BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Dan

Re: BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Post by Dan »

That Public Enemy book was really good. I had heard that Terminator X didn't do all the scratching on the albums, but this book went into detail on who did what and who should've gotten credit for things they weren't credited for. Great insight into one of the greatest Hip Hop groups of all-time.

Next up is Red: A Baseball Life by Red Schoendienst. Several years ago I went on an eBay shopping spree buying a bunch of baseball books. Still haven't read any of them. Figured with the Cardinals going to the World Series this should be the one I start with. The book came out 15 years ago, Red's 53rd year in baseball. Fifteen years later, at the age of 90 Red is still a part of the Cardinals organization, dressing in uniform, hitting fungos to the infielders during batting practice.

One of my favorite autograph experiences was the day I met Red 20 years ago, which I wrote about here, http://dailyautograph.tumblr.com/post/6 ... hoendienst

phil connors

Post by phil connors »

Definitely going to check out that Public Enemy book.

Just got into this.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Yesterday I finished Michael Moore's Dude, Where's My Country?. It's a dated book since it's primarily about getting President George W. Bush out of office before his upcoming re-election campaign.
Book was amusing. I got it for Christmas the year it came out and never touched it. Now I'm just picking random books off my shelf and reading them. I've read 7 books this month. I can honestly say I've probably never read more than 3 books in a single year. New hobby for me, I suppose.

Today, I started It's Not Easy Bein' Me: A Lifetime of No Respect but Plenty of Sex and Drugs by Rodney Dangerfield.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Currently reading this and very much enjoying it:

Tons of salacious gossip, trash-talking and details about the pictures he was trying to finance during the last 5 - 10 years of his life.

SlackerRap

Post by SlackerRap »

I'm 100 pages from the finish of Infinite Jest. If you've been where I am you know what it took to get here.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah big kudos my fellow mc i'm 14 into this ill sixteen right now doing some big shit on it smoke smoke
moved by duck muscles

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

just finished this the other day...some wild shit. definitely recommended..quick and easy read, but quite enlightening.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

picked this up and have been totally geeking the fuck out
gorgeous and thorough. only wish i understood spanish better so I could read his handwritten notes

while I was at B&N I also looked at the new Wes Anderson/Matt Zoller Seitz book, I'm not even that big of a WA fan, but might pick it up later. Really impressive book.

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

Almost finished it. Great stuff so far.

Half way through it. I think it may be better than The Black Swan.

alpha

Post by alpha »

anyone read "ready player one" ? thinking about picking it up

I know I can't be the only person who read Mike's long awaited autobiography here....

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ How is it? Is it written in the way Mike talks, or did some boring ghostwriter neuter it?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Definitely the former because I've been reading it in Mike's lisp in my head.

Ghostwritten by duuk behind the Howard Stern and RHCP singer's autobiographies.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Just finished this. Pretty good take on why certain things go viral on the internet.

alpha

Post by alpha »

alpha wrote:anyone read "ready player one" ? thinking about picking it up
Ran through it in a couple days. Definetly a super fun read

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Just started The Devil all the Time. Read the first part today. Pretty fucking trill.

Over this semester I read Raw Shark Texts, Ask The Dust, Inherent Vice and Fortress of Solitude (second Lethem book I read this year, Motherless Brooklyn being the first). Really got into reading fiction again this year and this thread definitely helped.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

READY PLAYER ONE.

so far so good.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

phil connors wrote: Just got into this.

How was this?

alpha

Post by alpha »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Just started The Devil all the Time. Read the first part today. Pretty fucking trill.

Over this semester I read Raw Shark Texts, Ask The Dust, Inherent Vice and Fortress of Solitude (second Lethem book I read this year, Motherless Brooklyn being the first). Really got into reading fiction again this year and this thread definitely helped.
Raw shark texts was super fun. Randomly picked it up one day and was super happy I did.

Kid That's Lifeless

Have about 70 pages left in Naked Lunch that I'm gonna finish today. Book is... something.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Just finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Gets a little too self-indulgent with the Jane Austenish social satire in the first half, but aside from that it was crack. A very fast read, considering it's like 800+ pages. One of the most original takes on fantasy I've ever read, even the GOT books feel conceptually cliched by comparison.

Gonna ride the speculative history/fantasy wave and check out Tim Powers' Declare. I'm insanely intrigued by it's LeCarre X Lovecraft description. The idea of some moldy-sweatered Smiley type trying to match wits with some mystical evil colored gas is too bonerrerific for words
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

thablend

Post by thablend »

Enders game (Orson Scott Card), just finished reading it - illllll story throughout , tho the stuff with the sisters political movement could be edited out witout affectin the plot a whole lot (i'd rather it was tbh) only just realized its been made into a film this year, anyone seen it? Any good?

I just started "The Forever war" (Joe Haldeman) which is kinda dope so far, similar in many ways to EG with the army training in space shit..

Also , recently been reading some books by Oliver Sacks (lol) , "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" being the most famous, fucking interesting stuff , if your into psyco/neurological anomalies.

One more I read this year - Siberian Education (Nicolai Lilin) : semi-fictional/biographical "novel" - mad insightful glimpse into the siberian mafia ,old and new generations . well worth checkin out. i think also this has been made into a film this year but not seen it.

And "Room" by Emma Donoghue ... page turner for sure,rinsed that entire novel in about 6 hours. Good yet irritating read. But the irritation is kind of relevant to the subject i guess

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

thablend wrote:Enders game (Orson Scott Card), just finished reading it - illllll story throughout , tho the stuff with the sisters political movement could be edited out witout affectin the plot a whole lot (i'd rather it was tbh) only just realized its been made into a film this year, anyone seen it? Any good?
Read it two years ago. Never understood the hype. Didn't watch the movie either because Orson Scott Card's a massive homophobe.
thablend wrote:I just started "The Forever war" (Joe Haldeman) which is kinda dope so far, similar in many ways to EG with the army training in space shit..
I didn't read the book, but I read the comic based on it. I thought it was quite good. I might have to look through the book at some point. if you want to see my review of the comic, click on my blog (it's in my sig).

Starship troopers is a classic book. I've re-read it multiple times.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kid That's Lifeless

Finished American Tabloid. Jesus fucking Christ. So ill.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Just got done reading the Johnny Rotten autobiography. It was hilarious. I couldn't turn away from it.

I'm now reading the Kurt Cobain biography by Charles Cross. It's been pretty interesting so far.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Just started The Devil all the Time. Read the first part today. Pretty fucking trill.
This looks fucking awesome. Copped.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

Just finished Going Clear by Lawrence Wright. Really interesting read about Scientology. 'Bout to get into that Questlove joint as well as the new Pynchon.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:
This looks fucking awesome. Copped.

Finished this in a few days. Really dug it. Also finished

and loved it

thablend

Post by thablend »

Sup ChaMerZ

I had never even heard of enders game before i read it , so i guess i had no high expectactions. I really liked the writing style. The twist in the plot was cool and all, but to me it was the highly logical observations, thoughts and actions of the main characters that made it a great read. Solving all those problems / games , going through the process in that way. The deeper points of the story i really wasnt too engrossed with on that one.

I think if i had heard a lot of hype about it beforehand , it may have been less enjoyable to read. Starship troopers - i really need to re-read that one. I liked the film when i saw it a while back, but i recall finding novels by Heinlein to be hindered by the dialog between the characters. They seemed to come across corny and dated ,especially with the humour and that. But I do remember enjoying some short stories by the same author which had less of that.

Its been a while since i picked up one of his novels i'll have to give it another shot soon. Got a whole bookcase of scifi paperbacks that need attention.

I havnt finished reading The Forever War yet - got distracted by some dvds. but when i finish it ill read your review of the comic for sure , itd be even better to read the comic before. Is it available as an E-Book?

Nice one man

O word id like to read Johnny Rottens Biog. Ill look out for it man.

I tell you a good read also, if you see it - Paranoid: Black Days With Sabbath & Other Horror Stories by Mick Wall. Mad dark and funny at the same time in a somewhat self deprecating style. Its actually more of a biography of the author rather than a book about Black Sabbath.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

^^ I have the comics on an external (they're cbr files). I'd upload them for you, but my external is a bit hard to reach right now. I'll do it on the weekend. Bump this thread or PM me (preferably) to remind me.

Heinlein is hit or miss with me. I really liked Starship Troopers, and I also enjoyed his short stories as well (I remember reading Waldo & Magic Inc). However, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (Heinlein's magnum opus apparently) was a tough read for me and I never got to finish it. I also know of somebody who was reading Stranger in a Strange Land and they had to park it for a while because it was becoming tedious. I don't know.

I finished reading Kurt Cobain's autobiography. Apparently Charles Cross was sloppy with the last part of the book (i.e. presenting mere speculation as fact when in fact nobody knew of Kurt's last moments) but I found the book fun to read regardless.

I was going to start reading Don Lett's autobiography, but I'll read the Mick Wall book first. Good drop.