The Paul Verhoeven Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

The Paul Verhoeven Thread

Post by Spartan »

We've done a few John Carpenter threads and given him much deserved props as rightfully so, what's everyone's thoughts on the Dutch director, they're pretty much equals to me. Not even familiar with his homeland work but dude blessed us with some true treasures since the 80's. Some proper Hollywood gems here and some trashy ones too. What's your fave Verhoeven flick?

Flesh + Blood

Robocop

Total Recall

Basic Instinct

Showgirls

Starship Troopers

Hollow Man

and er yeah Black Book too.

:rofl: :arrow:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Writing off Black Book is a big mistake, that maybe his most accomplished work to date next to robocop.

i'm really curious about his early stuff, 4th man and Soldier of Orange and the like
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

total recall dvd commentary with him and arnold is funny shit..

the way they laugh a little too hard at the super violent sections like its a cartoon or some shit..

ANUBIS5

Post by ANUBIS5 »

I'm a big Robocop fan.. and there's nothing wrong with enjoying the consistant and tasteless two hours of nudity with Showgirls.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I am a big Verhoeven fan. Not as much as Fuckin' A but a fan. That maniac Dutchman can make a fucking movie.

Robocop - In my opinion his best. An absolute home run on all accounts. Great story. Excellent characters. Jaw droppingly violent. Sledge hammer commentary on American politics and capitalism.

Total Recall - Another home run. Very enjoyable. Arnold kills it. "If I'm not me, then who the hell am I?"

The Fourth Man - My favorite of his European films. Very dark. And just the right amount of bizarre Dutchness.

Soldier Of Orange - Been a long time since I've seen it. Remember liking it a lot.

Basic Instinct - This is where Verhoeven lost it. Not a bad movie but Verhoeven's Black Album. It was good, but not as good and the beginning of the end.

Starship Troopers - Not a big fan of this one. Not as sharp as most of his movies.

Hollow Man - Good.

I have never seen Spetters or Flesh And Blood or Black Book. Been meaning to. I've seen parts of Turkish Delight. Been purposely putting that one off.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

DO NOT SLEEP ON BLACK BOOK.

A Decoy Statesman

Post by A Decoy Statesman »

cascarrabias wrote:Robocop - In my opinion his best. An absolute home run on all accounts. Great story. Excellent characters. Jaw droppingly violent. Sledge hammer commentary on American politics and capitalism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FufYunT_4U

A Decoy Statesman

Post by A Decoy Statesman »

Oh also forgot to mention I love Verhoeven's Robocop and Total recall and haven't seen the others. May have seen Hollow Man but might just be mixing it up with the ridiculous Memoirs of An Invisible Man

ANUBIS5

Post by ANUBIS5 »

Does anyone have the Robocop uncut DVD in tin? I want to know what the extras are.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Does anyone have the Fourth Man dvd or a digitial copy they can upload and send me? Been trying to track it down for a while now.

Also, Flesh + Blood is seriously underrated.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

4th man blew my mind, i'll try to rip it for you

flesh + blood is pretty pretty great too

anybody got soldier of orange? rutger hauer 4 eva

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote:4th man blew my mind, i'll try to rip it for you
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

All i have yet to see from him are his early Dutch movies. Would love to get my hands on that box set that came out a few years ago that had all of them, but don't really feel like dropping a bill to get a used copy.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the only one of the dutch one that's easily available is spetters, but i'm not too hot for that one. Anchor Bay's stand alone soldier of orange goes for like 200 new or something, it's retarded

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Watched Black Book a few months back. Caught me by surprise as it was really fucking great.

Loki

Post by Loki »

youre downplaying the satiric effect of starship troopers. i think that's one of his more valuable movies when viewed on those terms.