Megalon- Penny For Your Thoughts appreciation

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Megalon- Penny For Your Thoughts appreciation

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Realized I hadn't listened to this album in a while and broke it out for the afternoon. I honestly think, shitty sound quality aside, this is one of the best "street" records to come out this decade. And part of what makes it really singluar to me is the fact that Megalon, for better or worse, pretty much seemed to ignore anything outside of his own head when he made Penny. There is no pandering, no trends, no attempts at throwback-ism, no tempering of the fast-rap-stuff that is pretty unpopular as of the last 15 years...just a rapper taking you into their world. The album is original, cohesive and heartfelt. And of course, there is Rainblood...
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

yeah-
I love that shit. post a link to the album bro. I lost my CD copy of it.

Is Monsta Isle Czars releasing another full legnth anytime soon or ever?

that would let hiphop end in the divine black Earth future of 2025 and love
would rule

big up megalon, rodan, lil sci , doom
www.conspiracyscreations.com
everybody sharing all the food, liquor, drugs, and money for free spiritual knowledge and PUSSY....
extraterrestrial illumination has been discovered!(Really.)
top 10-BUSTA-RZA-AZ-REDMAN-NAPTRON-APATHY-ABSTRACT RUDE-BLACK THOUGHT-DR DRE-SCARFACE (and Supernatural as a bonus 11*)
2010 C

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

word up, Tommy Gunn aka Megalon is my probably my favorite MC.
i wish he would put more stuff out.

You gotta cop his 2nd record THE NICKEL BAG, shit bangs too. but hes only on every other track, the rest are from his brother Raylong

and I doubt we will see another monsta island release. megalon isn't even in the group anymore, and he doesn't even use the name megalon anymore,,,
i dont think rodan is down with them anymore, neither is kamackeris aka kwite def......and i dont think x-ray is in the crew anymore either

i was told that maybe a year and a half ago they had like 30 songs recorded for a monsta island record, but grimm decided to scrap them all and start fresh, but nothings been put out as of yet

the group is mostly made up of newer younger members now that were not on the first LP

what i really wish would leak somehow is the album recorded PRIOR to escape from monsta island, called "the next 1000 years"

the closest you can hear to new shit is a couple monsta island member collabs is checking out the Kong record KONGCRETE, or the new junclassic record

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Conspiracy wrote:yeah-
I love that shit. post a link to the album bro. I lost my CD copy of it.

Is Monsta Isle Czars releasing another full legnth anytime soon or ever?

that would let hiphop end in the divine black Earth future of 2025 and love
would rule

big up megalon, rodan, lil sci , doom
I not only do not know how to upload albums but also probably should not for myriad other reasons though.

I have not heard anything about the original Czars putting out new shit as a group, but that Kong album was deserving of a lot more attention. It also has 2 pretty scathing Doom disses.

panty_inspector

Post by panty_inspector »

nickel bag album was one of fav. from last yr...the ray long songs on there were dope too

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I thought this album was pretty patchy to be honest, but had a couple of bangers on it. 'Street Souljaz' was sick.

I had a lot of time for M.I.C. Thought they made some dope music. I still bump Megalon's "Peace to the Homeless" on the reg'.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Is 'Nickel Bag' worth a listen? Trawling for a download...

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:I thought this album was pretty patchy to be honest, but had a couple of bangers on it. 'Street Souljaz' was sick.

I had a lot of time for M.I.C. Thought they made some dope music. I still bump Megalon's "Peace to the Homeless" on the reg'.
I think "They dont make em like me no more", "No! Just Us", "Street Souljaz", "12 Disciplez", "What a Bum", "Feel It (Hit List)", "No Pain", "Rainblood", "Revalations", "Thugs Cry", "When I Go Out", and both tracks with Ray Long are all great. The mixes are not very good and not every beat is complete fire but basically as an album, this shit is really cohesive and intense to me. I have no problem listening to it all the way through but I can see why some people might have to skip around.

This is not a record I listen to every day or anything but when you put it on, its some powerful shit. "Thugs Cry" is a perfect example of this.

LONDON!

Re: Megalon- Penny For Your Thoughts appreciation

Post by LONDON! »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:Realized I hadn't listened to this album in a while and broke it out for the afternoon. I honestly think, shitty sound quality aside, this is one of the best "street" records to come out this decade. And part of what makes it really singluar to me is the fact that Megalon, for better or worse, pretty much seemed to ignore anything outside of his own head when he made Penny. There is no pandering, no trends, no attempts at throwback-ism, no tempering of the fast-rap-stuff that is pretty unpopular as of the last 15 years...just a rapper taking you into their world. The album is original, cohesive and heartfelt. And of course, there is Rainblood...
yeah if your talking about mf grimm ft megalon's 'rainblood' off of mf grimm's album from 2002, downfall of the iblyss then i'm wit you 100%, that tunes sick

can anyone give me a link to megalon's penny for your thoughts album?

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

So yeah, I had a listen to this 'Nickle Bag' mixtape - thanks to House of Games. Fucking dope. Extremely grimy sounding. Sounds like it was recorded about 10 years ago. One of the best albums I listened to all year.