Pootie Tang

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ackbar
Super Canadian

Pootie Tang

Post by ackbar »

when released i always assumed this movie was a terrible neo-blaxploitation comedy (which may be true). the level comedic talent involved is ridiculous tho.. directed by louis ck. featuring chris rock, jb smoove (aka leon), dave attell, andy richter, david cross, todd barry, etc. is this movie really as bad as i originally thought? i'm willing to concede that louis may have done a questionable job as a director.. but there has to be at least some funny ass parts in this movie right?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

sa da tay

The first ten minutes are perfection.
Easily the hardest I've ever laughed in a theater.
David Cross as the fake Pootie is hilarity.
JB Smoove looking for the white lady yelling out "pretty girl! pretty girl!" is my favorite part of the movie.
The dude who responds to Chris Rock only saying shit like "oh, its hot out too" is :lol: :lol: :lol: .
The whole movie being a clip :lol: :lol:
Bob Costas
Kristen Bell

Pootie Tang owns.
One of my favorite movies.
Watch it now.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

this movie is so fucking hilarious
wa da ta my damie

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

Lid

Post by Lid »

one of the funniest movies ever.

lol @ leavin that groupie ho a bowl of milk

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

"Pootie Tang will draw you a picture of how he gonna kick your ass, then mail it to you ten days in advance. The picture gets there right? You're goin', "What the hell is this?" and then Pootie Tang knocks on your door, Promptly kicks your ass and you still won't know what happened to you!"

Hilarious movie.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

pootie tang is outstanding

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

one of the only movies i actually went and saw twice in the theater. that corn stalk that he nurses back to life is :lol:

mud

Post by mud »

The most disappointing movie I've ever seen.

Pretty much garbage.

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

darkwingduck wrote:one of the only movies i actually went and saw twice in the theater. that corn stalk that he nurses back to life is :lol:
hahaha, forgot about taht

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

I don't understand how Pootietang can be hated on. Actually, I do but I think these people are crazy.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

this movie grows on you like fungus
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Karisma

Post by Karisma »

Yall overrating the fuck outta this movie

Pootie Tang is a movie people say they like, because other people said they
liked it and anyone who didnt just doesnt get it

When in actuality its better than bad but is still not too good

Overly hated, overly loved
"Daddies home...Niggas is Scared, Way before I put the Key in the Door"-Jigga

/\ Bernard Pollards House

...He hit Tom just above the shoes, and poured
MORTON salt in our Superbowl Wounds!!

YALL READY TO RIDE ON THIS FOOL??
RAWBLE RAWBLE

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

Louis CK wrote:Well, what can I say about Pootie Tang? This movie is probably the best thing that ever happened to me and at the same time it was a very painful kick in my ass. Making the movie was an exhilerating experience. All of the actors were great and I loved my crew. However, when I started to edit it became imminently clear that the studio and I had very different movies in mind. I was making a very weird little low budget movie that I expected would open at Sundance or some place like that, and they were making the next Austin Powers. Subsequently, neither of us got the movie we wanted because they did not provide me the freedom to make the film I wanted and I did not provide them with the footage to make theirs. So they, being the folks who pay the bills and own the movie, added a couple of music videos to the front and back, put in voice over and added some weird stock footage, to try to create a new film out of the one I tried to make. I will say that most of the scenes themselves still resemble the way I cut them, and the jokes are still working, but it's the overall package that was their idea and not mine. Well, the result is pretty monstrous BUT at least they released the film, partly due to the tenacity and courage of one Chris Rock, who hung on and kept working with them, finding a way for them to like the film again. I'll always be grateful to Chris for getting Pootie made and getting it released.The only thing I wish is that, when they released the film, they had let folks know that it was a low budget film. Anyone who thinks I spent more than 3 million on Pootie Tang would think that I'm a pretty shitty filmmaker.

Anyway, it was a tremendous learning experience. I don't blame anyone but me for the lack of quality in the film. I mean, even if you did enjoy it, you have to admit it's a pretty fucked up picture. It would be easy for me to say that they took it away from me and that they messed it up. But the fact is that, as a director, part of your job is to shepard your film through the studio process and have it come through intact. It was my first studio film and it was a very aggresively non-linear, unconventional movie so I really created quite a task for myself, but it was still my job. And I believe that when you sign a contract stating that you serve at the pleasure of the studio, you can't then complain when they do what they want with their property.

The great thing about movies is that, unlike TV shows, they never get cancelled. Also, movies never stop building a fan base. It's been a great success on Video and HBO and I never stop hearing about it from people all over. I'm really happy that it's taken off. Just because it isn't in the form that I wanted it to be in, and just because I vomit every time I watch fourteen seconds or more of it, doesn't mean I'm not really happy that people are watching it and loving it more and more as time goes on. It's still my Pootie Tang that I thought up. It's still my story that I wrote and directed. It's still my very good friends up there being intensely funny and I can say in many ways I'm very proud of the film.

About the language.... I get a lot of people asking me if there is a dictionary to Pootie Language or what certain words mean. The thing is, his language doesn't function like other languages. To Pootie, words don't have meaning, they are merely an instrument he plays to express himself. It's kind of like if Miles Davis is playing a "C" or an "A" it means wildly different things every time he plays them. He isn't saying to his audience. Hello, C, A, G minor, B. He's using those notes to say something else. This is true of Pootie also. I have a lot more to say about this and I plan to write something a lot longer soon to explain it, but that's a start.

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

cool bit on the pootie language.

i wonder what his version of the movie was like

Karisma

Post by Karisma »

Just as average
"Daddies home...Niggas is Scared, Way before I put the Key in the Door"-Jigga

/\ Bernard Pollards House

...He hit Tom just above the shoes, and poured
MORTON salt in our Superbowl Wounds!!

YALL READY TO RIDE ON THIS FOOL??
RAWBLE RAWBLE

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

Daddy Tang is gonna whip you with his belt for that bullshit.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

this girl my roommate has been hanging out with claims Pootie Tang is her favorite movie.
I seriously questioned this girl's taste in all things media, but after finding out that Louis CK wrote and directed this film...

I'll probably let her bring her copy over sometime to watch.
I had no idea he was part of that shit.

I remember when that movie came out, I was thinking Black Austin Powers but way worse and incredibly stupid.
I'll give it a shot though

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

One of the least watchable movies ever made. If you claim to enjoy this movie you are full of shit.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

blastmaster wrote:One of the least watchable movies ever made. If you claim to enjoy this movie you are full of shit.
:arrow: :arrow:

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Shit looked retarded as fuck when it came out and I never watched it.

That said, I've probably seen The Ladies Man upwards of 20 times and I've taken The Substitute trilogy on VHS with me through four different apartment moves (even though I don't own a VHS plaver).

Will check it out.

I like the overall topic of this thread though, as there are certainly some AWFUL fucking movies which really have no reasonable excuse for being bad (guess pootie wasn't one of them though). When I read snackbars first post all I could think of was

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

I LOVE THE LADIES MAN

id like to buy you a fish sandwich

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Can't really watch Pootie Tang anymore. Used to love it years ago, but I don't know if it'll hold up. It's been awhile, so I gotta revisit.

I love almost all Rob Sneider movies.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

rob sneider has no redeeming qualities

the mention of 'screwed' prompted me to imdb the much superior 'dirty work'. i feel much worse now knowing/being reminded that was directed by bob saget

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

SCARLENE wrote:I LOVE THE LADIES MAN

id like to buy you a fish sandwich
So... you...uhh...don't want a fish sandwich?

:rofl:

GOAT is still:

What is love? What is this longing in our hearts for togetherness? Is it not the sweetest flower? Does not this flower of love have the fragrant aroma of fine, fine diamonds? Does not the wind love the dirt? Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to? Are you with someone tonight? Do not question your love. Take your lover by the hand. Release the power within yourself. Your heard me, release the power. Tame the wild cosmos with a whisper. Conquer heaven with one intimate caress. That's right don't be shy. Whip out everything you got and do it in the butt.

Lid

Post by Lid »

most people dont even know ladies man exist. that movie is funny as fuck

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

PopeyeJones wrote:

this movie is hilariously bad and everyone involved knows it and just dont give a fuck.
the ending with sherman hemsley is :lol:

mud

Post by mud »

DudleyDawson wrote:sherman hemsley

"bonafied queer"...