Rest in Peace - Diego Corrales

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

LiQuiD6

Rest in Peace - Diego Corrales

Post by LiQuiD6 »

Code: Select all

Former two-division world champion Diego "Chico" Corrales, who lived as hard as he fought, died in a mororcycle crash Monday night in Las Vegas.

"He crashed on a motorcycle. It don't look like he made it through this," manager James Prince told ESPN.com as he was arriving on the scene. "He's dead."

Corrales, 29, will be remembered as one of the fiercest fighters of his era, a never-say-die warrior who thrilled legions of fans with several action-packed fights.

Although Corrales claimed four world titles in his career, two at junior lightweight and two at lightweight, he will be remembered most for his stunning come-from-behind knockout of Jose Luis Castillo in May 2005 to unify lightweight titles in a fight hailed as one of the greatest in boxing history. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=2863505

The best hip hop producer you never heard of:

www.myspace.com/liquid6dustmightz

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

Didnt see this before. Unlike most fighters today he was ready to brawl even if it meant him getting knocked out.

RIP

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Damn. RIP. Great fighter.

Butta
la princesa de PF

Post by Butta »

Corrales was driving a 2007 Suzuki 1000 motorcycle, traveling northbound on Fort Apache Road in the southwest part of the city, when it inexplicably struck the back of a 1997 Honda Accord, Las Vegas police spokesman Sgt. Tracy McDonald said.

McDonald said the motorcycle careened into the southbound lane and, at some point, he was tossed off the bike.

A 2004 Mercedes-Benz traveling in the southbound lane was unable to brake in time. McDonald said the driver, who was not identified, "was unable to avoid striking the motorcycle and possibly the operator of the motorcycle also."

:sad:

All white people look alike. They're like lighbulbs with shoes. - Squidbillies

"Cause fuck that son...anything dark in your dreams that is not rick james is not a good thing." - My Sister

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

From trub's thread:
[quote="Trub320"]Former two-division champion Corrales killed in Vegas
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Former two-division world champion Diego "Chico" Corrales, who lived as hard as he fought, died in a motorcycle crash Monday night in Las Vegas, two years to the day after his greatest triumph.

"He crashed on a motorcycle. It don't look like he made it through this," manager James Prince told ESPN.com as he was arriving on the scene. "He's dead. It's real sad."

Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
Former two-division champ Diego Corrales was one of the fiercest fighters of his era.
Prince said Corrales' body, covered in a sheet, was still laying in the street hours after the accident while police conducted an investigation.

Corrales, 29, will be remembered as one of the fiercest fighters of his era, a never-say-die warrior who thrilled legions of fans with several action-packed fights.

Although Corrales claimed four world titles in his career, two at junior lightweight and two at lightweight, he will be remembered most for his stunning come-from-behind knockout of Jose Luis Castillo to unify lightweight titles in a May 7, 2005 fight hailed as one of the greatest in boxing history.

Corrales and Castillo waged an epic slugfest that was named fight of the year. Castillo knocked Corrales down twice in the 10th round before turning the tables to score a dramatic knockout to end the all-time classic.

"That fight with Jose Luis Castillo will be remembered by many forever," said Gary Shaw, Corrales' promoter.

It was Corrales' last great moment in the ring. He would go on to lose his final three bouts -- the rematch with Castillo via a fourth-round knockout five months later, a decision in a rubber match against rival Joel Casamayor in October and a bad beating from Joshua Clottey in his welterweight debut on April 7.

A spokesman for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department confirmed that there had been a fatal motorcycle accident in the southwest part of the city at approximately 7:20 p.m. PT, but he would not identify the person killed.

"All we know is that he was riding on his bike, and they say he was going 100 mph and hit the back of a car," said Jin Mosley, the wife of welterweight star Shane Mosley and a close friend of Michelle Corrales, Diego's wife.

"He always told me he had to please the fans, and I should never worry about him getting knocked out. He would say they would have to carry him out of the ring. That's the way he fought. That's what made him so exciting."
-- Corrales' promoter George Shaw
Jin Mosley said she heard the news from Michelle, who is six months pregnant with their child. Michelle and Diego had been separated for the past few months.

"She's a mess," Jin Mosley said. "She was crying and I couldn't even understand her at first. She was crying, 'Diego is dead.' He just bought the bike not even a week ago."

Corrales was wearing a helmet, Prince said.

The Mosleys had just returned home to California from Las Vegas, where they had spent the past several days at the Floyd Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya fight, but planned to turn around Monday night and head back to Las Vegas to comfort Michelle.

"He lived on the edge," Shaw said. "He told me he skied like a wild man, he rode fast, he fought hard, sometimes recklessly, but to me he epitomized what fighters were about in the ring. He always told me he had to please the fans, and I should never worry about him getting knocked out. He would say they would have to carry him out of the ring. That's the way he fought. That's what made him so exciting."

Corrales, who was 40-5 with 33 knockouts in an 11-year pro career, is survived by his wife, four children and a step-daughter.

Corrales' philosophy was simple when it came to boxing.

"I just want to fight the top guys," he had said. "It is not about the money. You just want to see where you place. Where is your standing in your current time with all the best? The only way you can do that is by fighting the best, and that is what I do. I want to know where I place. Where do I rate with these guys? Am I really one of the best fighters out there, or am I a flash in the pan? So far, I have proved that I am one of the best out there, and I am fortunate for that. I am not a flash in the pan."

Corrales, who was born in Columbia, S.C., and grew up in Sacramento, Calif., before moving to Las Vegas a few years ago, won the IBF junior lightweight title in October 1999 by knocking out Roberto Garcia in the seventh round. Corrales made three defenses before relinquishing the belt to challenge Mayweather for his version of the title. Mayweather handed him his first defeat, knocking him down five times and stopping him in the 10th round of their January 2001 match.

Four months after the loss, Corrales was sentenced to two years in California state prison for beating his pregnant wife, Maria Corrales, who later divorced him.

Corrales spent a year in prison and resumed his career when he was released for good behavior. He would go on to win the vacant WBO junior lightweight title in March 2004, avenging a previous loss to Casamayor.

Corrales moved up to lightweight and won the WBO belt in August 2004 by rallying to stop Acelino "Popo" Freitas in the 10th round. Nine months later came his legendary first fight with Castillo, when he added the WBC title to his collection with one of the greatest comebacks in sports history.

The day before their October 2005 rematch, Castillo failed to make weight, coming in at 138

adverse

Post by adverse »

rip
ImageImage

kato

Post by kato »

r.i.p.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Damn :sad:

RIP to a true warrior
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Orale Holmes

Post by Orale Holmes »

damn...easily one of my favorite boxers. Its a shame that this has to happen to him...

RIP

FAZER

Post by FAZER »

I really became a fan after that first Castillo fight, one of if not the best fights I have ever seen.

Would have loved to have seen him in more fights, what a shame. A true warrior.

R.I.P.

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

Even though he was past his prime as proof by the beating he took from Clottery, he is still one of my fav fighters.

RIP

goldenstateofmind

Post by goldenstateofmind »

nobody can fuck with diego in fight night

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

was legally drunk when he crashed his motorcycle.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=2902353

Butta
la princesa de PF

Post by Butta »

shame.

All white people look alike. They're like lighbulbs with shoes. - Squidbillies

"Cause fuck that son...anything dark in your dreams that is not rick james is not a good thing." - My Sister