Young Black Actors

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

The Ivy League Nigga

Young Black Actors

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

So, who are some young black male actors you guys are excited about ( :pause: )?

Denzel is old. Morgan Freeman is old. Samuel L. is old. Will Smith has more grey hair than my father. Terrence Howard can still play a younger guy, but that's pushing it. And those are the five guys who seem to get all the major "black" roles.

Then you have some of the b-level guys, like Larenz Tate, Cuba Gooding, Taye Diggs. But these guys can't really headline a movie.

So who are the actors in their 20's or early 30's who have the potential to hold it down for the next 15-20 years?

I'll throw one out there:

Big fan of this guy... met him a few times. Wonder if he can branch out beyond the "hood" roles to have that real crossover appeal.

The Ivy League Nigga

Derek Luke is another one I had high hopes for, but he's already in his mid-thirties. Has he done anything of note since Antwone Fisher?

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

mos def is a quality actor

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

good call on marlo

I liked the guy who played Carver too, he's not the type to pull leads but I see him having a good future as a character actor
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

That kid who played D'Angelo on The Wire. Reminds me of a young Denzel.

The Ivy League Nigga

Combo7 wrote:That kid who played D'Angelo on The Wire. Reminds me of a young Denzel.
I mean, maybe... but do you really think they would cast that guy as a lead of a 70 million dollar movie like Will or Denzel or even Wesley Snipes? I'm talking about people who have the potential to be on that level.

Hollywood is constantly giving white actors their big break before 25, but rarely does a Black actor have that chance. Kinda sad.

What do you guys think about Anthony Mackie?

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

is there really no promising young black actors?

what a depressing thread.

other then guys from the Wire, there really is nobody? i want to be put on some young blood. no homo.

FAZER

Post by FAZER »

Not exactly young (mid 30's) but already getting lead roles.

kato

Post by kato »

Sean Nelson was a great child actor.

Played a really good lead role in the HBO mini-series The Corner.

I think if this kid gets a leading role, he'll do really well.

Douglas Silva and Darlan Cunha

These two Brazilian actors are great.

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:
Combo7 wrote:That kid who played D'Angelo on The Wire. Reminds me of a young Denzel.
I mean, maybe... but do you really think they would cast that guy as a lead of a 70 million dollar movie like Will or Denzel or even Wesley Snipes? I'm talking about people who have the potential to be on that level.

Hollywood is constantly giving white actors their big break before 25, but rarely does a Black actor have that chance. Kinda sad.

I can't say I'm a Papa Doc fan. Sorry.
'Nuff said.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

kato wrote:Image

Holy shit, the dude with the dreds in "The Corner" was the kid in "Fresh"? :ohsh:

God damn, I never put two and two together.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

damn there just arent really a lot of roles for young black actors.

tyrese is getting some run with transformers and the upcoming a-team

little man that played walt on lost might be able to do something as he gets a little older.

know who is a phenomenal little actress, the little girl from half nelson. i know its a bit off topic but she gave one of the most impressive performances i have seen in a few years.

The Ivy League Nigga

The Drunken Poet wrote:

I can't say I'm a Papa Doc fan. Sorry.
Either do I, to be honest.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Roy Johnson wrote:
kato wrote:Image

Holy shit, the dude with the dreds in "The Corner" was the kid in "Fresh"? :ohsh:

God damn, I never put two and two together.

Roy, you are detail oriented and factually minded.
That you didn't realize Sean Nelson played both roles means you are a fucking racist, motherfucker.
peace,

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

Saul Williams held it down in K-Pax.

Deviant283

Post by Deviant283 »

i was gonna make a topic similar to this, but before i ask the question i'll answer the question at hand.

i actualy cant answer the question at hand. shit is sad.

its really tough on young black actors these days. if the old heads mentioned in the first post are getting larger roles and the rest are being given to rappers then what are the young black actors who actually want to make their only career acting supposed to do. not to mention only being able to get the typical nigger roles hollywood throws on the floor for them.

maybe one person i can say is Jurnee Smolette. she was on full house as a kid. grew up to be super pretty and co starred in "The Great Debaters" with Denzel Washington. did a hell of a job in that.

yes indeed, yes indeed. i think she has a real good future ahead of her.

the question i have is, what are some really good, well done black movies that depict black people as at least half way decent. i'm so tired of these nigger movies. we should be past that shit by now. one movie i can think of off the top is a movie from a couple years back called "30 Years to Life". granted half the cast was on the cosby show at one point but it was a good black movie. "Boomerang", although not cinema genius, showed black people in a succesful light. i know theres others but maybe someone knows some other movies i may not know about.

all apologies for the article.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Don't sleep on Mos Def. I know he maybe is too old for this thread, but dude has mad charisma and he could pull in some big roles. When you outshine Jack Black in a comedy that's saying something. Mos won't make it Will Smith big, but I can see him landing consistent roles in big budget "indie" films . . . the kind of stuff Soderberg and Clooney finance and getting supporting roles in big budget films. They should do a Lethal Weapon spin off with him and Downey Jr. or something, lol.

And Sean Nelson is a fucking beast. He killed The Corner.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Icesickle wrote:Don't sleep on Mos Def. I know he maybe is too old for this thread, but dude has mad charisma and he could pull in some big roles. When you outshine Jack Black in a comedy that's saying something. Mos won't make it Will Smith big, but I can see him landing consistent roles in big budget "indie" films . . . the kind of stuff Soderberg and Clooney finance and getting supporting roles in big budget films. They should do a Lethal Weapon spin off with him and Downey Jr. or something, lol.

And Sean Nelson is a fucking beast. He killed The Corner.
jack black isnt funny

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ALASKA wrote: jack black isnt funny

The Ivy League Nigga

Deviant283 wrote:

the question i have is, what are some really good, well done black movies that depict black people as at least half way decent. i'm so tired of these nigger movies. we should be past that shit by now. one movie i can think of off the top is a movie from a couple years back called "30 Years to Life". granted half the cast was on the cosby show at one point but it was a good black movie. "Boomerang", although not cinema genius, showed black people in a succesful light. i know theres others but maybe someone knows some other movies i may not know about.

I never saw "30 Years to Life".

The problem with Black cinema, to me, is that there's either the shuck-and-jive stupid comedy or there is some super-idealized version of what the filmmaker wants Black life to be a la "Brown Sugar" or "Love Jones."

I think where Black movies are most successful are when they are striving to present a good story with well rounded characters, because the problem with the two kinds of movies I just mentioned above are the fact that they are presenting types. So movies like "Hustle and Flow" or "Slam" (while not perfect) present really interesting characters first and sensationalize their criminal behavior second. It's also why "The Wire" works so well, I think.

Another major problem is Hollywood is only concerned with producing one type of Black movie at a time. Right now it seems to be the dance-battle movie, but it could be shifting back to the family-drama (think Soul Food). We'll see. But the point is, Hollywood studios don't promote diversity within Black cinema the same way they do within mainstream (read: white) cinema.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

sherm what's your take on Tyler Perry?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Ivy League Nigga

drizzle wrote:sherm what's your take on Tyler Perry?
I never got into him. I'm into, more than anything else, dramas... the more depressing or bleak the better. So his whole uplifting, vaguely religious steez is kinda lost on me.

You HAVE to respect his hustle though. When all is said and done, he may go down as one of the most prolific filmmakers of the modern era. But I think the general consensus recently is it's quantity and not quality.

Is there anybody here who likes this guy?

The Drunken Poet

Deviant283 wrote:i was gonna make a topic similar to this, but before i ask the question i'll answer the question at hand.

its really tough on young black actors these days. if the old heads mentioned in the first post are getting larger roles and the rest are being given to rappers then what are the young black actors who actually want to make their only career acting supposed to do. not to mention only being able to get the typical nigger roles hollywood throws on the floor for them.

maybe one person i can say is Jurnee Smolette. she was on full house as a kid. grew up to be super pretty and co starred in "The Great Debaters" with Denzel Washington. did a hell of a job in that.

I love this chick, since the days of Eve's Bayou.
'Nuff said.

The Ivy League Nigga

The Drunken Poet wrote:
Deviant283 wrote:i was gonna make a topic similar to this, but before i ask the question i'll answer the question at hand.

In that picture she looks a little bit like you know who, doesn't she?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote:sherm what's your take on Tyler Perry?
I never got into him. I'm into, more than anything else, dramas... the more depressing or bleak the better. So his whole uplifting, vaguely religious steez is kinda lost on me.

You HAVE to respect his hustle though. When all is said and done, he may go down as one of the most prolific filmmakers of the modern era. But I think the general consensus recently is it's quantity and not quality.

Is there anybody here who likes this guy?
Armond White does, lol.

Deviant283

Post by Deviant283 »

some of tyler perrys movies at least show black people as succesful. which i have absolutley no problem with. its just some of his movies are not very good.

ivy league i understand what your saying with hollywood going from one extreme to the next with black movies. but when it comes to the extreme of what the film makers think black life should be like, i would rather see that over a goofy ass shoot em up or a movie of nothing more than ignorance through black people. granted alot of that shit is real life so some movies have a bit of truth behind it (the shoot em ups in particular) but neither the movie or real life are doing anything for anybody.

but thats why i enjoyed the movie "30 Years to Life". it had a bit of every characteristic black people are familiar with and can relate to with out it being to sambo or to uncle tom. could have been a better movie overall but for what it was it was good. if you ever get a chance check it out.

The Drunken Poet

The Drunken Poet wrote:

Damn, no kidding! She sure does. Yeah, so I got a type.
'Nuff said.

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

The Drunken Poet wrote:
The Drunken Poet wrote:

Damn, no kidding! She sure does. Yeah, so I got a type.
she looks like the girl that played Michelle's friend in "Full House," but all grown up. If that's her then :ohsh:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Tyler Perry directs his movies too much like his plays so sometimes some of the acting is too over the top. The closest he came to good acting was "Diary" and that was about it. His plays only blow because some of the singers can send chills thru your body. That and black people love Jesus.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Deviant283 wrote:
maybe one person i can say is Jurnee Smolette. .
I came in here to say her. She is EXCELLENT in every role I've seen her play.

Sean Nelson needs more roles. He is terrific too
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"