New Freddy Krueger Actor Revealed

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

New Freddy Krueger Actor Revealed

Post by Spartan »

Taken from http://www.riskybusinessblog.com/2009/0 ... reddy.html
Jackie Earle Haley is the new Freddy Krueger.

The actor will star as the iconic screen villain in New Line's redo of "A Nightmare on Elm Street," taking over the role that was played by Robert Englund.

The original "Nightmare," released in 1984, helped establish New Line and spawned a slew of movies. Krueger is a serial child killer murdered by angry parents who returns to terrorize teens in their dreams.

Krueger's burned face, his razor glove and his red-and-green sweater became instantly recognizable images as well as popular Halloween costumes.

Samuel Bayer is directing the relaunch, which was written by Wesley Strick. The pic starts lensing May 5 in Chicago.

Platinum Dunesג€™ Andrew Form and Brad Fuller are producing. John Rickard is co-producing. Richard Brener, Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter are overseeing for New Line.

The role would cap a whirlwind couple of years for Haley, who made a splash in the 1970s as a child star in movies like "The Bad News Bears" then faded in the early 1990s. He left the business, and wound up working odd jobs in Texas.

Haley burst back on the scene in 2006 playing a pedophile in Todd Field's "Little Children," and also appeared in ג€œSemi-Proג€ with Will Ferrell, both for New Line, and indie drama "Winged Creature." He was praised for his portrayal of Rorschach in the recent "Watchmen" and next appears in Martin Scorseseג€™s "Shutter Island."

ג€œLooking at his performance in 'Watchmen,ג€™ hereג€™s a guy playing a character under a mask yet you feel tremendous empathy for him,ג€ said Bayer of the actor. ג€œAnd in Nightmare,ג€™ he is going to be under prosthetic make-up. You have to feel something for the character. The greatest villains are multi-dimensional and I think he will bring that to the character.ג€

Bayer, who called this take of Krueger ג€œNosferatu meets Ed Gaines,ג€ is not
afraid that Hayley is in any danger of being typecast the way Englund was.
ג€œItג€™s what you bring to the material. Heג€™s a well-rounded actor who will not
be stereotyped by this. If anything, heג€™ll be celebrated for it.ג€

The actor had been one of several actors on the shortlist to play the part. But scheduling issues almost scotched the deal. Haley, repped by CAA and Leslie Allan-Rice Management, is also working on TV series "Human Target," which led to conflicting dates.

Well, I'm not mad with the choice but Platinum Dunes have made some god awful movies in recent years. They better make this special.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

:cheers: :bow:

oF COURSE. ingenius.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

that's actually pretty brilliant.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

jackie earle haley must be so geeked about the roles he's been getting since little children.

one of my coworkers took a film class at USC where he came in as a guest speaker around 2004/2005 and he was still known as "the kid from bad news bears."

he was talking about how hard it was being an actor in hollywood, particularly a child actor grown up, and still loving to act but not getting any rolls. oh how the tides have turned.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

intuition wrote:jackie earle haley must be so geeked about the roles he's been getting since little children.

one of my coworkers took a film class at USC where he came in as a guest speaker around 2004/2005 and he was still known as "the kid from bad news bears."

he was talking about how hard it was being an actor in hollywood, particularly a child actor grown up, and still loving to act but not getting any rolls. oh how the tides have turned.
Wait a minute...that dude is Kelly Leak from "Bad News Bears"?

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Money Gripp wrote:
intuition wrote:jackie earle haley must be so geeked about the roles he's been getting since little children.

BINGO!

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Trademark wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:

BINGO!

:naswtf: I didn't even know that guy was still alive. Good for him.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

A fan made trailer, that's surprisingly cool.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxPmOP1_HIY&re ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxPmOP1_HIY&re ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Money Gripp wrote:

thats Mr. Kelly Leak, show so respect.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

you guys are really excited about this? the original ones are classic, there is no point for a remake.

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

^You would think that with today's CGI they would be able to make falling into beds, sofas, and other inanimate shit rawer in the remake, but it probably won't.

Still gonna watch it, though.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

^^ no doubt, you can definitely have a get together with movies like NoES... the old ones used to scare the fuck out of me as a kid...Jason was worse though...

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

looking forward to this, i am.

really like the first 3, 4th was alright, then from 5 on it started getting stale.

but nightmare on elm st movies were a big part of my childhood so im always excited about a new one.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Actually prior to the sixth movie, the sequels were enjoyable and followed on nicely from one another. Still, Freddy became more and more comical with each installment. Hopefully the remake will take him back to his dark supernatural style roots and not a court jester.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

how does Robert Englund feel about this?

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

what they wont do for money.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

No reason NOT to do this, as far as I'm concerned.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

freddy vs. jason was fantastic. anyone that says different sucks.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

ALASKA wrote:freddy vs. jason was fantastic. anyone that says different sucks.

Seeing this in the theater was a fantastic experience. People stading and cheering when the Destiny's Child chick got killed and shit. I thought they were making another one of these?

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Combo7 wrote:

Seeing this in the theater was a fantastic experience. People stading and cheering when the Destiny's Child chick got killed and shit. I thought they were making another one of these?
the first kill in the movie was awesome. i had to buy the dvd.

I heard there was supposed to be more as well, but with other killers.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Spartan wrote:A fan made trailer, that's surprisingly cool.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxPmOP1_HIY&re ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxPmOP1_HIY&re ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

written, produced, directed by Chris Johnson, starring Chris Johnson, Chris Johnson LLC... Set and Art design by Chris Johnson..A Chris Johnson film starring Chris Johnson...

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ALASKA wrote:
Combo7 wrote:

the first kill in the movie was awesome. i had to buy the dvd.

I heard there was supposed to be more as well, but with other killers.
Definitely a fan of that movie despite the annoying teens. It stays pretty faithful to the origins of both characters too.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

i'm gonna watch this. I thought part two was ok but one and three were really good. especially when that dude got merked in his room while his pops was right aside. keep the wisecracks to a minimum and have cgi enhance it it'll be alright.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

What was that self-aware Elmstreet movie, where Wes Craven and Robert Englund played themselves? I remember that being pretty dark and light on shenanigans.

Regardless of which route they take, Haley is a great choice and will probably kill this role.

mishk

Post by mishk »

News Flash Eminem is the new Freddy

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Combo7 wrote:What was that self-aware Elmstreet movie, where Wes Craven and Robert Englund played themselves? I remember that being pretty dark and light on shenanigans.

Regardless of which route they take, Haley is a great choice and will probably kill this role.
Wes Craven's New Nightmare

It was a pretty good concept and a decent way to sign off the whole franchise. Also served as a prototype to the horror know-it-alls for the soap operatic Scream franchise.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

First teaser pic from the new remake.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I'm eager for this.

Was I the only one who adored New Nightmare? It might be my second favorite in the entire series.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Was I the only one who adored New Nightmare? It might be my second favorite in the entire series.
No, I enjoyed it alot and although it was the last one, the change in direction and Wes's involvement were a breath of fresh air after the monumental fuck up that was Freddy's Final Nightmare.

It's my third fave in the series, behind A Nightmare On Elm Street and Dream Warriors.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »