new MF DOOM interview

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

new MF DOOM interview

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

The following is an email interview received via DOOM's management, in response to questions submitted by EYE WEEKLY. It has not been altered or edited.

Do you intend to create new characters completely separate from DOOM and those that already exist, such as Ghidra? Why or why not?
The characters have always been here. Some you know of and some you have yet to meet.

I understand youג€™re about to reissue Operation: Doomsday. Looking back at DOOM and how heג€™s changed as a character since the beginning, where do you see him going in the future? For example, would you show DOOM confronting the aging process, or is he like a superhero who stays roughly the same age in every subsequent story?
Every age that he's been he still is. He is speaking to the youth from an older point of view. Next record he might be a toddler. Word.

What made you decide to move from New York to Atlanta?
Here on the dark side of Jupiter, the weather is great around this time of the year. Atlanta and New York are both home as well.

A particular rhyme from ג€œBallskinג€ (ג€œHe wears a mask so when he dons his face / Each and every race, could absorb the bassג€) reminded me of musicians like Sun Ra and P-Funk who said they were aliens, which some people thought was because being aliens meant you could live among the human race without having to deal with racial politics. Is that why DOOM wears the mask? (If not, can you clarify what the line means?)
It's "dogs his face." It means when his face is distorted, you will pay attention to the music.

Youג€™ve said that the reason to come to a DOOM concert is to listen, not to watch. If I come to a DOOM show and close my eyes, what will I hear that I canג€™t hear on a DOOM album? How will the experience be different?
When you have a bunch of like-minded people together in the same place to enjoy music, there is an exchange of energy amongst us all. That dynamic makes it a unique experience for the listener as well as the artist.

Are there any record labels that you would like to work with for a second album? Will the next Madvillain album come out on Stones Throw? Isnג€™t it a lot of work to find a new label every time?
Sure. We'll work with any labels in the whole world as long as they treat their employees fairly.True. Stones Throw for the next Madvillain record. Workin on some more stuff for Lex/EMI. Good situations present themselves naturally.

Regarding the next Madvillain, do you and Madlib work together in the same room, or do you record your contributions separately?
Both.

How did you hook up with Empress Stahrr and John Robinson? Do you plan to work with either of them in the future, and if so, on what?
We always do good work together. You'll hear more in your future.

Have you turned down requests from other MCs for your beats or verses? If so, which ones, and why?
Nope. I'll work with everybody.

Your collaboration with Jake One was incredible. Are there any producers out there youג€™d like to hook up with whom you havenג€™t yet?
Yep. Whoever we haven't hooked up with yet.

Outside of hip-hop, what writers or other types of artists do you admire, and why?
Johnny Cash, John Coltrane, and John Beluschi. [sic]

How do you think youג€™ll be remembered? Do you think your reputation will grow after youג€™re gone?
Energy can never be created or destroyed. Always did, does, and will exsist.

Have you ever considered returning to doing music as Daniel Dumile, and making it more directly autobiographical?
Why or why not? Huh? I'm not sure what you mean. He's always him.
:doom:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

how do we know he didn't have a random fat guy type this up for him...
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

supnick

Post by supnick »

i'd like to hear him flip a coltrane sample

madvillainy 2 = most anticipated of 2010

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

word nick... agree completely... first one is one of my most bumped albums of the last 10 years...

fancy clown is my shit
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

supnick wrote:i'd like to hear him flip a coltrane sample

same, but do you see it happening this year supnick?, Madlib is pretty busy this year and I don't think Madvilliany 2 is even finished yet.

supnick

Post by supnick »

i can see doom getting around to finishing his verses somewhere in the third q of this year

THE GANG

Post by THE GANG »

YES

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Great interview. Mad articulate.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Dusty Fingers wrote:how do we know he didn't have a random fat guy type this up for him...
:rofl: at this and at his mad short, non committal answers.

It will definitely be a good year for me if Madvillain 2, the Roc Marcy, the
Boss Money, and the Jay Electronica albums drop.

I really don't think Doom is the problem with his stuff taking so long
to drop. I believe he has stacks of verses, beats, and songs ready to go.

Stepfather

Post by Stepfather »

That interview was a waste of time...sounds like his wife did it.
The Jizzer!!!

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeE4nXD-7_g

always wanted to know what this sample is from Next Levels, sounds a lot like coltrane to me. not that Im a full-on jazz head so it might not be him

ogie

Post by ogie »

:lastweek:

Verge

Post by Verge »

vaporized2 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeE4nXD-7_g

always wanted to know what this sample is from Next Levels, sounds a lot like coltrane to me. not that Im a full-on jazz head so it might not be him
I been looking for this sample for years. I have no idea what it's from.
Could be a BLue Note. I dunno.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Dusty Fingers wrote:how do we know he didn't have a random fat guy type this up for him...
:rofl:

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Verge wrote: I been looking for this sample for years. I have no idea what it's from.
Could be a BLue Note. I dunno.
yeah me neither, I have asked in other places as well. if you ever find out then let me know and I'll do the same

Verge

Post by Verge »

No doubt, vapo.

supnick

Post by supnick »

sometimes i really think another king geedorah album might be doper than a new madvillainy album