28 Weeks Later was actually pretty good...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

28 Weeks Later was actually pretty good...

Post by Smooth Lou »

Hey.

Just played hooky to catch 28 Weeks Later and was pleasantly surprised. No spoilers, but there was some lameness toward the end and the janky camera shit is SOOO 1999 that it was pretty annoying to watch, but the themes, the acting and the story were all really good.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first one, preferred Dawn of the Dead 2004 to it, frankly, but this one has a lot to like.

Who's seen it?

citizen

Post by citizen »

i will catch it eventually

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

got horrible reviews. i will see it anyways.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

citizen wrote:i will catch it eventually

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Philaflava wrote:got horrible reviews. i will see it anyways.
I notice that you said the same about Grindhouse, but RottenTomatoes puts both as having solid to above average reviews (This one had a 73% this morning, with 80+% from the top-tier reviewers).

Where are you getting your reviews from?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Smooth Lou wrote:
I notice that you said the same about Grindhouse, but RottenTomatoes puts both as having solid to above average reviews (This one had a 73% this morning, with 80+% from the top-tier reviewers).

You're right I'm just making this shit up. It's not possible those movies you mentioned would get bad reviews. ET, E!, Ebert, the three 3's is where I get my quick movie review.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Smooth Lou wrote:

I noticed this too.

I might check this one out .. really liked the first one. I was unsure about the new director, but the reviews are solid.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Philaflava wrote:
Smooth Lou wrote:

You're right I'm just making this shit up. It's not possible those movies you mentioned would get bad reviews. ET, E!, Ebert, the three 3's is where I get my quick movie review.
Well, I'm not saying that you're making it up, I'm just curious. Plus, you're only down to two E's these days. :cry:

Also, while EOnline's reviewer (whom I've never heard of btw) gave it a bad review, but Entertainment Weekly, the print publication has Lisa Schwarzbaum giving it a B+ and the other top tier reviewer Owen Gleiberman says "28 Weeks Later excels at creating a keen, creepy sense of a civilization stopped dead in its tracks."

All I'm saying is, trusting a website's reviews will never give you the full sense of context unless it is from the same person. Gleiberman and Schwarzbaum have been the big reviewers for EW for nearly a decade, and trusting whoever is doing EOnline's review is like checking for whoever has been filling in for Ebert's website reviews.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Lou, just cuz something got a bad review doesn't mean I won't watch it. I don't know if you recall but Jizzy, rstennett (check his sig) and myself were the biggest "28 Days Later" fans on this site. There is no way I won't watch this, but the review I read today (maybe it was on CNN) said it wasn't so hot.

Reviews mean shit.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

The chilling zombie movie 28 Days Later from director Danny Boyle turned out to be an instant cult classic in 2002. The sequel, 28 Weeks Later, warns A.O. Scott in the New York Times, is "not for the faint of heart or the weak of stomach." Nevertheless, he argues, it is "bracingly smart, both in its ideas and in its techniques." Jack Mathews in the New York Daily News deems Later "an even happier surprise than the original" with "a stronger story line, equally fine performances, greater tension, enough gore to satisfy the most hard-core zombie fan, and a narrative pace that flings us from the opening scenes to the very last image." Michael Phillips in the Chicago Tribune agrees that the movie "exceeds its predecessor ... in every way." Several critics point to analogies to the war in Iraq, as British authorities are depicted trying to prevent their country from being overtaken by zombies. Lou Lumenick in the New York Post concludes his review by remarking, "Whether you agree with its politics or not, 28 Weeks Later is proof that summer movies don't have to be like an army of mindless zombies." And Carina Chocano in the Los Angeles Times comments, "The director's message is less overtly political than it is allegorical -- that chaos breeds chaos and that force only serves to amplify it." Which may be a political statement in its own right.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

i will rent this and will probably like it.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Saw it last night, liked it. Basically everything Lou said. The whole movie is pretty predictable about 15 minutes in. They do a second kind of post-script ending in case the fundamentally retarded don't get the ending, that was kinda wack. Overall though, I liked this. It did, however, remind me of how much I preferred Shaun of the Dead to the first one though.

Guun

Post by Guun »

saw it tonight.. was skeptical at first but after that first scene of dude running away from the house i knew it was gonna be good.. real intense at points..

4/5

admiral

Post by admiral »

loved it

the apocalyptic and nihilistic vibes were great - stringer bell was awesome as well, even though he didn't have a big part. that scene in the subway at the end was :ohsh:

i also really dug how there were no redeeming qualities to robert carlyle's character. he was a pussy at the beginning, and he was a pussy up until he turned.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

I watched this today. I loved it. I actually think this maybe better than the first movie?

Great set pieces. From minute one my heart was racing, the opening scene was just fucking brutal. Great stuff.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

movie was tight. they tried to make it a bit different from the first one. The dad was a good character, you could just picture him sayin "fuck it ima live". Obviously there are a lot of stupid moves made, by characters & by the army, but is that really that implausable?
That sister was a cutie pie too, is she a well known actress? Also, I liked how they had that little clip of
paris
at the end. obv it was gonna happen cause of that damn kid, but i woulda left unsatisfied if that part wasn't in there. Overall the first movie was better, this one was good, & I wouldn't mind seeing number 3.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

I loved part one all the way up until the last 20 minutes or so, and I'm still wondering if anyone can explain how Cillian Murphy is in the forest and is running around with the zombies everywhere and none of them tries to kill him. That just doesn't make any god damn sense to me and really took me out of the movie.

This second one bothered me where
SPOILERS wrote:The dad catches the kids in the subway. Of all the nooks and crannies in all of london, they had to wander into his? C'mon. It would have been even doper if it was just a random stranger who took them down. Would have been as or even more tragic.
Other than that though, this movie was really top notch. Watched it again yesterday with some friends. They didn't like it as much as I did, but then again, they're not too keen on horror movies.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

so glad all the reviews here have been positive. i can't wait to see this.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Philaflava wrote:so glad all the reviews here have been positive. i can't wait to see this.
Philaflava wrote:Reviews mean shit
:ohsh:

:headasplode:

Go watch the movie already! I wanna talk about it more!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ I meant rag mag reviews meant shit. I value your opinion, well some of you. But Jizzy sealed the deal.

I will be going to see this after Sopranos.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

ya i'm seein this tonight. i'm excited.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i hype myself up for movies by reading the bad reviews on rotten tomatoes
it makes the movie seem better
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:i hype myself up for movies by reading the bad reviews on rotten tomatoes
it makes the movie seem better
I thought I was the only one! It gives me a better perspective on the whole experience.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

saw it with the notion it was gonna be better than the first one (thanks jizzy). it wasn't. it was definitely more crazy but not better overall. like people mentioned the ending was a little underwhelming but i'd like to know how the helicopter crashed and if the boy was totally responsible for the outbreak now in Paris.

I will see the 3rd movie. this one was good, but not better than the original IMO.

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

Saw it, loved it.... Pleasingly brutal in a non over the top way. There were girls in the cinema audibly whimpering, which i liked.

I felt Bobby Carlyle was a little wasted but i did like the fact he didn't 'go hero'

I assume the sniper was played by this Stringer bloke that someone mentioned? He was dope, can't think what i've seen him in before? Was it another horror-ish movie?

High points for me were the 'thumbs in eyes' bit and the 'chopper chopping' bit. The majority of the film was all shot within about 20 mins walk from my gaff, which was cool.

Have to say though, I'm still not sure if these qualify as 'Zombie' movies? Zombies, for me, are a specific kinda horror beastie. They're slow, quiet and are relativley easy to deal with if they're not en mass, know-wot-i-mean?

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

jimmy78 wrote: Have to say though, I'm still not sure if these qualify as 'Zombie' movies? Zombies, for me, are a specific kinda horror beastie. They're slow, quiet and are relativley easy to deal with if they're not en mass, know-wot-i-mean?
Good point. Danny Boyle had mentioned that he did not want 28 Days Later to be considered a "zombie" film as the bad guys were actually still alive. For instance, they can be shot in the heart and die, instead of just removing the head or destroying the brain, and they turn to zombies instantaneously instead of over the course of a few hours.

The helicopter slicing was very dope, and was the helicopter pilot Michael from Lost? If so, how does it factor in to the Lost storyline? :lol:

Also, in regards to your question :phila: ,
spoiler wrote:it was probably fairly simple for the infected boy to either have his tears wiped away by his sister who then wiped at her own tears, or possibly they could have shared a kiss which isn't too uncommon (not making out obviously, but still saliva could have been spread) or even more simply, someone could have touched the wound and the blood could have gotten into their bodies that way.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

liked it a lot but not more than the first.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

we had the day off in boise today so pretty much spent the day at the movies. saw spider man 3 which was so bad it was funny and then a late night showing of 28 weeks later. it was pretty fucking good. i really have no complaints. i was glad to see michael from lost was still working

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Smooth Lou wrote: and was the helicopter pilot Michael from Lost? If so, how does it factor in to the Lost storyline? :lol:

Lost is kinda fucked right now. Him and Walt bouncing happened so they could accommodate him wanting to be in movies. They tried to get him back for the finale in two weeks, but he wouldn't do it. They're currently trying to work on a contract with him for next year.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

PopeyeJones wrote:They tried to get him back for the finale in two weeks, but he wouldn't do it. They're currently trying to work on a contract with him for next year.
i'm hoping we are surprised.