Books about the Mafia

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

admiral

Books about the Mafia

Post by admiral »

Just finished this bad boy about Richard "Ice Man" Kuklinski and it was one of the most interesting things I've ever read. He's the most notorious hitman the mob ever had - in addition to his own killings for personal reasons, he has around 200 bodies to his name, including the Paul Castellano hit (although he only shot his bodyguard). He fed people to rats while still alive, tortured them with roadflares, and would shoot people on the spot for driving rudely.

You can youtube a bunch of documentaries about him. In one of them, he says he gave a mark a half hour to pray to God to stop him from killing him. He shot him after the half hour was up (probably the most cold blooded shit I've ever heard).

What are some other great non-fiction books about the mafia?

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Underboss is a really good one....Sammy the Bull Gravano, it is basically about the downfall of John Gotti...

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

What about Wiseguy by Henry Hill, the source material for Goodfellas.
'Nuff said.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i hate to be a prick but Wise Guy was actually written by Nicholas Pileggi, Hill was teh source material. Although who teh fuck knows with these as told by X to Y collaborations

I remember the book i meant to put up here, The Valachi Papers by Peter Maas - basically a study guide to the mafia in its glory days
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

drizzle wrote:i hate to be a prick but Wise Guy was actually written by Nicholas Pileggi, Hill was teh source material. Although who teh fuck knows with these as told by X to Y collaborations

I remember the book i meant to put up here, The Valachi Papers by Peter Maas - basically a study guide to the mafia in its glory days
Yeah, I knew that.
'Nuff said.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

There's a book called "Rat Bastards" by John "Red" Shea that I enjoyed.

It talks about the Irish mafia in Boston. Shea never ratted anyone out to the cops, although the head guy Whitey Bulger did sell some people out. Definitely has some parallels to "The Departed". Bulger remains free to this day and I believe is one of the FBI's ten most wanted. There are a number of other books by people from the Irish mob as well.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

manwhore

Re: Books about the Mafia

Post by manwhore »

admiral wrote:Image

Just finished this bad boy about Richard "Ice Man" Kuklinski and it was one of the most interesting things I've ever read. He's the most notorious hitman the mob ever had - in addition to his own killings for personal reasons, he has around 200 bodies to his name, including the Paul Castellano hit (although he only shot his bodyguard). He fed people to rats while still alive, tortured them with roadflares, and would shoot people on the spot for driving rudely.

You can youtube a bunch of documentaries about him. In one of them, he says he gave a mark a half hour to pray to God to stop him from killing him. He shot him after the half hour was up (probably the most cold blooded shit I've ever heard).

i just watched some of those youtube movies and dude was a cold blooded savage.

no feelings whatsoever. no adrenaline rush. no high. no guilt.

straight sav.

mud

Post by mud »

"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

admiral

Post by admiral »

just finished Underboss

It was really interesting as well, but after a couple of these, apart from minor detail, it's all basically the same story over and over again

Money Gripp

Re: Books about the Mafia

Post by Money Gripp »

manwhore wrote:
admiral wrote:Image

i just watched some of those youtube movies and dude was a cold blooded savage.

no feelings whatsoever. no adrenaline rush. no high. no guilt.

straight sav.
I'm watching these again. He's so non-chalant about everything he talks about which is what makes it fascinating to watch. Truly a sick fuck.

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

look for a book named "The Plumber"

great read

machine

Post by machine »

gotta pick that up. ive seen about 4 hrs of interview footage of the ice man.
dude had a couple kills that stood out.

one was some starting at him at a bar. he follows him outside where the dude is pissing and without a word wraps a cord around his neck and hangs the dude on his own back, only letting go when his body went limp.

in another he walked up to somebody driving and shot them dead in the face with a crossbow, to see if it would work well.
most interesting serial killer around.

admiral

Post by admiral »

machine wrote:gotta pick that up. ive seen about 4 hrs of interview footage of the ice man.
dude had a couple kills that stood out.

one was some starting at him at a bar. he follows him outside where the dude is pissing and without a word wraps a cord around his neck and hangs the dude on his own back, only letting go when his body went limp.

in another he walked up to somebody driving and shot them dead in the face with a crossbow, to see if it would work well.
most interesting serial killer around.
the book goes into crazy detail about these and more. he used to just walk around the west side highway in NYC and kill homeless people just to try out different techniques

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

the iceman more than likely lied about a lot of stuff. he claims murders that nobody involved remembers him participating in