BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ric

Re: BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Post by ric »

underboss sammy gravanos life in the mob
i really love this true crime mafia shit. when somebody gives operational details even broad or minor details in how to do a bunch of shit without getting caught or you know how to influence the people around you to do what you want them to do basically using things like loyalty and respect etc etc. i mean thats interesting stuff. and one cool thing about this book is that the author is straight up quoting sammy from his interviews and you can almost hear his voice saying like 'we did this. when xyz thing happened i was like this. then i said to so and so blah blah blah' etc etc etc

ric

Post by ric »

Badass Ultimate death match by Ben thompson
Kinda sweet but ultimately disappointing. Cool stories. But seriously like 66%+ of the time 80% of the page is filled with repetitive descriptive bs. I mean like whole half page paragraphs filled with two salient fact phrases. Possibly self published. And that's an obvious potential downside of that.

Tribe: on homecoming and belonging by sebastian junger
First heard of this guy as radio interviewee war correspondent. Great voice. Cool perspective. Cool topic. I don't agree with everything that's in here but there are some cool as fuck lessons and ideas in here. Like: early american colonists had rescued 'captives' from Indian tribes who would then try to get back to the tribes to live with them and be in the tribe. Fucking cool. To reiterate white settlers were kidnapped and held captive by the tribe. The white soldiers steal the captives back. The captives then try to return to the tribe because fuck western society. Kinda short for how deep the content can go but still cool.

Thrawn by Timothy zahn
Star wars shit. I'm not a huge star wars dude but this character Thrawn is bomb. And this book while not totally amazing is so much better than most other science fiction shit. Like so much better. And it's not jam packed with too much star wars shit that non-fans will be turned off by it. It's relatable and not super pg bullshit. the downside here is that it could have been so much more. not to say that its totally disappointing cause its not its sweet.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

http://www.kamerabooks.co.uk/index1.php ... 0857301758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Copped this book on The Prisoner by Alex Cox (yes, Repo Man and Sid & Nancy Alex Cox.)

Cox basically goes back and works out the order the episodes were recorded in/Patrick McGoohan intended them to be broadcast, analyses each episode in forensic detail, and comes up with a ridiculous yet highly plausible theory to what the show means.

Cox = officially the G.O.A.T Scouser now Pete Burns is dead.

ric

Post by ric »

reread red mars trilogy. upon rereading dips in some places. still an overall cool read and recommendable to people who dont like sci fi. book lends itself to the episodic nature of modern content delivery as well in say netflix shows

in defense of a liberal education by fareed zakaria
good book. has some really good stuff in here. hes a little out of touch with the kids but also has some insight into the kids world (not the core of the book though)

the cia manual for psychological operations in guerilla warfare (written specifically for the nicaraguan guerillas)
pretty cool stuff. at least to see the ideas in play and how theyre structured and the organization is conceived and structured etc etc. short read which lends itself to those with cursory interest getting some access here. this manual also recommends the cia kubak interrogation manual from 1963 which you can google and download as a pdf which i just did to upload into the cloud