
An overview of Euro-westerns, their origins and characteristics, plus the major professionals whose careers they launched, prolonged or transformed.

TARGET PRACTICE
Early Euro-westerns were hit-and-miss affairs, but A Fistful of Dollars is not the only film from the genre's formative period worthy of recognition.

A BULLET SPENT, A DOLLAR EARNED
In the wake of For a Few Dollars More, the genre matured and broadened its horizons, presenting a misanthropic world-view, leavened with irony, that perfectly matched the tenor of the times.

RELATIVES AND RELIGION
Many Italian Westerns skewed their stories towards the home market, serving up stereotypical stories of troublesome females, feuding families and a satirical or critical treatment of religion.

'GOD FORGIVES... I DON'T!'
Euro-westerns posit a world where betrayal is rife and violence ever-present, taking the theme of revenge to extraordinary extremes.

'DON'T BUY BREAD, BUY DYNAMITE'
Euro-westerns were unashamedly populist, and many of them adopted a left-wing stance in the late Sixties, reflecting the influence of radical film-makers and the political atmosphere of the times.

BEWARE OF FAKE GUNS
While American Westerns had Jesse James, Wyatt Earp and Billy the Kid, European film-makers invented a pantheon of their own, populated by the likes of Django, Ringo, Sabata, Sartana and Trinity.

COWBOYS, COMEDIANS AND KUNG FU STARS
Many Euro-westerns were hybrids not just of cultural traditions and film-making styles, but also tones, subjects and settings, with elements such as mystery, comedy, horror and martial arts not uncommon.

DESOLATION AND DECONSTRUCTION
The genre burned brightly but briefly, and by the early Seventies it was in decline. This chapter examines what these latecomers have to offer, and whether they have been dismissed too lightly.

WHO'S WHO IN EURO-WESTERNS
A biographical A-Z of the most important and prolific actors, directors, composers, etc.

EURO-WESTERN FILMOGRAPHY
A chronological listing of European Westerns.

About the author
Kevin Grant is a freelance journalist and film writer with a passion for perfectly crafted genre pieces, particularly Continental and Oriental productions. A fan of American westerns since childhood, he was led astray at an early age by the irreverent interpretations of Sergio Leone, whose radical visions placed him - and certain of his European contemporaries - alongside the likes of Peckinpah and Mann in the pantheon of maverick directors of westerns. He has contributed reviews and articles to a range of film publications including the Euro-western journal Blood, Money and Vengeance, European Trash Cinema, Delirium, Flesh & Blood and Hotdog. Any Gun Can Play is his first book.

Foreword by Franco Nero
As the alter ego of Django and Keoma, Franco Nero's iconic status among Euro-western aficionados is second to none. He gave vigorous performances in more than a dozen westerns in all, and he remains an impassioned ambassador for the genre. One of relatively few Italian actors to make an impact on a global scale, he has appeared in more than 120 films since his breakthrough in the mid-Sixties, alternating starring roles in popular movies with character turns in more prestigious productions. A frequent collaborator of Sergio Corbucci and Enzo Castellari, he has also worked with Luis Bunuel, Claude Chabrol, Elio Petri and John Huston, and has written, produced and directed for the screen.
Picked this book up relatively cheap and I can already tell I'm falling for it. Only read the enlightening Franco Nero forward and skimmed the pages and it looks glorious. Can't wait to get stuck in.

Interesting, there's a small description about Django The Bastard, "filmed like a horror movie". Gonna have to hunt that movie down.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Django the Bastard aka Stranger's Gundown is pretty great, just copped it last year.
Clear influence one Eastwoods' High Plains Drifter.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

seems pop and it's selling for silly money.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

You can get used Region 1 copies for cheap still
http://www.amazon.com/Strangers-Gundown ... 525&sr=1-1

If you want I can upload it for you next week sometime (i'd do it now but i'm heading out the door to go snowboarding for the weekend)

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

nah but thanks anyway. i'll probably cop a used copy somewhere.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL is getting the BLU-RAY treatment. Release some time in MAY. i hope blue underground release all their other SW on BR.

:rockout:

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

this too...

aleph

Post by aleph »

http://www.filmforum.org/pdf/ff2_cal95_FINAL.pdf

Looks like your basic primer on SWs, I think everything in the program was cited on this thread. What's can't-miss on a big screen?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

aleph wrote:http://www.filmforum.org/pdf/ff2_cal95_FINAL.pdf

Looks like your basic primer on SWs, I think everything in the program was cited on this thread. What's can't-miss on a big screen?
seems a little deeper than a primer actually, there are a few rarities. that's what i'm mostly concentrating on. i've seen and own the bulk of these, so even thought i'd like to see all of them i'm probably gonna end up skipping the really obvious ones.

all the leones are a priority if you've never seen them on the big screen. even if you've seen them a 100 times on tv, they're still worthwhile to see in the theater

aleph

Post by aleph »

drizzle wrote:seems a little deeper than a primer actually, there are a few rarities. that's what i'm mostly concentrating on. i've seen and own the bulk of these, so even thought i'd like to see all of them i'm probably gonna end up skipping the really obvious ones.

all the leones are a priority if you've never seen them on the big screen. even if you've seen them a 100 times on tv, they're still worthwhile to see in the theater
True, if OUATITW isn't seen big it's almost saying you haven't seen it. By rarities you mean the US premiere versions? Or others?

darkwingduck

Re: Greatest Spaghetti Western's EVER...List...?

Post by darkwingduck »

HUGE NEWS...!!!!

"The restored German re-release of The Big Gundown can be pre-ordered. It is a combo of DVD & BluRay. A must own." - Spagetti Western Database SWDB.

mild bummer, not release date on US copies yet, but obviously its gonna be just around the corner!!!

darkwingduck

Re:

Post by darkwingduck »

Spartan wrote:Looks like there's a new book for me to check out.
http://www.fabpress.com/vsearch.php?CO=FAB105

just picked this book up. def. a must own.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Re: Greatest Spaghetti Western's EVER...List...?

Post by drizzle »

fyi there's a new supercheap steelbook boxset out right now, it has about 10-12 titles and at least 3/4 have kinski in them, likely playing a villain. and all the ones with him in it are widescreen. don't know shit else about it but for around 10-12 it seems like a solid blind buy. at least 2-3 of those gotta be decent enough